• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MOD EDIT:

There were originally two concurrent threads about this which resulted in a record shattering 12 permanent bans and numerous smaller infractions. If that gets your attention then please read carefully:

"Did You Just Assume My Gender?" is a well known meme that has been used to trivialize and make fun of LGBT concerns since 2016. It specifically mocks transgender people for having preferred pronouns, even though no one ever actually uses the quote in real life. It's a derogatory stereotype and is inherently transphobic. Any internet search will bring up numerous examples.

Given that the intent of the meme is to mock the feelings of a marginalized group, it is particularly poor form to dismiss their feelings on this matter. If you do not think you can engage that perspective seriously and respectfully then you should not post. Thank you.

Update: Tweet has been removed

1fbez7.png

This really sucks.

As for why it's more than just a dumb joke:

MRYEF9K.png

Mod Edit: CD Projekt has responded in this tweet

Last edited by a moderator:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah people really need to more thoroughly vet the guy that runs their Twitter account. What a moron.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
12 perma bans in less than an hour, huh. You gotta put that on a plaque or something.

But yeah, hope this is just some random twitter PR person, cause if they're trying to make a serious cyberpunk story and still post jokes like this, well..

Oct 25, 2017
If anything this presents the question of whether CDPR knows what the fuck they're doing with Cyberpunk. How you going to make some shitty joke aimed at alienating transgender people while making a cyberpunk game? The genre is full of transhumanism that include concepts such as postgenderism. Also it's a genre made to challenge the status quo, not take part in it. Learn what the fuck you signed up to make.

Best case scenario it's just some idiot in their social media dept. Worst case it speaks about the organization's culture.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I didn't even see the other thread, nor would I have known that phrase is a shitty meme. Whoever wrote it certainly knew it was meme right? Such poor taste.

Moobabe

Nov 7, 2017
If anything this presents the question of whether CDPR knows what the fuck they're doing with Cyberpunk. How you going to make some shitty joke aimed at alienating transgender people while making a cyberpunk game? The genre is full of transhumanism that include concepts such as postgenderism. Also it's a genre made to challenge the status quo, not take part in it. Learn what the fuck you signed up to make.

Best case scenario it's just some idiot in their social media dept. Worst case it speaks about the organization's culture.

Worth noting that GoG also got in hot water recently over the Gamergate tweet with an image from Postal.

It's not out of the realms that both accounts could be managed by the same person, or there's some organisational level idiocy in play.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really, really, really disappointing.

It reflects especially poorly on Cyberpunk 2077 because cyberpunk heavily involves deconstruction of norms about identity, which should naturally include gender expression.

Particularly if this isn't just the PR guy being an outspoken fluke among CDPR staff (or if this isn't met with that person's swift termination from PR), it really makes me doubt if they have what it takes to construct a cyberpunk setting that is respectful to both marginalized people and the genre itself.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Really starting to worry that CDPR Just thinks Cyberpunk is a cool setting and won't engage with the highly political elements.

I love Witcher 3 but between this and their poor labour practises I'm seriously reconsidering whether I pick this up day one.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Not too surprising, sadly. Poland is a very conservative, extreme-right, catholic, country.

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even see the other thread, nor would I have known that phrase is a shitty meme. Whoever wrote it certainly knew it was meme right? Such poor taste.
Being a social media manager claiming ignorance isn't an excuse. If you know what it meant and used it anyway, you're an asshole, if you don't know what it means and just parrot it, then you aren't fit to do the job.

Edit: just to make this clear, I wasn't attacking you for not knowing, but the social media person behind the twitter.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
If anything this presents the question of whether CDPR knows what the fuck they're doing with Cyberpunk. How you going to make some shitty joke aimed at alienating transgender people while making a cyberpunk game?

You do realize that games are made by large teams of people who have nothing to do with social media posts, right..? Like, programmers, environmental artists, character artists, level designers, systems designers, gameplay designers, technical artists, vfx artists, sound designers, etc.

People need to calm down and think rationally before pulling out their pitchforks and condemning people who have nothing to do with any given controversy.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

You hit the nail on the head perfectly here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if they don't see anything more in Cyberpunk style other than just cool art. These are the guys that did a collect and fuck card minigame for Witcher 1.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Even in the best case scenario of this being a meme that was referenced by CDPR without knowledge of its transphobic nature, it was reckless and unacceptable behavior (and incompetent PR) by a company like CDPR who have enough resources to prevent this from happening.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was real shitty to see a variation of that "joke" appear like 30 seconds into The Messenger as well.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Best case scenario? That's the obvious reality.

But CDPR needs to publicly fire that person to save their own reputation - otherwise they will be forever associated with this. And on the back of that, they need to issue a genuine apology. And it'll be a bad look if they wait until this escalates with the media before they do that.

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This is also the game that calls itself Cyberpunk and only has two gender options, so I don't think it's just some idiot in their marketing department but even that without an apology is enough for people to make a decision. And while I'd love it not to be the case I'd bet that if an apology were to happen it would be like a three word tweet and not because that they understand where they went wrong, and because they saw a lot of backlash. That's how these things usually go unfortunately.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If anything this presents the question of whether CDPR knows what the fuck they're doing with Cyberpunk. How you going to make some shitty joke aimed at alienating transgender people while making a cyberpunk game? The genre is full of transhumanism that include concepts such as postgendeerism. Also it's a genre made to challenge the status quo, not take part in it. Learn what the fuck you signed up to make.

