• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Translation before the outrag-... Nevermind.

Ok, still, translation:

-he is right
-the entire interview helps a lot because he is not avoiding his responsibility in game's success/failure
-he is telling it how it is, the game was met with nothing but question marks and passive remarks to negatives prior to launch because it was 'just another zombie game', post launch it was a 70+ metacritic fully priced game and it took a lot of months and effort and patching to get it where it is now.
-but late fanbase and buying AAA at 1/3 of the price is not what greenlights a sequel at Sony, that is understandable

He is not telling you to spend money like a maniac and ignore the meta, he is telling you that specifically Days Gone wasn't there at launch, both critically and from a gamer staindpoint

Compare it to GoT and you know it's true.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
"players should buy games at full price if they like them"

lol
this is good stuff

if they want to base everything on launch sales that's fine but everyone can't buy everything at launch

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Metacritic is good. Bought some great games partly because of it.
While there are some outliers, in general I tend to agree with Metascore (+- 10 points). In my experience there are also way more games overrated by Metacritic, rather than underrated.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly, the game didn't release in the same state it is now. There were lots of problems early on, so it's no wonder a lot of people (including myself) waited. I did buy it later at Target for $40 based on recommendations here.

Last edited:

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah not a lot of people are going to "love" a new IP that scores average and then go buy it day 1. Get some perspective and blame the business model not customers.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I assumed the headline's characterization would be exaggerated, but the quote and tone from the actual interview is more flagrant than I expected.

Like, I'm someone who's lucky enough to be able to afford a good number of current-gen priced games each year, but this feels gross, and a bit brainless. Obviously you should buy the games you want to see more of in a general sense, but it's a *broad* expectation to put on players when you lambast them for buying games at other prices or play them on paid subscription services.

Putting the demand on players to blindly "support" big budget games in this sense (i.e., new, unproven titles without a demo) and implying people can't be frustrated if a sequel isn't even considered because of seemingly arbitrary walls from the publisher isn't a message I'm likely to respond to, and I feel like that's not just me. Especially when the game is big-budget, but certainly not a show-stopper in that sense.

And this is putting aside the state Days Gone launched in.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
What a piss poor take. This game even launched with a litany of tech issues and a 70ish metascore. I'd even go as far to say a lot of people bought it full price because it was a Sony exclusive, and that's akin to quality at this point. Hell, that's why I bought it at launch full price, but haven't even opened it yet because of how underwhelming the reviews for it were.

If you want people to buy your game at full price at launch, make a great game that runs well and is well reviewed weeks before launch. It is very difficult to expect the consumer to part with $60+ dollars at launch, let alone $70 without some sort of assurances.

Oct 25, 2017

Ok, still, translation:

-he is right
-the entire interview helps a lot because he is not avoiding his responsibility in game's success/failure
-he is telling it how it is, the game was met with nothing but question marks and passive remarks to negatives prior to launch because it was 'just another zombie game', post launch it was a 70+ metacritic fully priced game and it took a lot of months and effort and patching to get it where it is now.
-but late fanbase and buying AAA at 1/3 of the price is not what greenlights a sequel at Sony, that is understandable

He is not telling you to spend money like a maniac and ignore the meta, he is telling you that specifically Days Gone wasn't there at launch, both critically and from a gamer staindpoint

I love how the gamepass model makes these issues way less severe. Engagement is king, not huge front loaded game sales.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
They're not internally developed though, so using them as an example still doesn't make sense. Not to mention, citing Hyrule Warriors of all games as an example of a smaller title when Age of Calamity was Nintendo's big holiday release last year and a follow-up to Breath of the Wild is kind of a stretch. But I digress.

My point is that most of Nintendo's smaller and more experimental titles outside of the stuff they use to sell accessories like Ring Fit and Labo aren't internally developed either. They're brought about by publishing deals with independent developers. They're certainly a little more open to external studios being more experimental but they're also a lot more risk-averse than with their internal development output than you're making out.

Xenoblade and Pikmin would have been a better examples but the point still stands. But yes Nintendo won't keep plugging away at something if it doesn't make money, they are still a business. But they are a lot less likely to let launch periods, metacritic scores and lack of awards dictate the fate of a series if there is even a small following.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, you aren't actually following what I am saying.

One, the Hollywood model you point to is ultimately an indictment, not a counter-point. Hollywood is utterly creatively bankrupt and part of that is the reliance on mega projects that require mega returns. But to their credit they actually consider total sales and look at the overall success generated throughout its product lifecycle, and don't really give a shit about a subjective aggregator like metacritic.

