• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What tag should I choose?

• Harley Quinn Appreciator

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I am leaving this community

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • Wilde for Cockburn

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Gothams finest eye inspector

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Comic books almost killed me

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
"Superman is boring and overpowered" is a fine thing to say if you don't have any interest in Superman, and then let everyone who likes him enjoy their character in peace instead of going off about it and then writing for DC.
I mean, yeah. It'd be nice to see old boy get some mainstream love again. Snyder Cut seemed to get largely positive reception. We'll see how Superman and Lois goes.
vinny and jeff b have talked comics before. I think vinny might have been reading immortal hulk?
I don't pay enough attention then.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Well this looks amazing. The thing at the end lol... Can't wait.

Also I love John Cena

Looks pretty good. Nothing like the last Suicide Squad. Hell, it doesnt even look like a comic book movie until you see the dumb costumes and Harley Quinn lol.

They were saying the BTS video they put out awhile back that its like a 70s war movie. Which looks like exactly what they are going for with this trailer.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem with Superman IMO is not with the character, but with the writers. No one has really done anything ground breaking with the character thats going to stand out enough that even non-comic book readers will hear about it. Like the last big thing to happen with him was his death and return lol.

Morrison did some amazing work on All Star Superman, but nothing really happened in there thats going to change the way normal people look at the character.

This also translates to the movies and shows, where hes not handled much better lol

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I just remembered that I read 49 volumes (+ one over-sized single issue and a web comic) of horror comics last October, and that was in addition to other comics, too. What happened to that comic-devouring machine? I wish I could bring him back.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah. It'd be nice to see old boy get some mainstream love again. Snyder Cut seemed to get largely positive reception. We'll see how Superman and Lois goes.

I don't pay enough attention then.

It really doesn't help that the last time Superman was depicted as he's supposed in his own dedicated series, that was Superman: TAS and it ended in 2000, and everything since then has been ensemble stories.

Superman is always going to be a bit of a fuddy duddy, he's too enraptured in that Americana status quo for him to ever escape that, but I say lean into what makes Superman good instead of making him a grim and tortured avenger. We have a guy like that, and he sucks.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I think when adapting him to a big screen is:

Everything about him is basically the blueprint for a lot of superheroes to this day. From his origin, design, powers, even his design and some of his villains. He's one of the blueprints for superheroes.

So to make a superhero film with him, you either

a) do something art house, or b) skip the shit everyone knows and do the obscure deep dives. Snyder kind of did a little of both (though still a blockbuster action film, and it's reception was and is very mixed). He did a more morally gray take and used Zod, a character that many only familiar with Superman in the mainstream these days wouldn't know unless they'd seen Superman 2, and that's an older film. Popular, but old, and therefore waning with majority audiences.

To keep to what makes him him, but still do something people haven't seen from him is a rough one.
It really doesn't help that the last time Superman was depicted as he's supposed in his own dedicated series, that was Superman: TAS and it ended in 2000, and everything since then has been ensemble stories.

Superman is always going to be a bit of a fuddy duddy, he's too enraptured in that Americana status quo for him to ever escape that, but I say lean into what makes Superman good instead of making him a grim and tortured avenger. We have a guy like that, and he sucks.
I mean we've had the animated films, but even then the last Superman one was what? Death of Superman? Reign of the Supermen? The former being one of his darkest stories and the latter isn't even about Clark.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem with Superman IMO is not with the character, but with the writers. No one has really done anything ground breaking with the character thats going to stand out enough that even non-comic book readers will hear about it. Like the last big thing to happen with him was his death and return lol.

Morrison did some amazing work on All Star Superman, but nothing really happened in there thats going to change the way normal people look at the character.

This also translates to the movies and shows, where hes not handled much better lol
Superman the animated series was the best solo Superman representation outside the comics.
People argued it made him too underpowered but that never bothered me.
Also kinda funny considering all people complain about these days is how overpowered he supposedly is.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I think when adapting him to a big screen is:

Everything about him is basically the blueprint for a lot of superheroes to this day. From his origin, design, powers, even his design and some of his villains. He's one of the blueprints for superheroes.

So to make a superhero film with him, you either

a) do something art house, or b) skip the shit everyone knows and do the obscure deep dives. Snyder kind of did a little of both (though still a blockbuster action film, and it's reception was and is very mixed). He did a more morally gray take and used Zod, a character that many only familiar with Superman in the mainstream these days wouldn't know unless they'd seen Superman 2, and that's an older film. Popular, but old, and therefore waning with majority audiences.

To keep to what makes him him, but still do something people haven't seen from him is a rough one.
I wish the movies would actually use some of his rogues gallery outside of Lex and Zod.
Metallo or Parasite would look awesome on the big screen.
Hell Mxyzptlk could be a blast too if they just had a bit of fun with it.
Imagine that, a fun upbeat Superman film, not full of depression, misery and despair.

People seem to have forgotten that Superman is supposed to be a fun, easy going, hopeful character.
A nice guy.
He's not Batman. Which is why teaming him up with Batman works so well.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another day, another Snyder thread that can only end well for everyone involved.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Superman the animated series was the best solo Superman representation outside the comics.
People argued it made him too underpowered but that never bothered me.
Also kinda funny considering all people complain about these days is how overpowered he supposedly is.

That show is the only Superman content I ever enjoyed. I don't care for any of the movies or any of the comics. Like not even All Star Superman, which everyone was raving about did anything for me.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Tap out now. There's some straight up disgustingness to come. I always thought Invincible was just plain nasty.
Your avatar gets me every time. That page was hysterical.
I had a good time with Invincible. I recognize it wasn't perfect or anything like that, but I enjoyed it.
Same. There were a few missteps here and there, but I don't think any of them were too major outside of the rape.
Better than Deku.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Superman TAS is good, but it takes Superman as far down the "grounded and flawed" take on the character that I'm willing to accept.

