• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Movie Theater:
  • Screen is washed out.
  • Sound is always muffled.
  • Seats are randomly fucked-up.
  • Maybe have to sit beside a stranger.
  • People "discretely" checking their phones.
  • People talking.
  • People pointing at the screen and squealing when Loki appears.
  • Overpriced food that is also bad for you.
  • Going to the bathroom is a whole big deal.
Home:
  • Screen is okay.
  • Can turn on subtitles if the audio is poorly mixed.
  • Couch already has my ass-groove.
  • No strangers.
  • Cheap, healthy snacks.
  • Easy bathroom breaks.
I cannot wait for theaters to die.
You are missing out on the Loki squeals, though :c

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
lol, true IMAX is incomprehensibly better than any OLED ever made, what even is this post?

RE: Denis, he isn't wrong, he gets why a home release is both necessary and sub-optimal.

Are some people's OLEDs releasing fumes or something?

I'd love to see these mythical IMAX screens that project perfect black light on the screen and dark scenes that are not washed out. Maybe my viewing wasn't updated or maybe the projector was out of focus, but for the up charge it shouldn't be something I even have to worry about.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I dunno home screens are pretty good now. I think optimal theater is better than watching at home, but home watching has been catching up a ton. Besides a ton of movie viewing I've done in my life has been on home on way worse tvs than I have right now, I can't just watch whatever movie I want in a theater whenever I want to.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I mean both really.

Maybe I just have a smaller house than the average Era home theater enthusiast lol. The idea of a 65 to 80-inch screen on my wall sounds more overwhelming than an IMAX theater.

Quality is more inconsistent when it comes to streaming that's for sure, but I would put the best quality streams up against your average Cineplex.

If you're saying size matters, but 65 would be overwhelming, then what size do you think is equivalent in your space?

At 6-8ft away a 55-65 inch screen isn't much different than sitting in the middle of a standard theater... If using a 4k BR and a 5.1 the video and audio experience isn't much different really in my experience. I'm not talking about IMAX or Dolby cinema, just your run of the mill, standard digital theater.

I'll go to an IMAX movie like once a year, if that though, and yeah I probably will do it for Dune.

I agree 4k BR with the right screen and speakers is close enough and that's the argument I've been making more or less.

To be fair though, this is about Dune coming to HBO max. I've only used it on my 1080p PC monitor, so no idea what the quality tops out at, but guessing it falls short of BR.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see these mythical IMAX screens that project perfect black light on the screen and dark scenes that are not washed out. Maybe my viewing wasn't updated or maybe the projector was out of focus, but for the up charge it shouldn't be something I even have to worry about.
1. Maybe you weren't watching IMAX, there are screens branded as IMAX but are just standard screens
2. "OLED blacks" are meaningless in the face of IMAX film projected to an IMAX screen

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quality is more inconsistent when it comes to streaming that's for sure, but I would put the best quality streams up against your average Cineplex.

If you're saying size matters, but 65 would be overwhelming, then what size do you think is equivalent in your space?

I agree 4k BR with the right screen and speakers is close enough and that's the argument I've been making more or less.

To be fair though, this is about Dune coming to HBO max. I've only used it on my 1080p PC monitor, so no idea what the quality tops out at, but guessing it falls short of BR.

Right, that's why I kind of think the day one digital strategy isn't the best necessarily. Give it an exclusive one month run or so. Ideally also drop the 4k BR at the same time you release it to VOD/HBO max.

See also Freeguy doing surprisingly well with a theater only release.

I think then you'd maximize theater revenues, as by the 5th week itll be out of the top 10 anyway, and you'd also probably maximize 4k BR sales to home theater enthusiasts and you wouldn't hurt HBO max subs by having a timed delay.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I'd also like to say that one of my most memorable film-viewing experiences was watching The Fountain for the first time on my laptop with headphones.

It had jack shit to do with the viewing experience and everything to do with the film.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm at home I can
  • eat my own snacks
  • schedule exactly when I want to watch something
  • pause if needed
  • enjoy the comfort of my own space
  • nap or sleep right afterward
  • enjoy vices in the safety of my own space

Yea, even as someone who is still pretty mobile so I do not have a built home theater, I rather watch movies at home.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder the overlap in the Venn Diagram of people upset at the elitist "bathtub speedboat" line, and people who call well done steak a leather boot.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd also like to say that one of my most memorable film-viewing experiences was watching The Fountain for the first time on my laptop with headphones.

It had jack shit to do with the viewing experience and everything to do with the film.
To me this is what matters the most. The film is the biggest aspect of the experience, not the delivery format. As long as the film isn't like grainy with a bunch of artifacts and pauses every 5 seconds, I'm happy with my basic, untrue experience.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Maybe you weren't watching IMAX, there are screens branded as IMAX but are just standard screens
2. "OLED blacks" are meaningless in the face of IMAX film projected to an IMAX screen

Do they still have these weird IMAX branded screens? I know my local AMCs used to have them but they haven't been around in a while.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
4ft away from my giant 4K screen while getting incredibly stoned will do me just fine. I went out of my way to catch Dunkirk in the cinema Day 1 because of all the "only way to see it is in theaters!!!" hype, and enjoyed it much more under the former conditions.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
I will say after hearing how many people didn't like The Irishman after watching it in like 4 separate chunks I don't blame him for advocating for a format where the audience is more attentive for a movie like Dune.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be released on streaming but I see where he's coming from.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
i think its people exaggerating 1 or 2 bad experiences to justify their opinions. i couldnt tell you the last time i had someone on their phone or talking during a movie at a theater.
This thread is full of "Someone's experience is different than mine, so they must be lying or insecure."

