• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Big assumption that Warners manages things smoothly from here on, but with renewed interest in Justice League as a property (note: not a Zack Snyder led follow up) they could build to big ass climax. Not something to rival MCU's portals or whatever, because frankly: they can't. But taking a step back to see the universe as a whole, it's much larger than it was in 2014/2015 when initial sequel ideas were outlined.

Shazam has his family. Black Adam has the Justice Society. Green Lantern Corps is moving along. JL Dark. Obv the Justice League and their respective crews. The old and new Suicide Squad. Birds of Prey. Young solo characters like Static and Blue Beetle. Potential two Supermen and a Supergirl. It's a lot.

Personally I'm not into those massive battles where each character says a line and leaves. But it's there if they ever went in that direction. One day Disney will buy DC and make an eight hour crossover movie where young deepfake Burt Ward Robin fights alongside Daniel Radcliffe's Wolverine against the Antimonitor+Galactus combo. Avatar will still outperform at in the box office.
a climax to what lol. it's all disonnected. 4 years later and they still have nothing close to any sort of overarching plan at all. vague mentions of multiverse don't count (which ironically Snyder was the first to mention). Snyder is still the only person who ever bothered to put together any kind of overarching story, this is why people want him back. WB are just blindly throwing darts at a board.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
You guys need to rewatch what Hamada said during DC Fandome since some of ya'll forgot; he has no interest in a "connected" universe. He want's stories told by different directors with different visions. Basically the opposite of what Marvel is doing.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, we won't see Darkseid in a live action movie for another 20-30 years. I'll probably be dead by then.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Those were the conversations a year ago. Warners is nothing if not reactionary. Value in the Justice League brand is stronger now. That's just a fact. Whether or not they adjust plans to fit in something new is to be seen.

Now, this sounds crazy but hear me out. What I can see happening: James Wan makes the next Justice League movie. This would be after Aquaman 2, so around a 2025 release. It may or may not follow up this JL, but it won't carry on the story of the Knightmare and whatnot. Pre-Avengers, Warners had the idea of Justice League being its own franchise, outside of a Superman franchise and Batman franchise etc. For the most part the old DCEU and cast will be in this Justice League bubble. In ten years or so they reboot and recast these characters if they want another connected universe. By that point, even Reeves' trilogy will be done and out and they'll be wanting a new Batman. I think what's interesting is how you can anchor the transition around The Flash. He can be the one character you don't reboot. You just move onto Wally West as the lead in a third movie, because it's The Flash and there's bullshit and Barry sacrifices himself and speedsters are aware of the the changes. Comic book stuff. And if you really want to get into comic book bullshit, you have Ezra as Thawne as the villain in Flash 3 ala Return of Barry Allen.

This is all hypothetical fan fic nonsense.

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
You should pay attention to the interview Sarnoff held a few days ago

we're so excited about the potential to build out the DC multiverse. It's one of the reasons why I was hired almost two years ago. The before-and-after was it was a very siloed organization with no connectivity between the businesses. DC was being developed, but in a kind of monolithic way in each division. My mantra coming in was to make it bigger and broader and we really want to surprise and delight the fans with more connective tissue across the various media and platforms. I'm talking movies, HBO Max, television and our games division

They saw this character in movies and it had nothing to do with that character in TV. Creating that more unified vision, which is coming together with Peacemaker spinning off of "The Suicide Squad" and you'll see a lot more of that going forward. You'll also see original things in businesses that don't relate, and that's okay too, but we're in charge of that decisionmaking about whether to connect dots or not.

We don't want to be predictable. We want fans to spot Easter Eggs at the end of the movie that relate to a movie or show coming up or a show about to launch on HBO Max. We can harken back to something that was said in "The Flash" movie or there could be a cameo appearance of one of the actors from one movie into a current show

www.google.com

WarnerMedia’s Ann Sarnoff on ‘Zack Snyder’s Justice League’ and DC’s Future

WarnerMedia's Ann Sarnoff discusses 'Zack Snyder's Justice League,' toxic fandom, and the 'bigger and broader' future she's charting for DC.

Seems like they have a storyline (obviously why they don't want the SC as canon) but they don't want to tell us, they want to "surprise us"....

