• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thread comes with a warning, feelings will potentially be hurt!
-

Just realised I haven't heard a single PSO2: New Genesis tune outside of the menu theme. The OSTs have always felt too overbearing and hectic to me, and even though I'll be sure to be missing a few tracks I would love I signed into NGS for the first time, turned the music off in the menu, and never looked back.

How about the rest of you?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't think I've ever turned off music in a game.

I've turned down my TV and listened to a podcast while playing but that's about it. And thats just for when I'm casually playing some rocket league or something.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
There are only two games I can think of doing it (not counting adding custom songs on the original Xbox):
Civilization VI, the music's good but I'll sometimes want to listen to other things, considering how long games last.
Disney Extreme Skate Adventure: But I don't think anyone would call that one blasphemy. There's only so many times I can listen to Pacific Coast Party by Smash Mouth and it isn't very many.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Someone I know turned off the music in Nier Automata because he apparently really hated the repetition and didn't care for a few of the songs.

Which is just funny to me because the music practically made the experience in several key moments, like the elevator at the end or when you hear the City Ruins theme in full blast during a certain emotional section

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
I love FF14 music but after a new patch is out and I've heard all the new music quite a bit I'll sometimes mute it and put on Spotify or YouTube when doing things

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I probably spent the majority of my time with FFXIV playing with the sound off. I'd usually listen to podcasts or something.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Dragon Quest XI I had to turn off the music after a while, it felt like too little music spread over too much game.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
nooRZru.gif

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake. It's loud and annoying during gameplay.
I never turned it off, but I can empathize with this. FF7R's soundtrack is very over-done. It also feels loud to me, even when it's quiet, because it's all so much. Even if it settles on one song, it has a ton of different arrangements it cycles through and can't just chill out for a sec.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Nier Automata, the desert track, the vocals just become so grating after you hear them on a loop for more than 20 minutes. Sorry.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
OP I doubt that counts as blasphemy lol.

Not that I'll play it again anytime soon but if I did, I'd probably mute Death Stranding.

I listen to Twitch streams while playing stuff now but it's like World of Warships and Battlefield 1 so definitely not blasphemous.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll mute FFXIV while I'm doing dailies. I don't need to listen to the fucking Praetorium for the 50th time.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Guilty gear strive, when you do around 30 matches against 1 opponent, there only so much rock you can take.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I never consider it as "blasphemy" but I turned the music off in The Last of Us games & Resident Evil 5 because I want to hear the settings & the world.

Mind you, the weapons SFX were quite good & the zombies themselves, so I didn't miss the OST that much.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Civilizations games, the soundtracks are amazing and diverse (they also progress through eras) but sometimes I just to want to listen to my own music

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I dont do this but i know many people that mute music in Destiny 2.

Oct 27, 2017
Picross games

The battle theme from Dragon Quest XI, sounds somewhat like the Get Smart theme.

Long-haul turn-based games sometimes.

I don't dislike any of this music, but sometimes for concentration or other purposes the music gets turned down.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
I don't think this counts as blasphemous as I'm not sure how much people like the soundtrack, but I turned off the music in Metroid Prime 3 because I found it absolutely unlistenable. It was repetitive and lacked any semblance of melody for 90% of it.

Reason I bring that up, though, is because it made me wonder if I'd enjoy the first Metroid Prime more than I initially did with the music turned off. And that's a score that I enjoy and I know is often seen as a pretty high mark in the series.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
The only time I've ever turned off music in a game is the FFXIV battle music because having the music transition every time you start fighting a mob was destroying me.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I turn off the music in Fallout games... because I play a Fallout radio compilation playlist on Spotify instead. Gives me a lot more tracks, so less repeats.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. After the RAY fight, I had to turn it off. The soundtrack is grotesque.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
The only games where I did this were Burnout 3 and Excite Truck. I don't think anyone will call that blasphemy.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I legit play a lot of games totally mute as I'm usually hanging with my friends on Discord so my speakers have to be off. 2022 ps5 will get discord and that'll change but otherwise until then my speakers are turned off past 5pm daily.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never turned it off, but I can empathize with this. FF7R's soundtrack is very over-done. It also feels loud to me, even when it's quiet, because it's all so much. Even if it settles on one song, it has a ton of different arrangements it cycles through and can't just chill out for a sec.

Yup exactly. And I never turn off the music in games. FF7R might even be the first time for me. I disliked how overbearing it was THAT much.

DerAuto

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
A friend of mine disliked Hotline Miami.
I told him well the music is great isn't it?
He said he played the game muted.

KyuubiRogue

Jun 16, 2021
Guilty of listening to spotify while playing games but mainly multiplayer games or when im grinding/farming in a singleplayer game. Some games i have spotify running super low and have in game music on as well lol

Kaydigi

Apr 25, 2019
Mortal Kombat SNES , the sound effects were so incredible that I always turned the music off.

BigDaddyCool

Nov 29, 2020
The only two games I recall doing this with are WoW and Gran Turismo.

WoW because after a billion hours, I got tired of the same music and would just put on my own background music.

GT because I would never listen to music while racing on track IRL. I want to hear all the sounds from the car, the road, etc. This rule applies to sim racers in general. I leave the BGM on when playing arcade racers, though.