• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I'd be surprised if Bumblebee wasn't playable as well, so a whopping 2 playable black girls (one on each side). Though they didn't show her off at all. But yeah.
it's not just that they didn't show her. It's that Batgirl, Wonder Woman, and Powergirl are all intro'd with full-screen solo splashpages, and the other girls on the team (the ones we haven't seen played) are all lumped together into one smaller intro.

Then they do the same with the villains- big, loud, solo introductions for the ones we've seen played, smaller group intro for the rest.

Wait so, based on the opening, Is it Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Power Girl, Harley, Catwoman and Star Sapphire? That's wack, I thought for sure it'd be the 6 girls with the villains as extras, not the opposite, that's kinda wack.
I don't know for sure, but yeah, that's what it looks like to me. 3 playable heroes, and 3 playable villains. Guess we'll see. And if so, I hope they at least add the rest as DLC at some point.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
This is supposed to drop tomorrow? I haven't really heard much and Nintendo didn't really market it. I guess the expectations are really low for this one.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
it's not just that they didn't show her. It's that Batgirl, Wonder Woman, and Powergirl are all intro'd with full-screen solo splashpages, and the other girls on the team (the ones we haven't seen played) are all lumped together into one smaller intro.

Then they do the same with the villains- big, loud, solo introductions for the ones we've seen played, smaller group intro for the rest.

I don't know for sure, but yeah, that's what it looks like to me. 3 playable heroes, and 3 playable villains. Guess we'll see. And if so, I hope they at least add the rest as DLC at some point.
You bring up a valid point, considering Bumblebee and Jessica are main cast members in the show.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Honestly, with the potential revelations about the playable cast, I'm surprised Zatanna isn't playable. She's incredibly popular (if my discord is anything to go by) and the hero side is certainly lacking in no melee users (In fact, the closest thing to a ranged/mage type is Star Sapphire). Hell, everyone that got left out would fit in a mage-ish role.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can't play the whole cast? that's really fucking weak. that's gonna disappoint a lot of people. Zatanna and Jessica are pretty damn popular

Oct 26, 2017
Picked this up this morning for my 7 year old. She's having a blast. Supergirl's flight took her awhile to adjust to but she has a handle of things. It really is a straight forward beat em up with rpg elements and a basic open world. NGL, i'll be playing this to its end myself. It reminds me as a game i would have played two gens ago (design wise, not technical). I'm always nostalgic for stuff like that.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Got my copy and I'm gonna boot it up during my lunch break but, can confirm, based on the Box, the Playable Cast def looks to be:

Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Powergirl, Harley, Catwoman and Star Sapphire. Jessica and Bumblebee shafted T~T

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
edit : i may have posted on the wrong thread, sorry

made my post here.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Still not a single review out there. Or at least, nothing listed on metacritic. Gonna play a bit tomorrow though, so I guess we'll see how things go.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still not a single review out there. Or at least, nothing listed on metacritic. Gonna play a bit tomorrow though, so I guess we'll see how things go.
I read (was it here?) that review copies were sent out today (launch day). Given the demographic, it makes sense. I can see this game getting review-bombed on metacritic

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this ever got formerly announced but since people asked me in the original thread, the main production developer behind the game's design is Toybox: the design studio started by various Marvelous staff, including the former COO of Marvelous & Grasshopper. This is the main project they worked on while finishing up Deadly Premonition 2.

Not sure who got contracted out to do the programming though.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Any reviews or detailed impressions anywhere yet? Saw some brief comments that it is pretty short and really repetitive, but I'm hoping to find something a bit more detailed so I can see if my daughter will enjoy it or not.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
kinda hype to play this, but definitely gonna give it a couple months at least and see if I can pick it up on sale. I've seen the show a couple times and it seemed sweet, but I think it'll be extra nice to go in kinda blind on these versions of the characters

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
kinda hype to play this, but definitely gonna give it a couple months at least and see if I can pick it up on sale. I've seen the show a couple times and it seemed sweet, but I think it'll be extra nice to go in kinda blind on these versions of the characters
unfortunately, it's a nintendo game. who knows how sales will go

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Any reviews or detailed impressions anywhere yet? Saw some brief comments that it is pretty short and really repetitive, but I'm hoping to find something a bit more detailed so I can see if my daughter will enjoy it or not.

