• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
So I heard earlier it support switch local play for 2 switches, but I don't see any options on switch for that , anyone know any info?

Jun 26, 2021
It's playing like dog doo doo. Who is this game meant for? Like, after playing D3 for so many 100s if not thousands of hours I feel like I've stepped back in time through the dos box machine or something...

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It's playing like dog doo doo. Who is this game meant for? Like, after playing D3 for so many 100s if not thousands of hours I feel like I've stepped back in time through the dos box machine or something...
This is very different from D3. Expect to feel weak as shit early on and miss a lot of attacks. The game gets better with the right skills and gear. You really feel the power growth as opposed to D3 where you're unstoppable from the start.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Radament down! Early blizz sorc leveling is kinda rough, i'm just leveling lightning skills until i hit 24 to respec back to cold. Really looking forward to it.
Hmmm I'm almost tempted to do that. Or maybe I'll just mooch off trist/tomb runs.

I need to keep a respec for meteorb and one final respec for lightning though.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Bummer. Thats what I thought. I wish they somehow updated that part.
It's pretty fucking disappointing that the remaster's classic graphics look considerably worse than what you could accomplish in five minutes with the original game and a glide wrapper.

EDIT: You also have to enable the classic graphics every time you make a new game, and you still have to deal with the bizarrely long load times of the remaster

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

This is a game of a different time.

One of my favorite gaming memories was having 7 friends over at my apartment and playing a complete A1-A5 game via an all nighter with shitty Little Cesar's pizza and too much Dew.

The genre has evolved a ton over the years, but the pacing and moment to moment gameplay is what makes D2 a gem.

Jun 26, 2021
This is a game of a different time.

One of my favorite gaming memories was having 7 friends over at my apartment and playing a complete A1-A5 game via an all nighter with shitty Little Cesar's pizza and too much Dew.

The genre has evolved a ton over the years, but the pacing and moment to moment gameplay is what makes D2 a gem.

So it gets fun later?

I'm whacking little skeletons and rats with a broken dagger and missing half my shots. I've leveled like 5 times and still using my little whack a mole attack and a buff spell that apparently makes me swing faster or something, meanwhile, I lose endurance and have to walk like Bad Grandpa through the swamp marshes.
I'll tell you what, Little Caesar's pizza and Mountain Dew is definitely sounding like fun compared to this right about now.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So it gets fun later?

I'm whacking little skeletons and rats with a broken dagger and missing half my shots. I've leveled like 5 times and still using my little whack a mole attack and a buff spell that apparently makes me swing faster or something, meanwhile, I lose endurance and have to walk like Bad Grandpa through the swamp marshes.
I'll tell you what, Little Caesar's pizza and Mountain Dew is definitely sounding like fun compared to this right about now.

What class are you playing??

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
So it gets fun later?

😂😂😂😂😂😂

this post has me dying

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
God damn does this hit the spot for me. I'm currently playing as a shape-shifting Druid coming close to the end of Act 1. Completely washes the bad taste that D3 left in my mouth years ago. D3 was just so boring and you felt overpowered right out of the gate instead of feeling like someone who is just beginning a quest.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
I was going to start a blizzard sorc for my first character but I'll be damned if I don't suck at being able to afford enough mana potions right now. I saw someone else said it's a difficult class to start with so I need to switch to something less mana intensive. Barbarian? I'll look into the Hammerdin that I see talked about a lot too.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to start a blizzard sorc for my first character but I'll be damned if I don't suck at being able to afford enough mana potions right now. I saw someone else said it's a difficult class to start with so I need to switch to something less mana intensive. Barbarian? I'll look into the Hammerdin that I see talked about a lot too.
Sorc is definitely the best class to start with by a wide country mile. Yes, you're going to have a rough time for the first few levels, but no class comes even remotely close to the sorc at dealing with the later parts of the game with no gear.

Jun 26, 2021
What class are you playing??

I started with Necromancer, because that was my favorite class in D3. I proceeded to walk through the little Cave of Shadows or whatever it's called, holding down the A button to repeatedly mash rats in the face with my fist because my weapon broke, and summon my lone skeleton peon from his grave (I named him Otis) to do the same.

Since I wasn't unlocking any crazy skills or spells, I figured that this must be a melee focused game and restarted as a Paladin. I'm now hunting the league of shadows once more, this time a bit faster but without my buddy Otis. I think I'm playing wrong, bro's.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I started with Necromancer, because that was my favorite class in D3. I proceeded to walk through the little Cave of Shadows or whatever it's called, holding down the A button to repeatedly mash rats in the face with my fist because my weapon broke, and summon my lone skeleton peon from his grave (I named him Otis) to do the same.

