• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3540570-3512577-stadia-logo-promo-2.jpg

Eager to try Google Stadia out for yourself in your living room before you commit to a purchase later this year? Sadly, you won't be able to. Phil Harrison, Google's vice president and head of Stadia, confirmed as much in an interview with GamesRadar earlier today. That's right, there's no Google Stadia beta en route.

Of course, this is incredibly pertinent given that the Google Stadia experience could – in theory, at least – differ wildly from player to player, depending on a variety of external factors outside of Google's control, from your broadband speed to the way your ISP handles high-bandwidth traffic during peak times. Some prospective users had the ability to try out Stadia for themselves last year, albeit unwittingly; Project Stream let players launch Assassin's Creed Odyssey right from their browser window, accessing the new AAA experience on a high-end performance and graphical configuration regardless of the machine that you had in front of you.

Sauce

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
I have the founders pack pre-ordered. Not concerned at all. Pretty excited with this streaming direction that video games are headed.

If worse comes to worse, I have another chromecast. 🤷🏻‍♂️

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
But I played the stadia beta for a few months, it was called project stream. It worked very well

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally enough for me to cancel my Founder's edition. I'm sure I'll end up using streaming eventually, but with the performance stuff up in the air and no changes coming to my data cap any time soon I can wait.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's essentially "soft launching" given the limited platforms it is coming to at launch, so it'll have the same effect really.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
There was the beta called Project Stream that proved to me that people are going to pay for this product thinking it's some miracle and are going to be sorely disappointed right away and that the platform will fail.

/shrug

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I'm excited for it, and if it is available, I'll be playing Cyberpunk 2077 as my first Stadia game in April. Plenty of time to set my expectations.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Project Stream worked well for me. That said, this is a stupid move. I feel like Google needs to offer one free title released within the last three years for everyone to check out at anytime so that they could see what the service is about. It's a big leap to try something like this out without a way to check if it works adequately.

Jun 4, 2019
There was a beta, as others have mentioned. Why are all these outlets trying to take poorly thought out shots at Stadia? Are they threatened by something?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
They did have a beta, but not in every country.

But it's irrelevant, because the free version of Stadia is.. well.. free. So you can try that before going for Pro.

EDIT: Forgetting that it's Founders Edition only initially though, which does carry a cost. But then one can just be patient until it's free use next year.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
There was the beta called Project Stream that proved to me that people are going to pay for this product thinking it's some miracle and are going to be sorely disappointed right away and that the platform will fail.

/shrug
There already was a beta.
There was a beta, as others have mentioned. Why are all these outlets trying to take poorly thought out shots at Stadia? Are they threatened by something?
Pretty sure the Project Stream was only available in US. The rest of the world would like a beta too.

I've done the speed test and it seems fine but the data center in my area could be garbage. A free trial will hopefully go up post launch.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
There was no beta for Stadia. There was a beta for Project Stream that let you play Assassin's Creed Odyssey via a browser. Nothing more. You couldn't change settings, you could use a controller as long as the PC recognized it. That's it. Since then, Stadia has changed and no one outsides of the elusive circle or Google knows anything regarding the performance. As for me, Project Stream was alright, if you like not being able to change anything or having the quality constantly change on you despite being connected to 1GB up/down connection. There was also a fair bit of input delay, but being the game that it was, it was masked since ACO didn't' require split-second timing. So latency didn't really ruin the experience unless you were hitting past 100ms+.

There was no beta for Stadia as it is now, using the Chromecast. Which isn't the same thing.

That said, I did pre-order the Stadia Founders Edition. My job (hobby) is to review/check out the system as it is and provide feedback. No provide negative outtakes or attempting to cause fear regarding something that might end up being fairly decent. If it fails, it fails. But if it takes off, well, game streaming will be all the much better between this and Project xCloud.

Last edited:

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
really getting sick of tech site missing the point.

Steaming works what matters more is the quality of your routing to google granted you have the bandwidth.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The project stream beta or no, every service like this should have a free trial so you can try it out for yourself. Or there should be a no-quibble refund if you cancel within your first month.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
But a lot of hardware and software don't have public betas. We typically rely on reviews and word of mouth rather than "trust", no?

Jun 4, 2019
There was no beta for Stadia. There was a beta for Project Stream that let you play Assassin's Creed Odyssey via a browser. Nothing more. You couldn't change settings, you could use a controller as long as the PC recognized it. That's it. Since then, Stadia has changed and no one outsides of the elusive circle or Google knows anything regarding the performance. As for me, Project Stream was alright, if you like not being able to change anything or having the quality constantly change on you despite being connected to 1GB up/down connection. There was also a fair bit of input delay, but being the game that it was, it was masked since ACO didn't' require split-second timing. So latency didn't really ruin the experience unless you were hitting past 100ms+.

There was no beta for Stadia as it is now, using the Chromecast. Which isn't the same thing.
So you mean to say "there will be no beta for Stadia*"

I don't expect any company to roll out constant public betas for each of their new products to test them out in every single condition, as experimental as the products may be. If you're concerned about launch performance (not you you, I mean generally), rest assured that people will post impressions immediately after launch. Also, I may be wrong, but I believe any F2P game can be played for free on Stadia at base settings, if your goal is to try it without losing anything.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
So you mean to say "there will be no beta for Stadia*"

I don't expect any company to roll out constant public betas for each of their new products to test them out in every single condition, as experimental as the products may be. If you're concerned about launch performance (not you you, I mean generally), rest assured that people will post impressions immediately after launch. Also, I may be wrong, but I believe any F2P game can be played for free on Stadia at base settings, if your goal is to try it without losing anything.

I don't work for Google (Damn it) so I can't say if there will or won't be a beta. I will say this, everyone so far is under the impression that Stadia Pro is basically the beta since the free version (not really free) doesn't get released until 2020. Only Stadia Pro will be available in November, which is the paid version. Going off that, it would seem that Google will be taking feedback and impressions from those who are on the Pro version and using that towards the free version.

As far as how F2P games will work, I really don't know atm.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
How would there be an open beta when only purchasers of the Founders edition can use it this year?

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I don't work for Google (Damn it) so I can't say if there will or won't be a beta. I will say this, everyone so far is under the impression that Stadia Pro is basically the beta since the free version (not really free) doesn't get released until 2020. Only Stadia Pro will be available in November, which is the paid version. Going off that, it would seem that Google will be taking feedback and impressions from those who are on the Pro version and using that towards the free version.

As far as how F2P games will work, I really don't know atm.

Stadia's launch is basically an invite-only open beta.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Yeah they already had their beta, I thought everyone knew project stream was the beta for this?