• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been a fan of Final Fantasy or JPRGs in general, but I bought this on a whim for the stupidest of reasons, and I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

If it's an option, I usually choose to play Japanese-developed games in Japanese, but here I switched over to English after getting to Sector 7, as the amount of subtitles onscreen while walking through town was just too much. I ended up being impressed by most of the performances, and really grew to like the majority of the characters. Extra points to the localization team for using actual children to voice many of the kids in the game instead of an adult woman trying to sound young. It does still have my Anime peeve of never letting characters just be silent. Even with the beautifully realized faces and expressions effectively conveying thought and emotion on their own, they still feel the need to punctuate every moment with vocal feedback of some kind (Hm? Uh huh. Wha? Right. Okay. Eh? Got it. Oh. Sigh). The physical acting is great - just let it breathe, for God's sake.

I absolutely love the look of this game. Yes, there are some blurry textures and low poly models here and there, and the generic NPCs are not in the same realm as the main cast, but otherwise the visuals are fantastic. Even mundane industrial interiors look incredible. VFX are top notch (though arguably a bit overdone). Animation for both combat and navigation movements is excellent. Characters feel like they have mass and are grounded in the environment; it feels good just running around the world.

I enjoyed the story for the most part, but there were several scenes I found extremely frustrating. In several key moments, bad things happen because: a) Characters behave in a totally irrational or out-of-character manner, or b) Characters that are just offscreen apparently don't exist anymore, or are just standing around while the bad things slowly unfold. These kinds of moments make me very conscious of the narrative in a way that pulls me out. It's clumsy storytelling that makes the events feel like a means to an end rather than an organically unfolding scene. There aren't a ton of these instances, but they were definitely blemishes on the overall story. I have these issues with the Yakuza games as well.

Overall, though - I loved it. I can't wait for the next installment of the remake, and even though I've only experienced a small portion of the original FFVII's story, I finally understand why these characters are so iconic and mean so much to people.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm in Ch 14 in the main game, with just the MP Consumption battle intel to finish to get Bahamut, is it possible possible for me to finish before going into the final chapters without farming for days? I'm not planning on a NG+ run as of now, maybe in the future.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
On Chapter 16, and of course I chose to take the stairs rather than the elevator. I really appreciate the effort they went to for that, hilarious.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Am I missing something with this Yuffie DLC? It seems impossible to fight enemies without getting obliterated unless you do that synergy thing. I have died 15x more in these two chapters than in the whole of Remake.

But the synergy thing makes all the attacks this goofy up and down thing, I've literally only ever been able to use cure materia because fighting one enemy gets us both so wrecked there's no chance to use other abilities. I just have it on normal.

And I'm kinda hating it.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Am I missing something with this Yuffie DLC? It seems impossible to fight enemies without getting obliterated unless you do that synergy thing. I have died 15x more in these two chapters than in the whole of Remake.

But the synergy thing makes all the attacks this goofy up and down thing, I've literally only ever been able to use cure materia because fighting one enemy gets us both so wrecked there's no chance to use other abilities. I just have it on normal.

And I'm kinda hating it.

Sounds like you're definitely missing things. Blocking is important. Yuffie even has a perfect block that causes major pressure on most enemies. If you just tap block you can see a VFX appear and that is your window for this perfect block mechanic.

Knowing enemy weaknesses is also key. And Yuffie can swap elemental powers using 1 bar of ATB.

Utilizing the throw projectile and windstorm combo is also pretty key.

Just browsed through some youtube videos and found a good beginner guide that goes over things very well. And saves me time typing :P

youtu.be

How to Play as Yuffie Combat Guide | Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade

This is How to Play Yuffie! Finally the Yuffie Combat Guide is OUT and ready for you guys. This one took me awhile to get out there because of how crazy Yuff...

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Sounds like you're definitely missing things. Blocking is important. Yuffie even has a perfect block that causes major pressure on most enemies. If you just tap block you can see a VFX appear and that is your window for this perfect block mechanic.

Knowing enemy weaknesses is also key. And Yuffie can swap elemental powers using 1 bar of ATB.

Utilizing the throw projectile and windstorm combo is also pretty key.

