• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its their money, they can use it how they want.

Is this just that odd cultural exchange between Japan and France, or are teenagers just more into manga these days?
These days?
Anime and Manga have been huge in France since Goldorak (Grendizer) back in 1978, and the big revival with Dragon Ball, Ken, Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon in the late 80's, while Akira got a promo like no other in 1990 with a theater release of the movie, and a deluxe hardcover edition of the Manga at Glenat (which also published Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell in such deluxe editions).

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's funny. People thought digital would kill physical books, but it seems people are retreating back to physical objects due to screen fatigue.

I think there's more to it then that. Manga has been very easy to pirate for many years thanks to scanlation sites. To combat this the biggest manga publishers have made a lot of the most popular manga free same day as Japan or at a subscription to read the backlog. This really devalues digital volumes since why would you pay $7-15 for a single volume on the same app that you could have read the entire series already for a monthly subscription? Physical manga volumes are also a great gift since they're fairly inexpensive and pop as a gift.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
How is this not on the first page? lol

RNe9Vz2.jpeg

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I was about to say this. Not France, but Quebec, but when I first moved here I was amazed to find all of Jojo part 3 translated into French in a local manga shop. There wasn't even an English localization yet, but the French already had one!
Yeah, i also remember that Oyasumi Punpun had french releases waaaaaay before any english release.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly would have done the same thing, too bad I'm too old haha
Yeah we do love mangas here.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
France is a huge manga market so it's not really surprising.

It'll probably make cry far right idiots so good news.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, we've been into mangas easily since the 80s. Thanks to a very popular kids show that was buying animes massively on the cheap to broadcast them (even if usually heavily censored, Ken the Survivor had surprisingly short episodes and heavily changed dialogs for instance, weirdly :p ).

So yeah, the french population under 40 is usually quite fan of mangas and animes. Teens using some given cash to buy mangas is hardly surprising.

France like japanese culture and Japan likes french culture. It goes both way actually.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yup, we've been into mangas easily since the 80s. Thanks to a very popular kids show that was buying animes massively on the cheap to broadcast them (even if usually heavily censored, Ken the Survivor had surprisingly short episodes and heavily changed dialogs for instance, weirdly :p ).

So yeah, the french population under 40 is usually quite fan of mangas and animes. Teens using some given cash to buy mangas is hardly surprising.

France like japanese culture and Japan likes french culture. It goes both way actually.
Yeah, I remember seeing a lot of Japanese tourists in Paris when I went.

Remember travel? lol

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
France has a big comics culture in general with things like BDs; pretty cool that comics folks and even comic strip creators and cartoonists are regarded as legit artists in France.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
I can already see it in Luxembourg that it has a strong Comic and Manga scene, it helps that it is next to France and Belgium. There's a festival in Contern where you get tons of BDs and I like to go there. For what I know, in Germany Mangas aren't that popular but Anime is, the older and the newer generation grew up on Studio Ghibli series and are more open to that stuff.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I was coming to this thread just to confirm my initial thoughts from reading the title: it's France, they love manga, makes perfect sense.

I leave this thread now with a new life goal: move to France and find someone cool with the last name Sega and marry them. Wish me luck!

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll probably make cry far right idiots so good news.

Sadly it's the whole otherway around. The far right loves that us comics are selling horribly and manga is selling like cake.

They think it's the whole "go woke go broke" thing. After DC and Marvel tried hard to bring in lbgtq+ heroes and stories they are thrilled that nobody is buying these new comics.

Demon Slayer alone outsold everything DC released in 2020...

So no, the far right is very happy with this.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
French comics are amazing too, so I can totally see the love for the medium.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
PARIS — When the French government launched a smartphone app that gives 300 euros to every 18-year-old in the country for cultural purchases like books and music, or exhibition and performance tickets, most young people's impulse wasn't to buy Proust's greatest works or to line up and see Molière.

Instead, France's teenagers flocked to manga.
Said like it should be surprising. Yeah sorry NYT our kids aren't re-reading Germinal on their free time.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing Civ VI of late. They totally ought to have had anime/manga related wonders or civics that boosted your chance of a cultural victory.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a wonderful program. I wonder what teens in the US would spend the money on?

