• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Background: I bought a new house last winter. Of course I didn't even check the lawn health.

20210508_122149.jpg

This is AFTER I applied Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed about two weeks ago. It was like a wild forest before with dandelions and other things all over. Even though they kinda died with the Weed and Feed, they are still intact. After this photo was taken, I rooted out the weeds individually so it doesn't like like a lawn from hell.

I do however need to fully kill them. I also need to fix the dry patches and densify the grass. I looked at Scott's Turf fertilizer but I am not sure how to apply it...do I remove the soil first then add it?

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having the same issue with a house we moved into back in December. No solutions yet but we're trying a few things. May end up calling a yard service company if we can't figure it out.

Oct 30, 2017
Might be worth getting in touch with some local landscape companies honestly. Problematic yards can be more hassle than they're worth. You'll be spending a bunch of money not knowing what to do.

Oct 25, 2017
Weed and feed is meant for early season before the weeds grow. I would either get the triple action stuff (kill, prevent and fertilize). Otherwise you can get some of the ready mixed Roundup for lawns spray, but make sure you test a small patch before going everywhere with it. Finally I would look at reseeding you lawn to even it out and get rid of the patches. You'll need to water regularly after the seeding though and apply fertilizer for new lawns (some of the blends will burn young grass).

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't offer any advice because my yard is just as bad, if not worse. I've debated just getting it sodded or something but I have 2 dogs who go nuts outside so I feel like that isn't going to do much either. I've tried growing new grass last season and it didn't hold through the winter

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Background: I bought a new house last winter. Of course I didn't even check the lawn health.

20210508_122149.jpg

This is AFTER I applied Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed about two weeks ago. It was like a wild forest before with dandelions and other things all over. Even though they kinda died with the Weed and Feed, they are still intact. After this photo was taken, I rooted out the weeds individually so it doesn't like like a lawn from hell.

I do however need to fully kill them. I also need to fix the dry patches and densify the grass. I looked at Scott's Turf fertilizer but I am not sure how to apply it...do I remove the soil first then add it?

It's not something you'll fix in a single season. Uproot the weeds. Over a couple years you'll have dramatically less dandelions/weeds but they will still come back.

Heavy rake the dry patches, put down some topsoil and grass seed, cover with a bit of hay, water frequently.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Same issue for about a year at my house. Grass won't grow anymore, overseeding didn't work, and I even had a lawn service try to restore it. I'm left now calling a landscaping service to lay out AstroTurf on my front and back yard or get it resodded

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In general you'll need to get rid of the weeds by manually removing them (make sure to get the roots) and to prevent weeds in the future you'll need to reseed the bare patches. If you have more weed than grass, sometimes it's better to just kill everything and start again.

I don't know where you live but generally the best times to seed are early spring or fall. Around this time is probably not a good time and you might as well wait until the fall season.

Lawn care is not a quick fix. It takes at least a year to establish.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
You might have to go into repair mode this year, then make sure to do careful winter prep this fall, and then a proper fresh start next spring.

To me it looks like it's in need to some manual work. I'd recommend doing plug aeration (you can rent a machine at a local store for probably $30-40). Also potentially dethatch as well.

The problem with weed and feed is that it doesn't allow for new grass to grow. You've got bare spots and weeds, so you'll have to choose which problem to tackle first.

After aeration I'd overseed, make sure to get a seed blend that will work well for your sun coverage and area (ryegrass will grow the fastest, if you're looking for quick results, bluegrass the slowest). Put down some organic or starter fertilizer. Then water every other day for two weeks. Buy a pump sprayer and concentrate weed killer (kills weeds not grass) and spot treat any weeds. This might get you to a decent spot this year, then you'll be in a better spot for next year.

If you really want it to look nice, you'll have to put in the effort.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Just know it's a process and not a quick fix. My plans go into next spring already. I'm trying to contain the broadleaf plantain, clover, and ground ivy in my yard now. House was a rental before so they let it go to hell.

Establish some type of winter plan then a spring plan with overseeding as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
You might have to go into repair mode this year, then make sure to do careful winter prep this fall, and then a proper fresh start next spring.