Since I wasn't unlocking any crazy skills or spells, I figured that this must be a melee focused game and restarted as a Paladin. I'm now hunting the league of shadows once more, this time a bit faster but without my buddy Otis. I think I'm playing wrong, bro's.

I feel like we're getting trolled. You have skill points to assign to learn spells.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Sorc is gonna be rough til the mid 20's. Act 2 will be the hardest by far. Once you start leveling your signature spell (blizzard, frozen orb, chain lightning, fireball/meteor) and get some early runewords (look up Spirit) and early uniques things will go much smoother. Oh, look up the Insight runeword as soon as you get a 4 socket armor. Your mana troubles will be gone.

Once you get to Hell sorc has the easiest time farming due to teleport. Other classes need a fairly expensive runeword to accomplish the same.

Last edited:

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I love it all over again. I love the tightrope they have walked with staying faithful to the original while making it a modern feast for the eyes.

I'm trying to treat the "wtf this isn't anything like Diablo 3" posts as good faith but getting hard not to side-eye some of them.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
I have grief on a SP character. I will check in a minute, but I'll tell you that in my experience it appears that no LCS fixes are in.

EDIT: Yep. It still does not take the +400 into account.
Thank you for the confirmation. So they literally ported the engine part, leaving calculation bugs intact..
I'd assume some other damage bugs (ones including real damage delt to monsters) exist as well.

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
I grabbed it for nostalgia sake and fully expected to hate the combat from someone who adored D3 and obviously hasn't played D2 for many, many years. You know what though? It plays really well to be honest. Controller makes it miles better on PC also.

Excited to play some online.

Oct 27, 2017
The music and sound design is still top tier. Remastered it is fantastic.

Classic is SHOCKING. The power of nostalgia.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
played like half of act 1 earlier

some great nostalgia, feels just like how I remember it

i'm actually a little surprised just how well it holds up to be honest

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
finished Act 1 with summoner druid. It's alright, but having no nostalgia for it, it just feels ancient. it DOES do the summoner "the game plays itself" very well, which for me is key for summoners, so that's cool. The leveling feels really slow, im lvl 15 and it already seems like it's taking an eternity to level. Still, from what I've seen in videos about the endgame, it's not something I can see myself play much after finishing the story. I'll probably fuck around with another class instead (probably Necro since im a pet fanboy), and I still think its worth it for what I want out of it, but first impression has been very so-so.

also sidenote but the act 1 boss just MELTED my wolves, I could barely resummon them fast enouh, RIP mana pots

Last edited:

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Quick question. Why are there black borders on the side of my screen on ultrawide when I zoom in using the F key? It would have been much nicer to fade out the black bars on the sides when zooming in.

OP
OP
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Except Diablo 3 is still the poster child / case study for atrociously bad loot scaling. Exponentially scaling itemization is gross, and that's all there is with D3. Plus, the game's abilities are saddled with cooldowns.

Both what I'm doing and what I'm seeking are flawed, meaning D3 can be a great mindless action arcade experience, like Gauntlet Legends, but a huge letdown in the most important areas.

I guess. It isn't honestly that different. At the end of Diablo 3, you look for pieces with unique abilities, the scaling is honestly an afterthought because everything is going to have great stats and if they don't you just reroll them. Cooldowns is lol. I mean, sure? Id rather play a D3 Paladin any day of the week with all his cooldown as opposed to spamming only hammers or only smite or something on a D2 Paladin.

You say that D3 is a mindless arcade experience like playing D2 is XCOM or something. It is equally as mindless, probably even more so than most of the end game stuff in D3. I would have to get back to it in D2 to really tell but I remember running the same boss endlessly trying to find literally like 4 different items.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Fucked around a little in Act 1 and was immediately reminded why I love Diablo 2 so much more than Diablo 3. It's a vibe and it leans so much more favourably into my taste. Diablo 3 is just fundamentally different in so many ways, over the first two. It's its own beast.

In-game resolution scaler is awful though. Cleans up aliasing but oddly loses granule detail that sharpening doesn't seem to fix.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Dumb question. My gf and I were playing together and we couldn't use each other's town portals. Were we doing something wrong or is that just how it is?

