• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Factions 2.0 get a PC release?

• Yes

Votes: 187 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 167 47.2%

• Total voters

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
maybe but the last of us has been out many years and still has no PC release. Certainly not day one.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Wouldn't they need to release TLOU 1 and 2 first?

Or we expecting a TLOU1+2+Factions 2 package on PC.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The multiplayer game?

God I hope not. I don't want to play again pc players with their settings all lowered, nvidia filters on, ultra widescreen, high fov. What's the point in camoflage is pc players are just going to negate it? And that's if they are legit and not playing with hacks installed.

Playing with Xbox friends on PlayStation is a joy. When PC is added to the mix, not so much if Warzone, Apex legends and now Destiny 2 is anything to go by. Literally ruins the experience.

Sonys (and Microsoft's, back in the 360 days) whole reason for clinging on to disallowing crossplay was to protect the experience of players, and you know what, they were right. You can allow it, but it has to be with another closed unexploited platform. Xbox is ideal, hell, even switch, but if PC wants access to our matchmaking pool it needs to change. Valve haven't solved cheating in Counterstike in 20 years. Developers shouldn't have to develop anti-cheat software suites (that ultimately don't work anyway) just to release a multiplayer game on the platform.

I'm not bothered by Sony deciding to release select single player pc ports by porting teams years after their original release , but I don't want their premier teams wasting time and getting bogged down with pc development quirks and specific issues. And if Warzone, Apex Legends and Destiny 2 are anything to go by, literally no one wants pc in the competitive matchmaking pool. And if it's a free to play game even more so.

Last edited:

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
If they want to make a big splash, PC day 1 would do wonders. Assuming the game is great which I have no doubts of.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Depends on the business model. If it is a free to play game i would bet on it being on release and wont even be surprised if they will get some studio to outsource a mobile version.
If it is paid then i think it will be post launch, but hard to say when.
www.dsogaming.com

Naughty Dog is hiring programmer that has experience with DX12, Vulkan & NVIDIA GPUs for The Last of Us 2

Naughty Dog is currently hiring a Graphics Programmer for The Last of Us 2 that has experience with DirectX 12 or Vulkan API, and with NVIDIA GPUs.

Yeah.
Regardless of what i said above, this article was always misleading. It was just asking for people with a deep experience in GPU technology, and a lot of those are experienced with open APIs rather than PlayStation's.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I don't think so honestly. Just because I don't know how it would play with them releasing a "Director's cut" of TLoU2 alongside it, which for me is very probable.

You launch Factions as a stand alone F2P? Kind of like Halo Infinite's MP?

It would make sense in a way, never thought of the possibility.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Of course no one knows for sure, but there's currently nothing that would suggest otherwise.

How many of the high-value users (whose main ecosystem is Playstation) would migrate to PC just because it's getting more games? This idea doesn't make any sense to me, as these people are investing in this ecosystem because they want to, not because they're forced to. I doubt many of these high-value costumers have the mentality of "I'd much rather play Fortnite, Call of Duty and FIFA on PC, but oh well, since God of War and The Last of Us arrive first on Playstation, I'll have to settle for a Playstation and ignore PC for the foreseeable future".

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence; are you suggesting they should invest in a new client on PC rather than using Steam?

Thanks to COVID, many households now either have a home PC or are thinking of getting one. It's really not a stretch to imagine that the complete loss of exclusives is one of the many factors that could nudge the casual PS console gamer to shift over or at least start questioning his choice of gaming platform. There's a reason why Sony emphasize so hard on exclusives as a strategy to retain PS users after all. And as PC Era loves to say, it's not that hard to transition over from console to PC these days. So the thought process is more like 'I can now play TLOU3 on my PC too? Hm perhaps I should just play that on Steam instead of upgrading to a PS5. FIFA XX and COD XX are there too, and I don't have to pay PS+ sub for online'.

And yes I do mean getting a client up or at least a smart platform play like Game Pass. If Sony's PC strategy stops at being a simple 3rd party publisher then they are investing in the wrong genres.

They're probably conducting or have already conducted such market research before taking the plunge, since they've done both single-player and multiplayer PC ports some time after their respective console release. As a matter of fact, Predator: Hunting Grounds was a day and date release on PC, so they do have some data to work with on that front.

PS Plus revenue is largely dependent on multiplatform games like Call of Duty and FIFA. Having said that, I do agree that a dedicated multiplayer game from a big name studio like Naughty Dog would be an opportunity for PS Plus growth, and putting the game on PC can potentially be detrimental in this case. By how much (if at all)? No one really knows. However, we do know that PS Plus is responsible for a huge share of PlayStation's annual revenue. Whatever they make from PC ports each year is likely quite insignificant in comparison.

Agreed on all counts except that Predator alone probably didn't provide enough data points (especially since it bombed). The bolded is why I think Sony will find a way to work PS+ into their PC strategy. Otherwise, they better start churning out GaaS like a proper 3rd party publisher before they get their lunch eaten.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The Playstation 5 still only costs $399 last time I checked.

