• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet continues it's bizarre rollercoaster in the UK boxed charts.

Two weeks ago it didn't even chart. It wasn't in the Top 40. The week before that it managed to get in at number 40.
This week it's back to number two.

I feel like i've never seen a performance like it. Feels like each week its a toss up whether it's sold more than every other game or done a few hundred copies.

i wonder if it correlates with PS5 shipments. Whenever there´s a large new influx of console owners, they buy the exclusives :D

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
So when it says "UK Boxed Charts" that means physical game sales right? So any idea how many units this represents? Are people still buying boxed games on a large scale? I don't know anyone in my friends group that buys anything physical anymore. Genuinely curious of this metric as it seems to be held up as a standard on how the industry is trending on this site all the time.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
So when it says "UK Boxed Charts" that means physical game sales right? So any idea how many units this represents? Are people still buying boxed games on a large scale? I don't know anyone in my friends group that buys anything physical anymore. Genuinely curious of this metric as it seems to be held up as a standard on how the industry is trending on this site all the time.
Yes and iirc it's 70% digital here in the UK, someone can correct me

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The people have spoken and they want more platformers during these tough times.

892bac082e1ca32118ea0306066fc29aca3589a9.gifv

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
These are some ridiculous charts. When you see 100+ % difference week by week, maybe the sample data is not reliable enough.

The boxed sales are so small I don't know why we are so obsessed with them here. Hades was in the top 10 last month and it sold 3000 physical copies.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

How do you imagine this chart would change with digital? Hardware sales aren't digital and the sku splits usually align with the hardware splits and I don't think there would be a drastic difference.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
How do you imagine this chart would change with digital? Hardware sales aren't digital and the sku splits usually align with the hardware splits and I don't think there would be a drastic difference.

yeah, I think with resident evil 8 or one of those games that had a severe split once the digital sales came out it was proven that there was only like a 5% or less difference between physical and digital

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 discord stock tracker was pinging like crazy today - I expect another big week for PS5

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Are you questioning the numbers in this chart? We know there are some games many people buy as soon as they get a PS5, been like that for awhile now.

Yea that's what I find silly. The moment more PS5s come into stock, lots (relative) copies are sold as a result. :D

So you see games completely disappear and then come back to the top all based on the hardware availability. :D

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Series X in the uk from an online retailer last month, there has been stock just being scalped.
It sold 1000 units in June, compared to the 140k of PS5
(can't find numbers for this, so won't state it as fact)

It has been pitiful

Last edited:

sujay

Oct 27, 2017
Yea that's what I find silly. The moment more PS5s come into stock, lots (relative) copies are sold as a result. :D

So you see games completely disappear and then come back to the top all based on the hardware availability. :D
Aren't seeing what games are selling the point of charts?

Oct 31, 2017
Aren't seeing what games are selling the point of charts?

Yeah, I don't really find it silly; it's showing important data as to what people get when they buy a console.

The same applies to monthly charts. For the most part, I believe those evergreen games (GTA5, Breath of the Wild, Spider-Man) on NPD charts are likely games people pick up when they buy a new console.

Seeing weekly fluctuations is honestly really interesting for me.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
Getting less and less convinced that cross gen games should be a thing as more of these splits come in.

Just think, Ragnarok and GT7 will be released in the second half of next year at the earliest, and they'll still be coming out on PS4, where they'll both sell, at a very rough guess, about 10% of total copies.
For god of war and horizon I feel it doesn't make much difference, those games were designed for ps4.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Wonder if Spidey gets a prolonged boost thanks to the huge success of the No Way Home trailer. It's got a lot of people hyped and people will be in the mood for some Spidey action. Of course the actual movie should see a renewed interest at Xmas.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, wasn't expecting three Sony games, and one by now pretty old one, making top 3. O:

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Expect it to be the same next month. UK stock for PS5 is becoming plentiful here, with lots of regular drops.

I had one in my basket from ASDA today just to check the stock situation, and I was 20 minutes late to the stock being advertised on social media (which is a bit of a record for the UK). They're getting big batches in now and it's only likely to increase towards the end of the year.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the full top 40.

Thank you DisturbedSwan

01 (NE) GHOST OF TSUSHIMA: DIRECTOR'S CUT (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
02 (10) RATCHET & CLANK: RIFT APART (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
03 (12) MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN: MILES MORALES (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
04 (01) MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
05 (03) MINECRAFT (NINTENDO)
06 (02) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (ROCKSTAR)
07 (04) OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020 THE OFFICIAL VIDEO GAME (SEGA)
08 (05) ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS (NINTENDO)
09 (07) ASSASSIN'S CREED VALHALLA (UBISOFT)
10 (14) FIFA 21 (EA SPORTS)
11 (17) MARVEL'S AVENGERS (SQUARE ENIX)
12 (39) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
13 (13) SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD + BOWSER'S FURY (NINTENDO)
14 (06) F1 2021 (EA SPORTS)
15 (09) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD HD (NINTENDO)
16 (11) RESIDENT EVIL VILLAGE (CAPCOM)
17 (15) LEGO HARRY POTTER COLLECTION (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
18 (25) MARIO GOLF: SUPER RUSH (NINTENDO)
19 (NE) MADDEN NFL 22 (EA SPORTS)
20 (16) POKEMON SWORD (NINTENDO)
21 (18) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)
22 (27) CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS COLD WAR (ACTIVISION)
23 (08) HADES (PRIVATE DIVISION)
24 (19) MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020 (NINTENDO)
25 (22) POKEMON SHIELD (NINTENDO)
26 (23) SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO)
27 (26) MINECRAFT DUNGEONS (MOJANG)
28 (31) LUIGI'S MANSION 3 (NINTENDO)
29 (21) RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 (ROCKSTAR)
30 (36) SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE (NINTENDO
31 (20) NEW POKEMON SNAP (NINTENDO)
32 (32) RING FIT ADVENTURE (NINTENDO)
33 (28) WATCH DOGS: LEGION (UBISOFT)
34 (24) JUST DANCE 2021 (UBISOFT)
35 (29) NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DELUXE (NINTENDO)
36 (33) SUPER MARIO PARTY (NINTENDO)
37 (37) LEGO DC SUPER-VILLAINS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
38 (38) LEGO JURASSIC WORLD (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
39 (34) NBA 2K21 (2K)
40 (30) MORTAL KOMBAT 11 ULTIMATE (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

Last edited: