• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Time to break out this bad boy again in celebration of Octopath Tactics (I refuse to call it by its project name)

Euf7LQQXAAEs6Pq
I've been considering getting a Playstation TV recently...

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think they're gonna re-release FF7 Remake Part 1 on PS5 as well as do a PC release? I also remember Imran hinting about some extra story content. Wonder if that's still happening...

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they can't talk about the PC/Xbox versions until the year exclusivity is up, I would have thought they would have announced them at least by now

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just beat FF7 Remake for the first time. I've never played the original, so the story was all new to me. Overall I liked it, but I gotta say the whispers and Sephiroth were kinda lame? I have no idea what they are or why Sephiroth is the villain, other than he smiles evil-y a lot. So I didn't really care any time they were on screen. But I liked the Avalanche and Shinra parts a lot. The plate falling was an amazing moment I didn't see coming.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The whispers weren't in the original game at all, Sephiroth only featured briefly in the Midgar section as well, more explanation about him happened right after where part 1 ends

Jan 11, 2018
Could adding the digital PS4 version of FFVII Remake to my library for convenience's sake potentially become an issue come the day when I want to upgrade my physical copy for the PS5 port? Seems a few titles with free have issues identifying which version to install and launch, hence why I'm wondering about this.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Somecallmejohnny will doing videos on all mainline titles in the series. Starting with the 1987 original.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
-edit nvm-

if anyone wants to run through comrades on 15 let me know lol. I'm trying to finish it!/want someone to carry me through this slog until I can get op too!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
-edit nvm-

if anyone wants to run through comrades on 15 let me know lol. I'm trying to finish it!/want someone to carry me through this slog until I can get op too!
There's an official FFXV Discord you can check out that often has people online to help out in Comrades. Here's the link to it:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Somecallmejohnny's Final Fantasy II video

I wouldn't really recommend the NES version these days. Best to go with GBA or a later version since that version got needed game balance adjustments. Current best version IMO is the PSP version. It has the gameplay balance of the GBA version, music quality and FMVs from PS1, and the best visuals.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to take a victory lap and announce that I have defeated Final Fantasy V on the GBA. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Only three more mainline FF games to go!

VI
IX
X

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone help me understand a FF 1 Time Loop inquiry: So after becoming Chaos, Garland creates and sends the 4 fiends forward in time but they do not awaken for several centuries each. But what happened to Chaos then? Where is he 2000 years later at the start of the game? I believe his destruction in the past only occurs when we break the loop. I assume that means he successfully killed the WoLs many times before he succeeded and kept himself immortal through the cycle. But why did not appear in our current time?

niall

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone help me understand a FF 1 Time Loop inquiry: So after becoming Chaos, Garland creates and sends the 4 fiends forward in time but they do not awaken for several centuries each. But what happened to Chaos then? Where is he 2000 years later at the start of the game? I believe his destruction in the past only occurs when we break the loop. I assume that means he successfully killed the WoLs many times before he succeeded and kept himself immortal through the cycle. But why did not appear in our current time?

I don't think the time loop really makes any consistent sense. They retcon it a bit in Dissidia, but it doesn't really make it any better.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
RPG Limit Break is doing a Final Fantasy franchise relay race this weekend.

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

They've done VIII and Mystic Quest, so far. Now, they're on X.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone! Ishiro (who runs the SE OT) and myself have started up a podcast dedicated to SE if you're interested in checking us out! <3

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else get a notification on your phone that you got into the FFVII mobile game beta and then nothing happened when you pressed it?

edit: nvm I had to find it in the Play Store

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017
Anyone trying to load the Final Fantasy VII: The First Solider beta app in the Google app store via Bluestacks? Tells me that the game isn't compatible with my device. I was able to download it on my phone though.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I downloaded FF12 and 8 to try and get into Final Fantasy and JRPG in general. The only JRPG I finished and played was Persona 5 and for 75% of the time it was fantastic yet it had the big problem of not actually ending even when it should have. Still for a first foray into a genre it was a great introduction.

Yet I'm not here about me getting into JRPG's but to ask a question about FF8.

What makes it unique both in it's genre and FF series in it's entirety? It's an old game even with the newest HD port and I need a reason to play it, because if I'm to spend hours on a game I would like a good explenation why I should pick it and not countless other JRPG's? like Tales of Vesperia, Dragon quest 11 and even a whole other game in the FF series like 12, 7 remake?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded FF12 and 8 to try and get into Final Fantasy and JRPG in general. The only JRPG I finished and played was Persona 5 and for 75% of the time it was fantastic yet it had the big problem of not actually ending even when it should have. Still for a first foray into a genre it was a great introduction.