Superman never actually beats Darkseid in the entire DCAU, and that's wack.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Superman TAS is good, but it takes Superman as far down the "grounded and flawed" take on the character that I'm willing to accept.

The end of Superman TAS is one of the best endings to a superhero show I've ever seen.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

He does in Justice League, "Twilight, Part 2", but then Batman pulls him out as the Brainiac base is exploding before Superman full on murders him. That same boom tube drags Orion through and basically strands him on Earth and makes him a part of the Justice League, an arc and conversation that's never had.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He does in Justice League, "Twilight, Part 2", but then Batman pulls him out as the Brainiac base is exploding before Superman full on murders him. That same boom tube drags Orion through and basically strands him on Earth and makes him a part of the Justice League, an arc and conversation that's never had.

You don't beat Darkseid by giving up on your ideals, and that's how the DCAU treated Superman and Darkseid's antagonism.

Superman kept trying to kill him, succeeded, and then Darkseid came back and Superman tried again and failed.

May 24, 2019

If Joe Shmo didn't hear about Pak, Morrison, Tomassi and Gene Yang's Superman stories it doesn't mean they're worse comics than The Death of Superman. Probably the opposite.

Building comics on outsider baiting hooks is how ya get White Knight.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing whisperings of Batman TAS coming back.
Which is cool, but I'd honestly prefer JLU came back instead.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Joe Shmo didn't hear about Pak, Morrison, Tomassi and Gene Yang's Superman stories it doesn't mean they're worse comics than The Death of Superman. Probably the opposite.

Building comics on outsider baiting hooks is how ya get White Knight.

See Injustice, and the entire reason it's popular.

Superman is inherently boring, he has to be a fascist murderer for him to make sense because a man from the sky who does only good and never lets us down is something we can't ever dream of.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Around the 80s. The attitude that he was too powerful to be interesting had been festering throughout the 70s but the 80s saw a full blown pushback from all sides. The film franchise had crashed and burned, and in its place came the massive marketing and merchandise success of Batman '89, which would pave the way for Batman to dominate the 90s (even when the Batman films went downhill, they never got as bad as Superman's, plus there was the animated series). Comics saw a widespread industry shift thanks to works like Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Crisis on Infinite Earth and *insert Marvel thing here* (this was the decade that saw Miller's and Nocenti's Daredevil, Claremont's X-Men, Dematteis and "Kraven's Last Hunt", Roger Stern's Spider-Man and Avengers, Jim Starlin and "The Death of Captain Marvel", and The Punisher's first solo series). Poor Superman drowned under this new creative wave, whether he was being interrogated by Watchmen, being made into a government stooge who gets his ass kicked in TDKR, or being made irrelevant by Marvel's push into darker, more serious storytelling. DC's reboot of the character in the wake of Crisis couldn't stop the fact that the comic industry as a whole seemed to be saying that Superman was old, outdated, and needed to be left behind.

Bit of nuance to be added here. Man of Steel did very well and Superman was popular as a character in the comics well into the 90's. But a few problems happened. First, they didn't allow Superman to just get married so they killed him off and subjected him to all these different, goofy stories.

Second, you're correct that mass media played a big role. Superman didn't look cool in his cartoon. I didn't like Superman growing up 'cause I expected him to be a bad-ass and he was getting beat by Livewire and shit. he was a joke. He didn't get another cartoon show while Batman was drowning in them, and he didn't have a film series.

Then the comics got to a point where the editorial decided "Superman will always sell, so put our best creators anywhere but Superman". You can point to Superman 2000 and see the problem there--several of your best creators begged to write Superman and you said "No". They misused this character for a solid 30 years outside of the occasional good comic run, so when people dislike the character it's not surprising.

Threads saying Superman doesn't work are full of it. Captain America works and he's liked by not just patriots.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Bit of nuance to be added here. Man of Steel did very well and Superman was popular as a character in the comics well into the 90's. But a few problems happened. First, they didn't allow Superman to just get married so they killed him off and subjected him to all these different, goofy stories.
They are still doing that shit now.

They gave Superman a son, then quickly aged him up so Superman wouldn't have to raise him.
Spider-Man also went through all that crap as we know.

Although Spider-man is eternally popular and Superman gets automatically crapped on by everyone.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
They are still doing that shit now.

They gave Superman a son, then quickly aged him up so Superman wouldn't have to raise him.
Spider-Man also went through all that crap as we know.

Although Spider-man is eternally popular and Superman gets automatically crapped on by everyone.

Spider-Man had the JMS run people loved so much we're wasting time retconning a 15 year old story for. And he had multiple cartoons and film franchises in that time. Spider-Man is much more along the lines of Batman than he ever was Superman.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a poster for the weasel guy?

here you go

2dd361a57445e7141cd7475d4f5e463f.jpg

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man had the JMS run people loved so much we're wasting time retconning a 15 year old story for. And he had multiple cartoons and film franchises in that time. Spider-Man is much more along the lines of Batman than he ever was Superman.
Oh yeah Spider-Man is way better treated by Marvel than Superman is by DC.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
when Spider-Man became a mess they went so far as to hire John Byrne to revitalize it. ofc that was terrible so they had to try again.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I love that Harley costume, wish we could've seen it in the trailer. I'm so glad they ditched the creepy in a perv way daddy's lil monster shit.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Can you still use Amiibo while they are still in the box? Its been so long since I got one lol.

The one that came with Monster Hunter is like two amiibi shoved together lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.