• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Maybe, you are probably right.
Fortnite's insane popularity is a law unto itself.

It was also smart for established comic fans, cause I remember Marvel readers bitching every title had a moment in the story that had the character leaving out to play Fortnite lol. This is relatively self contained, no crossover with existing runs. No one's toes get stepped on.

Like I said this isn't gonna set the world on fire, but the sales will be bananas by virtue of getting parents into LCS asking for the new Fortnite comic. Genius really.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Marauders-22-cover.jpg

Well then

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they still fighting Shaw

I was thinking of bailing on Marauders when the second trade was like five issues of people being sad and then boom Kitty's back but man. Just had zero pirate adventure going on.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Kyle Higgins is saying Radiant Black is going to feature some characters from Cowl in the future (issue 4).

I just dont like the art style in Radiant Black. Its like Ultimate Spider-Man x early Invincible. Inferno Girl Red looks much better.

But I bet itll rival his Power Rangers stuff.

I want this car IRL:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the X-Men in the MCU have the classic 90s team and then later they do the other mutants.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yea, you go all in on Jim Lee's X-Men with Gambit and Psylocke first thing in the MCU, with the leather and pouches!

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced that this lockdown in Ireland is designed to stop me from seeing Demon Slayer Mugen Train in the cinemas...

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Lourdes is a pretty deep cut. I don't remember her, and then I found out that she was introduced and killed off in the same issue of Classic X-Men (which I've never read for its new pages/back-ups/whatever). Interesting.
Yeah, she's Sebastian Shaw's one true love.,

Her story is being reprinted and included with Marauders 21 and now she's on the cover of 22.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Yeah, she's Sebastian Shaw's one true love.,

Her story is being reprinted and included with Marauders 21 and now she's on the cover of 22.
That should be fun. Going all out with old Hellfire Club members for the gala with Harry Leland on that cover, too. I really need to catch up with the line—hopefully by the time the gala starts.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Caught up on Guardians of the Galaxy. Current run is good and the bendis era was rough. Also been reading Fantastic 4 and immortal hulk. I havent been this interested in the hulk since planet hulk.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Saga on hiatus anyway?
Fiona was exhausted and the break was intended to let her (and Brian, too, of course) recharge and then get ahead of schedule. As for why they've stepped over their initial planned deadline by multiple years now, they've never answered. It's speculated that either Fiona really is getting -way- ahead of her work, or that a mixture of being super burned out and real-life has kept her from wanting to return. Fiona got married in Saga's last arc and then she's since had a kid, so how much that's taken priority...
I don't know if Marauders is actually good because I don't trust the opinions of Emma Frost stans
you're just afraid to learn if you're an emma stan, too
thanks for doing this tim! i'm not joining since i don't play fortnite, but it's cool of ya.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Fiona was exhausted and the break was intended to let her (and Brian, too, of course) recharge and then get ahead of schedule. As for why they've stepped over their initial planned deadline by multiple years now, they've never answered. It's speculated that either Fiona really is getting -way- ahead of her work, or that a mixture of being super burned out and real-life has kept her from wanting to return. Fiona got married in Saga's last arc and then she's since had a kid, so how much that's taken priority...

you're just afraid to learn if you're an emma stan, too

thanks for doing this tim! i'm not joining since i don't play fortnite, but it's cool of ya.

Well then it's very understandable that Saga is on hiatus imo. Originally that letter they posted said they wanted to take a break, recharge and experience more of life. I'm sure having a kid and getting married would make Saga way more personal.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the second Baltimore omnibus. It wasn't a bad series, but it didn't hit the high points of other Mignola books like BPRD. Even the big finale in Baltimore was still pretty subdued by comparison.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah. Benefits comic shops and DC Universe Infinite, the latter of which was probably the real point.

Right, right. But work out the math. DC sells the book., they pay Epic for the codes (trust me, that's not free), they lose the cut on comic shops and distribution. The only real win for them is DCUI. Hell, comic shops are probably not getting any add-on sales, and still have a huge number of folks trying to call in.

Marvel does... very little, and makes a cut of every Marvel skin sold, which includes, so far:
  • Star Lord
  • Deadpool
  • Black Widow
  • Thor
  • Captain America
  • Groot (with Rocket)
  • Mystique
  • Wolverine
  • Captain Marvel
  • Black Panther
  • Taskmaster
  • She Hulk
  • Doctor Doom
  • Silver Surfer
  • Blade
  • Daredevil
  • Domino
  • Cable
  • Storm
  • Iron Man
  • Ghost Rider
  • Psylocke
  • Venom
  • Ant-Man
There's a reason Kratos and Aloy are in Fortnite and that's because it makes money for the company.