What Sony is seemingly doing is the equivalent of Hollywood judging its success or failure based on first week sales and their RT score, and if both didn't smash records they tell the director and their staff they need to go make a remake of Batman again.

But when such metrics don't accurately capture success and failure, you have broken metrics.
"Marvel movies. Game of Thrones and True Blood weren't the successes they were season one"

Yes they where massive successes right out of the gate, and because these early indicators that these movies/shows where a success (ticket sales, rotten tomato's, view counts), they got developed further.

No one pushes a flopped show around to see if it gets good. DC tried with their Universe and paid dearly for it.

You want to spend 14 years of development to see if a flopped games gets good in part2? With an IP as bland as Days Gone? This isnt a flopped Star Wars game, this is a new IP that got shit on for its unimaginative setting right from the first trailer.

Jun 7, 2018
How are the general public meant to know they're "supposed to" buy games right when they launch?!

People pick up back-catalogue movies, albums, books etc for their collections all the time.
It's not their fault that this industry in particular doesn't seem to understand those buying habits, and can't seem to balance the books by factoring in long tail sales, and it's also not the public's fault for not knowing (or caring) about the "importance" of buying games in an incredibly short launch window.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but you absolutely don't get to play the "Pay full price to support it" card when you're making a new IP that had sketchy pre-launch opinions and was coming from a team that hadn't made a console game in years. A lot of people just don't have money to pay that much for what may have been, and frankly was, a botched release.

And to compare it to God of War in that quote is embarassing. Established franchise, established team, people loved it in previews, etc.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Ok, still, translation:

-he is right

Yeah. He's clearly saying why Days Gone didn't get a sequel. He's not calling out ungrateful gamer bastards.

Days Gone had middling word of mouth from previews, a 70s Metacritic score, and even had some negative attention around launch due to some meme-worthy bad dialogue that only made sense in context if you played deeper into the game (which many people did not). Take all of that together along with the initial sales, and it's easy to see why Sony would reject a sequel.

ProZach

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the main issue was the game is an astonishingly derivative take on a genre that's obviously waning

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
What Sony is seemingly doing is the equivalent of Hollywood judging its success or failure based on first week sales and their RT score, and if both didn't smash records they tell the director and their staff they need to go make a remake of Batman again.

But when such metrics don't accurately capture success and failure, you have broken metrics.
Those two are not the only things, the whole interview goes over alot of other things wrong with Days Gone and internal conflict at Bend. He wasnt even with Bend when they made the sequel pitch. And considering how integral he was to the first game (wrote every dialogue in the first game apparently), no one knows how good the sequel pitch was without him.

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
the critics are part of the problem too

Sometimes reading a embarrasing review and putting a number without taking care that number can directly punish the studio with layoffs or budget reduction.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
www.resetera.com

Days Gone Review Thread (See Staff Post)

Thanks to Ricky_R for the banner. Link to the Official Thread. Shout out to my boy Nagito for all the hard work. https://www.resetera.com/threads/days-gone-ot-a-deacon-of-hope.113142/ Welcome one and all to what's sure to be a ledge of a thread. First unveiled at E3 2016, SIE Bend Studio's...

This review thread is fun to watch by just how many decide the game is not worth their money the minute the reviews embargo lifts. It went from people predicting metacritic scores to people talking about how much of a miss the game. Aggregates are such a surface level way to determine the value of entertainment and art. Ive been guilty of this as well. It took me about a week or so to buy Doom 2016 because of the mediocre reception. Then once i actually started talking to people that had played it and reading positive talks on the game i finally bought it. One of the greatest games in my adult life.
To be fair many people here decided the game was not worth it when the first few horde videos were released. It was Era's predicted flop of 2019 in multiple polls IIRC. The review thread was more like a "told ya so" moment.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

Ok, still, translation:

-he is right

4h video vs 1 juicy quote, poor fella never stood a chance.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I mean, yeah he's right

but with £70 games it's going to be way more difficult for this argument to be justified.

It's also kind of funny because by his definition the public have decided that a sequel isn't really wanted if we take sales and reviews into account so.....?

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
No accountability on his part. Completely forgets to mention that the initial product that was being sold was buggy. Why should i spend full price on a buggy product? It was only once it was on sale and given away on plus that the product was finally completed

Matthias

alt account
Banned
Mar 10, 2021
Yeah, I'm not paying full price aka release price aka max price point for a game ever again. With GamePass I have a great selection of no-hassle games and for the rest I usually every now and then check Metacritic for _last_ year and buy anything that sounds interesting.

Guess that disqualifies me from having an opinion though.

