• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
crawlsf.com

DoorDash Glitch Allows Customers to Place Orders Without Paying - CrawlSF

Due to an issue with the app, customers were able to order anything on the DoorDash App without being charged.

Due to an unfortunate glitch on the DoorDash App on Thursday night, customers were able to order an unlimited amount of food, alcohol and more without being charged

Saw my favorite restaurant get PELTED with orders last night cause of this. Apparently people could use virtual credit cards and shut them down in the midst of the charge delay to prevent a rebill later.

Social media was going WILD with the news.

View: https://twitter.com/prettiesttdeee/status/1545231866004996096?s=21&t=5jZomtzgRAk5Uuo9q_yUrA

View: https://twitter.com/itsjb23_/status/1545234526221254658?s=21&t=5jZomtzgRAk5Uuo9q_yUrA

View: https://twitter.com/perriongfx/status/1545231912872148992?s=21&t=5jZomtzgRAk5Uuo9q_yUrA

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Holy shit, I imagine they acted to quickly to shut this down once they figured out what was going on.

The sad part is will the small independent restaurants be the ones to take the hit on this?

edit: The article in the OP is stuck in a continuous crashing loop on my phone.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Restaurants finna be mad af and doordash finna be down bad.

Feel bad for the restaurants but DoorDash scummed me one too many times they can go to hell fr

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo...how many people were dumb enough to try and scam DoorDash out of thousands of dollars while giving them your name, address, and geo location?

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, that 2nd pic of bills. That is fraud and cops are gonna come to their address. They probably didn't even think that far ahead.

Oct 26, 2017
Did someone just receive that order of 90+ bottles of booze and go "yeah, seems legit, I'll just go pick this up"?

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully all the shops and restaurants got paid and it's Doordash who's taking the hit.
Yeah, DD deserves to take a hit over this, but I don't support the idea of people taking advantage of this because it could hurt small local businesses and it's just extremely wasteful to needlessly order a bunch of shit anyway (on top of the legal ramifications they will probably face).

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Has this happened before?

It reminds me of the early days of e-commerce in the late 90s / early 2000s, when companies were less savvy and things like price mistakes or tricks to exploit promotions were more prevalent. People would discover them, post on some forum or Usenet, then there would be a rush or orders until the company got wise.

One of the more famous examples that comes to mind was that Office Depot used to have these coupon codes for $X off your order, up to $200 or so, with no minimum purchase. However, the codes were either not long or not random enough, so someone wrote a program that you could use to discover codes. Then people placed a bunch of orders for stuff that worked out to being free after coupon.

The difference with this DoorDash case, is that cancelling your credit card after an order is obviously fraud. Not much room to argue that you thought it was legal.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
People wildin' out with some those orders they posted on social. Gotta feel for those dashers and restaurant workers for dealing with the bullshit in that 4 hour window. Hoping the smaller businesses and family owned restaurants still get paid, the corporate entities will be able to take a hit and keep on trucking regardless.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It reminds me of the early days of e-commerce in the late 90s / early 2000s, when companies were less savvy and things like price mistakes or tricks to exploit promotions were more prevalent. People would discover them, post on some forum or Usenet, then there would be a rush or orders until the company got wise.

One of the more famous examples that comes to mind was that Office Depot used to have these coupon codes for $X off your order, up to $200 or so, with no minimum purchase. However, the codes were either not long or not random enough, so someone wrote a program that you could use to discover codes. Then people placed a bunch of orders for stuff that worked out to being free after coupon.

The difference with this DoorDash case, is that cancelling your credit card after an order is obviously fraud. Not much room to argue that you thought it was legal.

I remember when FYE (music, games, etc) had a promotion on their site that gave you an extra gift card when you bought gift cards. The problem was that they forgot to cut off the ability to buy gift cards with gift cards. So, you could buy the initial gift cards, then turn around and buy more with those (receiving another free card), and then just repeat until you had….a ton of gift cards.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Lol doordash will just charge you the next time you use it.
At least that's what uber typically do

Oct 27, 2017
This seems more like it just screwed over those restaurants than DoorDash, unless they actually reimburse the restaurants...all DD lost is the small fees they get. Those places lost the vast majority of their stock and got absolutely nothing for it

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
ah yes great idea steal food commit fraud with your address and name attached lmao.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Doordash and Instacart are shockingly buggy for the cash they move around and their valuations. I end up picturing my bank's site if it were to calculate my accounts and taxes wrong, glitching the balance after I pay my credit card.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if Door Dash will blacklist the address used by these people during this glitch.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine how big of a piece of shit you need to be to try to take advantage of this in the way these people did.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Doordash used to sign restaurants up for delivery without consulting them first. This lead to poor food handling, bad reviews and angry phone calls. They also arbitrarily set up prices so it lead to hilarious situations like this one: https://www.readmargins.com/p/doordash-and-pizza-arbitrage

He was frustrated that customers were seeing incorrectly low prices. A pizza that he charged $24 for was listed as $16 by Doordash.

My first thought: I wondered if Doordash is artificially lowering prices for customer acquisition purposes.

My second thought: I knew Doordash scraped restaurant websites. After we discussed it more, it was clear that the way his menu was set up on his website, Doordash had mistakenly taken the price for a plain cheese pizza and applied it to a 'specialty' pizza with a bunch of toppings.

My third thought: Cue the Wall Street trader in me…..ARBITRAGE!!!!

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Im all for Shit Fil A and McDonalds getting swindled. Hopefully there wasnt a huge burden on smaller restaurants.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clear fraud here, so hope the people perpetrating it get what's coming to them, and the restaurants are fairly compensated.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Given what I've heard about their dev environment, I'm shocked there haven't been crazier bugs.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, the internet really made people stupid. They have your address (work and home), they have your debit/credit card. What do they think is going to happen?

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Lol. The outrage. I remember several threads here and the old place scamming Microsoft and gamestop out of thousands. Granted this is dumber from a personal perspective because your personal details are more closely tied to it. Morally it's the same.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
People posting their theft online always gets to me.

Depending on the price, though, they may not even pursue it. That tequila guy, however, is probably going to get smacked.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Are these people idiots? This isn't free food, they committed fraud.
Realistically speaking, could anyone get in trouble here or this is a wash?

Now the really crazy stuff like ordering 6k worth of alcohol...I dont think that wouldn't just fly under the radar. Could users be charged for those orders if the payment is still on file? What if payment type is removed from app?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Depending on the price, though, they may not even pursue it. That tequila guy, however, is probably going to get smacked.
Yea if you spend a couple of hundred, I don't think anybody will care. It's the guys going north of 5k that are def getting arrested.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Realistically speaking, could anyone get in trouble here or this is a wash?

Yes lol, it's literally fraud, they misrepresented that they were paying for item, and knowingly used their temp credit card to commit the fraud, all while leaving an immaculate paper trail for most people.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

This

Hard to argue that it wasn't an honest mistake and part of your normal routine if you ordered a $30 meal.

Ordering nearly $7k worth of liquor and $4k of baby products or whatever it was in that twitter thread - you're probably getting served papers.