• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

boyifyoudont

Feb 10, 2018
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train releases on Blu-Ray & DVD in Japan June 16th.

EwhBXVIVkAMp0XO

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
TBH with how incredibly popular the series is I'm still a little shocked that they're dragging their feet as much as they are. I figured with COVID and whatnot a quick move to streaming was way more likely, but I guess the huge theatrical run in japan killed that.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Real talk that JP Blu-Ray will probably be consistently out of stock in the time it takes Aniplex America to release their own version.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Very pleasantly surprised it's coming out digital at all, considering it's Aniplex. Hopefully they put their other movies out digitally (especially Madoka Magica films which there's no legal way to watch in NA since the Blu Ray is out of print).

Glad we're getting the movie before S2 after all.
Johnson and Johnson better give me the hookup. I just checked and I'm elgible for the vaccine starting the 5th of April.

I want to see this in IMAX so bad
Same. Never imagined I'd get to see an anime movie in IMAX but I guess the success of Demon Slayer and there being fewer releases helps.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
(Old) Interview I just read with Yuichi Terao, Director of Photography (Compositing) at Ufotable
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Interview: Yuichi Terao, Chief of Ufotable's Digital Team

Learn how ufotable's stellar digital team blended 2D and 3D to create some of the most spectacular fights in anime history in Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel!

It's from 2018 but still really interesting considering how important the compositing (lighting, effects, bringing together the different elements like animation and backgrounds, etc.) is in the somewhat photorealistic visual identity of many Ufotable works and he's been in charge of that for most of their projects in recent years, including Demon Slayer.

Compositing is one of those things that anime fans don't talk about much yet it has a big impact on the perceived quality of something so it's nice to read about someone who does it.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
(Old) Interview I just read with Yuichi Terao, Director of Photography (Compositing) at Ufotable
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Interview: Yuichi Terao, Chief of Ufotable's Digital Team

Learn how ufotable's stellar digital team blended 2D and 3D to create some of the most spectacular fights in anime history in Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel!

It's from 2018 but still really interesting considering how important the compositing (lighting, effects, bringing together the different elements like animation and backgrounds, etc.) is in the somewhat photorealistic visual identity of many Ufotable works and he's been in charge of that for most of their projects in recent years, including Demon Slayer.

Compositing is one of those things that anime fans don't talk about much yet it has a big impact on the perceived quality of something so it's nice to read about someone who does it.

Compositing is definitely important when it comes to anime imo and it's actually something that not many people talk about. Lot's of people just focus on sakuga when composition is just as important. It can make anime go from looking bland to incredibly beautiful. Now don't get me wrong I enjoy my high quality fighting animation, but man is there more to it than that.

It's one of my issues with adaptions like Jujutsu and My Hero Academia especially after reading the source material. They have great animation when it comes to fights, but man can the background and lighting look off in the anime. It's definitely an issue I have with Mappa shows because some of them can have a really sterilized look. Thankfully at least with Bones it isn't the case with a lot of their adaptions because anime like Noragami or Mob psycho look great.

It's one of the biggest reasons why I appreciate KyoAni or CloverWorks anime.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Ugh, the only IMAX theater near where I live is Regal, and all of their theaters are closed for the time being

Hopefully they open up within the next month

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it shows in my IMAX. Probably won't get a vaccine until May here in Texas, but I'm close to an IMAX and the extra space will help me not be close to anyone. That and I have Monday and Tuesdays off, so I can always see it during normal work hours like I did the Broly movie.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Compositing is definitely important when it comes to anime imo and it's actually something that not many people talk about. Lot's of people just focus on sakuga when composition is just as important. It can make anime go from looking bland to incredibly beautiful. Now don't get me wrong I enjoy my high quality fighting animation, but man is there more to it than that.

It's one of my issues with adaptions like Jujutsu and My Hero Academia especially after reading the source material. They have great animation when it comes to fights, but man can the background and lighting look off in the anime. It's definitely an issue I have with Mappa shows because some of them can have a really sterilized look. Thankfully at least with Bones it isn't the case with a lot of their adaptions because anime like Noragami or Mob psycho look great.

It's one of the biggest reasons why I appreciate KyoAni or CloverWorks anime.
I've also found JJK compositing weird at times, especially in the arc that just ended. But yeah KyoAni anime compositing is excellent.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The only arc that I would be comfortable saying is definitely the worst arc is the last one, because the final fight dragged on and real being real, the poison was kind of a copout. But even that has quite a few things to recommend it, like the First Moon fight, or the climax of the Muzan fight with people crashing cars into him and shit.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
The only arc that I would be comfortable saying is definitely the worst arc is the last one, because the final fight dragged on and real being real, the poison was kind of a copout. But even that has quite a few things to recommend it, like the First Moon fight, or the climax of the Muzan fight with people crashing cars into him and shit.

See that's the thing even with the Muzan fight that arc basically gave us one of best battle shonen fights with UM1.

The teamwork, desperation, and just how straight-up bloody that fight was made it incredible. If all 4 demon slayers weren't at that fight it would have been a complete loss and even then they only won because UM1 basically gave up since he realized he was just a monstrosity.

I agree, but when it comes to the poison it was either that or Tanjiro getting a power-up out of nowhere so going with the former was better. Tbh the poison wasn't really the issue because Tamayo making something like that isn't farfetched because she's lived over 500 years and was by Muzan's side for a long time. She definitely studied him like crazy so coming up with a poison solution to go against him isn't crazy plus she had help with Shinobu who was a poison expert. The problem was Croc could have shunned some light on it a bit more before the fight. This is where the anime can definitely help add stuff to make it feel more complete. Showing Tamayo working with Shinobu or something can go a long way.