• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

John Linneman and Rich Leadbetter sit down to discuss the improvements made to Ghost of Tsushima as the title transitions from PS4/PS4 Pro/PS5 Back Compat to a native PlayStation 5 game. Just how much of an improvement is the PS5-centric code - and what about the updates to combat and controller mechanics?

written article
www.eurogamer.net

Ghost of Tsushima's PS5 upgrade is worthwhile but not a game changer

When PlayStation 5 launched in November last year, two Sony first-party developers - Bend Studio and Sucker Punch - tap…

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Crazy they're charging for the upgrade. Just charge for the expansion. It doesn't seem like a huge upgrade from the BC version, let alone charging for it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I love when they offer sneak peeks into BC on PS5.

The saves transfer thing sounds promising.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Charging $10 more for this is still absurd

On top of that, what were previously pre-rendered video cinematics on PS4 are now generated in real-time on PS5, opening the door to proper lip-sync animations with the Japanese soundtrack. All cutscenes now run at a properly frame-paced 30 frames per second, which is interesting as the PS4 version running under backwards compatibility always ran the engine-driven cinematics at 60fps, with only the video sequences at 30fps. I assume Sucker Punch did this for consistency's sake, but I would have preferred to see the whole game play out at the faster frame-rate.

Cutscenes locked to 30fps? This seems odd

3PMfKeQ.png

Last edited:

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
If you ever think you're useless remember the High Framerate mode exists even though the 4K60 mode is flawless smh

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Upgrade is quite disappointing for being paid. Spider-Man Remastered had a ton of work put into it. Wish this at least had gotten some texture and draw distance improvements.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Shame they didn't do more but I'll gladly pay 10 extra due to the Dualsense implementation.

Oct 25, 2017
Is thereIs there any benefit to playing the PS4 version of the DC (on PS5) over the Ps5 version? The DF video makes it seem like the PS4 version of the DC won't work, but the PS5 store has that option available for some reason.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I love when they offer sneak peeks into BC on PS5.

The saves transfer thing sounds promising.
Yeah esp knowing sony is improving their SDK which pretty much just point to some of the early issues with versions and saves was more them prob running behind schedule

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Not even native 4k lol.
I hope ND are going to put more effort into the TLOU2 remaster (if they`re planing to do one).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
game is good. performance is good too. resolution is good. load times good.
tumblr_n8wmdiE8qG1rwg9p3o3_250.gif

That said, yeah this PS4 to PS5 upgrade shouldn't cost an extra $10, the $20 for the Director's Cut should've been the only upgrade path. I do hope Sony doesn't pull this shit again if they re-release Part II natively on PS5.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Really hoping they can patch in some AF improvements.

Hella suprised they would leave out something so basic for their next-gen version of the game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The LOD stuff not being any different is the biggest shame here. Seeing the distance that the grass load in and assets pop in to higher quality versions being the exact same on PS5 and PS4 seems like something that would've been nice to improve.

There are basically no discernable visual enhancements outside of the res boost from 1800p to 4k. All shadow qualities, draw distance, LODs, geometry, textures (outside of a few very minor exceptions) the same as running the PS4 Pro version.

You're paying for the DLC and the non-visual difference (load times, lip sync, etc). Helps that it's still totally gorgeous, obviously! Just a shame it didn't go a little further with any enhancements, especially because it's a rare paid upgrade.

mcUgIVH.jpg

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Finally 4K and still with rock solid 60FPS!

Load times are crazy as usual

Japanese lip synch, real-time cutscenes and that sweet Dualsense support, and I'm all in on the PS5 upgrade. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Pisstake that they're charging £9 for this

Spiderman remastered was a really nice upgrade, this is minimal

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The visual enhancements are disappointing but theres still a lot in the upgrade package. Haptics, load times down to virtually nothing, lip sync. Might not be worth it for everyone so I'm glad they separated it from the expansion.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of complaints about the upgrade cost - don't buy it if you don't want it.

