• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Depends on where you live.

In central Texas the trick is:
Weed and feed twice in spring (Feb, April), once in October, irrigation system for summer months, ortho home defense about 3x per year or chinch bugs will annihilate your yard literally, and plant shade grass like tall fescue on yard sides and shadey areas and Bermuda with full sun.

Oct 27, 2017
Rewild that shit, save the bees.

Seriously that lawn is perfect for some wild flower mix. Great for pollinators.

fuck mowing the lawn, waste of time.

Get a raised bed and grow some veg.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
My lawn has been half taken over by creeping charlie. Unfortunately, any herbicide that can deal with it is banned in Ontario. So I'm pretty much screwed unless I want to rip everything up and lay new sod down.

I'll probably just live with it.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Kinda related but can anyone recommend bug spray to keep bugs out of the house that is safe with cats? Our cats tend to eat the bugs sometimes.
Or am I better off calling Orkin or someone?

Borax powder and Diatomaceous Earth

But they are not quick fox will take 2-4 week to see result

Also good idea to put them inside cupboard and inside dark place that bug can come in feom

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Borax powder and Diatomaceous Earth

But they are not quick fox will take 2-4 week to see result

Also good idea to put them inside cupboard and inside dark place that bug can come in feom
Borax will also stay in the soil for years to come and can be damaging to the environment. It will prevent plant growth in that area for years.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
This is AFTER I applied Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed about two weeks ago.
Short of putting salt or acid on your lawn this is the worst thing you can do.
Our local nursies do a radio show on Saturdays literally describe that stuff as a drug.

Anyway get you some Microlife brown patch. Natural fertilizer. I think it's 5-1-3. I use the green bag on my lawn and for my trees which is 6-2-4

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Borax will also stay in the soil for years to come and can be damaging to the environment. It will prevent plant growth in that area for years.

Interesting, we don't really have lawn here in Taiwan, so I did a look online.

[quuote] Boric acid is commonly sold as borax, which is sodium borate. It is colorless and is available in salt-like and powder forms. A mixture of 5 teaspoons borax and 1 quart water will effectively kill ground ivy and pests in a 25-foot-square area without causing major damage to your lawn. However, if the mixture is not applied uniformly, some areas receive a higher concentration of boric acid. The stronger concentration will kill the grass. Never use a boric acid solution to control weeds or pests in a vegetable or flower garden. It will kill or damage flowers and vegetables. [/quote]

homeguides.sfgate.com

Will Boric Acid Kill the Lawn?

Boric acid contains boron. Plants need a small amount of this nutrient, but even a small...

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
83e5704bc447f68f2d780119f2bf2927.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Background: I bought a new house last winter. Of course I didn't even check the lawn health.

20210508_122149.jpg

This is AFTER I applied Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed about two weeks ago. It was like a wild forest before with dandelions and other things all over. Even though they kinda died with the Weed and Feed, they are still intact. After this photo was taken, I rooted out the weeds individually so it doesn't like like a lawn from hell.

I do however need to fully kill them. I also need to fix the dry patches and densify the grass. I looked at Scott's Turf fertilizer but I am not sure how to apply it...do I remove the soil first then add it?

For dandelions, you have to make sure you pull up the full root otherwise they will come back. For that, get a fiskars 4 claw tool. Amazing tool. Other Weeds you can use 24d and triclopyr depending on the weeds. Keep in mind you have to have patience. Even with sprays, some weeds will take over a week to die and possibly two applications. Another good herbicide is Tzone, knocks out most of anything though yiu might not be able to get it in your state.

You will prob be dealing with crabgrass soon but there's not much you can do now. Next March you want to put down some kind of premergent like Scott's halts crabgrass preventer and lawn food. Fertilizers you need something like a rotary spreader. Scott's makes a few smaller ones that will do the job. Follow the label on the back of the bag of fert for dispersal instructions. After spreading, you can water it in unless rain is coming.

In the fall around late August/September you can overseed and thicken up the lawn(if in the north at least, not sure how southern lawns are) . Seedsuperstore.com has some great seeds. Dethatch(not always needed), aerate, then seed.

I spend a lot of time on r/lawncare and this is just scratching the surface. There is a lot that goes into lawncare.

BTW if you don't want to use herbicides, the only thing you can really do is do a premergent and hope it takes care of most of it, and thicken and grow the grass taller to crowd out as much weeds as you can. And manually pull weeds but I warn you, pulling all weeds is a full time job :P Dandelions I manually pull with that fiskars tool, but everything else I usually try to spray unless it's close to flowers

Good luck and congrats on the house

Also, I saw somebody mention those spike lawn shoes, I'd advise against that since it doesn't really aerate the lawn, it just compacts it away from the hole. Just rent an aerator or just have somebody come and do it for ya and save your energy.

