• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Got about 1 1/2 hours in last night and it's so good so far. I just kept yelling 'why would you take this out', some of the stuff removed is insane. Can't wait to finish it tonight.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm glad that we're not getting a Justice League 2. Knowing the direction Zack Snyder wants to take it, I feel like people won't like it. More evil Superman, the dark state of things in the Knightmare timeline.

After finally getting the Superman people have been wanting to see in this, only to regress back into Evil Superman again, people won't fly with that. I know I won't. Evil Superman is overdone, unoriginal and boring.

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
I think I'm glad that we're not getting a Justice League 2. Knowing the direction Zack Snyder wants to take it, I feel like people won't like it. More evil Superman, the dark state of things in the Knightmare timeline.

After finally getting the Superman people have been wanting to see in this, only to regress back into Evil Superman again, people won't fly with that. I know I won't. Evil Superman is overdone, unoriginal and boring.
I'm fine with it being for a JL2 that might have been 5 years later, after a man of steel sequel and the other stuff. It doesn't seem like the plan was to do the Darkseid stuff right after.

Oct 25, 2017
That Flash movie is about to be so damn awkward if it's following the Whedon cut. The casual audience would be so confused after what happened in the Snyder cut.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017

It would be cool if it was the Nightmare timeline and the current timeline shown in parallel. That way we would see the 2 "Justice Leagues" each dealing with their own problems and also have normal Supes and evil Supes. Anyway, none of this shit is likely to happen.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Time to play... What in this movie breaks continuity moving forward in other DCEU movies?

Mera's accent
Arthur not really knowing Mera in his own movie at the start
Air bubbles to speak
Wonder Woman still be hidden until BvS
And I know there was actually something else, but now I can't remember, crap.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
How does AM contradict? It takes place after JL

When they were doing Justice League, the trident was his mother's. He trained with it and always had it (Edit: in Aquaman, for clarity). It was intended in JL to be the Trident of Neptune, the same one from the comics that gives Arthur control over water. This one:

latest

Look familiar?

But then they started on Aquaman, and realized they wanted to play around with an Excalibur-style myth, even though they had already done that. So, new trident (actually a trident this time!), new armor. Essentially, the film repeats the story beats in both JL cuts.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
When they were doing Justice League, the trident was his mother's. He trained with it and always had it (Edit: in Aquaman, for clarity). It was intended in JL to be the Trident of Neptune, the same one from the comics that gives Arthur control over water. This one:

latest

Look familiar?

But then they started on Aquaman, and realized they wanted to play around with an Excalibur-style myth, even though they had already done that. So, new trident (actually a trident this time!), new armor. Essentially, the film repeats the story beats in both JL cuts.
Did he always have it in Aquaman? It seems like Vulco kept it and would train with him as he aged. So when he presents it to Arthur in JL along with some armor, it would still make sense. Vulco was saying to him, it's finally time to accept this as your birthright and man up.

EDIT - Just skimmed through the Aquaman movie and yep, it's how I said above. Vulco kept it for him while he grew up. You could say that Arthur gave it back to Vulco at the end of JL which would explain why he didn't have it at the beginning of Aquaman and why Vulco gave it to him during the first fight with Orm.

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Here's another one for you.

How do Atlanteans talk in Justice League? Dolphin stuff or the bubbles. Wan disliked that, so he ignored it.

screenrant.com

Aquaman Interview: Geoff Johns, Will Beal, and Johnson-McGoldrick

We interview the film's co-writers.
Geoff Johns: That was really the only— James had said right away. Like right away. It was from the time we sat down to start breaking the story and writing the treatment. He didn't want it. He just knew he didn't want to do the bubbles.

Geoff Johns: Remember we had a scene where, like a joke, "Where's the restroom?" And he went into this place and he got out. He comes out and goes, "How do you use it?" Which is was funny. I don't know, it never really made it into the, I don't even know if, I think it was in an early draft and it fell out pretty early. But we did have conversations about, with James about, you know, how do they talk underwater. And James was very adamant upfront that he just wanted to make a very, very simple-- He wanted to have scenes underwater where they could talk to each other and there wouldn't be a huge mechanical issue behind that. Because it felt more, you know, he wanted to-- But more like the Hunt for Red October method of, they speak in Russian and then suddenly they're speaking English. And you just can enjoy the story. The story for what it is. But James had, early on knew right away, he was going to do that.

Will Beall: He did. I remember that-- Didn't they end up having it? Didn't--?

Geoff Johns: In Justice League, they make a bubble. And he didn't want to do it.

Will Beall: He was like, "Nuts to that." Which I think was smart.

Geoff Johns: I do too. I think that was really smart. He just said, "I don't want to-- I want to have to clean scenes with just characters talking under water and that's just the way it is." And there's that one line when he's like, "I can talk underwater?" And you're like, "Yeah, it's your superpower."