What makes it unique both in it's genre and FF series in it's entirety? It's an old game even with the newest HD port and I need a reason to play it, because if I'm to spend hours on a game I would like a good explenation why I should pick it and not countless other JRPG's? like Tales of Vesperia, Dragon quest 11 and even a whole other game in the FF series like 12, 7 remake?

VIIIs junction system is pretty unique, you can experiment early and break the hell out of the game, it also has a card game that rivals gwent.

The story is also a wild ride.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020

Final Fantasy stories are high quality sweeping fantasy operas, which is still quite rare in gaming. Sometimes the series flounders with its narratives, and the execution ends up confusing, or maybe falls apart towards the end, but even the worst stories tend to be strong. They're spectacular, but they blend that spectacle with actual narrative themes, character development and excellent pacing. In comparison other JRPGs tend to be far more focused on just the spectacle.

Final Fantasy is also a series where every game is different, so if you're asking why VIII and XII are special, the answer is the same reason VII, IX, VI, X and every other FF are special. Everyone should play at least a few FF games, and VIII and XII are perfectly good places to start.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Final Fantasy stories are high quality sweeping fantasy operas, which is still quite rare in gaming. Sometimes the series flounders with its narratives, and the execution ends up confusing, or maybe falls apart towards the end, but even the worst stories tend to be strong. They're spectacular, but they blend that spectacle with actual narrative themes, character development and excellent pacing. In comparison other JRPGs tend to be far more focused on just the spectacle.

Final Fantasy is also a series where every game is different, so if you're asking why VIII and XII are special, the answer is the same reason VII, IX, VI, X and every other FF are special. Everyone should play at least a few FF games, and VIII and XII are perfectly good places to start.

I like what I've seen of XVI. Planing on playing FF7 remake, when I'm going to do it depends on a few factors. I played XV for around 10 - 15 hours and I'm mixed on it and may or may not go back to it. For some reason I wanted to play XII, I guess I found the way it looks interesting.

I'll try out 8 yet I'm unsure when I am going to do it. Is around 5 hours enough to see if I want to continue playing it or is it a slow start? even by RPG/JRPG standards?

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I like what I've seen of XVI. Planing on playing FF7 remake, when I'm going to do it depends on a few factors. I played XV for around 10 - 15 hours and I'm mixed on it and may or may not go back to it. For some reason I wanted to play XII, I guess I found the way it looks interesting.

I'll try out 8 yet I'm unsure when I am going to do it. Is around 5 hours enough to see if I want to continue playing it or is it a slow start? even by RPG/JRPG standards?
XV is weird because it falls apart at the beginning but then comes together at the end XD

If I had to make a personal recommendation I'd say get on to VII Remake. That'll give you a great idea of what makes FF special, as well as being modern.

XII is another one of my favourites but it would never be my recommendation for someone trying to get into the series as it's so different.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
XV is weird because it falls apart at the beginning but then comes together at the end XD

If I had to make a personal recommendation I'd say get on to VII Remake. That'll give you a great idea of what makes FF special, as well as being modern.

XII is another one of my favourites but it would never be my recommendation for someone trying to get into the series as it's so different.

I'm very unsure on 15, honestly I don't like the anyone in the 4 man party and Noctis attitude is unappealing, he feels like he doesn't want to go on this road trip and he's bringing me down with him and the other 3 don't do enough to save it. And at the same time I didn't have a horrible time with it especially after 2 or so hours. The into is not good....at all. Why do so many games fail at getting you interested at the start?

12 and 8 are on Gamepass so it won't be to much trouble to try them out.

Jan 11, 2018
I can guarantee that Noctis's personality does not match his character archetype / design. And that's a good thing. He's a dork and an animal lover, basically.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
VIIIs junction system is pretty unique, you can experiment early and break the hell out of the game, it also has a card game that rivals gwent.

The story is also a wild ride.

Triple Triad is still one of the best minigames in a videogame IMO, and very rewarding, if a bit tedious.
And yeah getting big in FF8 is all about junctioning spells to your stats, once you get that down the game becomes hella easy.
Woulda been cool if the game had presented more of a challenge to reward people that took full advantage of the system.

Battle of the Gardens is one of my favourite setpieces from the series.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm thinking about getting WOFF as it's on sale

Is the Maxima upgrade worthwhile/necessary?

I can get that too but it would push the price up a bit and I'm struggling to see if what it adds is worth it