• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. So the Hulu October 2021 Schedule went online, but Disney+'s October 2021 schedule (as far as I'm aware, apologies if I missed something) did not. Which is odd, considering they usually both go up the same day.

So either the D+ October 2021 schedule is going up late, or it's being held off until tomorrow so it can coincide with a trailer drop. Muppets Haunted Mansion and Just Beyond still don't have trailers yet, so it's possible they planned for them to go up tomorrow and they're holding off for those.
Makes sense since they are the 2 big things for October.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
oh The Orville is on Disney+ now - never managed to see it as I think it was a sky atlantic exclusive in the UK and it never seemed to be on streaming services.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
E_VDxC4XEAEsgNS
Loving this cast of guests 🙌 can't wait for this show

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Going to apologize for double post, but I discovered something relevant. For those unaware (and asking why it isn't on D+), Doogie Howser M.D. has been on Hulu. It expires at the end of the month. I imagine it transfers to D+ next month. Makes way too much sense too with the new show airing.

My theory is the schedule was delayed because Disney didn't want to say when Shang-Chi goes to D+ until it got three weekends in theaters. My guess is we may need to expect a similar delay in November when Eternals is out.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Going to apologize for double post, but I discovered something relevant. For those unaware (and asking why it isn't on D+), Doogie Howser M.D. has been on Hulu. It expires at the end of the month. I imagine it transfers to D+ next month. Makes way too much sense too with the new show airing.

My theory is the schedule was delayed because Disney didn't want to say when Shang-Chi goes to D+ until it got three weekends in theaters. My guess is we may need to expect a similar delay in November when Eternals is out.
So next week? I assume it's gonna be a thing from here on out.

Oct 27, 2017

That's dumb on their part. They should just exclude it from the schedule then announce later.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they actually show the trailers if they're doing a livestream for Disney+ day and don't cut away like they do for the investor day.

Oct 31, 2017
The interesting thing is that Chapek confirmed it to be an annual event as some of us expected. Presumably other parts of the company like parks, merchandise, and theatrical releases will get the focus on D23 (which they might make it an annual thing) or Investors Day (which may replace D23 or more likely not come back).

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Considering part of the Star Wars event is about the past and legacy of Boba Fett, there will at least be a Book of Boba Fett trailer there. Wouldn't be surprised to see some new SW shows announced, too.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, so is the event exclusive to subscribers or is that just what's streaming that day?

Also seems like Hulu/ESPN+ will also get focus.

Oct 31, 2017
Considering part of the Star Wars event is about the past and legacy of Boba Fett, there will at least be a Book of Boba Fett trailer there. Wouldn't be surprised to see some new SW shows announced, too.

That's a given. There'll be a final trailer for Hawkeye too. Probably a sizzle reel of other Marvel shows already filming or in post (She Hulk, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, Secret Invasion). Same for SW (i.e. Andor and OWK). They may also get an individual trailer, but the focus will be on the ones releasing soon. Plenty of new shows/movies will be announced from all their studios as well (for the service, not theatrical).

If you remember after Investor's Day Disney stock jumped almost 10%. There's a reason Disney execs made this an annual thing.

Wait, so is the event exclusive to subscribers or is that just what's streaming that day?

Also seems like Hulu/ESPN+ will also get focus.

Yes. It'll be similar to the Investor's Day event. Probably 2-3 hours. Interesting that they are doing this over Disney+ though.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
That's a given. There'll be a final trailer for Hawkeye too. Probably a sizzle reel of other Marvel shows already filming or in post (She Hulk, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, Secret Invasion). Same for SW (i.e. Andor and OWK). They may also get an individual trailer, but the focus will be on the ones releasing soon. Plenty of new shows/movies will be announced from all their studios as well (for the service, not theatrical).

If you remember after Investor's Day Disney stock jumped almost 10%. There's a reason Disney execs made this an annual thing.

Yeah, Investor Day made waves. I imagine there will be some big stuff here.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019

Marvel Studios showed four full trailers on the last Investor Day though. Three of those were first trailers. Sure, this was the big launch of Marvel content on D+ 'after' Covid, but still... So, I'm hoping for quite a bit more than just a sizzle reel for the post-Hawkeye shows. First trailer for Ms. Marvel, and perhaps something more tease-y or bts-y for She-Hulk and Moon Knight. Perhaps also something for I Am Groot? Plus, like you said, announcements galore.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Wait, Shang-Chi's not on D+ until November!? Why did I think it was going to be mid-October all this time? Too damn long. :|

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Shang-Chi's not on D+ until November!? Why did I think it was going to be mid-October all this time? Too damn long. :|

You thought that because of the 45 day window. Disney pushed it to Investor Day 2.0 to beef up content for the big event day, with the added bonus of consumers being unable to predict when movies will regularly drop.

Unrelated, I just realized Frozen Fever is being added because the WDAS Shorts collection is leaving Netflix in October. That means Tangled Forever After should be on the way in the near future to D+ as well.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
You thought that because of the 45 day window. Disney pushed it to Investor Day 2.0 to beef up content for the big event day, with the added bonus of consumers being unable to predict when movies will regularly drop.