Oct 25, 2017
the critics are part of the problem too

Sometimes reading a embarrasing review and putting a number without taking care that number can directly punish the studio with layoffs or budget reduction.
I mean, I also don't think it's the job of critics to praise a game that just is not worth the money. It's unfortunate that publishers just look at a number sometimes to approve a sequel or a future title by that team, but that's far more an issue of publishers than critics.

For example, how do you honestly write a review for something like Balan Wonderworld or that Fast and the Furious game from last year that simultaneously ensures that team is happy while also not encouraging people to buy what is just a pretty damn bad game?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would consider it, if Sony offered refunds and lowered the price back to 60. Not so much with the way things are now.

Blaming the customers is not a good way to go about this.

Oct 27, 2017

Ok, still, translation:

-he is right

Ok that makes more sense than whatever is in the OP.

Matthias

alt account
Banned
Mar 10, 2021
I feel the main issue was the game is an astonishingly derivative take on a genre that's obviously waning

Couldn't have said it better. I played for an hour or two and felt that I have already played this before. I can't be bothered to explore yet another open world and hunt checkboxes. Ejected disk and sold. And zombies, again? Yawn

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
I buy most of my games day one and if Playstation would make a second Singleplayer Days Gone I would play it Day One.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017

Ok, still, translation:

-he is right

Yep pretty much.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade and Pikmin would have been a better examples but the point still stands. But yes Nintendo won't keep plugging away at something if it doesn't make money, they are still a business. But they are a lot less likely to let launch periods, metacritic scores and lack of awards dictate the fate of a series if there is even a small following.

Those are way better examples, yeah. Probably the two best examples actually. Japan Studio fulfilled that role in a lot of ways, but we all know what's happened there. Agreed on the bolded too. Having said all that, I'm curious to see how the upcoming years play out.

If something like Returnal doesn't sell 5m+ copies but ends up getting a 95 on metacritic, is it more likely to receive a sequel than if it got a 70 on metacritic but sold 5m+ copies? Remains to be seen.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at day 1 sales is not going to be sustainable I think. Seeing how to game performs across the full price continuum is going to be more important with bigger price tag at launch that still eventually shrink to nothing because of the competition on the platforms. Even if he's right for 2019 when this came out, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has changed its calculus slightly since then. Well, probably not at PS5 launch because there are so few native PS5 games. But a year or two from now.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
Lol. The more I hear about Sony the less I feel I want to part of their gaming environment. I hope the tides will turn cause they do have some good exclusive games.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Marvel movies. Game of Thrones and True Blood weren't the successes they were season one"

Yes they where massive successes right out of the gate, and because these early indicators that these movies/shows where a success (ticket sales, rotten tomato's, view counts), they got developed further.

No one pushes a flopped show around to see if it gets good. DC tried with their Universe and paid dearly for it.

You want to spend 14 years of development to see if a flopped games gets good in part2? With an IP as bland as Days Gone? This isnt a flopped Star Wars game, this is a new IP that got shit on for its unimaginative setting right from the first trailer.
It seems clear you aren't actually reading what I say and instead feels like you are trying to reflexively defend a billion dollar corporation for reasons.

True blood was not massive out the gate. It debuted with barely a million viewers. Game of Thrones season one garnered 2 million viewers. Compare that to their later seasons where Game of Thrones was pulling in 8-10 million day one views and True Blood 6 million. With equal or more from DVR and DVD sales.

They were not massive successes out the gate. But they were kept because unlike Rome era HBO, where that series also garnered similar season one ratings, difference being that True Blood and GoT era HBO recognized a product's success is not accurately measured by just their day one viewings and critic scores. A more holistic approach must be considered, including that brands take time to build.

That is what Sony lacks if these claims are accurate. Unless you think no game has ever seen a post launch surge or metacritic is a 100% accurate barometer of quality. If not, then Sony's weighted metric focused on release window sales and metacritic is flawed. End of story.

Oct 31, 2017
I stated above. I played a pretty uninspired multiplayer beta that was followed by the ign review. Who which i still held in high regard at the time. I didnt read the review, just looked at the score along with a few other early reviews. I was an idiot.

You didn't mention the MP beta in your previous post but yeah, only looking at the score of the first few reviews and being "done" with said game is silly... The sad thing is that a lot of people likely do the same shit nowadays.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Well, i bought it on a sale and I'm glad I didn't buy it full price, since it's the most boring Sony game I played in a long time and I stopped playing after a few hours.
And it's not about the meta score, I really enjoyed Concrete Genie. It's not a great game, but at least it's special. Days Gone is just a vanilla zombie open world game like every other game.