• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they arrived at that number and what they know to support it. Seems like a pretty reasonable expectation though, and hopefully it translates to some more support for Switch.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, no duh. It's actually going to be a lot more than that with Fire Emblem, Pokemon and Smash around the holidays, potentially more titles as well.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I hope this leads to same day releases for third party multiplatform games. I would of got doom, wolvenstein 2 on switch on release if it had been possible, portability for me is a killer feature.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
So 13 million more in the next seven months.

Might happen, but it means that Nintendo really needs to get their game going and keep the pace.

Then again Nintendo still believes they sell 20 million units this fiscal year.

All in all the important thing here is the fact that EA might speculate a lot of things, but where the heck is my portable Madden?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
We'll see. 30 million seems like a rather conservative estimate to me. Though I myself find Nintendo's 37 million goal to be really ambitious, too. Maybe in the middle at 33-34 million.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Speculation in the other EA thread (combined PS4 + XB1 installed base) was that EA was excluding Japan from their estimates. That would account for the ~6m discrepancy between what ZhugeEx estimated for XB1 (35m) and what EA did (29m).

This estimate for Switch also seems low, but if it's true that they're excluding Japan from the estimate, it makes more sense. Nintendo is projecting 37m by the end of the fiscal year (March 2019) while EA is estimating 30m by the end of the calendar year. Japan would more than make up that difference.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. 30 million seems like a rather conservative estimate to me. Though I myself find Nintendo's 37 million goal to be really ambitious, too. Maybe in the middle at 33-34 million.
Over 30 million is not that conservative. Switch past fiscal year did ~15 million. Let's say Switch repeats that same amount. So we are probably looking close to 13 million by Dec 21st. Add that to the numbers Nintendo reported and that would be just over 30 million.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
are we talking an approximate of 34 million consoles in 2 fiscal years?

isn't that like...incredibly insane?

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So EA games when? Mass effect trilogy remastered please.

Seems silly of them to not release something besides fifa and fe.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speculation in the other EA thread (combined PS4 + XB1 installed base) was that EA was excluding Japan from their estimates. That would account for the ~6m discrepancy between what ZhugeEx estimated for XB1 (35m) and what EA did (29m).

This estimate for Switch also seems low, but if it's true that they're excluding Japan from the estimate, it makes more sense. Nintendo is projecting 37m by the end of the fiscal year (March 2019) while EA is estimating 30m by the end of the calendar year. Japan would more than make up that difference.

Xbox One hasn't even moved 100,000 units in Japan.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty doable that it'll happen. It's probably going to surpass the xone as well which is incredible for Nintendo and really bad for MS when a console with less time in market can do that.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Over 30 million is not that conservative. Switch past fiscal year did ~15 million. Let's say Switch repeats that same amount. So we are probably looking close to 13 million by Dec 21st. Add that to the numbers Nintendo reported and that would be just over 30 million.
Last number I saw was at 17.79 in 12 (13?) months.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thats more or less expected...the bigger question is if EA is gonna provide more than Fifa 19 for the system this year.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA's estimate was given as combined PS4+XB1. We have real numbers from Sony, so we can extrapolate that their estimate for XB1 is 29m. However, if they're not including Japan's PS4 sales, that would mean their combined estimate would be 6m lower than expected, meaning that XB1 worldwide is 6m higher.

Oh, I see. I thought you were saying they weren't accounting for six million sales of XB1 in Japan lol

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno man ... i would try to add Switch support for Frostbite, simply for being able to release the whole sports lineup on the system. Portable versions, that are day and date with the regular console version and which aren't gimped on the gameplay/content side are likely to do decent numbers for EA.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017

I'm pretty sure the deciding factor is when Pokemon comes out, and since EA probably doesn't know that, they're betting conservatively.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't count on that. It's not like X1's just gonna stop selling, it's still doing reasonably well in the US at least.

Maybe early 2020.

Early 2020 is the safest bet, yes.

But 2019 is a possibility. XB1 is a disaster outside of the US and UK. If Switch sells more next year than in 2018 (and it should), it could move 20+ million units in 2019 alone.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
30 millions is doable, but I don't see the Switch sales surpassing that mark, because honestly, it has no games. That's what Xbone a Switch have in common, so I see the Switch suprassing the Xbone sales by the end of 2019 because of that portability usp.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
30 millions is doable, but I don't see the Switch sales surpassing that mark, because honestly, it has no games. That's what Xbone a Switch have in common, so I see the Switch suprassing the Xbone sales by the end of 2019 because of that portability usp.

No Games

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't take these numbers as worldwide. There are like 5M~6M sales missing from every console. They're likely excluding Japan.