To me it looks like it's in need to some manual work. I'd recommend doing plug aeration (you can rent a machine at a local store for probably $30-40). Also potentially dethatch as well.

The problem with weed and feed is that it doesn't allow for new grass to grow. You've got bare spots and weeds, so you'll have to choose which problem to tackle first.

After aeration I'd overseed, make sure to get a seed blend that will work well for your sun coverage and area (ryegrass will grow the fastest, if you're looking for quick results, bluegrass the slowest). Put down some organic or starter fertilizer. Then water every other day for two weeks. Buy a pump sprayer and concentrate weed killer (kills weeds not grass) and spot treat any weeds. This might get you to a decent spot this year, then you'll be in a better spot for next year.

If you really want it to look nice, you'll have to put in the effort.
So if I have this right, first I would aerate the entire lawn, by renting something like this

lawn-aeration-for-spring.jpeg

Then after this is done, I should get a seed and fertilizer, and spray it all over the lawn. Then do I put organic soil on top of the seed as well? Is there a package out there that does all of it together? Then after this water the lawn.

Edit: also try to uproot remaining weeds

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Same here with my yard, bought the house last November. It isn't super bad but there are a lot of patches and weeds. I spent 2 hours picking and barely put a dent into them.

Called a local landscaping company and they can do aerating, now, fertilize and seed for like under $200? My friend's parents did theirs and they have a larger yard. Did a really good job apparently. Worth it since it's take me a long ass time myself.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm jealous of those desert lawns that people turn into just rocks, the weeds just don't stop

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on grass and removed it all and went xeriscaping. Best decision ever for my yard.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont recommend ever using TruGreen unless you want plastic signs left in your yard non-stop. Also, my yard looked worse after hiring. Hated it.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
From my wife's experience trying to replenish our lawn this past year:

1. Aerate and de-thatch.

2. Overseed the lawn and put new black soil in uneven spots or those bare spots. Soil first or after is up to you, as long as the grass seed isn't so buried as to be unable to grow. You can rake the soil lightly to mix it in if you put the seed after. Too exposed and birds will have a feast on your lawn.

3. Pluck weeds as best you can (they will come back but maybe not as many). Spray or pay a company to spray for you to fight against new weeds growing.

4. Fertilize regularly. Four times a year is recommended I think. That includes near winter shortly before the snow covers the grass. It helps the grass survive the winter. Made a huge difference for our lawn.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Fuck a lawn, they're not worth the time and resources. They're a waste of water. My lawn is nothing but weeds and dry patches. My neighbors hate me.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dethatch, aerate, overseed. For totally barespots I found the best thing that works for me is mixing seeds with new soil and sand and manually covering the bare spots. Then lots of pain in the ass watering, so hopefully you aren't in a dry area.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
So if I have this right, first I would aerate the entire lawn, by renting something like this

Then after this is done, I should get a seed and fertilizer, and spray it all over the lawn. Then do I put organic soil on top of the seed as well? Is there a package out there that does all of it together? Then after this water the lawn.

That's pretty much it.

You can do soil as well, but you'd need quite a bit and it's takes a long time to do.

Just keep regular watering after this is done, every other day, unless there's decent rain. Then you can reduce that to one or two times a week or as needed based on rain

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on grass and removed it all and went xeriscaping. Best decision ever for my yard.
I second this, OP. Decided to go with a native plant garden. Looks infinitely more interesting, especially with all the bee, humming bird, and lizard activity. The lowered monthly water bill is icing on the cake.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda related but can anyone recommend bug spray to keep bugs out of the house that is safe with cats? Our cats tend to eat the bugs sometimes.
Or am I better off calling Orkin or someone?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am lazy and I basically just get TruGreen or a local company (whoever gives me a better deal) to come every other year. Our lawn looks decent as a result. Have a Honda mower and get blades sharpened every 2 years. Generally don't cut it too short and at least once a week and more if it rains.

The best lawns in my neighborhood are from people who spend all day outside on their own lawns. Their lawns look like golf courses but I don't want to spend that much time on my lawn.

