• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
What a company. But never mind, im still deciding to either this or divinity 2

They have to block Spotify. I bet it is a requirement in their licensing contract to use DQ music.

At least you got a choice to pick a different game to play during that time.
I will continue with WoW for a few more months.
Really glad that I am enjoying WoW atm so I don't need to play DQ11 anytime soon until it is on sale and used.
The problem is that I want to buy PC so I can download a music replacement mod...but that would mean I have to support that racist composer.
Ughh, what a hard choice.
Support a racist or don't want my ears to bleed.

He has no imagination? almost nothing out there is like his style, dude is a genius, as for the clones what do you really want him to do? that's his style, just like all other artists, they make characters that look similar.

He doesn't.
Are you watching the new DB stuff?
LOL. Recolored everything.

And let's be honest, DQ11 MC is Trunks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I have it pre ordered for ps4, but I do want it on pc for the eventual music mod, kind of weird there has not been any specs out yet.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I've been really looking forward to this and pre-ordered it months ago, but there doesn't seem to be much hype. It's also cheaper than usual for a new game here in the UK.

Shame there's no Piggyback guide for this like they did for Dragon Quest VIII, I was hoping they or Future Press would release something. Just don't mention Prima...

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy DQ8 didn't get an HD PC/Current Gen release in the lead up to this game.

Yeah - especially since they're doubling down on VIII nostalgia with the protagonist's outfit being available at launch. That said it wouldn't be without its challenges considering just like XI the Japanese and international versions were already quite different even before the 3DS version was released.

Laie

Jul 20, 2018
Are they doing Japanese voiceovers to begin with? I played the PS4 version in Japanese and it didn't have any voice acting at all (except for the Pachislot machine), just dialogue blips.
Lol. There is no VA in the Japanese version.
It's been impiled by the producer that the switch version may have Japanese VA added, also at this point most of the main characters already got their own official voice actors in the mobile game Dragon Quest Rivals.

Shinzen

Jul 1, 2018
It's been impiled by the producer that the switch version may have Japanese VA added, also at this point most of the main characters already got their own official voice actors in the mobile game Dragon Quest Rivals.
Oh that's cool, no way I'm replaying this game though, I spent around 120+ hours on it.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just want the game now! D: The wait is getting more and more gruelling the closer the release is coming. I can't believe I actually managed to largely stay away from Japanese playthroughs (the first couple of hours I had to watch of course). I even have been able to stay away from spoilers. I'm always way too curious.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Game looks stunning I have it preordered waiting impatiently on my PS4.

My ONE issue is the music. I love DQ music but 11 gabe's abs 8,000 years later and it's all starting to meld together for me. None of that music stood out to me at all. It's also a crime that it's midi and in a game with these graphics it stands out like a sore thumb. Archaic sounding music just does not look like it gels with the feel of the rest of the game. I hope they use a new composer for future games.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Some of that voice acting is questionable. Seems they didn't splurge for good voice actors. Game looks nice though

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
New footage from gamescom is up

I think I've finally made peace with the music. I don't like that it's not the orchestrated version, but you know what, it strangely nostalgic (much like all the menu sounds). Can't wait to play the game. Can't wait to get sucked in and forget about the music. Can't wait to hear the orchestrated versions AFTER I've beaten it.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
seems crazy to me that there aren't even specs available for the PC version that's out in 12 days. I wonder how that version will end up being.

I also had a good laugh today when I went and looked at the preorder bonuses.

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks gorgeous. Honestly believe this is shaping up to be one of the best looking titles I've seen this gen. And I also believe it should age nicely thanks to the art style.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw Easy Allie did a preview after 10 hour he play it on review copy. And he seem to really like it, only he found the music that wasn't really fitting in one scene (Had the same reaction on JP version, but it's probably worse with voice acting). He did talk about difficulty too, he seem to found it difficulty just perfect (he play on normal) i've got to disagree on that one, i always felt that the bosses were dying too fast (on my 15 hours play btw, can't comment after that) and didn't really never felt i was in danger(hard mode better solve that problem :) ).

Any new gamescom info that came out today ?

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
Do we know if the motion blur will be finally fixed on the ps4 pro? My brother wants to buy the game and checked out my japanese copy and it never got fixed.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trawling across the net looking for updated impressions, but they're pretty much nonexistent until the embargo goes up next week. So, instead, I've been reading through some E3 impressions I didn't get around to before.

This one from RPGFan touched on something I was a tad curious about:

What I saw faithfully retained the series' vibrant spirit while carefully displaying its own personality throughout. I saw an arrogant (or perhaps just lazy) prince shirk guard duty, got scolded by a diminutive wizardess half my hero's age but twice as wise, and immediately fell for the flamboyant charms of a roaming circus performer. To be frank, that last point is one I had some anxiety about; Sylvano (called Sylvia in the Japanese version) is a male character who uses feminine pronouns in Japanese and behaves like something of a gay stereotype. I immediately flashed back to the portrayal of Makoto in the early Xbox 360 RPG Enchanted Arms, which twisted his femininity and goofy behavior into the butt of a joke. This doesn't seem to be the case for Sylvano. He certainly seems campy, but he's got more of a smooth operator vibe, playful and fun without being framed as creepy. This may seem like a small thing to fixate on, but after seeing how miserably gay people were portrayed in Persona 5, I would have been deeply sad to have yet another otherwise top-tier RPG mishandle a core aspect of my own identity.