I lost faith reading that except about naked bodies in tubs and about bodies being "profane". I honestly don't think they have a real grasp on what Cyberpunk actually is. Seems the more I learn, the more disappointed I get. You can't just have the cool skylines and neon lights and say it's cyberpunk.

Overall I'm feeling pretty soured on CDPR, this and that Postal tweet from GOG :/... Yeah, nah.

C++

Banned
Aug 2, 2018
User banned (permanent): Equating rules against bigotry with book burnings. Junior account. Recently returned from prior ban.
These threads reminds me Fahrenheit 451

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Being a social media manager claiming ignorance isn't an excuse. If you know what it meant and used it anyway, you're an asshole, if you don't know what it means and just parrot it, then you aren't fit to do the job.

Edit: just to make this clear, I wasn't attacking you for not knowing, but the social media person behind the twitter.

Yeah I hear ya. That's why it seems pretty certain that they knew it was a shit joke meme right? No way to deny it. Even if they weren't trying to be malicious, whoever is their social media person has the worst sense of humor .

Even in the best case scenario of this being a meme that was referenced by CDPR without knowledge of its transphobic nature, it was reckless and unacceptable behavior (and incompetent PR) by a company like CDPR who have enough resources to prevent this from happening.

Agreed. What a screw up.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize that games are made by large teams of people who have nothing to do with social media posts, right..? Like, programmers, environmental artists, character artists, level designers, systems designers, gameplay designers, technical artists, vfx artists, sound designers, etc.

People need to calm down and think rationally before pulling out their pitchforks and condemning people who have nothing to do with any given controversy.

Calm down and finish reading a post before you respond.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a stupid joke for a corporate account to make, and it's even more stupid when that account is advertising a cyberpunk game.

Ignorance rather than malice, I'm sure.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Much as I love their games, this is a misstep that should be acknowledged and corrected. Between that, ignoring the problem or doubling down, it seems the most reasonable and easiest course of action.

I admit I'm ignorant of the links between gender fluidity and cyberpunk as a genre that critics refer to. The classics I've read growing up weren't very forward thinking when it comes to LGBTQ. Did this change in the genre or did CDPR commit to better representation in this regard?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Even in the best case scenario (and way too much benefit of the doubt) where someone just said something familiar/silly for the sake of social media brevity and didn't know the context behind it.... it's a not even actually funny.

Yeah. Hope that tweet gets scrubbed. It's awful.

KelticNight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because the PR guy is an insensitive twunt doesn't mean the game is made by idiots as well. Try to keep some perspective here. I'd be very surprised if the person handling the Twitter account has any influence over the game itself.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Gross and disappointing....

Shame on whoever is managing that Twitter account. Not only gross but stupid... Why would you think this was a good idea???

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I'm side-eyeing this game, and am expecting it to be conservative and very cishet. Can't wait to see what equivalent to "Aug lives matter" we get.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've very reluctant often to call for this in these instances, but publicly whoever posted this needs to be let go.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Calm down and finish reading a post before you respond.

I did. Your entire post was so absurdly reactionary that one sentence didn't somehow make it reasonable. CDPR made Witcher 3, one of the most critically acclaimed games of this generation. They've been working on Cyberpunk for years with the direct involvement of the the IP's creator. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Alioth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really do not want to go into the details of the topic but I feel the need to talk about the mod point in the OP.
To me, it reads like: This is what happened and this is how you are supposed to feel about it.
If you don't feel like this please do not post.
My point is then, why having a discussion? to have 15 pages of people saying: "I'm not gonna buy this game because a homophobic person dealing with a twitter account invalidate the work of thousand of people?"
I really really really dislike when people do not state fact or their opinion about them but tell me what is the "right" way to feel about them, even if I agree with them, it feels extremly dictatorial.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Just because the PR guy is an insensitive twunt doesn't mean the game is made by idiots as well. Try to keep some perspective here. I'd be very surprised if the person handling the Twitter account has any influence over the game itself.
True, but the whole point of PR is that it's a (curated, carefully crafted) reflection of the product/company/whatever. Buying into it when PR reflects positively and handwaving when it reflects poorly means you're trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I hope this is just some idiot who is running the twitter account and not the opinion of the developers. Kind of making me wary about the game now.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i've got two takes, the 'do they know what cyberpunk is' take and the 'why is their PR team fucking garbage' take. Both takes look pretty bad for them.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did. Your entire post was so absurdly reactionary that one sentence didn't somehow make it reasonable. CDPR made Witcher 3, one of the most critically acclaimed games of this generation. They've been working on Cyberpunk for years with the direct involvement of the the IP's creator. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.
Too bad their PR guy didn't get the memo.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
As I said in the previous thread, I'm expecting the inevitable "CD project red OWNS SJW'S" videos to start appearing on my YouTube recommendations.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
For a team that's tackling a genre dealing with subjects like transhumanism and as they themselves have said is "inherently political", this was disappointing to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.