• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
That's super impressive. There's still parts that look off and parts that look worse than the original. But it's crazy how nice it looks being made by such a smaller team.

Dec 11, 2017
That's his award ceremony outfit from the end of a new hope minus the yellow jacket, I believe. Marvel resurrected it for the new Star Wars comics.
4-ACAE0-F6-51-B8-4672-99-E6-B974-E3-C01032.jpg

2-E8-FEF75-9-A6-B-4-EE6-B76-D-1248-CD4921-E7.jpg

You are 100% correct.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Struggling to understand how anyone in here could think Corridor's is worse. Original is like a CG game cinematic.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I like CD, but these guys always talk the big talk when it comes to creating deepfakes, and their results always look fucked up in some way.

edit: I cannot believe people are actually arguing this is better than what is in the show.
This.

It's impressive for the amount of crew working on it, but it just looks bad to me.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Lol what. I was gonna believe it till I watched. What we actually got wasn't great and of course noticeable but this just looked worse. Like we got PS4 graphics and this one they did was PS2.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fake still.

This one looks much better imo

See, that one just pisses me off because they're starting from the work that Disney already did, so it's already 90% of the way there. Let them try it on the original actor and see how good it looks.

There's a reason Hollywood doesn't use deepfake tech. I don't even know what it is, but there has to be one, or they'd be using it. VFX artists aren't stupid, you know.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Struggling to understand how anyone in here could think Corridor's is worse. Original is like a CG game cinematic.

The problem is that a lot of people are unable to think more deeply than "this one good, this one bad". Both versions have pros and cons.

There's a reason Hollywood doesn't use deepfake tech. I don't even know what it is, but there has to be one, or they'd be using it. VFX artists aren't stupid, you know.

Disney's version is in all likelihood using a similar process.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The new one looks like an in game cinematic, the old one never struck me as looking like a game.
Disney version's face barely moves. It moves like it's bad keyframe animation. On a technical level, the corridor version is entirely better. Movement of face, lighting, eyes that aren't dead. But they have a terrible actor performance and wig. It's not something you could use to replace it for the production but as a proof of concept they succeeded in making a better version.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I dunno. Some parts Disneys looked better in more still spots. I can see the VFX dude's face here more plus his neck is too skinny which doesn't seem like the computer accounted for. I guess I can't unsee the actor from digital Luke. But yeah considering the budget, they did a great job.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fake still.

This one looks much better imo

This one is the best, followed by the official disney one, and the corridor version in a distant third. I'm also not a big Star Wars fan nor watch this show, just killing time on a sunday night.

The wig, some general composition mistakes, and going from underacting to overacting make their scene quite a bit inferior.
Don't make the mistake of me saying it's bad though. It's super impressive what they did and I think it would have received a much better impression if they hadn't been so arrogant in their video.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
That looks 800 times worse.

The actual one didn't look particularly great, but it served its purpose. I also think people severely underestimate how much the stoic face and general portrayal were a very deliberate character choice. That's how Luke is being protrayed post-RotJ.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks more like Hamill, but also looks more fake.
I think the YouTuber Shamook's attempt is still the best, although they are limited by having to use Disney's version as the basis.

It's definitely the best attempt. One lingering issue I had with Disney's take was when I found out what the stand in actor for Luke, actor Max Lloyd-Jones looked like, as I see more of him than Hamill in the face. At least this deepfake works and is layered/merged nicely, even though the mouth movement hints at it being a fake.

The Corridor Digital deepfake on the other hand has too many pros and cons going on to the point where I prefer the Disney attempt lol

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That looks 800 times worse.

The actual one didn't look particularly great, but it served its purpose. I also think people severely underestimate how much the stoic face and general portrayal were a very deliberate character choice. That's how Luke is being protrayed post-RotJ.
They went for Luke in Jabba's Palace kind of demeanor. But a face is still supposed to move like a human face. Disney failed in that aspect as well as lighting. Corridor's corrects those aspects but fails to recreate the intent.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Why didn't they just recast Luke? Are they scared of backlash? Are fans that rabid?

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't they just recast Luke? Are they scared of backlash? Are fans that rabid?

Why not create a new character altogether?

