• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which series should Messi read? (keep my tastes in mind, this isn't a popularity poll)

• Naruto

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Bleach

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Dragon Ball (original, no Z)

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • One Piece (I know this will win by popularity)

Votes: 24 36.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Suicide Squad is flopping at the box office.
I think DC have poisoned the well by pushing out too much trash in recent years.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I think DC have poisoned the well by pushing out too much trash in recent years.
Well, I dont blame people for being cautious about another DC movie. But even though its bombing at the box office, doesnt mean its not doing really well on HBO Max.

People are just not ready to rush back to theaters and it seems like things arent going to get any better this year.

Woah, what is this? A game or a place to read weird comics in a virtual space? Is it VR?

Love the style for whatever it is lol.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I dont blame people for being cautious about another DC movie. But even though its bombing at the box office, doesnt mean its not doing really well on HBO Max.

People are just not ready to rush back to theaters and it seems like things arent going to get any better this year.
HBO Max is a US only thing though.
So I don't think it can really be used as a judge of any success.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
HBO Max is a US only thing though.
So I don't think it can really be used as a judge of any success.
oh yea, forgot it was only available in the US atm. And yea, they probably wouldnt release the actual numbers anyway, but it wouldnt make up for the lost revenue globally. I just meant that they are probably making up some of that poor theatrical ticket sales with the HBO Max streaming option.

DUNE and The Eternals will probably be the first big releases this year, and will be the best judge of how willing people will be to return to theaters for the big releases. I still think itll be pretty poor though.

Speaking of THE Suicide Squad:

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I honestly think cinemas will be one of the last places I return to after all this. I'm double vaxxed and everything but I don't feel comfortable with going atm, and tbh I am kinda at the stage of my life where I'm like "I have enough entertainment at home."

Like I would rather watch an old movie or whatever via Discord with friends on VC than stump up the cash to see something new in an environment where you are essentially rolling a D20 to see what kind of crowd/atmosphere you get. But that's just me I guess.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I actually went to watch black widow in theatres. Better than watching at home definitely and the (socially distanced) audience was great. Too bad the movie wasn't anything special

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Loved The Mighty Valkyries #1, see Aaron can write good comics don't @ me nerds.

And that art, whew!

MightyValkyries1_Interior1-scaled.jpg
18.jpg

today was a fantastic comic day for me in general as I caught up on some stuff:

Eternals #4 - I fucking love this book and I'm super intrigued by where it's going. The writing is jsut so good, and Ribic is, well, Ribic.
Sword #5 - I also fucking love this book. Ewing is the current GOAT imo.
Captain Marvel #28 - loving this arc with Dr. Strange, kinda into Carol's magic costume too. Lol at the meme boyfriend in the background, I didn't notice that before

Captain-Marvel-28-new-costume-Doctor-Strange.jpg

Spider Woman #11 - Back to the spandex costume sucks, but I actually liked the issue quite a bit. Just good street level fun.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they are getting ready to promote Carol to some new moniker and give the Captain Marvel to someone new. I mean, I havent been reading it so I dont know if they have been setting anything up specifically. Just seems like they are doing a lot of cool stuff with Carol lately.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they are getting ready to promote Carol to some new moniker and give the Captain Marvel to someone new. I mean, I havent been reading it so I dont know if they have been setting anything up specifically. Just seems like they are doing a lot of cool stuff with Carol lately.

I really don't think Marvel is ever going to have someone else take the mantle of Captain Marvel (outside of AU projects where all bets are off). It's Carol's now. She owns it. And I have trouble seeing that ever changing.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Loved The Mighty Valkyries #1, see Aaron can write good comics don't @ me nerds.

And that art, whew!

Eternals #4 - I fucking love this book and I'm super intrigued by where it's going. The writing is jsut so good, and Ribic is, well, Ribic.
Captain Marvel #28 - loving this arc with Dr. Strange, kinda into Carol's magic costume too. Lol at the meme boyfriend in the background, I didn't notice that before

Spider Woman #11 - Back to the spandex costume sucks, but I actually liked the issue quite a bit. Just good street level fun.
This is a way better costume than Carol's usual one.
I like it.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a big reason behind making Carol Captain Marvel to get around the whole "we have to publish a book called 'Captain Marvel' every so often or we lose the name"?

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
It's not fucking funny anymore, dude. I want you here, you belong here as much as any of us, but being in a community means you gotta do what's right for the people around you.

Just, lay off it for awhile, okay? Let it breathe for a few weeks, bring it up when you want to, and then let it go after a few posts. I'm not gonna stop you from ever saying it, I'm asking that you not do this as much as you have anymore.

Tace you are also just as welcome here but please stop egging him on.
I'm all good

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm re-reading the first volume of Super Sons to see if I'll like it. I can't remember why, but I was down on it last time even though "Superman's son and Batman's son go on adventures!" is a great premise for a series.

This won't end well either way, because either I'll remember why I hate it or like it, read all of it, and then get mad that Jon's a teenager.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading The Sleeper after putting it off as a "I'm saving this for when I need a really good book to read" break from other omnibuses. Surprise, surprise, it's really good! I had some doubts after reading the first five issues in the omnibus, only to figure out they were more of a spin-off/prequel to The Sleeper itself. Now that I'm reading The Sleeper itself, it's some of Brubaker's best stuff, but I could probably say that about most Brubaker stuff.

Such a great example of Brubaker's range of heroes and villains, where you want to see where their arcs are going but also kinda wouldn't mind if they just fell in a woodchipper.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
da list (I still have only read one of last week's issues)

Infinite Frontier #4
The Joker #6
Spider-Man: Spider's Shadow #5

also gonna pick up the Spider-Man/Venom and Batman FCBD issues probably, gonna use my LCS' discount on that day to pick up some manga though because fuck comics

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

And that art, whew!