Whew.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
So, I noticed that DQXI is the best selling videogame on amazon.fr, plus it's only 45 bucks.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've been trawling across the net looking for updated impressions, but they're pretty much nonexistent until the embargo goes up next week. So, instead, I've been reading through some E3 impressions I didn't get around to before.

This one from RPGFan touched on something I was a tad curious about:

Whew.

DQ11 really subverts gamers' expectations with Sylvano and Veronica. Probably my two favourite characters in the game.

Cannot wait to play the game in a language I actually fully understand XD

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I love everything about this game except for the music and by that I mean the actual compositions, not the fact that it's midi. It just sounds so fucking generic and boring. I hope there's an option to mute the music, but leave the sound effects and voice acting on. I'll probably just make a Final Fantasy playlist and listen to that while I play.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love me some synth, my issue with 11's is that the synth version of the tracks are missing the glue that holds the notes in them together that isn't missing in older DQ titles. I said it in other threads quite a bit but 11's songs sound like half assed conversions of the orchastra versions rather than the orchastra versions sounding like updated versions of the synth tracks

This is how I feel also. Half my time with DQ Builders was spent with the retro music playing, so I enjoy the older OSTs. However, this game reminds me of the pre-MP3 days of downloading MIDI of pop/rock songs. It isn't unbearable, but it certainly isn't good.

That said, I'll be waiting outside my local shop at 9am for this game, assuming they don't have a midnight opening.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great a shame asshole Sugiyama wants to get money from concerts so we don't get a proper orchestrated soundtrack to go with it .

There's no way to mod the orchestral version in a PS4 right? I'm pretty content with not giving him a dime for anything, much less for listening to tracks the way they should have sounded in-game to begin with.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way to mod the orchestral version in a PS4 right? I'm pretty content with not giving him a dime for anything, much less for listening to tracks the way they should have sounded in-game to begin with.

The way I see it Sugiyama has already been paid for his music so SE will lose out not Sugiyama. He doesn't care since most of the money is in Japan. SE can't do much about it and may decide to not release DQ XII in the West instead of changing music director.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I played Dragon Quest 8 with the voices off (which had pretty great VO work), and I will play Dragon Quest 11 in the same way. These games have such a delightfully retro feel that it just feels right to play with the voices removed.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I love everything about this game except for the music and by that I mean the actual compositions, not the fact that it's midi. It just sounds so fucking generic and boring. I hope there's an option to mute the music, but leave the sound effects and voice acting on. I'll probably just make a Final Fantasy playlist and listen to that while I play.

My biggest and really only concern about the game as well. I watched some previews and little snippets of playthroughs and already there the music felt extremely unpleasant, grating really. But, yes, you can fortunately tone it down or mute it entirely in the settings. I saw a German previewer tinker with that setting.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd release the system specs for the PC version already. I'm so stuck between PC for the possibility of modding in the orchestral version of the soundtrack or getting it on PS4 for simplicity's sake. The real issue is I'm sure that my computer's GPU is probably too weak to handle Unreal Engine 4 well at all. It's and AMD 6950, and although it handled Titanfall 1 pretty well, I'm almost certain that most AAA next gen titles are beyond it. I still have a pretty good CPU though (i5 2500k) and I've got 8GB DDR3 ram, so I was wondering if upgrading the GPU would be enough to get it to at least a PS4's power level.

One big issue with all this is, I honestly can't think of a game I'd want to play on PC besides this, Halo Infinite, and replaying Deus Ex Mankind Divided since I only played that on PS4 because although I played HR on PC I was sure my computer wouldn't be able to handle the sequel and I wasn't ready to upgrade.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
My biggest and really only concern about the game as well. I watched some previews and little snippets of playthroughs and already there the music felt extremely unpleasant, grating really. But, yes, you can fortunately tone it down or mute it entirely in the settings. I saw a German previewer tinker with that setting.

That's great to hear, thanks. It's a shame really, Dragon Quest XI will probably be one of the best rpgs of this generation and it deserves to have a great and memorable soundtrack. I hope they get rid of Sugiyama and hire someone who doesn't compose elevator music. I think Hitoshi Sakimoto would be a great fit.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's great to hear, thanks. It's a shame really, Dragon Quest XI will probably be one of the best rpgs of this generation and it deserves to have a great and memorable soundtrack. I hope they get rid of Sugiyama and hire someone who doesn't compose elevator music. I think Hitoshi Sakimoto would be a great fit.

It's such a shame really... Sugiyama, apart from his apparently awful character, did once make great soundtracks, it's just that he seems to have noticably regressed in that regard. Maybe it is the very high age. I just watched a playthrough of DQVIII and not just was I treated with a beautiful orchestra, but also by beautiful, memorable melodies. This is totally missing from what I heard of DQXI so far.