• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Looks like the rumors aren't stopping after getting the Direct information right.

The original tip we received states "The N64 Classic Edition is going to be shown after the smash announcements". Now, this could mean one of two things…. either it will be shown at the end of the Super SmashBros Direct on November 1st, 2018 or it will be shown in a separate Direct later in the month of November. We would have been more sure on the first, but we do already have another leak from another very reliable source stating there will be two Nintendo Directs in November 2018. If we don't see this on November 1st, expect it later in the month.

Edit:

Last edited:

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The talk about 2 Directs in November... we already got the Smash one tomorrow, what if that 2nd one is true as well and THAT is when the N64 classic is announced... and not during a Smash Direct or Treehouse

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like... Tomorrow during the Treehouse event? Time it with the potential Banjo Smash news even.

Nov 8, 2017
If these trends continue, the PS2 Classics vs GameCube Mini vs Xbox Throwback competition is going to be fierce at the end of next year.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Announcing a Nintendo 64 Classic featuring Super Smash Bros. for the 64 during/at the end of the Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct would be crazy hype.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, this is a bit late in the season to announce this sort of thing. Would have to be 1st week of December launch if true. Stores would have needed to know a while ago.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Announcing this and releasing by the end of the year would be quite the turn-around for Nintendo, especially considering they usually announce these a few months before they release. Whether or not this is even real in the first place is certainly interesting though! I'd be excited to pick one up depending on the included software.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
ORIGINAL SUPER SMASH CARTRIDGE IS THE FINAL CHARACTER ANNOUNCEMENT FOR SMASH ULTIMATE

IT ALL MAKES SENSE

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
30 games?? Were there even that many exceptional games on N64?
I... don't know? A lot of what people liked back then has aged poorly, too, as has been evidenced by the PS classic. And some of the notable games still have derivatives that get new releases today, which is sorta kneecapping your own sales.
If these trends continue, the PS2 Classics
You could make a model with 200 games on it and still not appease even half the target audience. It's an impossible task.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
YyZLlSY.png

Oct 25, 2017
30 games?? Were there even that many exceptional games on N64?

Goldeneye
Banjo
Mario 64
Mario Kart
Perfect Dark
WCW vs NWO World Tour
Wrestlemania 2000
Killer Instinct
DK64
Cruisin' USA
Smash Bros
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Star Fox
Diddy Kong Racing
Conker
F-Zero
Paper Mario
Rogue Squadron
Wave Race
Turok
Turok 2
Mario Party
Banjo 2
Pod Racer
Pilot Wings
Excitebike
Tony Hawk
1080 Snowboarding

Like half of those would have licensing issues

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man, to think that the biggest showdown this holiday will be between N64 and ps1.

And I bet they will show off during the three house stream.

Also with this many games, I expect to be pricey.

Nov 8, 2017
Looking at the PS1 classic's lineup, I don't think the competition will be very fierce. Sony really needs to step up their game selection if they make a PS2 classic.

I would wait until the lineup for N64 is announced before assuming that. A fair chunk of the N64's well remembered games are either Rare titles whose rights are only available at Microsoft's pleasure, or have otherwise complicated licensing situations (e.g. Star Wars games). Goldeneye is the hardest because you need Rare, Nintendo, and Danjaq to agree on it.

If Nintendo and Microsoft have come to an agreement and several Rare titles are coming out, then it has a chance to be great.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Will the games be emulated in HD? Smash Bros 64 HD? Mario 64 HD? Dear God! Be true!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
pls

I need this

and dbl pls, let me be able to order this one without it being insta-out-of-stock

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Goldeneye
Banjo
Mario 64
Mario Kart
Perfect Dark
WCW vs NWO World Tour
Wrestlemania 2000
Killer Instinct
DK64
Cruisin' USA
Smash Bros
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Star Fox
Diddy Kong Racing
Conker
F-Zero
Paper Mario
Rogue Squadron
Wave Race
Turok
Turok 2
Mario Party
Banjo 2
Pod Racer
Pilot Wings
Excitebike
Tony Hawk
1080 Snowboarding

Like half of those would have licensing issues

Pokemon Stadium too despite not having the add on for the gameboy games.

the Rentals are okay enough to use. I remember playing with them back in the day

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I would wait until the lineup for N64 is announced before assuming that. A fair chunk of the N64's well remembered games are either Rare titles whose rights are only available at Microsoft's pleasure, or have otherwise complicated licensing situations (e.g. Star Wars games). Goldeneye is the hardest because you need Rare, Nintendo, and Danjaq to agree on it.

If Nintendo and Microsoft have come to an agreement and several Rare titles are coming out, then it has a chance to be great.

I feel like since Microsoft's Xbone versions of Rare's N64 era stuff is much better looking than an accurate emulation version, they might not have a problem licensing them to Nintendo for an N64 collection. If the Banjo Smash rumors are true they already would have a working relationship anyway. I don't see Goldeneye happening but the rest are not impossible.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I want Perfect Dark N64 and I want full performance drops retained. Maximum bots 10fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.