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
The theater I used to go to got rid of morning viewings and their matinee is now over $10 a ticket when it was about $6 before the pandemic. They can straight go fuck themselves.
Crazy that this is a thing right? Im late to the party because Ive completely avoided my local AMC theaters since COVID started. Finally went to check movies times to go catch black widow on a random weekday morning, come to find out all morning times are gone and matinee prices have gone up in price with shows starting no earlier than 1-2pm for bigger movies…Dune will look just fine on my new 77inch OLED and little compressed atmos setup I got going lol. F that noise.

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

I have a 50-inch TV and I might upgrade to a 55, but anything bigger would seem pretty dominating for either my living room or separate rec room.

I'm a "sit in the back third of a theater" guy. If I put up an 80-inch tv in my living room, that experience I think would feel like sitting in the front third of a theater. But admittedly I don't have any bigger size tvs to try this out and play around with!

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 50-inch TV and I might upgrade to a 55, but anything bigger would seem pretty dominating for either my living room or separate rec room.

I'm a "sit in the back third of a theater" guy. If I put up an 80-inch tv in my living room, that experience I think would feel like sitting in the front third of a theater. But admittedly I don't have any bigger size tvs to try this out and play around with!

I had a 65" panny that I downgraded to a 55" B7.

Im hesitant to go back to a 65" because even as thin as they are these days they are a much bigger PITA to move around than a 55".

Like a 55" I can move around myself. 65" needs 2 people.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
not even Denis Villenevue has said theaters are the only way to watch movies. What he specifically said was about streaming on HBO max. And people are losing their ever loving minds about it.
beyond that im not really sure what the point is your making. But the word you're looking for is worse, not worst. for instance "theaters have gotten worse" and "actively have become a worse deal"
no offense i just can't stand when people say worst when they mean worse.
Are we really resorting to nitpicking people's grammar when many here don't speak English as a first language? You knew what he meant.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Probably somewhat true, but I will defenitely not be going to a movie theater to watch it, at least the first time.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
not even Denis Villenevue has said theaters are the only way to watch movies. What he specifically said was about streaming on HBO max. And people are losing their ever loving minds about it.
beyond that im not really sure what the point is your making. But the word you're looking for is worse, not worst. for instance "theaters have gotten worse" and "actively have become a worse deal"
no offense i just can't stand when people say worst when they mean worse.
The lack of self awareness of this post commenting on someone's grammar is astounding. This has to be trolling, right?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
More people have access to either an IMAX or Dolby screen than have an 85" OLED TV. I fucking guarantee it.
The point isn't "more" it's that many don't. And this post is so oddly aggressive. Some of ya'll are real hostile about people experiencing things differently than you and being on with the experience quality.

Oct 27, 2017
What IMAX theater do you usually attend? I'm fairly certain you've never actually seen a film shot using IMAX cameras and projected in true IMAX. OLED's are not even in the conversation.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
My primary hobby / money sink is my basement home theater, so I have a nice setup (JVC projector, 2.35 scope screen) with which to enjoy a movie like Dune at home.

However my hang up has always been streaming quality. When WW84 hit HBO Max back in December I watched it in my theater and was very disappointed by the video quality. The audio quality was a bit better but nothing to write home about. Fast forward to a few months ago with the release of Black Widow on Disney+ and it seems like these companies have taken a major step forward in their streaming presentations.

Both visual and audio quality for Black Widow were outstanding. Most impressive was the HDR which has been an issue on Disney+ streams in the past. When Suicide Squad hit HBO Max a few weeks ago I was worried it would have the same stream quality issues as WW84 but I was glad to be proven wrong. It too looked and sounded excellent in my theater.

If the streaming quality of Dune is on par with Suicide Squad then I don't have any reservations with experiencing it at home.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
How about give people a choice.
My feelings are even more relaxed than that. Give people a choice. Or don't and cut everyone off and do it the way you want. That's fine too, but if it's not viable and people don't want to do it that way, or the publishers don't see it as viable, then you have to change or be ok with less. Complaining about it isn't going to force people to behave a certain way.

I have no problem if a director made a movie that was only ever viewable in theaters. I also have no problem with people saying they won't go to see it then.

Also the speedboat thing is obviously hyperbolic. And a better analogy would be, "So many people are perfectly ok with their little motorboat on their lake by their house. But the only real way to experience the water is a more expensive speedboat rental. Anything less isn't real."