Sorry but was actually surfing the thread for impressions on the comic.

I would point out, that it's not like DC is only entering Fortnite via this comic. They have also continued to sell skins in the store and even physically (I believe the Joker pack is an item you can buy in store)

There aren't as many skins as Marvel, but still a decent amount.

• Raven
  • Green Arrow
  • The Flash
  • 3 different Batman
  • Catwoman
  • The Joker
  • Poison Ivy
  • 2x Harley Quinn
  • Aquaman
  • Black Manta

So DC is getting their characters in the game as well without the comic, this is just another avenue that at least is driving some interest to their streaming service and still getting a partial cut from Epic I imagine.

May 24, 2019
Valiant is actually winning by not taking part in Fortnite!
They're barely taking part in comic publishing at all atm. That's what I call smart.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
There aren't as many skins as Marvel, but still a decent amount.

• Raven
  • Green Arrow
  • The Flash
  • 3 different Batman
  • Catwoman
  • The Joker
  • Poison Ivy
  • 2x Harley Quinn
  • Aquaman
  • Black Manta
So DC is getting their characters in the game as well without the comic, this is just another avenue that at least is driving some interest to their streaming service and still getting a partial cut from Epic I imagine.

I know. I own half the skins.

In fact, I think they're making more on those than these comics, similar to the Marvel skins. The link to DC Infinite is the real money maker here.

Here, since y'all don't get it.

This is the split for a creator-owned comic, per Jim Zub.
pngbase641aa26cfdb1ea97b3.png

And digital:
pngbase64b7a8df2e6fe9cb69.png

So, let say a comic costs $4.99. For the sake of argument and being nice, where going to kick that up to 30% to the publisher. so DC is making $1.50 under this theory. And from that, they need to pay the creative team, advertising, and Epic Games, partially because they're using Epic's characters and partially because those skin codes aren't free. Epic is likely charging them for every code. That's an additional cost for this book that others do not carry.

And that's also acknowledging the fact that many retailers undersold the book.

So when I say, "DC Comics isn't making a ton of money on this, except through potential DC Infinite subs", this is what I'm talking about.

It's why the direct market is not great, with the exception that the existing comic buying audience already buys through that market. Too many costs, too many hands in the kitchen. Whereas DC Infinite, they lose a cut if you sign up through the App Store, but if you sign up through their website, the money is largely theirs.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% positive Baltimore was supposed to be a much bigger comic but for whatever reason got rushed.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% positive Baltimore was supposed to be a much bigger comic but for whatever reason got rushed.
There were parts of it I really enjoyed, but there were also parts of it where I was just a little bored waiting for things to happen. The new Lady Baltimore series follows Sofia about a decade or so after the original comic, and she's the best character anyway.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Found this really interesting analysis on Beast's character through the years and the steps towards his dark road he's been going in the last decade or so.

Real good read:

https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/04/20...om-the-silver-age-to-benjamin-percys-x-force/

Also, did anyone read 8-Bit Theater back in the day? The author's kickstarting a physical release. It's in script form, but it has author commentaries and illustrations.

Last edited:

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Kyle Higgins is saying Radiant Black is going to feature some characters from Cowl in the future (issue 4).

I just dont like the art style in Radiant Black. Its like Ultimate Spider-Man x early Invincible. Inferno Girl Red looks much better.

But I bet itll rival his Power Rangers stuff.

I want this car IRL:

I agree about Radiant Black. I am giving it an arc (5-6 issues) to see if it grows on me. Inferno Girl Red looks amazing
cd4c3620529a03f0a9e3f4a034ea95a0_original.jpg

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Found this really interesting analysis on Beast's character through the years and the steps towards his dark road he's been going in the last decade or so.

Real good read:

https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/04/20...om-the-silver-age-to-benjamin-percys-x-force/

Also, did anyone read 8-Bit Theater back in the day? The author's kickstarting a physical release. It's in script form, but it has author commentaries and illustrations.

www.comicsxf.com

Beast's Dark Descent from the Silver Age to Benjamin Percy's X-Force - ComicsXF

A. Why This Matters X-Force #18 by Benjamin Percy, Garry Brown and Joshua Cassara saw the bizarre, wholly unexpected death of Dr. Hank McCoy—the Beast; he was neither the focus of the story nor on that issue’s cover. But he’ll be back by X-Force #20, working security for the Hellfire Gala event...
Article doesn't even bring up the shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.