Mar 21, 2018
Considering Monet and other Impressionist's obsession with Japan, including the ukiyo-e ink prints which are kinda like proto-manga, this is hardly surprisin.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
As is the case in the US, manga in France is seeing a boom.

Y3SlXT2.png
Graph is units-based.
"BD jeunesse" is Franco-belgian comics aimed at children (think Astérix)
"BD de genres" is, well, basically everything else

And young people are a main driver of that

3kOQa54.png
Data from October 2019 to September 2020.

15-29 yo buying Manga represent 25% of the total comics market.

And it's growing even more in 2021. In Q1 2021, manga represented over 50% of all comics sold, a first.
For the past 10 years (before 2020), One Piece had been the only manga to sell over a million units in a single year (doing so every year). In 2020, 3 series did so (OP, Naruto and My Hero Academia). In 2021, it's likely that 5 series have already reached a million units sold (OP, Naruto, MHA, Demon Slayer and Attack on Titan). That number should rise to at least 8 by the end of the year (I'm thinking of Jujutsu Kaisen, The Promised Neverland and Fairy Tail, but maybe even more series could reach that threshold!).
One Piece was the best-selling comic series of the 2010s in France. Above Astérix. 4 manga were in the top 10.

01./ One Piece
02./ Astérix
03./ Naruto
04./ Fairy Tail
05./ Tintin
06./ Les LĂ©gendaires
07./ Blake et Mortimer
08./ The Walking Dead
09./ Mortelle Adèle
10./ My Hero Academia

One Piece went from selling 1m-1.3m yearly between 2010 and 2019 to around 2m in 2020. Before 2020, the record for best-selling manga series in a single year was held by Naruto, at around 1.6m in 2007. It's likely to have already sold as many units in the 7 months of 2021 as it did in all of 2020. Considering Christmas is yet to come, it could potentially reach 4m units sold for the year.
More than doubling the previous yearly record.

*Both pics were made by Xavier Guilbert for the "Panorama de la BD en France : 2010 - 2020" ("Overview of the comics market in France: 2010-2020")

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I mean when there is a japan/france soccer match, you can expect half kids to be for Japan really! That's how Weaboo we are!

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Its their money, they can use it how they want.

Is this just that odd cultural exchange between Japan and France, or are teenagers just more into manga these days?
these days.
lol

It's like that since the 80's.
We buy as much manga as we can afford to and as much as the publishers localize.

I was about to say this. Not France, but Quebec, but when I first moved here I was amazed to find all of Jojo part 3 translated into French in a local manga shop. There wasn't even an English localization yet, but the French already had one!
Fun story about Jojo, I think that it was translated in French and it kinda failed so hard that for a long time a publisher had the rights and just didn't bother translating more because it just wasn't selling.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Dragonball Z premiered in France six years before the US; I'm sure I owe my weeb status in part to growing up in that country.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That must hurt the French chauvinism, with the continued government push for more French media on TV/in cinema.
60fbc3842600000a7c523989.jpg

LOL
The president just got a signed drawing from Oda.
He's One Piece fan.

Going farther than that former president Jacques Chirac was also all about eastern culture and Japanese culture in particular.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
TIL Sega is a last name, and Googling it, notable Sega's include Ronald Sega, a NASA astronaut who was part of the first US/Russia space shuttle mission.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Manga is obviously culture.

Some years ago (2016) I worked at Paris with French librarians and academics. There was an intense debate among them around what should be offered in public libraries: one side thought that only "legitimate" culture had a place there. They were firmly convinced about the mandatory status of the classics (Greek philosophers, Victor Hugo, Hemingway, etc.) but viscerally despised something like Dragon Ball.

Others believed that these institutions should listen to popular demand and be prepared to include newer, less sacred cultural products, like manga, trap or videogames.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
classical art is just popular art + time.
It doesn't have to be popular at the time it was created though.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
60fbc3842600000a7c523989.jpg

LOL
The president just got a signed drawing from Oda.
He's One Piece fan.

Going farther than that former president Jacques Chirac was also all about eastern culture and Japanese culture in particular.

That's pretty cool print. For as popular as manga is, it's hard af to get signatures of any kind.

dcwOcQM.jpg