Unrelated, I just realized Frozen Fever is being added because the WDAS Shorts collection is leaving Netflix in October. That means Tangled Forever After should be on the way in the near future to D+ as well.
All the shorts are, they were in the Disney Shorts collection from 2014?

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
You're not the only one from how they phrased it. I guess really speaking they never said movies would be on Disney+ after 45 days, just that they would be exclusive to cinemas for 45 days - I'd imagine it would be available on digital store fronts and physical media after 45 days to make up for the extra 25 days between then and it's Disney+ launch.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
UK/Ireland Disney+ schedule went up. I'm hoping that means the US one will soon.

UK people are getting Logan next month because of Star+ content.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
UK/Ireland Disney+ schedule went up. I'm hoping that means the US one will soon.

UK people are getting Logan next month because of Star+ content.

Wonder what the chances are for Logan to hit Disney Plus in NA/USA.

It'll be weird seeing Logan on Hulu but the rest of the X-Men on Disney Plus

Speaking of which...still waiting for First Class.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what the chances are for Logan to hit Disney Plus in NA/USA.

It'll be weird seeing Logan on Hulu but the rest of the X-Men on Disney Plus

Speaking of which...still waiting for First Class.

I want to say not until Hulu merges with D+, but who knows. Technically parental controls are available for the US, so if they ever wanted to, they could add it as an exception to no R rated content along with Deadpool 1 & 2. But there might also be existing licensing deals in play too that Disney needs to wait out

Oct 31, 2017
Now imagine if you lived in France
u_u

Maybe a bit off topic, but the whole France thing is fascinating to me. And now some cable and broadcast channels are complaining there because they want an exclusivity window to show the movies too, even after the movie can finally go to streaming. Disney is supposedly thinking of bypassing the movie theater experience in France altogether to bypass this roadblock. That rumor has gotten the cinema industry there worried. I hope they can all come to a compromise.

I want to say not until Hulu merges with D+, but who knows. Technically parental controls are available for the US, so if they ever wanted to, they could add it as an exception to no R rated content along with Deadpool 1 & 2. But there might also be existing licensing deals in play too that Disney needs to wait out

Also a bit off topic but I don't see Hulu ever merging with Disney+. Disney is not gonna pay 10B to Comcast to just have Hulu as a 6th tile in the US. Hulu has a very healthy $13 ARPU and it's the number 1 MVPD platform with $70+ (maybe $80+) ARPU. Disney wasn't planning to have Hulu be profitable until after 2024 and it was profitable this quarter by complete accident. That's the reason they probably accelerated dumping all the Hotstar content on it (increasing expenses). That's also a big part of the reason Roberts and Comcast are so upset with them, because Disney is purposefully stifling Hulu's growth right now. Disney also can't bring Star to the US yet because both Star and Hulu are not yet mature enough with original content on their own. Doing such a move now would dilute the Hulu brand.

No insider info, but my guess is post pandemic, post CMCSA settlement Disney will bring Star to the US and Latin America as a sixth tile. The way to differentiate the two is to have Star producing its own originals and being home to Fox, Marvel, and other Disney owned mature content. Hulu produce its own originals and licensing 3rd party content (i.e. Sony, Lionsgate, A24, Universal (they still license post Peacock), etc). The originals will cross over and be available on both platforms, presumably after each season ends. FX on Hulu next day will be only on Hulu with the whole season made available on Star afterwards. Hulu will also be home to Live TV and having a low entry point streaming app that's ad supported. Disney has been resistant to add that to Disney+ and with good reason. You know what Disney would love more than one $15+ ARPU with 20%+ profit margins? Having two of them. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hulu model and brand expand overseas (like it was originally intended) post CMCSA settlement.

Again, just a guess and Chapek has said all these different strategies are teaching them a lot. He mentioned multiple times we are in the first inning of the first game of a very long season, so I expect a lot to happen in the streaming world in these coming years as it starts to take shape. They'll eventually find their long term footing. Even ESPN+ will get tiers and whatnot (as hinted by Iger before).

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

What are the chances of Hulu and D+ to merge anytime soon? I dont see that happening especially since Hotstar (a 75 mil+ sub service) is closing down and merging with Hulu - no way they will merge with D+ unless they beef up the price.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances of Hulu and D+ to merge anytime soon? I dont see that happening especially since Hotstar (a 75 mil+ sub service) is closing down and merging with Hulu - no way they will merge with D+ unless they beef up the price.
It's more likely Hulu gets rebranded as Star+ like in Latin America, or vice versa.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
What if...

I could actually make it through a single thirty-minute episode without the goddamn app crashing twice?

People talk about how much the HBO Max app sucks, but at least I can finish what I'm watching.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What if...

I could actually make it through a single thirty-minute episode without the goddamn app crashing twice?

People talk about how much the HBO Max app sucks, but at least I can finish what I'm watching.
What are you watching it on? I've had no problem on my iPhone or PS4 (wired).

Status
Not open for further replies.