Me and my wife do take turns pulling weeds around the house. Weeds suck but they are kind of amazing in how resilient they are. No matter what you do they keep coming back.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Hire a professional if you can, it'[s so much work to upkeep and get it to where you want it to be, I did that last month (not with the grass, that's next year but with edging and mulch and cleanup) and it was so worth it
Kinda related but can anyone recommend bug spray to keep bugs out of the house that is safe with cats? Our cats tend to eat the bugs sometimes.
Or am I better off calling Orkin or someone?
Make a perimeter at any problem areas with Diatomaceous Earth

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Probably lack of water, but it's up to you if you want to address it.

Takes time, a good start for dandylions is a sprayable weed killer in the pump bottle, you buy it undiluted and add water, walk around your yard and spray those on contact. The weed killer you used does look like it's working, but the spray shit on contact really works. Overseed in the fall, and water in the spring if you want to promote grass and not weeds. It's a tough ball game in direct sun like that with dry earth.,.. and just depends on how much water (if any) you want to spend on that area of your lawn. I refuse to pay for water to water my lawn, so I have 2 rain barrels in the back yard and they do a decent enough job on the dryest parts of my lawn, which are on a slight hill in direct sun about 70% of the day. It's not thick turf, but it's green and a mix of grasses, clover, some ground coverage, and some flowery weeds (The purple ones in early spring). It's good enough for me.

FOr that spot, when you turn the soil or agitate it (you can try an aerator too, not a powered one, there's manual ones that cost like $15, they dig up plugs of earth and let water, oxygen, nitrogen, seeds, fertilizer into the lawn), and then over-seed with sunny grass mixture, you could try putting some peat moss down on it and mixed into the soil. you can buy bags of peat moss for basically nothing at the hardware store. When you plant grass, toss some peat moss onto your soil with the seed, water it, and lay some peat moss down on it it'll keep it cool and moist, protect the young grass... You just want a thin layer, not clumps, loosely hand tossed on top of it. Peat moss costs next to nothing, 1 large bag can do most good sized yards esp if you're just doing patches.

I have the opposite problem on another part of my lawn, basically no direct sun at all, and so that's pretty heavy moss. I dug up the moss this year, turned over the soil, spread lime down, over-seeded with shadey grasses (Jonathan THumb brand, reasonable priced at most hardware stores in the US), and it's actually taken this year. Still young but started growing a good amount of grass int hat area. Watered it lightly, daily, for about 3 weeks. and now I'm letting nature do it's watering from here on out. Lime increases the PH of your lawn which helps slowly reduce moss. It doesn't kill the moss, but it makes an environment that moss doesn't like to grow in and grass does.

Lime
Peat Moss
Seed
Water
Nitrogen

All cheap, DIY shit that should improve most lawns... you won't have one of those PERFECT GREEN catalog lawns, but it helps and takes almost no effort.

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I pay a lawn service. It's not cheap, but it works. I tried to do it myself once, but the cost and effort wasn't worth it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

FYI if you've got a smaller yard, you don't need to rent a gas powered aerator. You can get a hand aerator and it'll take about 2 hours to do your whole lawn let's say it's like 1/4 acre, which isn't even that bad. OVer the course of a week when I had my dog outside I'd pace the yard doing the hand aeration with a hand tool.

www.homedepot.com

Corona MAX YardBREATHER Aerator with Auto-Eject 3.5 in. Soil Plugs LG13605 - The Home Depot

Aerator designed to automatically eject 3.5 in. L soil plugs with each step. Slip-resistant traction grooves on the footplate add safety and stability. Heat-treated steel on footplate and spikes for lasting

$20-$25. You can spend like $35 on one with 4 plugs in it, or $80 on one with wheels thats easier to do a whole property. I have like 1/3 acre or so and the $25 one was fine enough for me.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017

Have some fun with it. Try some of these.
s-l400.jpg

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Note for people with St. Augustine grass - aerate is fine but do not scarf or similar. Milagranite and scalp if need be. And keep that shit long like 4 inches.

Edit: Also, for st. Aug, do not use weed and feed! You will kill your grass.