Just browsed through some youtube videos and found a good beginner guide that goes over things very well. And saves me time typing :P

youtu.be

How to Play as Yuffie Combat Guide | Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade

This is How to Play Yuffie! Finally the Yuffie Combat Guide is OUT and ready for you guys. This one took me awhile to get out there because of how crazy Yuff...
That would probably be it then because I hate blocking and forget that it's there, and also haven't switched up elemental powers at all. I'm currently stuck on some stupid looking Kingdom Hearts guy, which I was hoping wouldn't punch it's way into the remake, and I'm probably just going to watch the ending on YouTube. Yuffie seems more complicated than what I wanted.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I never considered myself very good at the combat in this game. I didn't really have a hard time with the main game but I did always kind of feel like I was just muddling my way through it. The final boss of the Yuffie DLC finally punished me for not mastering the combat though. Once I got him to the third phase I just had no idea how to survive his onslaught of attacks and once I got stuck in a cute loop that was it. Finally had to knock the difficulty down to easy just to see the ending.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I never considered myself very good at the combat in this game. I didn't really have a hard time with the main game but I did always kind of feel like I was just muddling my way through it. The final boss of the Yuffie DLC finally punished me for not mastering the combat though. Once I got him to the third phase I just had no idea how to survive his onslaught of attacks and once I got stuck in a cute loop that was it. Finally had to knock the difficulty down to easy just to see the ending.
I just started it last night and feel I am close to this.

This is why I hate late DLC for a game. I never feel like I remember how to play it. I am near done and still feel woefully unprepared

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Just mopped up a bunch of Uncharted 4 trophies over the weekend and now I'm about to finally play this! Really excited to dig in.

It's kind of funny that I've waited until now because FF7R is what made me want to start gaming again. I didn't play any video games for 5 years between 2014 and 2019, and I had pretty much decided to give up video games for the rest of my life.

I guess the good thing about waiting is that I get to play the superior PS5 version!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Started my replay earlier. I was considering going through it on hard as I only did the first 4 chapters on hard before, but I guess I never uploaded my save to the cloud (a process I had incorrectly assumed to be automatic). Playing again on normal is fine though, I've forgotten a lot of the mechanics.

I'm struggling to ignore all the npc dialogue even though I listened to it all before. My damn compulsive rpg interactions trying to slow me down!

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just at the end of chapter 16, and intend to beat hard mode. I've done a lot of reading on it, and have tried to prepare as well as possible by getting lots of materia levelled. It honestly sounds like a bit of a nightmare compared to normal, or am I overthinking it?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just at the end of chapter 16, and intend to beat hard mode. I've done a lot of reading on it, and have tried to prepare as well as possible by getting lots of materia levelled. It honestly sounds like a bit of a nightmare compared to normal, or am I overthinking it?
Most of the game is actually easier on Hard since you have leveled weapons and materia. It only makes some Boss fights a bit trickier.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Started a replay yesterday and the game feels really good with 60fps. Everythings flows and the combat is very satisfying.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
For chapter 17 Just try to use most of your MP only on the boss fights themselves and not the mob fights.
Also knowing specific strategies for each boss fight in this chapter helps a lot.
If go blind things might gte rough, but with proper Materia and weapons you'll have no problems.
The most difficult fights in the game are some of the Arena challenges and not Hard Mode itself.
Even the last chapter is quite easy if you have good Materia and accessories.

Aug 14, 2020
Quick question on unlocking the 'super boss' in FFVII Remake if anyone can help me please:

I've read that I need to complete all of the Corneo cups + the VR challenges in Chapter 16 - can I do these in Normal mode? I know that I need to swap back to Hard in Chapter 17 for Pride & Joy.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Quick question on unlocking the 'super boss' in FFVII Remake if anyone can help me please:

I've read that I need to complete all of the Corneo cups + the VR challenges in Chapter 16 - can I do these in Normal mode? I know that I need to swap back to Hard in Chapter 17 for Pride & Joy.
Yes, you can even do them in Easy mode and it will still count.
The only thing you get if you play them them on Hard are some manuscripts which you 10 SP for certain team members,
but they are not needed for the Platinum

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
So, I completed my playthrough on Hard yesterday and achieved the platinum. I found the experience enjoyable, and quite the challenge. However, there were some frustrating parts... Having a good materia setup is so important on Hard mode, and the need to swap these out all the time was a chore. Chapter 17 was the worst for this, as you switch between the two parties, needing to juggle materia more than ever.

The character setup pain was exacerbated by the times where I had to restart boss attempts, the ones where you get to set up your characters at the end of cutscenes (Hold 'Square' to open menu). When you retry the boss, it places you back before this moment (that's fine), but it will have forgotten your configuration from the last attempt. I had to change my materia, equipment and battle settings every single time.

Hopefully they introduce some QoL features for the next game!

