• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 12, 2019
You can dodge some really crappy games because of metacritic/opencritic.

This ain't it.

Reading the reviews and watching footage post launch gives you like 100% more understanding of if the games would appeal to you versus "arbitrary scores that aren't even using the median as a reference point, but the easily influenced average" as a point of determination.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I feel there's a step missing in the logic here. Metacritic score and the price you pay aren't related. So if MC is "everything" to Sony, what does it matter whether you buy it on sale?

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
How the fuck am I supposed to know I love a game before buying/playing it?

Did he even think about the words coming out of his mouth there?

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
With all respect for the devs, but Days Gone was always uninteresting with the saturated zombie setting. I'm glad that we are not receiving a sequel and maybe the resources will be for a more unique IP/setting.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, fucking peasants should shut their filthy subserviant mouths if they cannot afford to pay a measly $90 CAD for a video game

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
But it's the truth. Can't whine about it when you personally don't even support the thing that isn't going to get more exposure.
I disagree both with that sentence and its wording. More importantly, shitty sentences can be both true and shitty: Like, if a friend has a child and you go "having children is among the worst things a human can do when fighting climate change" you'd be 100% right and 100% an asshole.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Translation before the outrag-... Nevermind.

Ok, still, translation:

-he is right
-the entire interview helps a lot because he is not avoiding his responsibility in game's success/failure
-he is telling it how it is, the game was met with nothing but question marks and passive remarks to negatives prior to launch because it was 'just another zombie game', post launch it was a 70+ metacritic fully priced game and it took a lot of months and effort and patching to get it where it is now.
-but late fanbase and buying AAA at 1/3 of the price is not what greenlights a sequel at Sony, that is understandable

He is not telling you to spend money like a maniac and ignore the meta, he is telling you that specifically Days Gone wasn't there at launch, both critically and from a gamer staindpoint

Compare it to GoT and you know it's true.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I feel there's a step missing in the logic here. Metacritic score and the price you pay aren't related. So if MC is "everything" to Sony, what does it matter whether you buy it on sale?
Because they are two different points slamed together for some reason, metacritic (the critical reception) is important if you wanna keep directing games basically.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Big launches, good reviews and award shows. All good ammunition for the sales department.

Sony has been trying to turn console gaming into the television and film industry. When you look at their budgets amd the type of games they make it's easy to see why.

I still find it a little gross but it's better than outright trying to copy a company like Nintendo. That company still has it's innocence compared to Sony which does not.
Lol one of more manipulating companies is innocence?

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So he's comparing GoW, a series with multiple entries amd is a well established IP with Days Gone which was a new IP. The guy is either delusional or doesn't know what he's talking about.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
From what I remember, Days Gone was commercially successful though?
It certainly didn't bomb

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems clear you aren't actually reading what I say and instead feels like you are trying to reflexively defend a billion dollar corporation for reasons.

True blood was not massive out the gate. It debuted with barely a million viewers. Game of Thrones season one garnered 2 million viewers. Compare that to their later seasons where Game of Thrones was pulling in 8-10 million day one views and True Blood 6 million. With equal or more from DVR and DVD sales.

They were not massive successes out the gate. But they were kept because unlike Rome era HBO, where that series also garnered similar season one ratings, difference being that True Blood and GoT era HBO recognized a product's success is not accurately measured by just their day one viewings and critic scores. A more holistic approach must be considered, including that brands take time to build.

That is what Sony lacks if these claims are accurate. Unless you think no game has ever seen a post launch surge or metacritic is a 100% accurate barometer of quality. If not, then Sony's weighted metric focused on release window sales and metacritic is flawed. End of story.

GoT Season 1:

First-season reviewers said the series had high production values, a fully realized world and compelling characters.According to Variety, "There may be no show more profitable to its network than 'Game of Thrones' is to HBO. Fully produced by the pay cabler and already a global phenomenon after only one season, the fantasy skein was a gamble that has paid off handsomely.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
How the fuck am I supposed to know I love a game before buying/playing it?

Did he even think about the words coming out of his mouth there?
It would seem he did, the question is why is Sony basing their business model on such rigid and questionable metrics?

Makes even less sense in the age of 70 dollar games.

I can already see Returnal getting an 80-85 on Metacritic with ho hum initial sales and Sony axing the property.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Lots of consumers prefer to wait for bundles and sales for all sorts of items, not just video games. I think this behavior is well-documented enough that someone like him shouldn't be surprised by it, even if he is disappointed. And as for his comments on Metacritic, I suspect he would say the same or IGN or GameSpot scores alone if this happened at another point in time. These are new wrinkles on consistent consumer behavior.

That said, it's also unfortunate if Days Gone actually benefited from a slow burn only for Sony to preclude a potential sequel. But if the title didn't make a sufficiently strong first impression to warrant another title...