The solos took cues from JL, but they just said "fuck it" and did their own things, to hell with continuity. And the retcons are just ham-fisted. Which I don't have a problem with, but they are contradictions because those production teams wanted to do their own things. Flash will be the same.

EDIT - Just skimmed through the Aquaman movie and yep, it's how I said above. Vulco kept it for him while he grew up. You could say that Arthur gave it back to Vulco at the end of JL which would explain why he didn't have it at the beginning of Aquaman and why Vulco gave it to him during the first fight with Orm.

He had it in the teenage scene, and never gets rid of it. And when Mera comes on land to bring him to Atlantis, he just has it again. The first fight scene in the sub is without it, but as soon as Mera does the rescue, he has it before heading to Atlantis. This is prior to meeting Vulko again and the Orm fight.

Like the "you could say" part is what I'm talking about. We're guessing because stuff jumps around. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Here's another one for you.

How do Atlanteans talk in Justice League? Dolphin stuff or the bubbles. Wan disliked that, so he ignored it.

screenrant.com

Aquaman Interview: Geoff Johns, Will Beal, and Johnson-McGoldrick

We interview the film's co-writers.

The solos took cues from JL, but they just said "fuck it" and did their own things, to hell with continuity. And the retcons are just ham-fisted. Which I don't have a problem with, but they are contradictions because those production teams wanted to do their own things. Flash will be the same.
I'm going to say in my head canon that when we see them just 'talk' underwater in Aquaman, they're actually using those dolphin clicks or other methods, but as a viewer we just see it as English. Kinda like how in Star Trek (or Starlord in Guardians of the Galaxy) everyone has a universal translator. The air bubbles are maybe just an easier way to speak English when there's a lot of information needed to be presented? Whatever, it's all good.

Oh, I also remembered the other big continuity error between JL and Aquaman. Mera says her parents are dead in JL, but obviously her dad is alive and well in the Aquaman movie. There's also the whole, "I don't even know your name" that Arthur says to her, which I don't think was needed at all in that movie. He should've known who Mera was since he was a teenager being trained by Vulco.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to say in my head canon that when we see them just 'talk' underwater in Aquaman, they're actually using those dolphin clicks or other methods, but as a viewer we just see it as English. Kinda like how in Star Trek (or Starlord in Guardians of the Galaxy) everyone has a universal translator. The air bubbles are maybe just an easier way to speak English when there's a lot of information needed to be presented? Whatever, it's all good.

Oh, I also remembered the other big continuity error between JL and Aquaman. Mera says her parents are dead in JL, but obviously her dad is alive and well in the Aquaman movie. There's also the whole, "I don't even know your name" that Arthur says to her, which I don't think was needed at all in that movie. He should've known who Mera was since he was a teenager being trained by Vulco.

I mentioned the trident again above in edit, but this is what I'm talking about. The solo films aren't beholden to either cut of JL. Those teams pretty much got to do what they wanted.

Again, I don't think it's a huge problem, this was all in response to this:

That Flash movie is about to be so damn awkward if it's following the Whedon cut. The casual audience would be so confused after what happened in the Snyder cut.

And the point is, it doesn't matter.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Snyder had said before he was fine with the solo movies doing their own thing, it was the original plan, remember the whole "DC is director driven" thing, as long as his movies made sense together, which they do.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
re: the trident. In both cuts of JL, there were multiple tridents. The design and lore changed around the, for lack of a better term, "true" trident is changed. In JL, it's used by the ancient king in the history sequence. In Aquaman, it belonged to King Atlan. Now, both may be the same character, the same king, despite different actors and lore. But I think the intention was always Arthur rising to be King, getting the true trident, and his golden/orange suit in the solo film.

To me a real continuity error there is Arthur's relationship with Atlantis. Might be reading into it but the way he speaks, it sounds like he might've been there in JL and met Orm. In Aquaman, it's pretty important that he's being introduced to this new world for the first time.

And admittedly I've never been deep into Aquaman lore. The bubble thing is weird for two reasons. First, can Vulko control water like that? Can all of them? And second, I get it as a conceit for Arthur who may not speak the language. But even between Mera and the soldiers they do it. I think it's one of those things they overthought you give a science-y explanation.

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
And admittedly I've never been deep into Aquaman lore. The bubble thing is weird for two reasons. First, can Vulko control water like that? Can all of them? And second, I get it as a conceit for Arthur who may not speak the language. But even between Mera and the soldiers they do it. I think it's one of those things they overthought you give a science-y explanation.

In the comics, Mera and a few others can do it, but it's not common. (Both previous Aqualads.) Arthur can only do it with the trident, hence why he carries it.