Zeshakag

Oct 28, 2017
I pay a lawn service. It's not cheap, but it works. I tried to do it myself once, but the cost and effort wasn't worth it.

Yeah, when I was living with my mom I tried to get her lawn right for years, playing the game of year by year calibration.

IMO, you will see guaranteed progress, MUCH faster, if you just pay a company to completely tear it out, re-level and reseed. Starting with an actually good lawn makes weeding infinitely easier.

TRV

Nov 27, 2020
The Netherlands
Alternatively, you could sow a (native) wildflower mix and not care too much about your lawn not looking exactly like everyone else's. Something to consider, as it much less effort and therefore better for your mental health as well as healthier for insects, birds, butterflies etc :)

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
At times I'm glad that I have too much tree cover to have any hope of a really good lawn. I trim the grass and weeds that grow but that's pretty much it. Used to spray for weeds and insects, but have abandoned that for environmental reasons (doesn't hurt that I'm also lazy).

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
FYI if you've got a smaller yard, you don't need to rent a gas powered aerator. You can get a hand aerator and it'll take about 2 hours to do your whole lawn let's say it's like 1/4 acre, which isn't even that bad. OVer the course of a week when I had my dog outside I'd pace the yard doing the hand aeration with a hand tool.

www.homedepot.com

Corona MAX YardBREATHER Aerator with Auto-Eject 3.5 in. Soil Plugs LG13605 - The Home Depot

Aerator designed to automatically eject 3.5 in. L soil plugs with each step. Slip-resistant traction grooves on the footplate add safety and stability. Heat-treated steel on footplate and spikes for lasting

$20-$25. You can spend like $35 on one with 4 plugs in it, or $80 on one with wheels thats easier to do a whole property. I have like 1/3 acre or so and the $25 one was fine enough for me.
I'm definitely on the side of renting a gas unit. I've only got a 1/4 acre yard, but with all the manual work I do on it, I'll definitely go with a powered unit to give myself a break. My local rental shop charges $30 for 2 hours, which is good for me and a neighbor to do our yards, so it comes to $15 per year.

s-l400.jpg
Unfortunately, these don't really work. I used to have them. It's not nearly as much fun as you'd think it'd be.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
s-l400.jpg

Those miss the coring part of aeration, wouldn't help when it comes to improving compaction. Pulling out those plugs lets everything else expand. These solid spikes would make their holes by compressing everything else.

We have heavy clay soil here so I modified a hand aerator, just removed one of the prongs and cut the tip of another at an angle so it starts cutting on an edge, and it's a lot easier. Still a lot of work.

The rental machines seem pretty ineffective in comparison, only pulling maybe 1" long narrow plugs.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I find this thread to be pretty surreal as someone who is not from the US. People where I grew up just cut it short and left it at that. Though in fairness the whole country is basically a giant river basin. It would be strange to see grass that wasn't green.

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly if you have the money it's best to hire a lawn care company that can help you get started. Once your lawn is where you want it and you've learned what works for your yard, you can try it by yourself. It's what worked for me anyway.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely on the side of renting a gas unit. I've only got a 1/4 acre yard, but with all the manual work I do on it, I'll definitely go with a powered unit to give myself a break. My local rental shop charges $30 for 2 hours, which is good for me and a neighbor to do our yards, so it comes to $15 per year.

Unfortunately, these don't really work. I used to have them. It's not nearly as much fun as you'd think it'd be.

Yeah if you split it with a neighbor that's well worth the price.

Those spike shoes really do nothing but they look badass

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
All y'all saying to spray, but please be considerate spraying your yards against weeds. For all the environmental cautions this forum supports, people seem to not give a shit about the implications of spraying herbicides.

Get a podcast, a small shovel and hand remove the weeds if possible, preemergent in the spring, water well, reseed, etc.

But if you care about the bees, the birds, the water, etc please reconsider spraying.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Like others have said in here stay away from Trugreen. My previous house had a lawn they serviced and it turned into absolute shit. Then they wanted more money to fix the mess, its a good racket honestly.

So then I sold and downsized into a townhome where I don't have a lawn. Or a pool. Two headaches out of my life and a bit more money in the bank account