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
That would probably be it then because I hate blocking and forget that it's there, and also haven't switched up elemental powers at all. I'm currently stuck on some stupid looking Kingdom Hearts guy, which I was hoping wouldn't punch it's way into the remake, and I'm probably just going to watch the ending on YouTube. Yuffie seems more complicated than what I wanted.
She's really not that complicated. Throw the shuriken and then mash square to perform Ninjutsu, I blasted through most of the game by just picking the right element and killing enemies at range. For the last boss I actually didn't pick a Ninjutsu, just stayed elementless magic attacks (he resists all elements) and did my best to avoid damage (when an exclamation mark appears on the enemy nameplate it's a queue to get ready to use brumal form, best to have a shortcut for it with L1). I had my limit break in the last phase, used it to destroy his wings and then wrecked him on the follow-up stagger. It was actually fairly anti-climatic.

By watching some speedrun videos it seems that the physical strategy is faster on most notable fights. Throw + retrieve to close the gap and then hammer away, parry is like with Tifa, a great way to cancel and reposition when you extended yourself with one attack too many. Most attacks in the base game and DLC can be dodged or otherwise mitigated, and for those that rapidly parrying to safety doesn't work Brumal Form takes care of them.

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
So, I completed my playthrough on Hard yesterday and achieved the platinum. I found the experience enjoyable, and quite the challenge. However, there were some frustrating parts... Having a good materia setup is so important on Hard mode, and the need to swap these out all the time was a chore. Chapter 17 was the worst for this, as you switch between the two parties, needing to juggle materia more than ever.

The character setup pain was exacerbated by the times where I had to restart boss attempts, the ones where you get to set up your characters at the end of cutscenes (Hold 'Square' to open menu). When you retry the boss, it places you back before this moment (that's fine), but it will have forgotten your configuration from the last attempt. I had to change my materia, equipment and battle settings every single time.

Hopefully they introduce some QoL features for the next game!
I would love them to add materia loadouts that you could swap to using atb. It could be a specific materia you need to equip that only let's you swap to loadouts that also have it or something to make it fit in the materia world. Like paradigm system.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I really wish there was a way to save loadouts, I would have a caster/physical builds for Cloud and Tifa.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on Chapter 12 and I still only have the Ifrit summon. How do I get more?

Also, I've done a bit of side quests and every enemy encounter on the main story - but a lot of my Materia spells are still low level. Final got Curaga or whatever for Cloud, which is great. But I'm still mostly just on level 2 blizzard and thunder. I haven't even found a wind (which made the last boss I did a pain). Feel like I'm not doing a good job staying on top of my abilities development. Suggestions?

That said, this game continues to blow me away. The sense of scale is just absolutely impressive. This game feels SO DAMN BIG and high budget. The production values are crazy. Outside of some questionable textures and NPC models, this game just feels expensive as heck and everything is actually propped up by the game's performance and graphics.

Maybe shallow - but as much as I love the game regardless, this is one of the first times I feel like graphics are truly helping SELL ME on the narrative. The impressive special effects and lighting actually make the game better.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I'm on Chapter 12 and I still only have the Ifrit summon. How do I get more?

Also, I've done a bit of side quests and every enemy encounter on the main story - but a lot of my Materia spells are still low level. Final got Curaga or whatever for Cloud, which is great. But I'm still mostly just on level 2 blizzard and thunder. I haven't even found a wind (which made the last boss I did a pain). Feel like I'm not doing a good job staying on top of my abilities development. Suggestions?
Most of what you're missing is from not doing the enemy intel assignments from Chadley, and you missed a summon in chapter 6 (behind the vent). If you did complete the assignments from Chadley, make sure to buy the materia you unlocked from him, it doesn't go to your inventory automatically. Your magic materia is fine, the -ga version take a lot of MP and are really for endgame stuff with MP UP materia. You should only cast Curaga in a pinch, cure and cura are more mana efficient.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

I didn't complete any of the hard VR challenges in Chapter 17 and still was able to fight Weiss.

I probably did all the corneo cups and chapter 16 fights in normal last year tho.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Most of what you're missing is from not doing the enemy intel assignments from Chadley, and you missed a summon in chapter 6 (behind the vent). If you did complete the assignments from Chadley, make sure to buy the materia you unlocked from him, it doesn't go to your inventory automatically. Your magic materia is fine, the -ga version take a lot of MP and are really for endgame stuff with MP UP materia. You should only cast Curaga in a pinch, cure and cura are more mana efficient.

Ah! I've not actually purposefully done the Chadley stuff, but I do know I've organically finished a few of his requests. I'll check in with him and see what I have. Thanks for the advice!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yo, I equipped a magic sword on Cloud as well as the two magic up materias, and during the boss fight, I noticed that Cloud's MP cost for spells was lower by like 20%.