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Sarnoff talks about easter eggs and cameos. It's obvious Henry Cavill isn't returning and you can't have a Justice League without Superman. Pattinson's Batman is its own thing set in a trilogy of movies. Keaton is even older than Affleck. Which path leads to a Justice League movie in, say, the next 10 years? That interview screams they have no interest in that.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sarnoff talks about easter eggs and cameos. It's obvious Henry Cavill isn't returning and you can't have a Justice League without Superman. Pattinson's Batman is its own thing set in a trilogy of movies. Keaton is even older than Affleck. Which path leads to a Justice League movie in, say, the next 10 years? That interview screams they have no interest in that.
I mean they are developing a different Superman project

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
So, like I said, no JL movie in the next ten years. WB isn't planning to rush to catch up to Avengers again. It's a shame because Cavill is a good actor. He just needs a good script and a studio backing him up.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Wan helming a JL2 seems likely if things ever mode in that direction.

Anyone check out the How Did This Get Made episode on JL?

Mostly a fun listen aside from some moronic statements.

I had to roll my eyes hard when Mantzoukas claims the SC only happened because of toxic fandom.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think what we'll probably see are crossovers

Sort of like how The Flash was gonna be a buddy movie with Cyborg

Wonder Woman and the Birds of Prey

Aquaman and King Shark Atlantis Road trip movie.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Wan helming a JL2 seems likely if things ever mode in that direction.

Anyone check out the How Did This Get Made episode on JL?

Mostly a fun listen aside from some moronic statements.

I had to roll my eyes hard when Mantzoukas claims the SC only happened because of toxic fandom.

To be fair, no one has time to read the truth. Fact is predominantly white writers have erased the POC folk responsible for most of the grassroots snydercut movement, charities, streams, etc. Or the fact that toxic fans led to the 2017 movie. It's telling how bad faith the narrative is when articles fail to mention anything involving Joss, Ray, etc. It is what it is. Again, can't blame anyone for reading these things and running with it. People are busy.

One thing I'll say about Mantzoukas: I'm watching Invincible (good stuff, three episodes in) and his character is the worst, in a good way. I didn't read the comic but he seems to be a riff on Gambit.

This was an amazing sequence, and the music just makes it all the better.

I discovered his YouTube channel the other day and he does long breakdowns on various tracks (calling the series "studio time"). Super interesting to see the process. And obviously it's not the same for everyone, but it helps me understand what goes into scoring these movies. Admittedly it's an area of filmmaking most lost on me as a non-musician.

It's funny to hear the direction from the director as something so vague, and having to interpret that using the story and characters and sometimes temp tracks to create something new.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, no one has time to read the truth. Fact is predominantly white writers have erased the POC folk responsible for most of the grassroots snydercut movement, charities, streams, etc. Or the fact that toxic fans led to the 2017 movie. It's telling how bad faith the narrative is when articles fail to mention anything involving Joss, Ray, etc. It is what it is. Again, can't blame anyone for reading these things and running with it. People are busy.

One thing I'll say about Mantzoukas: I'm watching Invincible (good stuff, three episodes in) and his character is the worst, in a good way. I didn't read the comic but he seems to be a riff on Gambit.
Yeah I would think those guys being so close to Hollywood would take the time to do a bit of research, oh well. Mantz is a funny guy though.

I'll have to check out Invincible. Between that, JL, and Falcon x Bucky, I'm thinking cape kino is back on the menu.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Reading more in the VFX process, I don't know why they filmed Ezra in the new scene. He's nearly all CGI and doesn't say anything. Maybe there were alternate takes with more. Given the whole story about directing him over Zoom on the fantastic beasts set, it doesn't feel necessary.

Was surprised to learn in the scene with Iris, all the clothing is CGI.

Watching BTS scenes for Quicksilver in the X-men movies, the mansion explosion took six weeks to film. Turns out speedsters are difficult in live action! But they made underwater people work, so yeah.

edit:

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

This was an amazing sequence, and the music just makes it all the better.