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
GoT Season 1:

First-season reviewers said the series had high production values, a fully realized world and compelling characters.[SUP][258][/SUP] According to Variety, "There may be no show more profitable to its network than 'Game of Thrones' is to HBO. Fully produced by the pay cabler and already a global phenomenon after only one season, the fantasy skein was a gamble that has paid off handsomely."[SUP][259][/SUP]

[SUP]Awards:[/SUP]
YearAwardCategoryNominee(s)ResultRef.
2011AFI AwardsAFI TV AwardGame of ThronesWon[SUP][88][/SUP]
Artios AwardsOutstanding Achievement in Casting – Television Pilot DramaNina GoldNominated[SUP][89][/SUP]
Outstanding Achievement in Casting – Television Series DramaNominated
Portal AwardBest ActorSean BeanWon[SUP][90][/SUP]
Best ActressLena HeadeyNominated
Best Supporting ActorPeter DinklageNominated
Best EpisodeWinter Is ComingWon
Best SeriesGame of ThronesWon
Best Young ActorIsaac Hempstead-WrightNominated
Maisie WilliamsNominated
EWwy AwardBest Supporting Actress, DramaEmilia ClarkeWon[SUP][91][/SUP]
[SUP][92][/SUP]
Best Actor, DramaSean BeanNominated
63rd Primetime Emmy AwardsOutstanding Directing for a Drama SeriesTim Van Patten for "Winter Is Coming"Nominated[SUP][87][/SUP]
Outstanding Drama SeriesVince Gerardis, Frank Doelger, Ralph Vicinanza, Mark Huffam, David Benioff, Carolyn Strauss, George R. R. Martin, Guymon Casady and D. B. WeissNominated
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama SeriesPeter DinklageWon
Outstanding Writing for a Drama SeriesDavid Benioff and D. B. Weiss for "Baelor"Nominated
63rd Primetime Creative Arts Emmy AwardsOutstanding Casting for a Drama SeriesNina Gold and Robert SterneNominated
Outstanding Costumes for a SeriesMichele Clapton and Rachael Webb-Crozier for "The Pointy End"Nominated
Outstanding Hairstyling for a Single-Camera SeriesKevin Alexander and Candice Banks for "A Golden Crown"Nominated
Outstanding Main Title DesignAngus Wall, Hameed Shaukat, Kirk Shintani and Robert FengWon
Outstanding Makeup for a Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic)Paul Engelen and Melissa Lackersteen for "Winter Is Coming"Nominated
Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup for a Series, Miniseries, Movie or a SpecialPaul Engelen and Conor O'Sullivan for "A Golden Crown"Nominated
Outstanding Sound Editing for a SeriesRobin Quinn, Steve Fanagan, Eoghan McDonnell, Jon Stevenson, Tim Hands, Stefan Henrix, Caoimhe Doyle, Michelle McCormack and Andy Kennedy for "A Golden Crown"Nominated
Outstanding Special Visual EffectsRafael Morant, Adam McInnes, Graham Hills, Lucy Ainsworth-Taylor, Stuart Brisdon, Damien Macé, Henry Badgett and Angela Barson for "Fire and Blood"Nominated
Outstanding Stunt CoordinationPaul Jennings for "The Wolf and the Lion"Nominated
Women's Image Network AwardsActress Drama SeriesLena HeadeyNominated[SUP][93][/SUP]
International Film Music Critics AssociationBest Original Score for a Television SeriesRamin DjawadiNominated[SUP][94][/SUP]
1st Critics' Choice Television AwardsBest Drama SeriesGame of ThronesNominated[SUP][95][/SUP]
69th Golden Globe AwardsBest Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television FilmPeter DinklageWon[SUP][96][/SUP]
Best Television Series – DramaGame of ThronesNominated
Peabody AwardGame of ThronesWon[SUP][97][/SUP]
16th Satellite AwardsBest Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television FilmPeter DinklageWon[SUP][98][/SUP]
Best Television Series – GenreGame of ThronesNominated
Scream AwardsBest EnsembleGame of ThronesNominated[SUP][99][/SUP]
Best Fantasy ActorSean BeanNominated
Best Fantasy ActressLena HeadeyNominated
Best Supporting ActorPeter DinklageWon
Best TV ShowGame of ThronesWon
Breakout Performance – FemaleEmilia ClarkeWon
Most Memorable Mutilation"Head covered in molten gold" from "A Golden Crown"Nominated
The Ultimate ScreamGame of ThronesNominated
27th TCA AwardsIndividual Achievement in DramaPeter DinklageNominated[SUP][100][/SUP]
Outstanding Achievement in DramaGame of ThronesNominated
Outstanding New ProgramGame of ThronesWon
Program of the YearGame of ThronesNominated
Gold Derby TV Awards 2011Best Drama SeriesGame of ThronesNominated[SUP][101][/SUP]
Best Drama Supporting ActorPeter DinklageNominated
IGN AwardsBest TV HeroSean Bean as Ned StarkWon[SUP][102][/SUP]
Best TV TwistOff with his head!Won
Best TV EpisodeBaelorWon
Best TV SeriesGame of ThronesNominated
Best TV Drama SeriesGame of ThronesNominated
Best TV ActorPeter DinklageNominated
Best TV ActressEmilia ClarkeNominated
Best TV HeroKit Harington as Jon SnowNominated
Best TV VillainJack Gleeson as Joffrey BaratheonNominated
IGN People's Choice AwardBest TV SeriesGame of ThronesWon
Best TV Drama SeriesGame of ThronesWon
Best TV HeroSean Bean as Ned StarkWon
Best TV TwistOff with his head!Won
Best TV EpisodeBaelorNominated
Best TV HeroKit Harington as Jon SnowNominated
Best TV ActorPeter DinklageNominated
Best TV ActressEmilia ClarkeNominated
Best TV VillainJack Gleeson as Joffrey BaratheonNominated
Writers Guild of America AwardsNew SeriesDavid Benioff, Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson, George R. R. Martin, D. B. WeissNominated[SUP][103][/SUP]
Television Drama SeriesDavid Benioff, Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson, George R. R. Martin, D. B. WeissNominated
Oh god, what's happening

