• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Hitting stores today - Dragon Quest, God of War, Making of Horizon Zero Dawn, Time Extend - Viva Piñata.

Reviews

Ni No Kuni - 7
Into the Breach - 9
Kirby Star Allies - 7
Chuchel - 8
Metal Gear Survive - 5
Where The Water Tastes Like Wine - 5
Florence - 8
Moss -7

Last edited:

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
The variant cover looks even better

I thought it was secret of mana lol
r65pcZB.jpg

This month's Edge has a nice subscriber cover. I skimmed the write up but I don't think it mentions anything we didn't already know. Nice to see Dragon Quest on the cover though.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that NNK2 score seems fair and understandable. Might buy this issue for that review among other things.

Oct 27, 2017
Unless my version on iPad has glitched, yep. Did miss one - Florence got an 8. I've added it now.
Honestly, I believe you, the post i was talking about had a way out, sea of thieves, far cry 5, attack on titan, etc. Seems like one of those attention seeking posts.

Any info on the god of war preview? Positive, negative, mixed, etc?

OP
OP
gosublime

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I believe you, the post i was talking about had a way out, sea of thieves, far cry 5, attack on titan, etc. Seems like one of those attention seeking posts.

Any info on the god of war preview? Positive, negative, mixed, etc?

Was surprised they didn't have Sea of Thieves - very interested to see their reviews for it, as they tend to praise British developers and they've featured it a lot, but they also have the guts to be quite damning of games. Also, a review next month will be quite late, even for magazines...

God of War seems mixed - they seem to quite like the emotional side of the game and how Kratos deals with being a father, but the mechanics seem underwhelming. They mention how the son can be irritating in fights as he's not in the right place at times, an overuse of the axe and that the first boss is visually spectacular but automated.

It's only a couple of pages and that's from a quick skim.

Oct 27, 2017
Was surprised they didn't have Sea of Thieves - very interested to see their reviews for it, as they tend to praise British developers and they've featured it a lot, but they also have the guts to be quite damning of games. Also, a review next month will be quite late, even for magazines...

God of War seems mixed - they seem to quite like the emotional side of the game and how Kratos deals with being a father, but the mechanics seem underwhelming. They mention how the son can be irritating in fights as he's not in the right place at times, an overuse of the axe and that the first boss is visually spectacular but automated.

It's only a couple of pages and that's from a quick skim.
Thanks, I appreciate it. You mind if i quote your post on the preview thread, or would you rather I not?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The answer to Edge's question is no, but I sure appreciate that Squeenix keeps trying.

OP
OP
gosublime

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok, I'm only interested in single issues at the moment.

I found that myfavouritemagazines.co.uk ship outside the UK. If anyone know, how good is that website ?

I've used it before to get a special I missed when I was out the country. Went well but I was back in the U.K. when I got it, so unsure about shipping abroad.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
In regard to the question on the cover:
Considering Monster Hunter World has become a runaway success, anything is possible. Will Dragon Quest XI reach success like that? I would say probably not, but it might fare better than previous entries.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Monster Hunter World has become a runaway success, anything is possible. Will Dragon Quest XI reach success like that? I would say probably not, but it might fare better than previous entries.
Yeah, more the latter than the former.

DQ11 won't be a breakout hit, but it can do respectable numbers relative to the performance of the series prior to this one.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The cover just being a giant slime that looks like it got too close to the camera is actually the greatest cover they've ever had.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MHW had a lot of QoL enhancements made to break out to the casuals in the west, DQXI has none of that, it's another DQ game.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
FEATURES:

Promised Land
It's conquered Japan – now Dragon Quest XI is setting its sights on the west.

Super Play
The finest SNES ever made just launched. What does that mean for emulation?

Built For Speed
Devs and runners break down their speedgames to examine what makes them tick.

The Making Of…
How Killzone's maker left military shooting for open new world with Horizon Zero Dawn.

Studio Profile
Eclectic two-man studio Dakko Dakko is still daring to embrace the unconventional.

Time Extend
How Rare got its groove back by balancing the two sides of its history with Viva Pinata.

Yeah, more the latter than the former.

DQ11 won't be a breakout hit, but it can do respectable numbers relative to the performance of the series prior to this one.
The current mark to hit is right around a million copies. The good news is that for as controversial as the platform selection has gotten (to say the least!), they did pick the easiest path to success as far as those are concerned. Going against it, however, is having to combat both a general apathy to the series itself in the west, as well as releasing at what is looking like a very, very busy month for games, with Squenix's own Shadow of the Tomb Raider coming out 10 days later (and what will likely eat up most of Squenix's non-KH3 marketing budget for the rest of the year, to boot) as the tip of the iceberg. Needless to say, it's got a hell of a lot of work cut out for it

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

I think Persona 5 is probably pushing the limit of what a turn based anime rpg can sell in the west (without having the pokemon name attached to it), and that was with rave reviews and a fair amount of hype. I'll be happy just as long as it doesn't bomb

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the scores are correct. The Ubisoft feature about their AI work is quite interesting fwiw.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I just want it to sell atleast 2m units in the west

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think with the right marketing it will do Persona 5 level of sales in the West.
Add in Steam and then Switch next year(?) and they might reach NieR:Automata levels.