• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
What a garbage trailer. I literally cannot tell what is new or better. Also animation is like the last thing on my mind when it comes to improving FIFA. I am already doubting them doing some real changes.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
What a garbage trailer. I literally cannot tell what is new or better. Also animation is like the last thing on my mind when it comes to improving FIFA. I am already doubting them doing some real changes.
I mean, that's the point. All smoke and mirrors and buzzwords to distract from the fact that it's still the same game as last year, and the year before that, etc...

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Played FUT champs first time in 3 months this weekend, game is still bullshit. Hit the post 6 times 3 games in a row, 2x per game. My last game I drew 2-2 with 71% possession and ended up losing 2-2 on pens, had 15 shots and he 3 with his first goal glitching through my defense. There's a reason people play this game like a rat-formula, where you only go for high % chances only and nothing more, because the game actively punishes you if you try to play footy.

Just pissing me the fuck off right before the Euro finals

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Gamehas been shitty for at least 5 years. They keep the same stuff and add marketing buzzwords in an effort to bullshit more people into buying it.

Same fucking in engine 'cinematic' trailer every damn year.

I'm done with this shit.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
EA thinks there are more Stadia players than PC owners that can run the "next-gen" game? Sure, EA

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Should have just been five minutes of auto-blocks, the whole team crowding the box and bullshit through passes at a 180 degree angle. The true FIFA experience.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
The poor Marketing team really has to come up with weird/"cool" feature names every year, must get hard by now. Hyerpmotion, ML Flow, Kinetic Air Battles, Player Humanization, etc.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to see this game have a new thing added but then take out other modes and still try to charge me more money for FUT.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think there has ever been a year where the PC version was on par with a next gen or even current gen game. If anything, they're usually on some last gen bullshit.
I can't think of a single reason why that should be the case. Surely it has a huge effect on pc sales numbers.
Nah that's not true. It's just that around the start of a new generation, EA tends to hold the PC version back for a year or two. After that, it's usually on par.
I know the main excuse was the sales aren't worth mentioning compared to console ones.
My personal thought is that PC FIFA is typically more popular in developing countries where most players may not have the hardware for the 'next-gen' bump (and all the new features EA ties with it).

Tesla

Feb 8, 2019
People getting salty about Stadia I can see…
It's good for stadia players to get the next-gen version. You should be happy for them.

chilleverest

Jul 24, 2019
Imagine charging 70 for a game which should have been free to play ie ultimate team. Rest of the mode is discarded with little to no improvements anyway.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Imagine charging 70 for a game which should have been free to play ie ultimate team. Rest of the mode is discarded with little to no improvements anyway.

Don't let stuff you read on Era fool you. A huge chunk of the Fifa player base are perfectly fine not touching Ultimate Team. Why would they make the game F2P?

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Wish they'd at least put the street mode on the Switch version :( I'll probably skip this one. Barely touched FIFA 21 anyways.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Hypermotion exclusive to Stadia. Incredibly shit decision by EA

On the plus side, it gives me a good reason not to buy it, and player movement looks just as robotic as before:

Forget animations for a second…

Why is there still no urgency from midfielders to get back? Look at how much space the attackers have in front of the CBs!

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
coming to switch as well according to EA PR. legacy edition, ofc.

nintendoeverything.com

FIFA 22 Legacy Edition to be released on Switch

FIFA 22 Legacy Edition will be released for Switch on October 1, EA announced today. This marks the third year in a row that Nintendo’s console will be receiving a Legacy Edition of the sports game. Unfortunately, Switch players won’t have access to new content and features like other platforms...
The mad lads are going to do it! Damn. FIFA 18 5 times in a row, gotta hand it to them, and only now do they decide to formally reduce the starting price point, and even then it's still too much.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Wait so this hypermotion tech won't be on origin/steam, but will be on Stadia?
To be fair the Stadia port is not just a "PC port in the cloud" if that's what you're implying. Stadia games have to be ported specifially to the Stadia platform. It is after all built on a semi-custom hardware stack that runs on Linux and the Vulkan API. So it being "exclusive" to Stadia doesn't mean they built a solution for Stadia that would work on PC and are choosing to not implement it in the PC version...it just means they built an implementation (like they did for PS5 and Xbox) that works specifically with the Stadia platform. If anything the platform holders (i.e. Sony, Microsoft, and Google) I'm sure had to pay EA to implement that tech in their respective ports.