Last edited:

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Background: I bought a new house last winter. Of course I didn't even check the lawn health.

20210508_122149.jpg

This is AFTER I applied Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed about two weeks ago. It was like a wild forest before with dandelions and other things all over. Even though they kinda died with the Weed and Feed, they are still intact. After this photo was taken, I rooted out the weeds individually so it doesn't like like a lawn from hell.

I do however need to fully kill them. I also need to fix the dry patches and densify the grass. I looked at Scott's Turf fertilizer but I am not sure how to apply it...do I remove the soil first then add it?
Really weird this thread came up. I just bought by home in late October last year.

Mine isn't as bad as yours but I do have bare spots and dry patches. Here's what I did/doing:

1. Water. I have centipede grass and when I step on it, the grass often didn't bounce back. I started watering a few times a week to get the bounce.

2. Dethatch. This is VITAL. I had a lot. I can see it in your picture. You need to dethatch with a machine (rent or buy one. Cheapest I saw was an electric one for 129 at Lowe's). Nothing you do from here on out will matter if you skip this. Think of combing through matted hair to get the shampoo in.

The dead layer of grass (thatch) is blocking water and new grass from growing. Pick it up with a rake or bagged lawnmower.

3. Milorgranite. Buy it and spread it all on the yard. It's good for any yard and will fertilize it.

3. Seeds. Spread seeds of whatever you want right after thatching and spreading the milorgranite. Rake them in gently and water twice a day for two to three weeks. Then water irregularly.

I JUST did all of this last week. My side yard has a HUGE dirt patch. I'm just gonna buy some sod and fill it in while doing the steps above. I got all this info from Clemson's extension website. I ordered a kit from them so they can test my soil. The results from the test will tell me what to add as far as nutrients.

Hope that helps.

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
My lawn was pretty bad when I purchased my home but I used r/lawncare as a resource and after 2 seasons my lawn is great.

As others mentioned, everything you are doing for this season is really for next season. Either pull all the weeds, or use a herbicide such as tenacity (kills weeds but doesn't harm the grass, super helpful). There are YouTube videos out there on how to best use tenacity.

Also fertilize with milorganite. It won't burn the grass so don't worry about putting too much down.

Your big issue right now is we are getting close to summer where the grass does not really grow but the weeds go crazy. Really just need to play defense (tenacity) and start getting the soil in better shape (milorganite). Late August / early fall either rent an aerator or hire someone to aerate your lawn. After that overseed. Someone mentioned superseedstore.com which is what I used as well. Also fertilize again at this time.

Water your lawn, especially when you first seed as you want it to take hold. In the fall there really isn't much weed activity so your new grass isn't competing with weeds. Before winter hits fertilize one more time (November usually works).

In the spring you will need to put down some pre emergent. I like using lesco with dimension but that's just a preference. You want to put down the pre emergent when soil temperature is around 55 degrees. There are websites out there that can alert you when this occurs. It's up to you if you want to try to seed again in the spring for any spots that didn't take last fall or just wait for the fall. You also want to fertilize again in the spring.

At that point the cycle just continues until you have a thick lawn. Also remember to mow high as that acts as a natural weed defense (sunlight can't hit the soil if grass is high). It depends on the area you live in but typically it's no shorter than 3in and no shorter than 3.5in in the summer/heat.

Lawn care is pretty frustrating because you really have to wait a year to see how effective your treatments are and if you need to change anything. Try to also get a soil test done to see what else your soil may need

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you everyone so much for the help. ♥️

I also have clover weed growing (tiny clover plants in the grass area) as well as purple looking tiny plants. AFAIK, anything that's not strictly grass is not helpful. How do I get rid of these funky plants? Just use Tenacity?

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck a lawn, they're not worth the time and resources. They're a waste of water. My lawn is nothing but weeds and dry patches. My neighbors hate me.

Yeah I try to take care of my lawn. But I can only do so much and only have a certain amount of time and energy. And Im not spending money on landscapers when I have more important things to spend money on.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you everyone so much for the help. ♥

I also have clover weed growing (tiny clover plants in the grass area) as well as purple looking tiny plants. AFAIK, anything that's not strictly grass is not helpful. How do I get rid of these funky plants? Just use Tenacity?

Imo clovers and violets are not inherently bad. They are good for pollinators and look pretty. The issue is they do spread pretty quick and can essentially supplant your turf. Just a question of if you are ok with some amount of them or not.

Personally I only eradicate dandelions by uprooting them because they spread even worse than clover/violets and are ugly imo.

