• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
GB is my favorite movie of all time and this trailer has me cautiously optimistic.

I'm in the same boat as the first film is also my personal favorite movie. After being disappointed by the 2016 film I'm hoping this one turns out to be decent. The setting alone at the very least gives the movie a unique identity compared to the others.

I think they're holding a lot back and I'm glad Sony finally had restraint for once.

It's kinda shocking how reserved Sony is being with the marketing. Quite a change of pace from their MCU Spider-Man trailers. lol

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's still weird to me how serious the tone is. Ghostbusters was a comedy, yet this seems to be going for a more Stephen King/Goosebumps vibe. Could be good, but it's hard to tell.

I wish the discourse around the last movie didn't poison the well so much for me because this should be something I'm excited about. I love Ghostbusters stuff.

It's just marketing. Watch the trailer for the original film and tell me it's a comedy. The only hint that it might be a comedy is if you were familiar with Akroyd, Ramis, and Murray's prior work.

Agreed on the discourse about the 2016 film. 90% of the fandom had an instant hate boner for it when the all female team was announced. It was gross.

Aug 30, 2020
I'm pretty neutral on this as a huge GB fan. My main issue is the pandering they're doing by showing me all these old phantasms. I'd prefer this be its own thing while also being good.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fucking comedy movie about blue collar ghost hunters. Republicans are the basis in our actual reality, in the ghostbusters world the basis are disbelieving skeptics. The entire crutch of the concept is that the little guy ghostbusters are up against insurmountable odds INCLUDING the fact that nobody believes them before, during, or after the events that happen. The fact that people just forget and move on is part of the fucking joke, Christ, but it's got basis in our reality because it literally happens all the time. Again I bring up the Phoenix Lights and the fucking military out here talking about UFOs for the past two years and n o b o d y g i v e s a f u c k and that's in real fucking life

Also it's NOT just Republicans that deny that shit it's people all over the fucking world denying Covid, joining Qanon, denying science, where have you been the past 5 years that shit is on the rise globally

Living in the real world where a threat or on the rise isn't "this is actually the consensus"

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
It's just marketing. Watch the trailer for the original film and tell me it's a comedy. The only hint that it might be a comedy is if you were familiar with Akroyd, Ramis, and Murray's prior work.

I'll do you one better, check out the teaser they put out for the original movie:

I had to imagine that people back then were like, "What the hell is this???" lol

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
People sure get caught up on the weirdest things. In a fantastical comedy movie where not only do ghosts exist, people can actually catch them, the fact that the world moved on after 40 years in a step too far.
The fact is in Afterlife's world people seem to have moved on from ghosts after 40 years, that's just the way it is. You just gotta accept it or not watch the movie. When you watch a movie with fantastical elements you have to be willing to sorta join that worlds rules, and that is part of Afterlife's rules.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
You're the one declaring Qanon the actual dominant consensus ideology
What in the actual fuck are you talking about

Time to use the block feature for the first time. Just keep ignoring the actual paranormal events that I've brought up multiple times that the world doesn't give two shits about and focus on some made up bullshit putting words in my mouth. Bye.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed on the discourse about the 2016 film. 90% of the fandom had an instant hate boner for it when the all female team was announced. It was gross.

Once you get to the midway point and it shows the busters to be rather incompetent, it sure looks like a comedy to me.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017

Did you actually watch that trailer you posted? It was clearly advertising a comedy. Had plenty of jokes in it. Lasering the maid, "important safety tip, thanks Egon," "cats and dogs living together"? Like, yeah, some of it's delivered in a bit of a deadpan, but... it's a comedy, no doubt.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Time to use the block feature for the first time. Just keep ignoring the actual paranormal events that I've brought up multiple times that the world doesn't give two shits about and focus on some made up bullshit putting words in my mouth. Bye.

It's a fucking comedy movie about blue collar ghost hunters. Republicans are the basis in our actual reality, in the ghostbusters world the basis are disbelieving skeptics and children who weren't alive at the time. The entire crutch of the concept is that the little guy ghostbusters are up against insurmountable odds INCLUDING the fact that nobody believes them before, during, or after the events that happen. The fact that people just forget and move on is part of the fucking joke, Christ, but it's got basis in our reality because it literally happens all the time. Again I bring up the Phoenix Lights and the fucking military out here talking about UFOs for the past two years and n o b o d y g i v e s a f u c k and that's in real fucking life

Also it's NOT just Republicans that deny that shit it's people all over the fucking world denying Covid, joining Qanon, denying science, where have you been the past 5 years that shit is on the rise globally

Excel's not exactly putting words in your mouth here, bucko.

Also the different groups you list here are still minorities who don't reflect a majority of society at all

Nov 27, 2017
California
Pretty good trailer
Stranger things x IT vibes though

There's going to be comedy probably in the beginning/end since Paul Rudd is there, even his short cameo in This is the end still make me laugh so he'll have some funny parts

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020

Maybe, but even in that trailer, you get the jaunty music, silly bits, and Murray's dry wit. But the new trailer had the mini-staypufts, so maybe they're just hiding the more overt comedic elements.

It's still weird to me to market a Ghostbusters movie like that, but what do I know. I'm not a marketer.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't bring QAnon, school shooting denialism, covid denialism into the conversation

You did

As part of your argument that most people would believe it was just a parade or whatever and that ghost believers after GB 1 and 2 would just be akin to big foot.