Star Wars dogged reliance on nostalgia is the worst thing about it. You've got this entire universe full of aliens and pseudo magical stuff yet all they do is keep rolling out the same old shit.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
The deepfake version is still the best. This looks good at times, but it's mostly even more jarring and messy than the original.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Just finished watching that and man it looked bad and maybe just me but Luke's head looked a size too big

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
The Corridor Digital version has higher highs than any other version, but enough lower lows that overall it isn't better than the original. There are individual shots in the scene where the CD version is much better, especially with regards to lighting and expressiveness.

On a side note, I've come to the conclusion that it's so easy to come across as arrogant on the internet. I know arrogant ppl IRL, and CD comes nowhere near that.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
On a side note, I've come to the conclusion that it's so easy to come across as arrogant on the internet. I know arrogant ppl IRL, and CD comes nowhere near that.

I think it's mainly the title that has people riled up. Normally I'm not a great lover of clickbait titles, but Corridor do incredible stuff that deserves the clicks, so I can't really fault them.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
If they're going to do anything, now or in the future, with Luke as a regular or main character, then this is a no-brainer. He's a hell of a lot closer to Mark Hamill than Alden Ehrenreich is to Harrison Ford.
That doesn't even matter anymore:

www.youtube.com

Harrison Ford in Solo: A Star Wars Story [DeepFake]

â–ş Paperspace is the computing cloud platform built for the future to power a wide range of next-generation applications. Learn more on: https://www.paperspac...

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I think it's mainly the title that has people riled up. Normally I'm not a great lover of clickbait titles, but Corridor do incredible stuff that deserves the clicks, so I can't really fault them.

honestly, corridor digital does tremendous work, their deep fake was extraordinary (even Mark Hamil loved it publicly on twitter.) it's worth the click; and I hope Disney throws them a Star Wars series! They are straight up better than ILM in the realm of VFX and truly underrated as a Sam-Niko directorial team.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
honestly, corridor digital does tremendous work, their deep fake was extraordinary (even Mark Hamil loved it publicly on twitter.) it's worth the click; and I hope Disney throws them a Star Wars series! They are straight up better than ILM in the realm of VFX and truly underrated as a Sam-Niko directorial team.
Oh come on, that's not in any way true by a long, long margin.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
They did their deep fake in days without anywhere near the resources of ILM obviously it wasn't perfect but it's still more impressive.

Sebastian stan sitting by his phone waiting patiently

hamill_stan.jpg
Yeah, he's not only been a fan favorite to do it for a long time now, it's also been a running joke for years that Mark Hamill is his father, Mark's even joked about it. It's also not another Harrison Ford/Ingruber fan casting issue since Sebastian Stan is an actual, established actor first and foremost who happens to bare a decent resemblance to Hamill that would also be way less jarring than the casting of Alden Ehrenreich as Han in a movie and story answering the questions that no one was interested in finding the answers to.

Last edited:

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
They are really really stellar directors and it's pretty inevitable they get their big break sooner than later. The bear share of comments make it seem like most consider their work tops ILM in the vfx department.
They're good for a very small studio and I love their 'VFX artists react' series but nothing they've done comes anywhere near the level of Avengers, Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars or any other number of their projects.

GIF quality aside, this is the stuff they were doing 15 years ago!

aryvzan.gif

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
They are really really stellar directors and it's pretty inevitable they get their big break sooner than later. The bear share of comments make it seem like most consider their work tops ILM in the vfx department.
I love Corridor Digital and have been watching them for a very long time but no, they don't top ILM.
They are very talented, but they are still a small studio. Comparing a 20 second scene they devoted all theier energy to for 2 weeks to a 20 second scene from an 8 episode tv series is just silly.
I guarantee Niko wouldn't claim to be either. He knows they are very good, but ILM is a different league.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

lol

what an insane thing to say

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean Lucasfilm contracts them to work on shots for a Star Wars series, or Lucasfilm has them run the VFX work of an entire series?

Because the latter is a straight up nonsense for their company based on the size and previous work.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
CD don't have the capacity to keep up with the massive studio giants in terms of visual prowess - what they're good at is, being resourceful and spitting something out in a relatively short time. Most of their videos are exploring a new tool or technology that they've gotten their hands on. Any scrutiny and it falls apart pretty fast.