The PS5 BC version is outstanding, as is. It was free.

The charge is optional.

At least the DLC isn't locked behind the PS5 Upgrade.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
IMO it is disappointing for being paid when you look at something like Hellblade or Metro Exodus... which are free and do a heck of a lot more.

I'm still baffled at Metro Exodus free enhanched edition to be honest. It's just too good to be free. Koch Media must be happy with the sales of the original version.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring
Ouch. $20 forced content for the opportunity to buy a $10 upgrade for pretty much a res boost. Sony gonna Sony...

Finally 4K and still with rock solid 60FPS!

Load times are crazy as usual

Japanese lip synch, real-time cutscenes and that sweet Dualsense support, and I'm all in on the PS5 upgrade. Can't wait for tomorrow!
Checkerboard 4k.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
tumblr_n8wmdiE8qG1rwg9p3o3_250.gif

That said, yeah this PS4 to PS5 upgrade shouldn't cost an extra $10, the $20 for the Director's Cut should've been the only upgrade path. I do hope Sony doesn't pull this shit again if they re-release Part II natively on PS5.
Yeah, agreed with you there. It's especially odd considering how much they gave us for free with the Legends mode

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
other companies have made more substantial upgrades entirely for free. We should expect more from Sony
There are reasons why they calculate these things for free, this is the same tired argument you all had with spiderman when you dont have to pay a dime if you dont want to. Vote with your wallets and go. You all continually degrade what a games worth is or what the effort is with zero idea on who was working in it, the price of the game, etc.

I get it not worth it to you. Its 10 bucks, and great news the PS4 version is more than competent.

Oct 25, 2017
So can you just buy the expansion? Not worth the extra 10 just for some haptics, unless they are really good in here.

I'll probably buy it outright because I'm building my digital library, but still, they need to put more effort in this stuff.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So can you just buy the expansion? Not worth the extra 10 just for some haptics, unless they are really good in here.

I'll probably buy it outright because I'm building my digital library, but still, they need to put more effort in this stuff.

Yeah. 20 for the expansion on PS4, 30 for the expansion plus PS5 upgrade.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say that what you get for a $10 upgrade is disappointing, but this is also the easiest 'vote with your wallet' ever. Don't like it, don't buy it, and you'll still have a pretty impressive PS4 BC+ game.

For me haptics, lipsync, 3D audio is worth it, plus I'm getting it on physical anyway (with a way too good trade-in deal).

Cross post from the other thread:

So, pure conjecture on my part, what if the 'Performance Mode' has been added to give an easy unlock above 60fps once VRR gets enabled.
Or perhaps it is more relevant in the Legends mode?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are reasons why they calculate these things for free, this is the same tired argument you all had with spiderman when you dont have to pay a dime if you dont want to. Vote with your wallets and go. You all continually degrade what a games worth is or what the effort is with zero idea on who was working in it, the price of the game, etc.

I get it not worth it to you. Its 10 bucks, and great news the PS4 version is more than competent.
I'll happily continue complaining when small devs can put out things for free that sony wants money for. I don't see any reason why you would even need to defend that.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Can't bloody wait. Had this on my shelf since Christmas as a gift lol. Waiting for that PS5 upgrade option to unlock.

Metro Cow

Nov 28, 2020
Something DF picked up is that they've added a Melee Alternative control scheme so you use R1 and R2 instead of Square and Triangle. That's a nice little QOL change for people who are maybe more used to Ubi or Fromsoft controls.

Edit: They've also added a lock on feature during combat which was sorely missing from the PS4 version.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'll happily continue complaining when small devs can put out things for free that sony wants money for. I don't see any reason why you would even need to defend that.
Small devs have to do it for various reasons esp when they can sell their game at full cost again for it, the sony games always drop in price in a month for two etc so like you all complaining about prices. and Ghosts gave a whole free raid mode and improved the PS4 version for free. I just dont see how you totally discredit all the other parts of this.