You used QANON as such to supposedly bolster that argument

You brought it up not me.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, I was saying that using beliefs that while threatening are still not near the majority, to explain why the majority of people would still not believe in ghosts after GB 1 and 2, is bad logic

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did you actually watch that trailer you posted? It was clearly advertising a comedy. Had plenty of jokes in it. Lasering the maid, "important safety tip, thanks Egon," "cats and dogs living together"? Like, yeah, some of it's delivered in a bit of a deadpan, but... it's a comedy, no doubt.

But you are already completely familiar with the context of those lines and scenes, and understand the deadpan humor of the movie. Divorce that trailer from any prior knowledge of the film and it doesn't exactly come off as Caddyshack.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Excel's not exactly putting words in your mouth here, bucko.

Also the different groups you list here are still minorities who don't reflect a majority of society at all
I never said they weren't?! She said "that's only republicans who think that way" and I said "no it's not it's a global problem". That does not translate in any way to "Qanon are the majority mind frame of the world" it's literally just saying that science/reality denying psychopaths are not exclusive to the US Republican Party.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The slime stuff in Ghostbusters 2 scared the shit out of me as a 5-year-old.

Am I alone in this?

No you're not alone, Ghost Busters 2 was just very scary, the goop coming out of the bathtub faucet, Vigo and his terrifying painting, the gargoyles and
Peter MacNicol being creepy.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I never said they weren't?! She said "that's only republicans who think that way" and I said "no it's not it's a global problem". That does not translate in any way to "Qanon are the majority mind frame of the world" it's literally just saying that science/reality denying psychopaths are not exclusive to the US Republican Party.

You were using QAnon and such as part of your argument to justify why society consensus afterward GB 1 and 2 would still be that ghosts aren't real

All arguments I was making such as that's Republicans not society was to say you can't use beliefs that are not the dominant thought to examine why something else would be the dominant thought

That some people think covid and school shootings are fake despite the obvious evidence isn't proof that a majority of society post GB 1 and 2 wouldn't believe in ghosts despite all the evidence , if anything that supports my argument that most people would, because most people do believe covid is real, most people do believe the school shootings happened, most people aren't QAnon

Oct 26, 2017
Looking like Stranger Things (funny cause Finn Wolfhard is in it) mixed with Ghostbusters 1.

In for Paul Rudd tho.

Edit: Now that I've read other comments, yeah, this trailer gives off major TFA vibes. Seems too intentional.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Trailer did tug at the ole nostalgia heartstrings but the aesthetics are a bit too polished. This definitely pays homage to the first 2 unlike the travesty in 2016.

Nov 5, 2017
Looks like the "passing of the torch" film that the 2016 version should have been. The director commentary video makes me optimistic Reitman will pull it off, too.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I just want a good time. this movie looks like a good time. I hope the young stars are the focus and the cameos are kept to a bare First Class/Deadpool 2 minimum

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
oh that was a good last shot, I thought it was going to be the receptionist but instead

ohhh boy.

day 1!

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
What year is this movie set? In the future? I can't figure out the timeline if they are Egon's grandkids. Did he meet someone really fast after the sequel? I am confused. Looks good though.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The timeline of this movie is going to drive me insane. Unless they make up a family for Egon, this is confusing. 32 years since the sequel. Did he meet someone right after and have a kid who had a kid very young? I need answers.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm good with just the first Ghostbusters, maybe the video game. That trailer didn't draw me in at all. Not a fan of the nostalgic tugging at your heartstrings vibe. 2016 wasn't great, but at least it was a comedy!

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Dan Aykroyd at the end picking up the phone in the firehouse going "we're closed" gave me goosebumps.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's Dan. I thought it was Bill at first. But it looks like an occult bookshop and that's almost definitely what Ray would have done post-GB.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
One interesting difference between our world and the world of Ghostbusters is that the wreck of the Titanic rose up out of the Atlantic Ocean and docked in New York City. I wonder what they did with it.

Oct 27, 2017
What year is this movie set? In the future? I can't figure out the timeline if they are Egon's grandkids. Did he meet someone really fast after the sequel? I am confused. Looks good though.

Set in current times, I guess. We'll see.

I think I'm good with just the first Ghostbusters, maybe the video game. That trailer didn't draw me in at all. Not a fan of the nostalgic tugging at your heartstrings vibe. 2016 wasn't great, but at least it was a comedy!

A comedy with no good or funny jokes. It was about as fun as getting papercuts between your fingers.

Dan Aykroyd at the end picking up the phone in the firehouse going "we're closed" gave me goosebumps.

Is that the firehouse, isn't that Ray's bookstore from GB2?

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
I think the worst this movie could potentially do is not stand out and just be a re-tread like GB2 did. Even then, the 2nd movie had it's moments and I still enjoy it.

One interesting difference between our world and the world of Ghostbusters is that the wreck of the Titanic rose up out of the Atlantic Ocean and docked in New York City. I wonder what they did with it.

James Cameron shows up and takes a copious amount of pictures while NY natives get irritated at him.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'll do you one better, check out the teaser they put out for the original movie:

I had to imagine that people back then were like, "What the hell is this???" lol

Once you get to the midway point and it shows the busters to be rather incompetent, it sure looks like a comedy to me.

The original film was advertised as comedy/horror or a monster movie. A lot like Gremlins.

It was never advertised or sold as a slapstick comedy, but it also wasn't a pure horror movie. It was an amalgamation of the two genres.

It's supposed to be set in present day. Ghostbusters was '84 and the sequel was '89. That's enough time for a grandkid, especially if the mother was never married to Egon or was estranged (crazy scientist who spent all his money on crazy theories, etc.).