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
GoT Season 1:

First-season reviewers said the series had high production values, a fully realized world and compelling characters.[SUP][258][/SUP] According to Variety, "There may be no show more profitable to its network than 'Game of Thrones' is to HBO. Fully produced by the pay cabler and already a global phenomenon after only one season, the fantasy skein was a gamble that has paid off handsomely."[SUP][259][/SUP]
Again, stop rage posting and being a Sony apologist and read what I am saying...or don't, but this nonsense is making you look foolish.

You have not once addressed a single thing about my core point.

Simpe question, do you think metacritic and week one sales are completely accurate barometers of quality and eventual market capture? Yes or no

If yes, explain, if no, then you are agreeing with my critique.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Yeah obviously Sony wants as many full-price sales as possible.... but I'll complain about anything I want regardless of whatever price I was able to personally justify spending, thanks.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With all due respect, games are pretty expensive day one, and I'm not always taking such a risk day one on a poorly reviewed game purely in the hope I'll feel differently to most critics, especially when 90% of the time my opinions roughly line-up with critical consensus.

As per the last Jaffe podcast with the ex-lead at Bend, they did internal review testing, and they knew they had a divisive game in Days Gone before it had even launched. Yet instead of fine tuning or polishing the parts people disliked (keep in mind they spent 6 years on it), they released it nonetheless, and even then it was really buggy at launch too.

Ultimately I don't think his stance is fair on consumers, and I'm glad Sony has a commitment to quality. It's kind of that seal of first party quality I'd want from a system I'd bought.

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone wasn't exactly polished at release, and while the developers did a good job with post-launch support, that's not always the case. I was interested in the game, but I usually don't pay full price at launch unless it's a title I'm really looking forward to.

With Sony setting MSRP at $70 this generation, combined with a nonexistent refund policy on PSN, it's fairly likely I won't buy any of their games at launch.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima is probably a better example but he was talking off the cuff.

Yeah thats probably a better comparison but Days Gone didn't exactly release to rave reviews and had a lot of issues at launch. The same can't be said for Tsushima which was universally praised at launch. His expectations were clearly to high.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sounds like people should complain more tbh, especially since the game got post-release updates

fuck sony with this mindset and I don't even care about days gone. the onus shouldn't be on the playerbase to just be there day 1 regardless and sony should be better about judging games that got major updates after launch to where the metacritic score and early full price sales don't tell the whole story

Oct 28, 2017
You didn't mention the MP beta in your previous post but yeah, only looking at the score of the first few reviews and being "done" with said game is silly... The sad thing is that a lot of people likely do the same shit nowadays.
Yeah i did. Post #601, Its all good. Allot of people in that thread fall into that camp as well. That review thread is full of them.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, what terrifies me the most about any publisher giving Metacritic scores so much power and influence is that most of the times the kind of games that get the biggest scores from critics are basically the artistic equivalent of Marvel movies.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I already edited my post, lol.

You are the guy who said GoT was not a success. I just tried to show you it was, a massive hit. I had a copy/paste fuck up, oh the horror...
Again, you are not reading the words I am actually writing.

Either start doing so or bother someone else with your inane corporate apologetics.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Lots of consumers prefer to wait for bundles and sales for all sorts of items, not just video games. I think this behavior is well-documented enough that someone like him shouldn't be surprised by it, even if he is disappointed. And as for his comments on Metacritic, I suspect he would say the same or IGN or GameSpot scores alone if this happened at another point in time. These are new wrinkles on consistent consumer behavior.

