• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Thought this deserved it's own new thread for new details. Looks like the two modes are 30FPS with bad framepacing or ~45FPS on both consoles in the performance mode. No details as to whether it changes any other graphical details.

Here's another comparison but this time a visual one between base PS4 and Pro:

No mention of what modes these are captured in but you can see a huge resolution increase on the Pro. Going to assume this is the same as 0.2 and it's 900p vs 1080p but I don't think that would explain the similar performance.

Now I'm really concerned about how the X version runs. From pre-release footage it looked rather smooth with drops but it's hard to tell without playing it.

Edit: Looks like Pro might have less framepacing stutter in its 30FPS mode. Is a bit hard to discern because of the colours on the framerate graph.

Edit: Looks like the Pro is 1440p by default but will render at 1080p when forced in the OS. When doing this there is significantly better performance.

Edit: Framerate test of the X, looks like 10FPS better than Pro on average but still has lots of dips.

Last edited:

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
45fps doesnt sound so bad if its consistent. I wonder if ps4 pro will get a performance 60fps mode.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Oh fuck off with the bad framepacing. Why do devs do that?, no, why does Square do that? there's no worst framepaced game than FFXV and then they come with this on freaking Unreal engine 4? Please.

I will not reward them for their disregard of basic technical expectations.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Oof. KH3 is begging for a PC port. Is the framerate any better on the X?
I've seen people say it stays in the upper 50s more often than the Pro does, but I don't think there's been any actual analysis on it yet. Sounds like it is the better version in terms of performance to some degree though.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
People with the X should just get it on the X, stop messing around. It will clearly be the better experience.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Basically the worst outcome possible if you care about consistent performance. I hope the 1X version either has a mode that gets close to 60fps locked or a 30fps mode with good frame pacing.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
I think I read from someone that the pro runs at 1440p with the higher frame rate mode on, but they could've been wrong. Maybe this could be another last guardian situation where forcing 1080p in the PS4 Pro settings will stabilize/bump up the FPS more. Guess we'll have to wait till DF analyzes for a clear answer

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Glad I got it on the X. That's not the end of the world, but neither sound great.

TheManWhoSoldVG

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 30, 2018
Noruma:
tumblr_pkzh0eZ9zy1wn6jmm_500.gif

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
That's disappointing. Can't get stable performance after all that dev time, on Unreal 4? And what's the point of a locked mode if they didn't even fix the pacing?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Oh fuck off with the bad framepacing. Why do devs do that?, no, why does Square do that? there's no worst framepaced game than FFXV and then they come with this on freaking Unreal engine 4? Please.

I will not reward them for their disregard of basic technical expectations.

They actually fixed it in FFXV with the steady mode so it should be doable here as well.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll definitely be waiting for a good 6 months worth of patches before playing this. I've already waited over 10 years for this game, another six months isn't going to kill me

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Just unacceptable for a AAA game in 2019. I'm hoping the X version is a good experience, or else I may have to wait for a PC version that has a good chance of never coming... I'm not holding my breath, because while FFXV had poor framepacing on PS4, it had a whole other mess on Xbox. C'mon, Square...

LittleTokyo

Oct 30, 2017
Japanese companies don't care about this shit generally so why would this release be different? There are exceptions of course I'm well aware. Most of the country is only interested in phone games so why would they put so much effort for those of us in the US who put an emphasis on 4K tech?

Last edited:

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I played a little of the game today on a base PS4 and performance was disappointing, I was expecting this to at least be a consistent 30fps, already ended up scraping some footage I recorded due to the framepacing issues.

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
People with the X should just get it on the X, stop messing around. It will clearly be the better experience.
We literally just had the release of Ace Combat 7 a week ago than ran worse and looked identical to Pro at 1080p. Can't expect Japanese developed games to take advantage of the X unfortunately.
Don't trust, I'll wait for DF.
This is extremely ironic as Digital Foundry actually made the massive mistake that both PS4 and Pro of Kingdom Hearts 0.2 were 1080p when base PS4 was actually 900p. I mean most people can notice the difference between 900p and 1080p but DF missed it and never corrected it. Regardless framerate analysis are software based, so not sure what there isn't to trust here. There's not someone counting the frames.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
This is odd to hear after a bunch of people claimed it runs much smoother than 0.2. I think I'll just go with performance mode and hope the fps fluctuations aren't so frequent or drastic to be distracting, because if the locked fps mode runs anything like 0.2 did on standard PS4, it'll be awful.