Why does PC go from too expensive, niche, and a hassle to tinker with, to a threat to Sony's bottom line depending on who is framing the discussion? Either people have been sticking strictly to consoles for decades for very specific reasons or not. I seriously doubt the deciding factor is that Sony's exclusives are not on PC, as if day and date releases would see millions of console only gamers suddenly decide spending $1,000 USD and up just to build their system and learning from the ground up and dealing with the added obfuscation of PC gaming has been their endgame all along. The philosophies of starkly in contrast.

I can't believe you honesty think that. What is the point in owning a PS console? They sold 100M PS4s, and not because of no PC releases. We are willfully ignoring why people prefer console gaming or stick to it due to the low initial financial investment.

And, before we go there, yes a portion of the actual people who mainly game on PC would stop buying PS5s. But so what? It's not like the hardware is making desktop GPU levels of profit for them. If people are buying games and doing microtransactions, they are getting paid regardless.

This is logical.
Agreed. I had the same debate just a day prior. It's ridiculous to think there would be this massive shift if Sony decided to port its games. Many are still upset Bethesda games are not coming to PS5 even though they continue to be available on PC. Lots enjoy gaming on console for a multitude of reasons, some commented that they buy games like Kena for the PS5 but also have a PC.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks to COVID, many households now either have a home PC or are thinking of getting one. It's really not a stretch to imagine that the complete loss of exclusives is one of the many factors that could nudge the casual PS console gamer to shift over or at least start questioning his choice of gaming platform. There's a reason why Sony emphasize so hard on exclusives as a strategy to retain PS users after all. And as PC Era loves to say, it's not that hard to transition over from console to PC these days. So the thought process is more like 'I can now play TLOU3 on my PC too? Hm perhaps I should just play that on Steam instead of upgrading to a PS5. FIFA XX and COD XX are there too, and I don't have to pay PS+ sub for online'.

And yes I do mean getting a client up or at least a smart platform play like Game Pass. If Sony's PC strategy stops at being a simple 3rd party publisher then they are investing in the wrong genres.

Agreed on all counts except that Predator alone probably didn't provide enough data points (especially since it bombed). The bolded is why I think Sony will find a way to work PS+ into their PC strategy. Otherwise, they better start churning out GaaS like a proper 3rd party publisher before they get their lunch eaten.
Agreed, this is a dangerous game they are playing with existential risk.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Summary of Sony funded games on PC:

Not too convinced there's a consistent pattern than this: Sony sees that certain successful releases have exhausted their worth as PlayStation exclusives and decides these IP should be published on PC to increase profits, or they are asked by the studio if they can publish on PC and Sony okays.

I'm expecting the next PC releases to be ports of GoW in 2022 and Spider-Man in 2023 (in anticipation of the sequels) which is where I see Nixxes finding its way into the mix. As far as big day one releases from their internal studios, I think we're still a few years away from something that.
A few years away implies the that it is inevitably happening

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
It would be funny to see Sony releasing Faction or another of their big multiplayer title on PC at 60 euros and you don't have to pay PS Plus for playing online where on PS5 the game is gonna cost 80 euros and you will have to take the PS Plus to play online.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Eventually yes, but it'll be a few years (6 months at the earliest unless it's announced day and date with the PS5 version) from the PS5 release.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know what game that would be.
Depending on this and on how they are planning to support it a PC release may or may not make sense for them.

Deleted member 10119

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2021
It would be funny to see Sony releasing Faction or another of their big multiplayer title on PC at 60 euros and you don't have to pay PS Plus for playing online where on PS5 the game is gonna cost 80 euros and you will have to take the PS Plus to play online.
I'm just waiting for the meltdowns and surprised-pikachu faces from PC gamers when the first day and date releases start coming from PS studios and they are priced at $70.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for the meltdowns and surprised-pikachu faces from PC gamers when the first day and date releases start coming from PS studios and they are priced at $70.
You'll be able to get them at GMG for like 50 in that case and won't have to pay for online if they're MP. That said we already had MS price their games at 70 on Steam.

Deleted member 10119

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2021
You'll be able to get them at GMG for like 50 in that case and won't have to pay for online if they're MP. That said we already had MS price their games at 70 on Steam.
Sure, You and I know about that.

But the vast majority of PC gamers (the majority that these companies care about and make the bulk of their money off) won't look further than the Steam store and whatever is priced there.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, You and I know about that.

But the vast majority of PC gamers (the majority that these companies care about and make the bulk of their money off) won't look further than the Steam store and whatever is priced there.
That's fair. I don't think that you'll get general meltdowns over that anymore than what you did over Gears 5 being 70 euros on Steam. People on here are gonna be louder than the average person who is just gonna be like huh 70, ok whatever buying it anyway.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Agreed. I had the same debate just a day prior. It's ridiculous to think there would be this massive shift if Sony decided to port its games. Many are still upset Bethesda games are not coming to PS5 even though they continue to be available on PC. Lots enjoy gaming on console for a multitude of reasons, some commented that they buy games like Kena for the PS5 but also have a PC.
The Bethesda situation is a great point, thank you. We definitely have not seen the PlayStation fans of Era saying "welp, time to build a gaming PC", as they've instead said, "welp, time to swallow my pride and buy an Xbox."