Thanks for this! This dude is so talented

I discovered his YouTube channel the other day and he does long breakdowns on various tracks (calling the series "studio time"). Super interesting to see the process. And obviously it's not the same for everyone, but it helps me understand what goes into scoring these movies. Admittedly it's an area of filmmaking most lost on me as a non-musician.

It's funny to hear the direction from the director as something so vague, and having to interpret that using the story and characters and sometimes temp tracks to create something new.
One of my favorite stories is for Nolan's Interstellar. Hans had no visuals to work with when he made the main theme. And the only details Nolan told him was that it was basically about a father being away from his child. I think Nolan and Hans are the best duo of all time

www.businessinsider.com

The Story Of How Hans Zimmer Wrote The 'Interstellar' Theme Will Give You Chills

All he had was a short story with two lines of dialogue.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine Hans is aware of Mr. Nolan's wants after so many collaborations. Sometimes "Hans Zimmer" is a brand as much as a person, singular. Sometimes he's credited but his has a crew take care of it. There's nothing wrong with that. But I imagine it's more a personal project when Mr. Nolan calls him up.

Hans choosing Dune over Tenet, tho. Poor Mr. Nolan.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine Hans is aware of Mr. Nolan's wants after so many collaborations. Sometimes "Hans Zimmer" is a brand as much as a person, singular. Sometimes he's credited but his has a crew take care of it. There's nothing wrong with that. But I imagine it's more a personal project when Mr. Nolan calls him up.

Hans choosing Dune over Tenet, tho. Poor Mr. Nolan.
Tenet was definitely missing Hans music. I could listen to Time and No Time for Caution on repeat forever. I hope Dune is as good

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
4 DC movies next year

The Batman - March 4th
Black Adam - July 29th
The Flash - Nov 4th
Aquaman 2 - Dec 16th

I have a feeling Aquabro is getting punted to 2023.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
4 DC movies next year

The Batman - March 4th
Black Adam - July 29th
The Flash - Nov 4th
Aquaman 2 - Dec 16th

I have a feeling Aquabro is getting punted to 2023.
Yeah AQ2 is gonna end up moving to 2023. There has been almost no progress on that one.

Galaxy Brain Theory: Aquaman 2 is being retooled as JL2: Thrones of Atlantis

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Aquaman 2 moving is a bet I'd take. Hell, I could see The Flash moving to Aquaman 2's date for the holiday boost.

Aside, rewatching the trailer for The Batman. Def the comic movie I'm most looking forward to. Maybe even the blockbuster. Still wild how dope the trailer is despite how little was shot at the time.

Kinda love how versatile Batman is where you have Affleck's as this more iconic take, grey and black tights, impractical gadgets, going up against super beings. Jump to Pattinson's, it's grounded, wearing baggy armor that looks relatively practical, he's driving a muscle car, fighting cops and goons. Reeves seems like he's making it even more grounded and gritty than Mr. Nolan's take.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah AQ2 is gonna end up moving to 2023. There has been almost no progress on that one.

Galaxy Brain Theory: Aquaman 2 is being retooled as JL2: Thrones of Atlantis
I thought AQ2 is supposed to begin filming this summer in London? If Black Adam is just getting started now, AQ2 should have plenty of production time to meet its Dec. 2022 release date.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Aside, rewatching the trailer for The Batman. Def the comic movie I'm most looking forward to. Maybe even the blockbuster. Still wild how dope the trailer is despite how little was shot at the time.
Batman and Moon Knight are my most anticipated projects.

Oscar Isaac vs Ethan Hawke? Sign me the hell up
Why does everyone forget Super Pets
Wait that's still happening?
I thought AQ2 is supposed to begin filming this summer in London? If Black Adam is just getting started now, AQ2 should have plenty of production time to meet its Dec. 2022 release date.
Possibly, but do we even know who's on board? Is Wan even confirmed? I don't even think there is a writer attached.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Batman and Moon Knight are my most anticipated projects.

Oscar Isaac vs Ethan Hawke? Sign me the hell up

I'm pretty glad that's gonna be a show. So far the Disney plus stuff has been more interesting than most of the movies. That they seem to care and spend time with the people. Which I think was a major strength of JL's length as well. And while I still think Daredevil is king, limiting these shows to a handful of episodes cuts down on the filler those Netflix shows had. And with crazy high budgets they aren't lacking in nearly blockbuster level action scenes.

