• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Alright I'll be this thread's AC representative:
Yes! I still play every day! I still enjoy the game a lot. Here's my daily task list:

-Get my fossils, assess them and sell them.
-Check who my daily visitor is (if it's not Redd, ignore)
-Check my campsite for new villagers
-Give gifts to any villagers whose photos I don't have yet
-Talk to my villagers

This takes me about 20. I do it in the morning while drinking coffee.

I still find a lot of the villagers, dialogues and interactions very cute and charming, even after 1200 hours, Yes, I wish there was new content. But what's there, I enjoy.
I did this recently after not having played the game since like last winter. It was easy to get back into my daily tasks/routines, but at the same time, it also felt like nothing had changed. So after a couple days, I quit again. I'm not really sure what I want out of the game anymore, but that's OK... I did have a wonderful time with it in its early months. It's exactly what I needed.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If they're not even making videos for these anymore it's probably safe to say it's nearing the end of its life.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Alright I'll be this thread's AC representative:
Yes! I still play every day! I still enjoy the game a lot. Here's my daily task list:

-Get my fossils, assess them and sell them.
-Check who my daily visitor is (if it's not Redd, ignore)
-Check my campsite for new villagers
-Give gifts to any villagers whose photos I don't have yet
-Talk to my villagers

This takes me about 20. I do it in the morning while drinking coffee.

I still find a lot of the villagers, dialogues and interactions very cute and charming, even after 1200 hours, Yes, I wish there was new content. But what's there, I enjoy.
This is more or less my daily routine as well, although I don't ignore the Gulls

I think I've missed maybe 2 days total since the game came out

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
they really gave up on adding any sort of meaningful content to this game, huh? I log in once a month to clear out the weeds and dig some holes and then ask myself whats the point?

I haven't even fully upgraded my house or anything like that but I sure lost interest in this one far quicker than previous entries. I thought they were bringing back old characters, adding back in old mechanics that were missing, etc. Guess not huh?

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get people's attitude towards this game. It's not a live service game. If it was there would be someway for them to earn recurring revenue from it, you don't endlessly develop large amounts of content for no benefit

You're either going to get minor free updates or you're going to get paid / MTX driven content - and people will bitch about it either way

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
What I miss the most in this game is shopping, since you can craft a lot of stuff, the shopping selection is ridiculous, and so the shop upgrades are also very disappointing.
I need my Emporium lol
Hanging out with friends at Club LOL was also pretty great.
On the other hand, gyroids.
I had so much fun making gyroids rooms work, yeah I do miss them a lot.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Good to know that they're working on more updates. I could use a reason to revisit Merhaba (my island).

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get people's attitude towards this game. It's not a live service game. If it was there would be someway for them to earn recurring revenue from it, you don't endlessly develop large amounts of content for no benefit

You're either going to get minor free updates or you're going to get paid / MTX driven content - and people will bitch about it either way
I think this is a false dichotomy, there are lots of games that give big free updates. No Man's Sky doesn't have any MTX that I'm aware of for example.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019

Nintendo set the launch of the game that way, argue with them. I'm sure most of us would have preferred a Wild World/New Leaf approach with all the content available from day one.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
They can put as much content as they can in but I won't get truly excited for one of these announcements until one includes the much-needed QoL updates. Actually playing the game is frustrating enough to me that adding more content, and in turn more things to waste hours crafting/buying/going-through-endless-speech-boxes-ing, is like giving me more of a meal I don't really like eating.
This is actually maddening. For the players who have put in hundreds of hours, they must have seen those pointless texts thousands of times. The online was also insanity with it forcing a 1 or 2 min pause every time someone drops in or out

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

It's not a typical GaS. Nintendo uses it to release games early before they have all the content they would have at release in previous generations. In past games shops and stuff would update based on player progress, but with NH we have to wait for Nintendo to update the game.

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't based on anything. This is a 30+ million selling game. If they need to spend more time to get DLC out they have all the time they need. Even if a fraction of the userbase leaves for good there will still be plenty of people playing
Yea, I really don't understand the theory about the pandemic throwing them off. It sold well, and if they needed more time then just give more time for the "big" stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Are there people who still play this game?
Question: what do you even do in the game?
To me it felt like I've seen pretty much everything interesting that the game had to offer like 3 weeks in. It started feeling like a daily chore.

I log in about once a month to weed the island and get bitched at by the residents because I've been avoiding them for months heh.

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing it again actually, just 20 mins of my day to enjoy doing little things. I think that turnip market really killed it for me, so going back and just not touching my millions in the bank and only using what I make from day to day tasks is fun

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the NoA Twitter talked like Isabelle does

I'd love to know about when Waluigi found his missing sock for the 10th time

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have a Wild World remaster/re-release at this point. It was all downhill from there for me.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
I had been checking in semi-daily (mainly to see if Redd was on my island and actually selling a new, legit piece of art 🥲), but I feel off in a big way when I started playing Monster Hunter Stories 2.