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Movie Theater:
  • Screen is washed out.
  • Sound is always muffled.
  • Seats are randomly fucked-up.
  • Maybe have to sit beside a stranger.
  • People "discretely" checking their phones.
  • People talking.
  • People pointing at the screen and squealing when Loki appears.
  • Overpriced food that is also bad for you.
  • Going to the bathroom is a whole big deal.
Home:
  • Screen is okay.
  • Can turn on subtitles if the audio is poorly mixed.
  • Couch already has my ass-groove.
  • No strangers.
  • Cheap, healthy snacks.
  • Easy bathroom breaks.
I cannot wait for theaters to die.

Expect your price of admission at home to triple if that happens. No one should want theaters to die. Alot of people are employed because of the money earned at the box office.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
You guys never check your phone during a movie? Never have partners/friends/family ask a question, or ask to pause, or get up at all? Never have kids screaming or pets barking or neighbors making noise outside?

It's not like my living room is a pit of chaos, but like, there are still distractions at home! There are still noises and people around and your phone buzzing. Unless you live alone in the middle of nowhere with your phone turned off the entire time.
All those happen in theaters. The difference is at home I can pause and not lose context.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The point isn't "more" it's that many don't. And this post is so oddly aggressive. Some of ya'll are real hostile about people experiencing things differently than you and being on with the experience quality.
This entire thread is full of home theater enthusiasts complaining because a director had the audacity to say there is an intended format for the movie he made. It's strange honestly,

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More people have access to either an IMAX or Dolby screen than have an 85" OLED TV. I fucking guarantee it.

You don't need an 85" OLED lol to have a good home cinema experience. Like sure if you have a giant theater room but most people don't have that.

They have a couch that's about 6-8 feet away from a 55" screen, which pretty well replicates the field of vision as if you were in the middle of a standard theater.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Will be watching it sitting 8' from a 65" 4k HDR screen, with a 5.1 system rattling my walls. I think I'll be ok.

My only concern is my stupid random speed internet (not supposed to be) and not being able to just DOWNLOAD the movie on my Series X, so that it is 100% HD the whole time without jumping around in resolution.

Edit** I have HBO Max, however, is there ANYTHING (legal) that would let me download and stream the movie?

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna watch this at my home, under the blankets, half-asleep, on my phone, with subtitles inside thick black bars, and at 1.5x speed.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
This entire thread is full of home theater enthusiasts complaining because a director had the audacity to say there is an intended format for the movie he made. It's strange honestly,
There's a lot of strange behavior on all sides of the spectrum here. People like you have been accusing people with home theaters of being insecure and unable to admit it's not as good instead of many just saying it's fine enough.

There's a lot of aggression and finger pointing in here and I honestly find it hilariously absurd.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
My primary hobby / money sink is my basement home theater, so I have a nice setup (JVC projector, 2.35 scope screen) with which to enjoy a movie like Dune at home.

However my hang up has always been streaming quality. When WW84 hit HBO Max back in December I watched it in my theater and was very disappointed by the video quality. The audio quality was a bit better but nothing to write home about. Fast forward to a few months ago with the release of Black Widow on Disney+ and it seems like these companies have taken a major step forward in their streaming presentations.

Both visual and audio quality for Black Widow were outstanding. Most impressive was the HDR which has been an issue on Disney+ streams in the past. When Suicide Squad hit HBO Max a few weeks ago I was worried it would have the same stream quality issues as WW84 but I was glad to be proven wrong. It too looked and sounded excellent in my theater.

If the streaming quality of Dune is on par with Suicide Squad then I don't have any reservations with experiencing it at home.
Disney Plus is one of the better streaming platforms for video quality.

I think I find Prime Video to be the worst offender. I rented Alien in 4K a couple months ago and it was a disaster of compression.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will be watching it sitting 8' from a 65" 4k HDR screen, with a 5.1 system rattling my walls. I think I'll be ok.

My only concern is my stupid random speed internet (not supposed to be) and not being able to just DOWNLOAD the movie on my Series X, so that it is 100% HD the whole time without jumping around in resolution.

Edit** I have HBO Max, however, is there ANYTHING (legal) that would let me download and stream the movie?

Do you have a laptop?

You can download HBO max titles and just plug in the laptop

Does HBO do like timed streaming availability for new stuff though? I forget. If so they may have it download locked. Like is it available for 30 days of streaming then they take it off for a while so people buy Blu-rays and then put it back on? Or once it's on there it's pretty much on there.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Disney and Apple are top tier streaming quality

Amazon needs to invest more into their platform, one of the largest companies in the world and they give us this shit.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Expect your price of admission at home to triple if that happens. No one should want theaters to die. Alot of people are employed because of the money earned at the box office.
While this is true and I don't want theaters to die, it is not the responsibility of any individual consumer to carry the burden of sustainability of a market.

I agree no one should WANT theaters to die. That's weird. I also don't think it's correct to guilt people with the repercussions if that version of consumption doesn't work for them.

Movies 3x more won't be viable either. Likely those movies just won't be made.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I'm pretty sure they are not actual home theater enthusiasts. I cannot fathom someone who genuinely cares about the qualify of film viewing outright trash Theaters when the whole point of a home theater enthusiasm is to try and mimic it as much as they are able to afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.