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018

This game is a powerful nostalgia bomb for a lot of people, on the level of FF7R easily. It is very true to the source material, which makes its gameplay dated compared to modern games. However that nostalgia is a very potent driver. Almost all of my employees (mid 30s) bought and are playing purely because of their memories of the original.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
The audio in this remaster is a mess. Some examples:
  • The sound when you get amped almost never plays.
  • Sound effects play at random volumes and many things are rendered inaudible, especially if there's a lot going on. I think this is related to the amp issue above.
  • They've inexplicably added some "new" voice lines in places that are actually just voice lines for other things that have been repurposed. For example, the Amazon now makes act 1 mercenary noises sometimes. I'm not sure whether this is a bug or not, but if it's intentional it's not smart.
Thank you for the confirmation. So they literally ported the engine part, leaving calculation bugs intact..
I'd assume some other damage bugs (ones including real damage delt to monsters) exist as well.
It's going to take a very long time to compile the list of changes because there are lots of them, many of them are small, and as far as I can tell there's no official documentation. For example, I noticed that they partially fixed the infamous "working as intended" tomb viper damage. It's fixed for players and partially fixed for minions, but the glitch will still happen if a minion moves through two poison clouds at the same time (e.g. they will lose thousands of health in the span of a few seconds).

They've also introduced a bunch of new bugs. Telekinesis basically doesn't work properly at all, and I'm not sure how that managed to slip by them.

How's it look on a crt
It looks fine. However, I'm maybe not the best source on this because I think this remaster looks pretty ugly overall.

I will commend them for supporting fullscreen resolutions. It's becoming increasingly commonplace to force CRT users to letterbox, which I get to some extent given how few of us there are.

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
Using mouse and keyboard, I can only assign a skill to the left and right mouse button. So 2 skills total I can use at one time? Can I assign skills to other keyboard buttons or click somewhere to cast other skills?

Using the pc controller, I notice I can assign 6 skills to 6 different buttons.

Oct 27, 2017
Using mouse and keyboard, I can only assign a skill to the left and right mouse button. So 2 skills total I can use at one time? Can I assign skills to other keyboard buttons or click somewhere to cast other skills?

Using the pc controller, I notice I can assign 6 skills to 6 different buttons.

Looks like if you hover over the skill you can assign switching to it to the F1 to F8 keys. But still seems only can use left/right mouse click for 2 at a time.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I guess. It isn't honestly that different. At the end of Diablo 3, you look for pieces with unique abilities, the scaling is honestly an afterthought because everything is going to have great stats and if they don't you just reroll them.
Rare items are fucking *useless* in D3. Every good item is a set or unique that turns your character into Doctor Manhattan. And you're yada yada'ing past the whole stat scaling issue. It's beyond weird that the calculations for items and damage reach billions. Especially considering you're doing it to the same damn mobs you fight since Act 1, which I think is relevant since you seem to have an issue with people rerunning Baal 1,000 times. Like running a Copy Paste Rift is really any more innovative? There is simply no argument that can be possibly made to defend D3's itemization.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I find the remaster to look a bit off, it looks kind of soft and the colors are a bit too saturated for my taste, but then again this is Blizzard and that has ben their jam since WoW blew up.

The only bugs I've encountered so far are text ones, maybe there's some skills that are borked but I don't think there are any major bugs that would affect most casual - semi casual players.

People complaining about the dated gameplay, that what most people wanted out of this remaster, many people abhorred the abomination that D3 was because it's basically an arcade game, no builds, no interesting items at all, just some specs for very little variety.

I played the current D3 season and I was able to level up to 70 within hours solo. After 2 weeks I had literally everything I wanted for my character and had entire pages in my stash of these new D2-esque legendaries that were "supposed" to be rare, the game then just became incredibly mind numbing, running the same 5 procedural maps to get the same drops but with better rolled stats and with the utter garbage of personal loot, you can't even gear other characters.

D2 and D3 are clearly aimed at different audiences, do you want an arcade and feel like god on earth and obliterate everything on screen with 2 skills and not have to worry about stats, gear, skills, etc? D3 does an excellent job, it's a very simple game for mindless killing and it is fun. It kind of reminds me of Musou games.

Do you want something more lasting and rpg-esque with gear that you'll be looking for (and will have to trade for) months but once you get it opens up a lot of builds? D2 might be up your alley. But keep in mind that this is a 21 year old game, don't expect hand holding or modern QoL. You start off very weak and but at the end you end up destroying everything as opposed to you start destroying everything and end up destroying but faster.

The discussion about this I feel is the same as many other games, especially RPGs. You have classic RPGs where you had to read what NPCs where saying to know what to do next and had somewhat convoluted skills trees as opposed to modern games, where you can just skip everything and a huge arrow will be pointing where you have to go and do. Different strokes for different folks.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I thought shift clicking allocated 5 stat points. RIP my necromancer and 200 base strength.