• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
"The recently published Sony patent for 'Ultra High-Speed Low-Latency Network Storage' reveals the ongoing work to enable streaming for PS5 games on PS Now. The patent is specifically about using multiple NVME drives (the kind of storage drive used in the PS5) networked together for the purpose of streaming games.

The system has multiple copies of the same content across different storage drives and might switch between different drives depending on their workload. A process that is vital for a streaming service with millions of users.

The system will also be able to keep track of specific data blocks on each of the drives which is essential for some PS5 exclusive games to function. Knowing where these blocks are and accessing them directly are a big part of why native PS5 games can load things in faster than PS4 games.

Seeing all these aspects covering the specific requirements for PS5 games indicates Sony is actively working on bringing PS5 games on PS Now, but it also shows some smart thinking for the future past the PS5."

www.dualshockers.com

PS5 Games on PS Now May Soon Be a Reality

Recently published Sony patent reveals upgrades to provide PS5 games on PS Now along with possible future-proofing for PS6 titles.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I'm "this" close to signing up for PSNow. Adding PS5 games might do it. Adding SSX would definitely do it. Why can't I stream that game on either PSNow or EA Play? Why is that game so special that they need to keep it in the archives?

Oct 27, 2017
Probably part of their game pass competitor. So many rumors of them adding Crunchyroll to plus, and Ryan said they had some GP like thing. My guess is maybe next year they announce $69.99 PS+ with PS Now and Crunchyroll combined

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think the most interesting thing about Sony's PSNow related patent-filing lately, is that it looks like Mark Cerny may have started working with PSNow/Gaikai people after his work on PS5. He's been attached to a number of 'psnow' patents in the last while, everything from streaming to multi-gpu rendering in cloud environments etc. Given he's been usually tied to whatever big technical project or next-gen platform Sony is working on next that might be notable - I guess in putting their 'top man' on it, Sony is at least hedging its bets that cloud gaming and even cloud-native games may be a much bigger part of the puzzle by the next console transition.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that you need a PS5 to remote play on your phone. If PS Now included PS5 games, it wouldn't give people a reason to buy a PS5 at all.

Spider-Man 2 won't be on PS Now day 1, and most people wont like being stuck with 1080p and potentially spotty performance so they will want to download the games. PS4 games showed up on PS Now a short while after PS4 launched.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
I think the most interesting thing about Sony's PSNow related patent-filing lately, is that it looks like Mark Cerny may have started working with PSNow/Gaikai people after his work on PS5. He's been attached to a number of 'psnow' patents in the last while, everything from streaming to multi-gpu rendering in cloud environments etc. Given he's been usually tied to whatever big technical project or next-gen platform Sony is working on next that might be notable - I guess in putting their 'top man' on it, Sony is at least hedging its bets that cloud gaming and even cloud-native games may be a much bigger part of the puzzle by the next console transition.
That'd be really smart of them, TBH, since that's where things seem to be headed, for better or worse.

Thanks for digging all this stuff, by the way!