• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Capcom has released a Devil May Cry 5 update today adding Bloody Palace survival mode, but tucked inside was the removal of any of the lens flare that showed up in cutscenes where players could see any form of nudity for the female characters. Here is an example of the game being censored on the PS4.

The uncensored version is back again as seen in this video after installing the new update. You can now see full nudity at around 1:06 timestamp in the video, which happens during a cutscene in Mission 11. It is unknown how the other censored scenes are changed after this update since they also exhibited similar lens flare effect.

This new policy at Sony PlayStation that leads to stricter censorship rules for games released on their platform is fucking absurd for a game rated M!

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any confirmation that Sony is the responsible for the censorship being there? If it was, would Capcom be able to remove it in this patch?

Maybe it was Capcom misreading the market?

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
This new policy at Sony PlayStation that leads to stricter censorship rules for games released on their platform is fucking absurd for a game rated M!
Yep, it says something when DoA Xtreme is less censored on the switch, than on the PS4, and that game is rated for adults in Japan. It is just idiotic all around with Sony thinking they are above the CERO and all the other rating boards.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Why did people care about this though? It was stupid minor.
No one cared about this specifically, but with how minor it was, it was worrying to some to see Sony still seemingly make them censor it.

Nudity has far more uses than just fanservice, and a lot of people don't like the implication that Sony might limit that.

Plus then there are the people who actually do want their titty games left alone, which, you know, it's at least understandable why theyd be worried if this got hit.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
probably the right move considering how minor and insignificant this was, but also kinda silly to get all up in arms about it in the first place considering how minor and insignificant it was

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
probably the right move considering how minor and insignificant this was, but also kinda silly to get all up in arms about it in the first place considering how minor and insignificant it was
It is minor and insignificant. Which makes me ask, if they're censoring this, then what else could potentially not get a pass? From that point of view, I totally get the fuss people made about it.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Why did people care about this though? It was stupid minor.
Because of the recent trend of Sony forcing JP developers to censor their games. This wouldn't be such a big deal if it was just a first time, but we already got evidence and tweets that JP developers need to go through a second rating process after the Cero board or ESRB board. It is just uneeded, and also cruel to make the developers send all paperwork in english.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
They haven't removed anything. Nothing about this affected the game's story or gameplay in any way, shape or form.

It's a freaking butt for god's sake.

I disagree I believe seeing that booty was highly critical to understanding the games core themes

/s

I still find it funny in most of these situations the light bar makes the scenes look worse then they originally did unedited.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
This seems like someone at Capcom thought that seeing ass twice in a game would have been a bigger online deal than it was but no one cared.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You see her ass for about half a second. It was a strange thing to censor in the first place but also a strange thing to complain about censoring

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you can be cheeky about this and make fun of people for being worried about the games possibly getting censored on Sony platforms, but it was a stupid thing to do in the first place and I'm glad that the new updates goes back to PS4 version being the same as PC and X1.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
i think that's just paranoia
What? How? Censorship happens in video games, and having a buttcrack be censored is a pretty low bar to set. It stands to reason that everything above that bar could potentially be up for the same treatment. Nothing paranoid about that, just simple deduction.

At any rate though, what are we losing by that light flash not being there?

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
P much my take.

It's not that big of a deal for your overall experience, idk...
It's not like it's affecting any bit of content.
Honestly, it is in some cases, and while I don't care for the game DoA Xtreme is missing some features that were in the PS3 version and even the fucking switch version that was released on the same time.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I don't understand why it matters either way. Censoring it or not... it's such a small thing.
i think that's just paranoia
It's easy for a game to not pass this kind of censorship filter, and while big games can edit stuff to fit like in DMC5, smaller ones might just skip the system. It's as realistic as all the games that couldn't be ported to console X because of such regulations.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If it's such a small thing why they consored that?!
Here is my guess.
Capcom finished the game and the copy went gold. After it went gold capcom became worried about that scene and creating issues with sony, decided to patch it in the west.
This made fans angry, capcom contacted sony to see if they will approve the removal of the censorship, sony agreed, capcom reverted the scene.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did wonder why put nudity in your game when then you feel compelled to censor it yourself with an out of nowhere lens flare.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly?

I have bigger issues with the scene being in the game wether censored or not. Plotwise it doesn't make sense considering Nero went through the same thing yet was fully clothed. The girl's only reason being in the game for lewd fan service purposes is a huge downgrade from the past games. Should have given them bigger roles and made them playable.

Makes me glad Lucia never returned at this point.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
So her dark hole is no longer filled with light

What would you even put in the patch notes for something like that? Lol.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because of the recent trend of Sony forcing JP developers to censor their games. This wouldn't be such a big deal if it was just a first time, but we already got evidence and tweets that JP developers need to go through a second rating process after the Cero board or ESRB board. It is just uneeded, and also cruel to make the developers send all paperwork in english.
At the end of the day you have to accept the fact that this is Sony's platform and they can allow/forbid what they want. And if you don't like it, you have the freedom to leave the platform and play the games somewhere else.