Excited for new stuff down the line, I guess, but man, the big drop-off in support this game experienced really makes me sad.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile in Pocket Camp:

E7ThmrvXECEamCl

I barely, barely gave them a pass for summer being so anemic last year because of the pandemic, but they legit aren't even bothering any more, meanwhile Pocket Camp continues to get great new items added on a regular basis that would actually give purpose to being able to change up your entire town at will. What does New Horizons get? A freaking Eggplant Cow and a Whoopie Cushion in the space of MONTHS.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I know Pocket Camp is a cash grab, but you know a cool feature from it that I wish ACNH had? The cute little items you decorate you camp with, even if you cannot interact with them, your campers CAN. And it's cute to see them singing or playing an instrument or enjoying some snacks randomly around your camp.

Why can't ACNH which is supposed to be the better game have that? I have all these items I buy from the town hall kiosk installed around my island and no one does anything with it.

Also where is my Alpine, Sweets and Messy furniture sets, Nintendo?

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Nope, that was datamined. But it never came to fruition. The one new thing they did add, was pumpkins. But that is only in fall, really only being used for Halloween. Which, isn't really exactly robust or anything. It was new, I give you that. But that feels like a drop in the bucket compared to what is missing.
What's missing from 3ds?

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Thank goodness, this game got boring so much faster than pretty much every other Animal Crossing with so much missing and the new features (terraforming and crafting, bleh) missing the mark for me. Hope some of the old furniture sets start coming back, and maybe some of the missing NPCs like Katrina, Gracie, Digby, Dr. Shrunk, and, of course, Brewster.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019

E7ThmrvXECEamCl

I barely, barely gave them a pass for summer being so anemic last year because of the pandemic, but they legit aren't even bothering any more, meanwhile Pocket Camp continues to get great new items added on a regular basis that would actually give purpose to being able to change up your entire town at will. What does New Horizons get? A freaking Eggplant Cow and a Whoopie Cushion in the space of MONTHS.
Btw how is Pocket Camp these days? Haven't played it since launch.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Not even a video trailer? This thing is getting de prioritized hard, which is a shame considering how massively successful it was.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I enjoy it a lot still. The furniture is good, events have gotten even easier to finish (even without the Helper plan subscription, which I don't use), and you get enough free Fortune Cookies (the gacha element) to get some exciting new stuff. If you can wait to save for Cookies you really want, the Leaf Ticket currency situation is pretty reasonable. Personally, I have over 800+ LT after having just used about 500 for donut furniture, with tons of LT maps ready if I need them, and I'm F2P.

Legitimately, I have more enjoyment out of PC than New Horizons at this point, since at least my camp and cabin can look nice in Pocket Camp where there is actually furniture worth a damn lol.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Im not one that thinks NH is content lacking. I got over 200 hours of playtime. I loved it and kinda moved on. That being said they gotta do something more than just furniture. There needs to be new activities for single player play and multiplayer. You gather resources, build stuff, place the stuff, sell stuff, and talk to your villagers. Thats pretty much it. Game needs to add to the loop of things to do. And more stuff for your villagers to do! why can't the villagers use the pools in my town? Or the swing set and monkey bars? I don't expect to be able to use them but it would add so much life to the game for the villagers.

And them just posting on twitter that there is an update coming in a few days and other stuff coming later in the year doesn't cut it.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017

E7ThmrvXECEamCl

I like Pocket Camp, but it's pretty disingenuous to compare New Horizons to it. For one, at least half the furniture/clothing in that image is only obtainable from gacha mechanics or premium currency. You only have a 3% chance to get the best gacha items, and a single pull takes the equivalent of about 2 USD. The premium clothing cost upwards of $6 each. Yes, you get occasional free fortune cookies and some free premium currency, but it's not like you'd be able to get everything in that image without coughing up dough.

The other half of furniture in the image is from the events that basically require you to log in every 3 hours over the course of a week. It's not the worst grind compared to other mobile games, but the gameplay is definitely superficial and not very interesting. There's also the issue of space. Pocket Camp doesn't give you much space to decorate, so you end up with all of these neat items but nowhere to put it.

Pocket Camp is fine for what it is, but I would never want those mechanics in a mainline AC game.

AvianAviator

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jun 23, 2021
Is it only the fireworks update? Well, I missed it last year so I'll check it out this time.

Are there people who still play this game?
Question: what do you even do in the game?
To me it felt like I've seen pretty much everything interesting that the game had to offer like 3 weeks in. It started feeling like a daily chore.
My island still doesn't look "perfect" to me, so I pick it up occasionally to chip away at that.
I also play it whenever I'm feeling down and need something lighthearted.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
For the of god just start doing DLC packs if that's what it takes to get actual new meaningful content and items back in the game. I still can't believe how big of a let down this game ended up being. I can't believe they pushed terraforming so hard only for it to be the most arduous and tedious process in the game.