It'll be interesting if the HBO Max stuff is similar. I'm enjoying Superman and Lois, but it's also got the typical C and D plots lines. They seem to save budget for Superman scenes by having a minute or so per episode. Stuff like that.

To me it's more that it's right after The Flash. Can't think of a time when even MCU had a movie five weeks after another.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I have no idea if the Batmobile movie was a real announcement, a joke from Teen Titans Go, if I somehow hit my head and made it up, or what.

I kinda want it to be real.

edit: thank goodness. I'm only mildly crazy.

deadline.com

‘Batwheels’: Warner Bros Animation Revs Up Preschool Series About DC Cars For Cartoon Network & HBO Max

Warner Bros Animation has greenlighted 'Batwheels! a new preschooler series featuring the most heroic and iconic vehicles from the DC Comics universe.

edit 2:

The Batwheels are sentient superpowered crime-fighting vehicles defending Gotham City alongside Batman, Robin, Batgirl and a host of DC superheroes. Having just been created by the Batcomputer, our heroes are essentially kids with little to no life experience. Led by Bam (The Batmobile), the Batwheels – Bibi (The Batgirl Cycle), Red (The Redbird), Jett (The Batwing) and Buff (The Bat Truck) – must navigate the growing pains of being a newly formed super team as well as the growing pains that come with just being a kid.

...what

The version I imagined was like a Cars deal. The Batmobile is literally Batman, and so on. So they exist alongside Batman and co. So Batman sits inside this sentient car to go fight crime. And the sentient car, named Bam, has the mind of a child. ok ok ok.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
While we're talking about animated stuff, a LEGO Batman Movie sequel or something for HBO Max would be nice. Maybe a full on LEGO Justice League.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
That's why I don't consider a DC movie to actually be real until I see production photos. Everything else is just a script sitting in someone's file cabinet.

The Flash is supposedly filming next month and Keaton's status is questionable. It's...yeah.

I didn't listen to it but Ray (Fisher) was talking about The Flash (movie) a bit. From what I gather, all he really said is every iteration of the movie, from the first director to this nineteenth director, had Cyborg as a supporting character. So It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. If Cyborg is recast or replaced with another character*. And he mentioned meeting Andy Muschietti way back when things were taking shape and wishes them the best on the movie. No ill will towards anyone involved in that project.

Not to group everyone together, because there are valid reasons to boycott anything, and frankly, boycotts are so minor in the scheme of things. But some of the more intense fans have been against The Flash. Be it for how Warners treated Ray. Or people who weirdly have the Snyder only mentality. I dunno. But Ray is not advocating for any of that. Obv in the past he's been super supportive of Doom Patrol's Cyborg, and likewise Joivan Wade has been supportive of JL's. The studio politics are just that. Yeah.

*Obviously not 1:1, but it could be interesting to use Ted Kord, assuming it's a science-y role. And possibly carry that into the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle movie. Can't think of who else could fit a Cyborg role without recasting.

Wait, I got it. You introduce Steel. But the alternate timeline, you bring back Shaq.

I totally forgot this movie references Batman and Robin.

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
I had to look and... oh boy :D
The Amazons
Batgirl
Blackhawk
Blue Beetle
Booster Gold
Gotham City Sirens
Green Lantern Corps
Harley Quinn vs. the Joke
Untitled The Joker film
Lobo
New Gods
Nightwing
Plastic Man
Static Shock
Supergirl
Untitled Superman film
The Trench
Wonder Woman 3
Zatanna

Neonzel

Hero of Bowerstone
Apr 30, 2018
Philadelphia
Damn, I had zero idea they were supposed to make a Booster Gold film. This company has announced so many films and I doubt many will ever see the light of day.

Also I saw this article earlier

www.bloomberg.com

‘Justice League’ Leads HBO Max to Top Gain in Streaming Sessions

AT&T Inc.’s HBO Max had the biggest increase in video streaming last week, as viewers flocked to its recut version of the superhero epic “Justice League.”