• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
www.engadget.com

G4 will return to TV on November 16th

You can watch 'Attack of the Show!,' 'Xplay' and other shows on cable and streaming services.

Seven years after it disappeared, G4 has a return date. The gaming and fandom TV network will be revived on November 16th on Xfinity TV, Cox and Verizon Fios (Verizon is Engadget's former parent company). You'll be able to stream the network on Philo too.

G4 also has a multi-year promotional and commercial deal with Twitch. The network will keep making dedicated content for social media channels, including YouTube, as well.

Classic G4 series Attack of the Show! and Xplay are returning with their respective former hosts, Kevin Pereira and Adam Sessler. A weekly show called Boosted will focus on esports coverage, and you'll be able to watch ESL esports events such as IEM Katowice 2022. Also on the docket are a series in which G4 talent and guests play Dungeons & Dragons, along with all 167 episodes of Ninja Warrior (aka Sasuke).

As well as Pereira and Sessler, the G4 talent roster includes esports figures Alex "Goldenboy" Mendez, Ovilee May and Indiana "Froskurinn" Black; YouTube creators Kassem G, Jirard "The Completionist" Khalil and Gina Darling; Twitch streamers Fiona Nova and Will Neff; and WWE wrestler and gaming personality Xavier Woods (aka Austin Creed).

PepeElToro

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been watching their twitch streams since Will Neff joined. Pretty excited to see their new shows.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So will the Twitch stream and the cable stream be identical?

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Very cool, more info here: https://g4tv.com/g4-launch-nov16

Los Angeles, CA – October 12, 2021 – G4, the content studio and network that unites creators and fandoms, announced today the network will officially return to consumers on linear television and through streaming services on November 16, 2021.

Upon launch, G4 will debut linearly on the channel lineups of Verizon Fios, Cox, and Xfinity TV. The network will also stream on Philo and collaborate with Twitch on a multi-year promotional and commercial partnership through G4's official Twitch channel. G4 will also continue to create channel-specific content across its social media platforms and YouTube.

"Since the initial announcement of G4's revival at Comic-Con @ Home last year, we've been in constant dialogue with our audience through the content we've produced," said Russell Arons, President, G4. "We made a promise to fans that we would build this network with their input and are proud to say that our promise has been kept. At G4, we never stopped playing and can't wait to have our fans join us in our hilarious and fairly preposterous sandbox on November 16."

"G4 was a pioneer for video games on television for twelve years, long before businesses were focused on gaming. The credibility that comes with that cannot be manufactured," said Josh Cella, Chief Revenue Officer, G4/Spectacor Gaming. "As we gear up to launch, we are excited to unlock our portfolio of talent, creative marketing platforms, interactive programming and an innovative distribution model for business partners."

G4 programming will be produced and delivered through a first-of-its-kind 24/7 broadcast studio, featuring a collaborative workplace and professional esports and gaming environment. Designed by global architectural firm Populous, the studio is located in Burbank, California. Other notable design projects from Populous include Yankee Stadium, Red Bull HQ, and Esports Stadium Arlington.

G4's programming slate at launch will include a wide range of content, including new editions of beloved legacy G4 shows, exclusive content, top interviews, and more, including:

• Attack of the Show!: The original geek culture variety show returns with host Kevin Pereira and a brand new cavalcade of misfits. Irreverent and unscripted, Attack of the Show!is a welcoming place for any fan who wants to spend a couple of hours laughing, watching epic stunts and hilarious sketches, and deep-diving into the latest trends of the internet. From hilarious web videos to memes, to streaming of all types, to celebrity guests, to the weirdest tech, Attack of the Show! is still the show that gets it before it gets out.
  • Xplay: Xplay used an extra life! The ultimate video game review show returns as a digital-first content brand that balances an authoritative loudmouth confidence with the absurdity of a public-access comedy sketch show, all while (somehow) maintaining enough credibility to book interviews with top industry luminaries. Xplay is expanding the conversation with insightful and irreverent explorations into every game worth your time: AAA, indie, mobile, VR, retro… it's all on the table. Adam Sessler is back, joined by a group of hilarious experts, to bring a brutally honest voice to the modern gaming scene.
  • Boosted: Boosted is a weekly esports comedy series for curious gamers and esports fanatics alike. Boosted is that moment in-game when you realize you're the worst player in the lobby. We want to revel in the entry-level as we approach gaming and esports as interns guided by our executive-level experts. Boosted will cover the latest trends, news, and tournaments in the esports world every week.
  • Ninja Warrior: The quest to summit Mt. Midoriyama returns as G4 attains the exclusive linear broadcasting rights to SASUKE, better known as Ninja Warrior in the United States, from Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. (TBS). G4 will air all 167 episodes of the legendary competition series that pits heroic athletes of all types from pro gymnasts, to fishermen, to comedians against a four-stage, formidable, and/or impossible obstacle course. G4 will also present three tournaments never-before-seen in the United States, SASUKE 35, 36, and 37.
  • ESL Gaming: G4 has partnered with ESL Gaming, the world's leading esports and gaming lifestyle company, to produce and broadcast several prime-time esports programs, a first for ESL Gaming in the US and Canada. G4's exclusive linear broadcast rights make it the premier destination for ESL Pro Tour events including the IEM Katowice 2022.
  • Dungeons & Dragons Limited Series: Coming off the immense success of D&D Live 2021 featuring notable celebrities like Jack Black, Tiffany Haddish, Kevin Smith, and DrLupo, G4 will continue its partnership with Wizards of the Coast with an all-new, limited-run series to premiere on G4 this Fall. The series will follow four campaigns with a mix of G4 talent, veteran D&D players, and celebrities for a new generation of D&D fans.