Aug 12, 2019
I think it's insanely frustrating as a long time AC fan to be engaging with the game at this point. It does evolve a ton of things and make some great decisions, but it feels like the game still lacks so much character, so many fundamental events, and just failed to bring a lot of new content in the same way its predecessors did and Nintendo seems to have zero intention of expanding on the game in any meaningful way. The last meaningful update felt like the Diving Update in last July that expanded the game and what you could do. And since then, it feels like the game is just spinning its wheels with extremely lackluster events and a lot of questionable features. The Dream Suite feels entirely butchered relative to how New Leaf did it and removes so much of the character behind the Dream Suite. Gyroids are still MIA. Most of the missing major NPCs have still not had an opportunity to show up, and we're still missing things like further store upgrades or other mechanics that would keep long-term players more engaged in working towards something than the daily busy work and constant island modification. Both of which are heavily handicapped by a complete lack of Quality of Life features. There's no end game to this game like there once was, so there's no reason to continue playing.

This game started in such a fundamentally frontloaded and character weakened state, and I really hoped they would resolve that somewhat across updates. But after Redd and the art museum and diving, there's just been nothing for an older fan to sink their teeth into. QoL has still not been addressed for the overwhelming majority of things, updates have been very minor to the point of feeling like non factors, and there's so much of Animal Crossing's core identity that feels fundamentally missing.

Not to mention, the sterilization of the villagers is such a fundamentally massive blow to the replayability of the game that is just never going to get fixed unless Nintendo has some larger overhaul in mind. Which I severely doubt. There's so much core AC identity just missing at this point, and I honestly don't expect to ever see it.

Sure, I got my money's worth and I suppose I'm not allowed to complain beyond that or whatever. But it was a game that had so much opportunity and it feels like the worst AC game outside of maybe Wild World at this point, and even that's a tight race for me. There was so much excitement, but a year plus later despite it being one of the best selling games Nintendo has ever had period that made the franchise a mainstream juggernaut and Nintendo is still being Nintendo about it. I get COVID happened and probably messed a lot of things up for them, but Nintendo also sold 32 million copies of the game, so I think it's valid to maybe point out that they can do more and keep building the game and by extension the brand. Or at the very least, just do some basic QoL stuff to make the experience less tedious and painful to dedicated fans who have spoken up about so many things that have gone unaddressed.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I think this game might be one of my all time biggest disappointments

so so so much potential and yet…

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I played it was during the cross-promotion stuff for New Horizons and honestly I thought it was vapid, no idea if they've improved things in the last year or so but as much as I love the items the game was absolutely not for me.

I like Pocket Camp, but it's pretty disingenuous to compare New Horizons to it. For one, at least half the furniture/clothing in that image is only obtainable from gacha mechanics or premium currency. You only have a 3% chance to get the best gacha items, and a single pull takes the equivalent of about 2 USD. The premium clothing cost upwards of $6 each. Yes, you get occasional free fortune cookies and some free premium currency, but it's not like you'd be able to get everything in that image without coughing up dough.

The other half of furniture in the image is from the events that basically require you to log in every 3 hours over the course of a week. It's not the worst grind compared to other mobile games, but the gameplay is definitely superficial and not very interesting. There's also the issue of space. Pocket Camp doesn't give you much space to decorate, so you end up with all of these neat items but nowhere to put it.

Pocket Camp is fine for what it is, but I would never want those mechanics in a mainline AC game.
Where exactly did I compare PC to NH in terms of anything but updates?

New Horizons' updates are nothing but 1 or 2 minor items per month that suck big time. A whoopie cushion or a mug for example, there is nothing of value for decorating your town (supposedly the endgame draw). Meanwhile Pocket Camp has ridiculously cool stuff like fox shrines, festival stalls and such, a lot of which villagers can actually interact with - but it's all tied into a gacha machine that has no real gameplay. NH could be getting a few castoff 3D model ports from 4 year old PC events and it'd STILL be a million times better than what Nintendo are actually giving players.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the camp where I want my villagers to tell me something new the first time I speak to them every day I log in.

I know Pocket Camp is a cash grab, but you know a cool feature from it that I wish ACNH had? The cute little items you decorate you camp with, even if you cannot interact with them, your campers CAN. And it's cute to see them singing or playing an instrument or enjoying some snacks randomly around your camp.

Why can't ACNH which is supposed to be the better game have that? I have all these items I buy from the town hall kiosk installed around my island and no one does anything with it.

