• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017

Base resolution appears to be 1920x2160 (twice as high as the Pro, using checkerboard to render at 4K). Overall, game is much sharper and crisper than the Pro's 1080p presentation. Some curious artifacts here and there. Good performance at 60fps.

They plan to do a full analysis come launch.

Last edited:

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
Probably not. But who cares? Its a great game either way that everyone should play.

Glory to NieR!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's what I counted from the screenshot, I wonder what DF was finding that was unusual about it?

Here are my references

zLg8jq5.jpg

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Considering the state of the PC version there wasn't a lot to expect. Solid framerate is the least they could do.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't help but feel that a 1440p version would have been preferable.
It would have stuck closer to 60, with a softer look sure, but without all those reconstruction artifacts.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How does 1920x2160 compare to 1440p? Played at 1440p on PC hooked up to my 4K TV and I'm half tempted to double dip on the X

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A nice bump in resolution, but not even close to a 4K game with only half as many pixels as 4K.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Twice the resolution of the pro. X is truelly a beast. It's so well designed.

Will re buy to support even though I platinumed on pro

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Could someone please try to explain how a resolution such as "1920x2160" works exactly, since isn't that essentially like bisecting a 4K image down the middle, top-to-bottom, and then stretching it width-wise? Wouldn't that lead to a very grimy looking image??

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So is this checkboard or another type of reconstruction, I always thought checkboard games pixel counted all the way to 4k. Also the performance on base xbox should be interesting, hopefully its at least on par with base ps4, minus the res, so at least more people can play the game. Dont want another bayonetta ps3 situation.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Great bump in IQ on the X. 60fps holding good too

Not at all. Worse than Pro in spots. If the beginning section gets hit this hard, I have little faith in the city area holding 60. Damn, I was really hoping to get a solid performing version of this game, but I guess one just doesn't exist, even on PC.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
How does 1920x2160 compare to 1440p? Played at 1440p on PC hooked up to my 4K TV and I'm half tempted to double dip on the X

It's about 15% higher than 1440p.
Youll be able to dowmsample that 4Kcb output to 1440p which will smooth out some of those artifacts

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
An IQ jump like that and solid-seeming 60 fps is a good result, especially considering the iffy results on the PC port. I'm happy to double-dip on something like this, but I'm glad to see the results given a once-over.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Honestly my favourite game of last year, but the performance on Pro was awful. It wasn't just the random stutters and slow-down, or the 1080p, but also the 90s-style pop-in too.

I doubt the X version will fix the pop-in but I hope it fixes the random stutters, and the higher resolution will be nice too.

I own it physically on PS4 but might sell that copy and get it digitally on X, looking forward to the DF analysis of the final game.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So in this case, it's only checkerboarding along the horizontal plane? Is that correct?

I'm not a game programmer or a rendering expert, but it looks like there are multiple techniques for checkboarding, if it's internal resolution is what it's been stated in this thread, it could alternate between frames and reconstruct it the way Wiki states. I'm sure someone more educated could answer you better, sorry :/.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
PC version runs a lot better with that fix automata patch for what it's worth.

Also, PS4 version runs notably better on a Pro than an OG PS4 too.

Oh I use the FAR mode, but the PC port still has issues. Grass pop in for one. It runs fine on my main machine, but that's to be expected.

Just in general, it's not a well supported or optimized game.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I use the FAR mode, but the PC port still has issues. Grass pop in for one. It runs fine on my main machine, but that's to be expected.

This I 100% agree on.

SE did a real shit job with supporting the PC version.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Turn off in-game MSAA. That causes the pop in when AO is turned on, but AO is pretty good and AA can be added afterwards by downsampling.

Although I will admit the MSAA implementation in NieR Automata is great.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Resolution appears to be 1920x2160 (twice as high as the Pro). Overall, game is much sharper and crisper than the Pro's 1080p presentation. Some curious artifacts here and there. Good performance at 60fps.

They plan to do a full analysis come launch.

Can't watch the video right now but going by other posts here it's checkerboard, calling it 1920x2160 is a bit misleading. At least mention it's using checkerboard rendering to get to 4K.