I sort of rake/reseed with grass seed every couple years the areas that have the most violets. That seems to allow sort of a mix of turf and violets and the violets don't completely take over.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you everyone so much for the help. ♥

Triclopyr will take care of clover. Weed B Gone has a solution in a purple cap bottle for it. But anything with triclopyr will work though. Its difficult to get rid of all of the clover since its so small and spreads easy. I try not to go too crazy trying to get all of it, plus a little clover isnt too bad imo.

Purple looking tiny plants can be a lot of things, wild violet, or purple dead nettle. Both can be controlled by anything with 24D or dicamba.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Evergreen complete works wonders for me every year in the uk. use a spreader and don't be stingy.

brotherbean

Oct 26, 2017
Time, grass seed, fertilizer, and lots of water. But mostly time. I started down this journey last fall/late summer and have seen a lot of progress but there's a long way to go still. I'm hoping to have it where I want it in a couple of years.

Look for local nurseries/grass places for advice; around here there's one that sells a yearly package of seed and various fertilizers, and people seem to like it. They'll also be able to give you advice on what type of grass to plant, specific to your climate and the amount of sun/shade in your yard.

You'll probably want to do some verticutting/dethatching if it's been a while. I've been seeing ads for small electric models from SunJoe and they look fine, but if you have a Home Depot close by, and a way to get it home, you can rent a much more capable device for much cheaper. It will seem counter-productive as it will thin your lawn for a bit, but it is necessary to get good ground contact for the overseeding you'll do immediately after.

If you don't have in-ground irrigation, invest in some water hoses and sprinklers - you'll be using them a lot. Depending on what part of the world you're in, near daily watering is likely to become a ritual later in the summer.

If you have absolutely bare spots, put down some starter fertilizer, a handful of seed, cover it with a thin layer of sphagnum or peat moss, and keep it damp. Don't soak it, but you'll want to go over it daily when it's not raining.

For dandelions and other weeds that are tough to pull, I recommend a weed pulling tool. They're $10-15 on Amazon and sort of fun to use once you get the hang of it. There's something satisfying about pulling a dandelion and bringing up an entire 8" root. Some people even use these for tea but I haven't tried it...

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
we planted some clover to fill out an area where we removed some hedges. Its amazingly tough, survived through GA winter, the bees love it. Saw some hummingbirds digging it too. The plan was to mulch it into the ground and plant some grass for quails. To -whateverfy- the soil. But until then, theres like maybe 1 or 2 weeds that makes it through that stuff. You can shape it as well.

Maybe pour some borders / rocks/bricks / concrete mold and make some areas for easy pretty plants.

Concrete+Edging1-640w.jpg

We have a ton of these. #1, cuts down on surface area of grass. 2. You can just cover it up with plastic and kill everything/put weed blocker under it. And fill it with whatever soil/mulch you can find. It looks nice. Less to worry about. Throw in some evergreens, trees, anything, or that long grass stuff. Hit gym, call lawyer.

But this way, your lawn looks pretty / less water. Less maintenance. Less worry.

We bought into an amazing garden/lawn last year. Its still going strong. Only problem is poison ivy/sumac. But I just weed wack that when I can to keep it in line. There is no winning that fucking fight.

Last edited:

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I stopped caring. After fighting with it for years it became such a time and money sink that all I do now is now, water and spray. I got 1/2 and acre of swamp next to my home so it brings a lot of wild "weeds".

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
We are looking into hiring a landscaping buisness to do it. We don't really have an excuse, we have 3 landscaping businesses that live in our hood lol.

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you everyone so much for the help. ♥️

Clover is not actually a weed but was considered a type of grass until pesticides would kill it. Instead of changing the formula they relabeled clovers as weeds. They are good for the soil as they pump in nitrogen, basically a natural fertilizer.

You can always control how large the patches are but I would not get rid of them completely

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
They are good for the soil as they pump in nitrogen, basically a natural fertilizer.
In general clover taking over indicates nitrogen-poor soil, so fertilize. Or get a dog to pee all over your lawn. Sure it will scorch where it lands, but around it you'll get a lush green ring...

I find the easiest solution to improve a lawn is adequate shade. For me my lawn takes the most punishment when it doesn't have enough watering and the sun parches the soil and things die. I like fescue and other long grasses, so I've been planing fruiting trees (cherry, apple) over the years to fill in some of the areas where we don't have coverage from our large maples.

Oct 29, 2017
Ill spend some time enjoying this thread, but a HATE yard work. We got weeds on one side of our house that are thick and sprout up immediately, our back porch is stone on sand, and grass/weeds sprout up like nothing, and non-stop other stuff. Taking care of our lawn feels like taking a mop to the ocean. Its never enough!