Wierd how Aaron can write when he has a Co writer that also writes the second story solo. I'd be willing to bet he's plotting and she's writing it.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I feel I'm one of the few people who is kinda done with the MCU.
I just don't really care about it anymore.
They definitely oversaturated the market with Marvel movies too quickly. They're all at least a little better than the trash Fox put out, but still... there are just too many of them. And now you've got Shang-Chi, which is a guy no non-comic fan has probably ever heard of...
The only reason I get up in the morning is because I hate MCU Spider-Man discussion and I cannot rest until I have killed it.
I thought it was to buy more original art and Harley Quinn merch.
So... Is it actually Mary Jane in those movies?

Pretty sure it is.
What if the MCU does a Clone Saga trilogy, but the clone this time is MJ, and Peter has to figure out which one is actually his girlfriend?
I'm not terribly surprised. I also think that the movie experience has irrevocably changed during the pandemic, as there are a lot of people who prefer to watch movies at home instead of trekking to the theater and rolling the dice on whether they're going to have a good experience today without other people on their cell phones half the time or treating the theater generally like it's their living room. Of course there will always be people who prefer the theater experience, but home streaming isn't going away, either. Movies that just came out in theaters like the Purge and the new Fast & Furious movie are suddenly up for $20 rental even on my cable service.
Surely covid and hbo are massively affecting these numbers
Absolutely, but I think people need to temper their expectations of what the future is going to look like regarding film releases.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when nobody outside of comics knew who Rocket and Groot were...

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Theres like 5 Captain Marvels running around in the Marvel Universe at any one time lol. So Carol being another Captain Marvel isnt as special as it was anymore. Which is why I could see them making her something more after all this stuff going on with her currently. Like Star and the Infinity Stone, then going to the future, and whatever Magic powers she has now.

They are doing that Last of the Marvels mini.

It also sounds like Issue 35 will be pretty big
www.marvel.com

'Captain Marvel' Reaches the Next Level

Writer Kelly Thompson, artist Jamie McKelvie, and editor Sarah Brunstad chat Carol's future!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay yeah, Super Sons is amazing. I have no idea why I stopped reading it and now I'm infuriated all over again they cancelled it for Bendis.

Why the fuck is Jon a teenager now? Why did he need to be a teenager for any of it? You know, besides acknowledging that Superman's anything but the baddest motherfucker in the room with the biggest power level ever and we can't have him do anything as fucking lame as be a dad. That's not badass at all.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I was planning on Shang-Chi being my return to theaters until Delta variant put a stop to that. I also vastly prefer watching movies at home where I can pause for bathroom breaks and have subtitles. Maybe Eternals will get me back but Spider-Man is more likely.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Okay yeah, Super Sons is amazing. I have no idea why I stopped reading it and now I'm infuriated all over again they cancelled it for Bendis.

Why the fuck is Jon a teenager now? Why did he need to be a teenager for any of it? You know, besides acknowledging that Superman's anything but the baddest motherfucker in the room with the biggest power level ever and we can't have him do anything as fucking lame as be a dad. That's not badass at all.
Supposedly the age difference is still the same, accept now Jon is the older one of the two. But they portray the two so different that it doesnt work at all lol.

Then there was a rumor that they were also going to age up Damian, so they would both be older for 5G. Then Damian would be the new Ras and Jon would be the new Superman.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

I agree with you its all really fucking stupid and ruined one of DCs best character dynamics in years.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
This is a DC editor replying to the Taylor tease tweet

DC's Dark Knight of Sandman!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think Marvel is ever going to have someone else take the mantle of Captain Marvel (outside of AU projects where all bets are off). It's Carol's now. She owns it. And I have trouble seeing that ever changing.
That is so sad. Genis and Peter David were magical

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Surely covid and hbo are massively affecting these numbers
To a degree, this is the case.

Basically, we saw a big release valve with F9 and A Quiet Place 2, but around Black Widow, we started seeing the delta rise. So, COVID, HBO Max, and choosing to make an R-rated film all depressed the box office.

The issue is budget. Mortal Kombat opened with $22.5 million, and The Suicide Squad opened with $26.5 million. But MK's budget was $55 million, and TSS has a budget of $185 million. So...

And to illustrate the R-rated thing, Jungle Cruise opened last week with $34.2 million (and had one of the better pandemic era drops.) Godzilla v Kong, which opened on Max as well, opened with $32.2 million.

That is so sad. Genis and Peter David were magical

I brought up Genis and Thompson joked about it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
To a degree, this is the case.

Basically, we saw a big release valve with F9 and A Quiet Place 2, but around Black Widow, we started seeing the delta rise. So, COVID, HBO Max, and choosing to make an R-rated film all depressed the box office.

The issue is budget. Mortal Kombat opened with $22.5 million, and The Suicide Squad opened with $26.5 million. But MK's budget was $55 million, and TSS has a budget of $185 million. So...

And to illustrate the R-rated thing, Jungle Cruise opened last week with $34.2 million (and had one of the better pandemic era drops.) Godzilla v Kong, which opened on Max as well, opened with $32.2 million.

I brought up Genis and Thompson joked about it.

Funny how white people always jack her name. There is a plotline in that somewhere

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp after the fun cartoon jaunt that was Super Sons it's time to re-read My Broken Mariko but not while I'm ridiculously depressed like last time.

It might not be as enjoyable tbh. I was in an atrocious mood when I first read it, I'm afraid it won't hit the same.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, To Your Eternity Vol 1 is fuckin saaaaad.

Status
Not open for further replies.