Additional distribution, programming and content partnerships will be announced closer to the network launch.

Joining G4 for its official launch is an eclectic mix of notable talent from the gaming and entertainment industries, including returning G4 hosts Kevin Pereira and Adam Sessler; esports personalities Alex "Goldenboy" Mendez (host of NBC's Titan Games), Ovilee May, and Froskurinn; WWE Superstar Xavier Woods AKA Austin Creed; Youtube personalities Kassem G, Jirard "The Completionist" Khalil, and Gina Darling; Popular Twitch streamers Fiona Nova and Will Neff; rising vStreamer CodeMiko; and a degenerate rat-puppet named Ratty.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

That's what it sounds like but their press release could probably be a bit more clear.

g4tv.com

G4tv.com - Video Games, Comedy, Creators & Culture

G4 is the content studio and network that unites creators and fandoms to celebrate comedy, gaming and popular culture. Authentic to its legendary roots, G4 returns with classic shows and brand-new original content driven by a passion to entertain, unite and inspire gaming’s enthusiastic and...

G4 TO LAUNCH ON VERIZON FIOS, COX, XFINITY TV, PHILO AND TWITCH

Los Angeles, CA – October 12, 2021 – G4, the content studio and network that unites creators and fandoms, announced today the network will officially return to consumers on linear television and through streaming services on November 16, 2021.

Upon launch, G4 will debut linearly on the channel lineups of Verizon Fios, Cox, and Xfinity TV. The network will also stream on Philo and collaborate with Twitch on a multi-year promotional and commercial partnership through G4's official Twitch channel.

My assumption is that AotS and X-Play (for example) will stream on Twitch and be on television. Would be weird otherwise.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering what was going to come out of this. Didn't expect it to come back as a tv channel, but twitch is the only way it makes sense this day and age. Hopefully it fares better this time and doesn't become a dumping ground for Cops/Cheaters reruns again.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I feel pretty content on the way I consume video game coverage nowadays, so honestly might not check out the new shows the same way I did back in the 2000s.

But I remember someone saying they're going to start translating Ninja Warrior again, and if that's the case, then I'm very looking forward to that.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sasuke!!!!
Just for that, welcome back G4 ;)

Edit: they also used to show a Japanese obstacle course show that was more low key and smaller scale, relying on agility more than brute force, but can't remember the name. Hope it's back too!

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
How involved is he in this revival?
He's been promoting it on Twitter so I assume a lot. He's back on Xplay and they have a studio for him. Which is really a bummer, because otherwise I would be looking forward to this.

If it's the instance that I'm aware of, he attacked a trans person on Twitter. And a bunch of other journalists jumped in to tell him to chill the fuck out, which he did not do.

Per Sessler, the cable stream will be a condensed version of the Twitch content. Highlights and such.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
That's interesting. So I suppose they would be live on Twitch and then quickly edited down to the version that would air on TV... the same day?
Yeah, I think. Probably a lot of canned footage that would be the same on both, but like the let's plays, etc would be cut down to fit cable better. That's my guess.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Ninja Warrior? What year is this?

I'd rather them save time block and bring over Electric PlayGround......new content, as well as old episodes. 😌

Edit-oh I see folks already asked for EP.. Hell Yiss!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Per Sessler, the cable stream will be a condensed version of the Twitch content. Highlights and such.
If the full shows are on Twitch I will watch. No cable here and no plans to ever get it, so if it is more than just lets plays on Twitch that would be nice.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Sessler is toxic as fuck and is basically the poster boy for the pretentious video game critic

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I assume Stryker was the first call they made and my boy will back full force

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
How involved is he in this revival?

Oh top of what the other poster said, on the current YouTube channel where they have been producing new content that I assume is meant as something of a preview of the actual channel, Sessler has been heavily featured and has been doing solo reviews. Over half that stuff features him in some way. So he's definitely involved heavily

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm conflicted. I loved G4 back in the day and admittedly am really interested in it coming back (the lineup looks pretty solid), but I'm also really fucking disappointed that Sessler is involved after his tirade last year. He hasn't said a word about it since then, and it's damning.

I'll probably check it out, but that definitely dampens my enthusiasm a lot, and makes me less likely to stick with it in the long run.

96f.png