That said, it's also unfortunate if Days Gone actually benefited from a slow burn only for Sony to preclude a potential sequel. But if the title didn't make a sufficiently strong first impression to warrant another title...
I think that's exactly what Sony is going to fight this gen.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
This seems like a whole lot of mental gymnastics to blame someone else for his game not resonating with the people who buy day 1 and with critics. And I don't think this was some marketing failure from Sony — reaction to Days Gone was pretty immediately lukewarm from the first demo it got. I'm glad it found some later audience on sale, but there's no way to blame the consumers if the game just didn't appeal to the people who would be willing to show up with $60 on day one. This weird grievance tour really isn't engendering much sympathy to him or his future projects.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the lede is getting buried here.

He basically says he was fired because he was horrible to work with. That's actually news.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
As always, only sell at what you think your game is worth. If you put it on sale then you are choosing that price, and any issues are with you for picking it. If you put your game in a bundle/PSPlus/GamePass then you are further devaluing your work to a price point that you are willing to accept. Customers don't set the price, we never have. So don't complain when you decide to lower your price below a point you are happy with.

New games are expensive, but I probably buy more at full price due to playing the "devalued" versions of a studios back catalogue than I have before.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Project leads for video game development really need to broaden their launch models.

Days Gone should have been reduced in scope once it entered into development issues. Bend tried to bite off more than they could chew. I say this as a huge fan of the game and believer in Days Gone as an underrated gem, IMO.

However, there should be no hesitation in releasing games as "episodic" content. By far the most boring section of Days Gone is the first location. If I was project lead, I would have pushed for Bend to focus development on the first 1/3rd of the game. Devote all of the studios resources into crafting a special experience within the first available map. Write a more tightly crafted narrative around the characters introduced, while hinting at the broader narrative scope. Create better gameplay encounters and refine the gameplay mechanics so they would scale easily in future development. Then release that section of the game as episode 1 at say $30.

An alternate universe where Days Gone released as three episodic style games, all tightly crafted, bug free, better paced and priced at $30 would be interesting. Eventually, the full game could be rereleased at full price with challenge mode as a new bonus.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I paid $20 for it on Black Friday
I'm not fucking rich to buy everything day one lol
This guy talks like we need to support a billion dollar company in Sony but paying for everything full price day 1

new IPs in general are a "wait and see how it reviews/goes on sale" for a lot of people tbh

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, what terrifies me the most about any publisher giving Metacritic scores so much power and influence is that most of the times the kind of games that get the biggest scores from critics are basically the artistic equivalent of Marvel movies.

I don't think that's true at all tbh. A high meta score isn't specific to any particular genre of game, see Ori and the Will of Whisps, Dreams, Astrobot, Shadow of the Colossus, Persona 5, Forza Horizon 4, Hades and so on.

Likewise, being a Marvel esque blockbuster far from guarantees you'll review well, see Anthem, Avengers, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, The Order 1886, Mafia III, Mad Max, Days Gone, Ryse, Quantum Break, Fallout 76 etc. In-fact the overwhelming number of these big AAAA games, do not actually review exceptionally well. It's only a rare few that do.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the reviews and watching footage post launch gives you like 100% more understanding of if the games would appeal to you versus "arbitrary scores that aren't even using the median as a reference point, but the easily influenced average" as a point of determination.
So you're happy that data set A exists, and mad that data set B exists. You should be happy the more data we have.

Only the quantifiable dataset is partificularly useful to a corporation. Looking at a trailer to see if something strikes your interest is good for you, but it is not quantifiable data.

Even if these decsions were based on fan reaction to trailers - fan trailer reaction for Days Gone was bad anyways. So no matter what metric you use, investment in Days Gone is probably a bad idea (and was from the beginning).

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I think the lede is getting buried here.

He basically says he was fired because he was horrible to work with. That's actually news.
Basically someone combed what was a in context, a cringe interview due to Jaffe, who spent an hour plus trying to goad this developer into trashing Sony, but avoided it, then eventually made a roundabout criticism in a misdirected way but to me the real story is that the guy is a bit of a bad boss and Sony has some very shortsighted metrics for judging success and failure at their company, separate from whether Days Gone was worth keeping going.

But this clickbait author found the snippet that would make consumers and haters of the game rally and give them clicks.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason consumers tend to wait for game launches...

Because they are often broken as fuck on release.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Was hoping the creator of the game saying "stop whining about a sequel to a game that didn't receive the requisite support" would've shut people up but nooooooo.

Also, the overlap between people going "yikes" at the notion that Sony cares about critical reception and the people who go "what's that metacritic 👀" on the launch day of any major release, even those they have 0 interest in playing is 105%. Bomba!