Also where is my Alpine, Sweets and Messy furniture sets, Nintendo?
I don't know anything about Pocket Camp, but in New Horizons, if you put out a microphone stand and instruments, villagers will definitely interact with them, especially if there's music playing nearby. As far as snacks are concerned, some villagers can be seen sitting around randomly eating their own snacks.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Should he mandatory in every ACNH "update" thread until something meaningful is added. I get covid threw off everything but damn, how hard is it to just yeet stuff from the pocket camp team and throw it into NH?
At this point, I really don't think we can blame it all on covid. It appears that they really just weren't prioritizing more content. Really disappointing that the game launched half baked and is still missing lots of stuff from past games. It's a great game—I played over 400 hours—and it's a disappointing game, too.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Where exactly did I compare PC to NH in terms of anything but updates?

New Horizons' updates are nothing but 1 or 2 minor items per month that suck big time. A whoopie cushion or a mug for example, there is nothing of value for decorating your town (supposedly the endgame draw). Meanwhile Pocket Camp has ridiculously cool stuff like fox shrines, festival stalls and such, a lot of which villagers can actually interact with - but it's all tied into a gacha machine that has no real gameplay. NH could be getting a few castoff 3D model ports from 4 year old PC events and it'd STILL be a million times better than what Nintendo are actually giving players.
PC gets regular updates and new furniture because it's being propped up by whales who spend thousands of dollars on it trying to get all of the gacha/premium currency items. I completely agree that the NH updates have been lackluster and unacceptable, but there's no point in comparing the updates to PC because it's built on an entirely different monetization system.

Ironically, Pocket Camp was pretty much on life support before New Horizons came out. They were regularly putting out recolored furniture, making the events more grindy, and having frequent premium currency sales until NH came out and brought a lot of new players to PC.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely believe we are going to get a "Welcome Amiibo" style update for New Horizons at some point. It will be a way to re-engage lapsed players and bring in a new audience, especially if it is paired with a Switch price cut or Nintendo Selects line. Welcome Amiibo revitalized New Leaf sales on store shelves and extended the longevity of Animal Crossing on 3ds without having to make a brand new game. I see New Horizons going the same route. As long as it is free for current players, that's fine by me.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
PC gets regular updates and new furniture because it's being propped up by whales who spend thousands of dollars on it trying to get all of the gacha/premium currency items. I completely agree that the NH updates have been lackluster and unacceptable, but there's no point in comparing the updates to PC because it's built on an entirely different monetization system.
This same old counter argument comes out time after time as to why New Horizons can't actually ever get any decent items. Someone had to model and make that stupid whoopie cushion. Someone had to model and animate that boba tea and cotton candy in the summer update. They've put more effort into creating new items that nobody cares about than they would have by just porting existing models across from years old Pocket Camp items and passing it off as a big new event.

They're not going to lose noticeable income from PC by putting some of the old items in a totally different game. Every other successful gacha game starts making old items available far more freely once income from them has fallen off a cliff after a couple of reruns, because they recognise their money making potential has been depleted. What they would be able to do though is maintain a much better long term image for New Horizons instead of leaving it in the sorry state its current in. And if New Horizons really isn't worth even that, then it shows how little interest they actually have in supporting the game long term.

Aside from that, quite frankly I'd be willing to pay ÂŁ30 for a meaningful expansion pack to NH that adds items of PC quality and actually brings the QoL updates people have been begging for since launch. If the free updates are going to continue being so pathetic that they aren't worth coming back to the game for, I'd rather just pay up and get something worthwhile.

Oct 27, 2017
I still play it fairly regularly, going on a year since I bought it now. It's fine but it's more habit than anything compelling these days.

Also one thing no one ever seems to mention: the dogshit performance, at least on Switch Lite. I've customised my island quite extensively which I've enjoyed and decorated it with lots of cool items - but now the frame rate is through the floor in certain areas and it really hampers enjoyment.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
This would sting a lot less if Pocket Camp wasn't getting amazing stuff every single month.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I don't think people here realize how much content is actually in New Horizons.

Just because the furniture you remember the most from New Leaf isn't in the game doesn't mean that it has a paltry furniture selection.
We have numbers though. NH had 1057 furniture items at launch compared to 1271 in NL at launch. The Welcome Amiibo update added another 493. And 160 of the furniture items in NH are literally just models of all the fish and bugs. If you remove those (let's be honest, they didn't strain themselves by attaching bases to the models they'd already made), NH had like three quarters of what NL had at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm still happily playing it after 1,050 hours without complaining at all. Some people just aren't happy with anything. Acting like New Horizons is somehow worse than any game that came before it is ridiculous.
It's really not ridiculous. YOU may be satisfied, and that's fine! But it's still missing villagers, tons of NPCs, tons of furniture and items, and other substantial features New Leaf, and it has the worst villager interactions in the series. Really, outside of island customizations (which for some people is the most important thing, fine), it's compares poorly to New Leaf in almost every conceivable way.