Last edited:

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
To be fair the Stadia port is not just a "PC port in the cloud" if that's what you're implying. Stadia games have to be ported specifially to the Stadia platform. It is after all built on a semi-custom hardware stack that runs on Linux and the Vulkan API. So it being "exclusive" to Stadia doesn't mean they built a solution for Stadia that would work on PC and are choosing to not implement it in the PC version...it just means they built an implementation (like they did for PS5 and Xbox) that works specifically with the Stadia platform. If anything the platform holders (i.e. Sony, Microsoft, and Google) I'm sure had to pay EA to implement that tech in their respective ports.
EA probably didn't offer EA enough money to implement it on Origin.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
People need to stop supporting this crap. I can't think of a bigger title that would benefit from being a GAAS.
Oh god no. There would be much more MTX for a game like this, if it would be GaaS. Not everything needs to become a platform and as someone playing mostly career, I don't wanna see MTX in that, just because they loose the revenue of selling the game.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It makes no sense for the PC version to not get access to all the latest features..
EA ridiculous as always, PC version won't get the new features for no real reason...after all they're based in the UK, what should i expect from people who believe their nation will win tonight match...IT'S COMING HOME, IN ROME!

Wait so this hypermotion tech won't be on origin/steam, but will be on Stadia?

EA had this to say for FIFA 21 next gen upgrades:
"When we looked at what generation to put the PC game on, we looked at our fans and what capabilities they had with the hardware they have," McHardy said
www.eurogamer.net

EA says FIFA 21 on PC won't get the PS5 and Xbox Series X features to keep the minimum specs down

FIFA 21 on PC will not get the next-gen features coming to the game on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X and S in order t…

I still think they should then release both versions of the game, so each PC gamer gets the best experience. But that would explain why Stadia gets it and PC misses out. After all every stadia player has at minimum a mid/high end PC.

Using the next gen or rather current gen version of the game would increase the minimum specs significantly. Thus according to the quote above some/many FIFA PC players would miss out.
Yep, exactly and that's on EA. Basically they got a nice fat check from Microsoft, Sony, and Google and decided not to spend additional time and resources (yet) to implement it on PC. A crappy move indeed.
There is no need to create conspiracy theories. EA answered this with FIFA 21 and stated their reasoning. You can read it above.
What is there problem with PC?
Their problem is that their PC community doesn't have good PC's. You can read a quote above.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I know the main excuse was the sales aren't worth mentioning compared to console ones.
No. Their explanation is that they've looked at which PC their community uses and decided to not up the minimum specs.
is HyperMotion their variation of Motion Matching? Honestly still looks very robotic.
It's more than animation.
Xbox One and PS4 have crappy CPU paired with no ML capabilities.
I can't think of a single reason why that should be the case. Surely it has a huge effect on pc sales numbers.
Whenever you up the minimum specs you'll lock people out. So it would have an effect on sales, but not the effect you alluded to. Btw I am team " just release a last gen version for toaster PC and next gen for those with high end PC". But EA explained with FIFA 21 that the reason PC misses out on the next gen upgrade is due to them looking at the specs of their PC community.

Edit:
I have no interest in FIFA, but the potential there by capturing real player movement data and using advanced stuff like ML to drive animations sounds fascinating on paper. The tech artists and engine developers carry the sports genre of games on their backs. Really hard stuff to come up with solutions for - like with their recent tech for hair strands. Incredibly complex work for something like that which you hardly see in game anyway.
Yep the tech sounds neat and I wouldn't have expected FIFA to use ML. Will be interested to see how it plays out 🙂
That trailer gave me Hypermotion Sickness, jeez.

Oh, that does sound neat! More customization options are always welcome.
Will be a hard decision for me. Do I create my own club or focus on Arsenal as every time I buy FIFA.
Also animation is like the last thing on my mind when it comes to improving FIFA
The tech is not just about animation. For example:
IN ATTACK
The ability to make up to 6x more decisions per second gives attackers more awareness of their surroundings, allows them to make smarter runs in build-up play, and lets them react to loose balls quicker
www.ea.com

FIFA 22 - Official Football Game from EA SPORTS™ - EA Official Site

FIFA 22 is Powered by Football, and features groundbreaking new HyperMotion gameplay technology on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Stadia