Does the magic stat affect MP cost?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Aaaand done on the main story. I loved the game overall, but some of the story beats have me going "hmm." I'm interested to see what the plan is for this.

Now to think about my hard mode playthrough.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Amazing!

I've been getting my shit pushed in fighting him the normal way and people are doing shit like this??

I need to know this person's materia loadout lol. I'm not above cheesing (I cheesed Lingering Will in KH2 with Negative Combo/Fenrir and not afraid to admit it).

Edit: oh it's at the end, got it. Still, it's a bit hard to see exactly wtf he's doing to get that stagger high so quick.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting my shit pushed in fighting him the normal way and people are doing shit like this??

I need to know this person's materia loadout lol. I'm not above cheesing (I cheesed Lingering Will in KH2 with Negative Combo/Fenrir and not afraid to admit it).

Edit: oh it's at the end, got it. Still, it's a bit hard to see exactly wtf he's doing to get that stagger high so quick.
True Strike + Unique Ability spam bolstered by ATB boost and other ATB materia like Skill Master.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Played from chapter 2 until the end of chapter 4 yesterday and a year later it is still a great game. The improved volumetric lighting was great at the start of chapter 2, it really added to the atmosphere.
The photo mode is a bit lacking imho, you really don't have a lot of possibilites.

You can even see bullet shells, looks so good. I like the facial expression of Cloud.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I went and forgot to buy the Mythril Saber like a noob on my fresh save run. Thankfully the Shinra item shop sells all buyable weapons you might have missed, so I only missed it for two chapters where caster Cloud would have really shone (I bullied all the bosses anyways, game is very easy on normal when you master the combat system).

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Got the very frustrating Biker Boy trophy (had to knock the game down to easy), and finished up chapter 1 on hard mode. I can see where the challenge is going to be, but it wasn't the hell I imagined, especially coming in at level 39 and not every materia maxed.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The back and forth between Barret and the shinra guys on the train is so bad lol, some of the dialogue in this game really is terrible..

Music is superb though, not sure if it's Barret's theme? Whatever the music in Coral is called

Edit - it's Shinra Creed I'm thinking of

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm now on Chapter 13, and I know there are only a handful more remaining.

So far, they've done a great job of making just Midgar feel like a worthwhile title. I was honestly certain it'd be padded to hell or the pacing would be off or the game would feel hyper short - but I was wrong.

That said, for the last year (but before I played this), I was sure this would be a trilogy. Just makes sense. Seems how most games go. Seems like the obvious default choice. But the more I think on it, the more I can imagine "Remake" being a collection of five (or possibly even more) games? With FFVIIR almost becoming its own series. You could easily expand the original into at least four games - so five is do-able with creativity. Then imagine an epilogue entry (especially something that maybe
ties the two games together

I always knew it'd be another 4-5 years, at least, before I'd wrap up the Remake entries. But now I'm sitting here seriously thinking we could be seeing the conclusion in 2030+ on the late PS6 or beyond.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
In case it helps anyone I deconstructed the Weiss world record video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEDR1ge6-S0

The setup is (maybe 1-2 mistakes):
Cloud: time + magnify, magic up, refocus X2, first strike, synergy + fire, bahamut
Tifa Luck Up X2, atb boost, ATB stagger, ice, atb assist, refocus, steadfast block, parry, skill master, shiva
Aerith elemental + fire, first strike, mp up, skill master, ice lightning, magic up, barrier X 2, leviathan

The actions taken are :
Parry X2 to close the gap block X3
ATB boost
cloud Blizzaga
Aerith Blizzara
Parry backwards to dodge Evisceration into Tifa Blizzara
attack string until 1 ATB bar
Focused strike into attack into another focused strike and attack (staggers)
Aerith Arcane Ward on Aerith (covers Cloud too)
True Strike X 2
Uppercut X 2 (as soon as second one registers input below)
Aerith Tundaga
Uppercut
True Strike X2
Uppercut
Aerith Thundaga
Attack string
True Strike
Weiss defeated

Watched it at 0.25 speed, if anyone spots something I miss please correct.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weiss using Immaculate End twice in a row is fucking bullshit.

I've been at it for about 2 hours and still can't do it. I guess I fucking suck, even though I beat everything else on Hard in the base game.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
At chapter 15. Game looks great - however, I'm not a fan of multiple sewers and underground locations which look very similar. I understand that this is largely due to how Midgar would look - so I really wonder how the game would look once they move outside of Midgar