• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
So In Astrobot your virtual DS4 morphed into this flashy looking controller. Now having lights and several colors all over it isn't realistic but there are some things that I wonder if it's a hint at the DS5. I wouldn't be surprised if it has concepts brought forth by Sony for minor improvements.

It has holes on the grips resembling old third party controllers with built in cooling. This I kinda doubt would be built in though. Not something I'd want but I could see it being tossed around at the planning stage.

They've removed the bumpers R1/L1 and if you flip the controller over you see two buttons where your middle fingers rest which would make it so you could press both R1/R2 and L1/L2 without having two fingers at the top like a claw. Which I'd have to try it but this seems like a good idea.

6htro2pozmq11.jpg

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expect it to be a 2-piece thing so VR doesn't require an extra purchase.
I also expect it to work as some mobile gamepads and joycons to hold an eventual streaming tablet that financial times hinted at.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it, probably just made it in keeping with the game's design. It looks fine for a UI element, but horrible for an actual pad design.

The edited trigger layout sounds great, though.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is actually a little Astrobot that runs around your room while you play games off it.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
If past actions are any indication. the controller is the last thing sony designs..

So I gotta go with a no on this one

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could be nothing, but what I see certainly looks like a more ergonomic version of the DS4.

In relation to that note about "the claw", all I can say is what? Do people legitimately sit their middle and index fingers on L1/L2 and R1/R2? I just use my index like a normal human.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Sony takes a look at adding paddles/back button to the standard controller for PS5. face buttons and the dpad are from an era where it was the only way to control games. We should have moved away from face buttons the day we started using dual analog sticks.

I willing to bet MS will make paddles standard on their next console.

why the hell are people still doing this in 2018?
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
All the metallic parts are for the biological sensors which monitor motion sickness for VR games (Sony patented this recently).

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isnt there a rumor that it is going to be detachable so it could be used as the new PSVR2 controllers?

DerMarc

Oct 28, 2017
They would have hinted at it 1 1/2 years ago because I'm quite sure this was also in the Playroom version.
I don't think so.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I think they will will add eInk display to the touchpad. It uses almost no power.

At e-ink refresh rates, the only thing it'd really be good for is providing dynamic labels when the touchpad is subdivided into buttons (like most games in the last couple years have used it) and the usefulness of changeable button labels on a controller vs just onscreen prompts is vastly overrated and likely not even close to worth the extra bill of materials and integration cost.

Soulymist

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to change position of the analog stick, both above the buttons
I really like Wii U Pro controller's layout.

OP
OP
Sonicfan059

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
It could be nothing, but what I see certainly looks like a more ergonomic version of the DS4.

In relation to that note about "the claw", all I can say is what? Do people legitimately sit their middle and index fingers on L1/L2 and R1/R2? I just use my index like a normal human.
I've seen people do it, yes. Lol

As far as the DS5 goes I doubt it strays far away from the current design. The DS4 is the biggest change they've made to their controller and even that wasn't a big change.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the back soon.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Isnt there a rumor that it is going to be detachable so it could be used as the new PSVR2 controllers?
That would be super cool but I think it would also make the DS5 more expensive than the DS4. It would be very cool if the PSVR2 controllers could be used as DS5s in this way, though.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
hat would be super cool but I think it would also make the DS5 more expensive than the DS4.
DS4 costs $18 to be manufactured, and MSRP is always set to be as high as possible since console makers make a killing on the gamepad sales.

That is why there will never be forward compatible gamepads.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I sure hope not.. Trackpad needs to go.

Yeah the trackpad needs to go because it's the main battery drain on the controller because it always has to be on!!!

I would love to see the L1/R1 buttons sink lower from the brim of the controller. If you curl your fingers right now with your thumbs up it's way more comfortable to have your index and middle fingers close together than separated like we have to do now. It's more pleasant to have your L1/R1 buttons lower with more travel. Your hand could really sink into the controller and that'd work better if the controller does break apart for the PSVR 2. Just take a look at the Oculus controller, but having the L2/R2 buttons adjacent under the buttons where the index finger rests in the photo.

shopping

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully PS5's controller comes with grappling hooks, water guns, and ninja stars.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
You have a problem with backwards compatibility?

I am against being held back because of it. That's why I never had any issues with my PS4 not being backwards compatible with the PS3.

With that said, this is easily fixed. Just add cross gen accessory compatibility like Microsoft will be doing. That way, you can connect your DS4 to play BC games that need a trackpad. :)

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It had better not double as a PSVR2 controller. We need something like Oculus Touch controllers or Valve Knuckle controllers for a real tailored VR experience, not some regular controller that work haphazardly in VR (Move controllers are total shit).

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
They've removed the bumpers R1/L1 and if you flip the controller over you see two buttons where your middle fingers rest which would make it so you could press both R1/R2 and L1/L2 without having two fingers at the top like a claw. Which I'd have to try it but this seems like a good idea.

This sounds dreadful. I'm getting Vita rear touchpad flashbacks, and that was the worst idea implemented into a controller in a decade.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds shitty. Just move your fingers, people!

The claw is a dumb hand hold! Move your index fingers.

I'd rather there not be stuff I have to hit on the back of the controller; feels weird.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds shitty. Just move your fingers, people!

The claw is a dumb hand hold! Move your index fingers.

I'd rather there not be stuff I have to hit on the back of the controller; feels weird.

I second this. I can't think of a single game that I've played where I felt at a disadvantage for moving my index finger between bumper/trigger buttons.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want the normal trigger/bumper, with 2-4 underside buttons / paddles. Basically, a factory scuf, but maybe not paddles, just buttons (paddles probably are too breakable to put in the box - kids might break em too much)

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
We've already seen the what the new PSVR controllers will look like, Sony's patent for them leaked earlier this year.
484663-h1.jpg');

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's never going to go if they're sticking with PSVR in the future.

PSVR 2 shouldn't need the lights, because they will use inside out tracking / IR, like Vive and Rift, so it will be far superior.

Downside is the old headset won't work, unless they make a camera for PS5 which can track the old PSVR lights too.

I'd be fine with newer, better hardware though, as long as the games still work.