If one of the most hardcore collective of enthusiasts isn't doing it, I'm pretty sure we can confidently say this speaks for the market at large.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Playing with Xbox friends on PlayStation is a joy. When PC is added to the mix, not so much if Warzone, Apex legends and now Destiny 2 is anything to go by. Literally ruins the experience.
Apex and Destiny 2 competitive are actually invite-only wrt PC and it's console-only crossplay by default, so that solves the issue. Warzone is a nightmare, though, I agree.

So the thought process is more like 'I can now play TLOU3 on my PC too? Hm perhaps I should just play that on Steam instead of upgrading to a PS5. FIFA XX and COD XX are there too, and I don't have to pay PS+ sub for online'.
Not only that, but the thought process likely also involves knowing that all Xbox first party titles are available on PC. They can either buy two consoles and pay for PS Plus and XBL Gold each year, or they can simply buy a PC, play both PS/Xbox first party games, and save money on games as well as subscriptions. As someone who primarily plays on console, I know I'd pick the latter.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I don't prefer playing on PC. I however won't waste money either.

I had to own a PC, the PS5 is entirely a luxury purchase. If I could play all PS games on PC day 1... then someone like me wouldn't need to buy a PS5. Not saying that's how everyone thinks or is. And yes, I tend to buy all my games on the PS5, mostly because I am mainly interested in the exclusives.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. You prefer playing on Playstation, yet you "have to own" a PC and you might have to switch over despite preferring Playstation?

It seems you're trying to set up yourself as an example while changing the logic behind your reasoning to fit someone else, but I don't see how that achieves anything.
I think it's quite a stretch to assume people are ready to embrace PC as their platform of choice just because they get one for school or work during the pandemic. Chances are it won't be up to par for gaming if you bought it for Zoom calls.

That's still completely besides the point, however. They have the ability to upgrade the relevant parts if they so desire, but that would require an interest in the first place, which is something you assume they suddenly have when they previously had interest in consoles. The logic falls short here, and I think you're disregarding the purpose and advantages of consoles a bit too quickly.
While it's a possibility for sure, I doubt it's something they'll venture into in the near future. It wouldn't make sense to do that now since they're still testing the waters and that means they need to reach out to the market to its fullest extent.

Not only that, but the last 10 years in this market hasn't exactly been an outstanding success for third party clients. Not even GOG or EGS are doing too good, with the latter having close to a billion dollar investment. I don't see it honestly, history has shown us that it isn't a great way to grow, especially so if you're only selling your own self-published titles.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Except GMG always has 20% off preorder incentives for PS Studio games so…Even if they were priced at $70, still going to be $56 with no tax day one lol

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it will see PC release, mostly because I think a PC release would be a disaster.

One, the game is likely still peer to peer. Which I don't think can hold its own as a standalone multiplayer offering, especially with a PC audience who I think have a tendency to care a lot more about network quality. In the leaked footage it looked like it was peer to peer (I think it stated that they were connecting to a host, who was a player).

Second, I don't think Naughtydog or Sony have any idea how to approach PC anti-cheat. So it would just be full of cheaters. Combined with the potential peer to peer scenario, which adds lots more potential for networking exploits, I honestly think playing it on PC would be a nightmare.

Third, I really don't think Naughtydog know how to design games for a PC competitive audience. The way folks play on PC would likely be outside of what they had imagined. Look at games like Apex Legends and how the game effectively gets broken by PC players (bunny hopping, re-directs, tap-strafing) and games like Chivalry which are packed with macro-able exploits. When designing a game for PC you have to make very specific considerations to the scope of how people will interact with the game, and I just don't think Naughtydog have the experience to succeed in that area with a project designed for the ground up on consoles.

The thing is that launching on PC opens them up to a huge potential risk of backlash that could harm the game, it's a big and unneccesary risk for the project, so I don't think they'll take it. With that said, opening up to a PC audience once they observe whether the game is successful on console could make sense.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. You prefer playing on Playstation, yet you "have to own" a PC and you might have to switch over despite preferring Playstation?

It seems you're trying to set up yourself as an example while changing the logic behind your reasoning to fit someone else, but I don't see how that achieves anything.
I primarily game on console. Prefer a controller and TV. But if you really want to you can do that with a PC too.

I have to own a PC simply meaning that it was work-related.

I did not say I would have to witch over...I am saying that all I am interested in is the PS exclusives. If I can get those on my PC that is more powerful than the PS5 on day 1... then why do I need to buy a PS console?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
If they don't want it to straight up die after a few months. I still think it is the dumbest idea. It just won't hit and stay

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Are we ignoring Predator: Hunting Grounds? That is very much a first party release.
Technically true but a game like that comes and goes and nobody really cares compared to a Naughty Dog game that will potentially break the internet for being on PC same day and date. Sony will eventually realise like MS that day and date PC release doesn't hurt console sales or subscriptions. The people switching platforms are largely insignificant to their bottomline.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Just a bunch of merch then? Or maybe something from the show?
I think we might get something for the show, maybe a teaser/Pascal's Joel . ND said there'll be some all new content, which could definitely just be merch, but they said it after announcing some merch early. I'm just not expecting their MP game.