That seems to carry over to the solo film, while JL set it up so they could talk.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Way it is in JL, it's unclear what powers are innate to Atlantis folk and what is for a select few.

re: the ending cameo. Zack clarified how it went down. When what was filmed:

There was a version filmed with Affleck in 2016/17 where he meets the Green Lanterns (specifically names John Stewart). Sounds like they tried reusing that footage with the new Martian Manhunter ending. But ended up reshooting Affleck's side as well.

So that whole scene with Affleck in the lake house was filmed a couple months ago.

There's also this quote about the hypothetical JL3
I'll be frank—Superman is the main character in the final film. He was always the main character in the final film in the two movies that [would have] followed this movie. And that was the bookended aspect, that it was always going to get back to being all on Superman to lead after the death of Batman. He has to become the de facto Justice League head, to hold the team together emotionally.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I kind of like the air bubbles. Snyder is so insane and methodical that he thinks about how speedsters would interact with physics, how speech wouldn't travel well underwater and how time travel would work when Earth constantly rotates around the sun. The man invented a Kryptonian language because he thought it'd be weird that Kryptonians would speak English on Krypton.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any news/rumors about the villain for the Flash movie? I stopped following it when it looked like it was never gonna happen.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
The man invented a Kryptonian language because he thought it'd be weird that Kryptonians would speak English on Krypton.

Kryptonese has been around since 1986, it's just not really worth breaking pace to deal with it in film. It's the same reason Wan struck down the bubbles.

Has there been any news/rumors about the villain for the Flash movie? I stopped following it when it looked like it was never gonna happen.

It'll be Reverse Flash. It'll always be Reverse Flash. Especially if they're doing any version of Flashpoint.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kryptonese has been around since 1986, it's just not really worth breaking pace to deal with it in film. It's the same reason Wan struck down the bubbles.

It'll be Reverse Flash. It'll always be Reverse Flash. Especially if they're doing any version of Flashpoint.

Yeah it's probably too much to hope for a fun heist movie with the Rogues

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have plenty of thoughts, but my initial ones were

1. Why did Joss or studio executive add in the whole dynamic of the League bickering with each other constantly? Like none of that seems to be in this version. Sure give each other some sass, but not like fighting.

2. I'm surprised that the thing they butchered was the final fight. Like sure I get why they eliminate the final 2 elements, but even some of the stuff with Batman and the eam working together was cut.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I have no idea why Mera spoke with a british accent but that means Emilia Clarke can use her natural accent if she replaces Heard.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017

1. Why did Joss or studio executive add in the whole dynamic of the League bickering with each other constantly? Like none of that seems to be in this version. Sure give each other some sass, but not like fighting.
Seems to be a thing with him. Did that with the Avengers aswell. Maybe its his attempt at humanizing these characters, but instead it made them seems like this group of misfits when they should be a band of heroes which the Snydercut gave us.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017

I've noticed Joss (or maybe a studio exec) doesn't like scenes to be...still for the moment in time. Like watch this and notice how flash says more via ADR

youtu.be

Superman vs Justice League | Justice League 4k SDR

#ReleaseTheSnyderCutJustice League (2017)Clip: Superman vs Justice LeagueJustice League playlist: https://goo.gl/FCfR1CFilm discription: Fueled by his restor...

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

2. I'm surprised that the thing they butchered was the final fight. Like sure I get why they eliminate the final 2 elements, but even some of the stuff with Batman and the eam working together was cut.
I dont get why Joss decided it was necessary to spend time creating a loud annoying sound for the parademons. Snyder shows Batman doesn't need that at all.

I have no idea why Mera spoke with a british accent but that means Emilia Clarke can use her natural accent if she replaces Heard.
People keep bringing her accent up. But her accent is in the TC and her scenes in here were filmed before her character was set in Aquaman (except for the epilogue).

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking about Batman's arc and what's public about Deathstroke's motive, among other info, there are ideas of what that movie could've been. Easily to imagine it's a struggle of trying to be better, this downright optimistic Batman we see in JL, dealing with his troubled past. Deathstroke in part is a physical force to the crimes of his past. Almost like what Arrow season 5 was about.

That and the butterfly on his hand were touching.

We always get into ideas of who and what Superman is, how sometimes our first exposure influences it, etc. and there's a spectrum of moods and whatnot in that. I dunno. For me, a butterfly crawling on Clark's hand just felt like Superman. That sort of gentle and calm confidence.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Just got finished watching it and.... wow.

Im still processing it but my word.

Everything after Silas' final speech felt a bit unnecessary to tell the truth. But aside from that this is definitely one of my favourite cape films.

Those old WB execs, John's and Whedon really need to answer for their crimes smh.

Ray Fisher was brilliant.

And aaah man I loved the small part of Ryan Choi we got in this.