The reason is they want u to buy and play on the next gen consoles, simple.
Why would EA care about that? They get more money from selling FIFA in their poor origin launcher per game. After all there is no 30% fee on their own store. EA already explained why they didn't bring FIFA 21 next gen upgrades to PC and I'd imagine for the exact reason PC users miss out sadly on FIFA 22.
My personal thought is that PC FIFA is typically more popular in developing countries where most players may not have the hardware for the 'next-gen' bump (and all the new features EA ties with it)
EA didn't mention countries, but you nailed the reason. They looked at PC specs of the users playing their game and upping the minimum specs as the next gen version would do isn't something they wanted to do.
If anything the platform holders (i.e. Sony, Microsoft, and Google) I'm sure had to pay EA to implement that tech in their respective ports.
Surely, let's blame Sony and Microsoft 🙄
Or as an alternative, EA just decided increasing the minimum specs would lock to many people out and made a business choice here.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
EA thinks there are more Stadia players than PC owners that can run the "next-gen" game? Sure, EA

Stadia is fixed hardware, and more importantly, Google is most certainly paying EA for the port.

It's still an incredibly shitty thing for them to keep leaving the PC version stuck on last gen.

chilleverest

Jul 24, 2019
Don't let stuff you read on Era fool you. A huge chunk of the Fifa player base are perfectly fine not touching Ultimate Team. Why would they make the game F2P?
Where do you get that ''huge chunk'' from ? I must be missing something because if there was a huge chunk of non Ultimate team players/modes, ea quite clearly would've emphasized more on these modes.

Every year gameplay focuses revolve around Ultimate team, releasing content after content of player cards, each better than previous, making the game incredibly pay to win. Even more, their entire esports season is based around building the most powerful team which gives you competitive edge over your opponents. Surely, there would be more viable mode right for non ultimate players right, at least for esports scene ?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Where do you get that ''huge chunk'' from ?
I think one way would be to look at a easily obtained FUT trophy/achievements and the percentage there. Not saying the user or you are right or wrong, because even though I just checked. I haven't played FUT for many years. Therefore I can't judge, which trophy is easily obtained

Not that it would matter much, because Ultimate Team simply brings them significantly more money than a career player like me. I buy the game mostly on a discount anyways and then don't spend a cent on MTX. Meanwhile some FUT players spend hundreds, thousand or even more than 10k. So from a business perspective it's very smart to focus on Ultimate Team. But as a player I hate it, because other modes deserve more love imo.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Surely, let's blame Sony and Microsoft 🙄
Or as an alternative, EA just decided increasing the minimum specs would lock to many people out and made a business choice here.
I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't blaming Sony, Microsoft, or Google. Each of those companies are paying for their ports hence why there's a financial (and contractual) obligation/incentive for EA to include the new tech. EA could have released it for PC as well (several games include things like raytracing) but ultimately EA made the business decision to not spend the additional time and resources to implement it. That's completely on EA.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Animation is the least of Fifa's problems, it's the brain dead midfielders and defenses that make this game hard to enjoy in regular matches.

Sadly my friends and i really enjoy pro clubs and play that mode a lot so i'll still get it day one.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Where do you get that ''huge chunk'' from ? I must be missing something because if there was a huge chunk of non Ultimate team players/modes, ea quite clearly would've emphasized more on these modes.

Every year gameplay focuses revolve around Ultimate team, releasing content after content of player cards, each better than previous, making the game incredibly pay to win. Even more, their entire esports season is based around building the most powerful team which gives you competitive edge over your opponents. Surely, there would be more viable mode right for non ultimate players right, at least for esports scene ?

Are you truly surprised they pay more attention to the MTX heavy mode that brings in a lot of cash?

You're not entirely correct. They also spend a lot of time every year trying to paint the picture of revamped gameplay, updates to career modes etc. A few years ago, a ton of their marketing (and E3 briefing) was around their 'The journey' career mode.

I personally have never played FUT before.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Each of those companies are paying for their ports hence why there's a financial (and contractual) obligation/incentive for EA to include the new tech
First my bad on misunderstanding your post. I don't think MS and Sony are paying for any port here. Those platforms are to popular and it would be Ubisoft, EA, ... loss to not bring something over. Having said that I expect Stadia to pay for a few ports, because they don't have the userbase and therefore the leverage yet.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
The gameplay scenes look just as stiff as in the previous years.
Why not improve animations first instead of investing in a system that gives you more animations of the same bad quality.
Basically Quantity over Quality approach