If I had to give it a quick summary, I'd say it's like a bite-sized character action / bayonetta mixed with some minor open world exploration. The general gameflow is basically 'Character Combat encounter, plot cutscene, exploration, plot cutscene, repeat'. The Exploration section is where the bulk of the gameplay comes from, where you can explore the city, talk to civilians to get side quests that can unlock money/skillpoints/costumes/poses and generally take in the atmosphere of the city. While the npcs aren't voiced, all of the show characters are and the writing is pretty spot on for the characters.

As a 28 yo man who's been playing games since I was about 5, I think it's an incredibly charming game, particularly for being a licensed game. It runs incredibly smoothly, the controls are solid (if a bit unwieldy to me at times because I play on the other 2 consoles a bunch. Remembering the difference between dodge ad jump is a hassle) and the music low-key kinda slaps at times. I think it captures the vibes of the show incredibly well and it's definitely the kind of game I'd have loved as a kid for a show I liked, as there's not much 'wrong' with it.

It isn't too difficult (biased, of course, due to experience), but each combat encounter has 2 rewards categories: Stars and Shards. Each encounter has 3 different objectives that aren't required to complete the mission, but give rewards if you complete them. Shards are given for completing those objectives to a higher degree. For example:

Objectives:
1. Do a Chain of 50 hits
2. Perform 3 Just Dodges
3. Keep health above 80% (this doesn't mean don't get hit, just end the battle with higher than 80% hp)

Shard Objectives:
1. Do a Chain of 100 hits
2. Perform 5 Just Dodges
3. Don't get hit at all.

Unlike with the reg. Objectives where you can get 1 or 2 and still get some reward, the only way to get the Shard reward is to complete all 3. None of these are required, I want to stress, but it can lead to frustration if the player can't get them. Even I've started to say 'screw that' from time to time on some of them, haha.

As for complaints, I'd find fault in:

1. All the main 6 aren't playable (unless they're secret post-game unlocks). I haven't gotten to the other perspective yet, but the playable characters are: Supergirl, Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Catwoman and Star Sapphire. The other 6 characters are present in the story and are fully voice acted like the rest of the important characters, but if your daughter wants to play as Zatanna, Bumblebee, etc not listed above, she's out of luck.

2. This ties into the bite-sized Character action bit, but despite the smoothness of the gameplay, there isn't a tremendous amount of depth. Each character has a 4 / 5 hit combo on Y, a character-specific ability on X, a special attack on R1 and a Super attack on R2. The combo at the beginning is the combo throughout the whole game and upgrading the Special/Super only serves to make the cooldowns shorter on them. This may not be an issue for a newbie (and I think the simplicity is pretty good for getting younger people into the genre), but that's definitely where parts of the complaints about repetitiveness come from, I'm sure.

3. Despite the decent amount of QoL features in the game, it's kind of annoying having to swap between characters to initiate / participate in some quests in the city. Sometimes, the objectives won't even show up to interact with unless you're the specific character (for example, there was a quest where I played WW and had to take pictures of some Catwoman graffiti around town. If I wasn't playing as WW specifically, the graffiti just doesn't appear). Character swapping in the menu is fast, so it's not a 'big' issue, but it can be annoying to have to swap in the menu over and over if you're doing a lot of side quests at once.

4. The repetition definitely starts to set in if you're trying to do all of the content at once. I've been running around after each story mission to do side quests so I can get more money to get more drip. There isn't a 'lot' of it in the shops and some of the clothes require you to do these side quests, so I can see it get annoying trying to figure out which ones actually unlock outfits and which ones are just for money/Skill points.

5. All the characters share the same XP, so if you want to use all 3 characters on a regular basis, you're going to have to ration the XP. Leveling up isn't 'super' crucial, but they do give benefits nonetheless.

I'm about 7-10 hours in (lost track of time in my last session) and I'm still only playing the heroes side of the story, but these are some of my impressions so far.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to give it a quick summary SNIP

Thank you! I think I will just find a longer gameplay video and let my daughter see if it seems interesting. I think the exploring part will be the main attraction for her so it will come down to if the reading is too annoying for her or if she thinks the fighting parts will be too hard.