• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.gamesindustry.biz

PS5 is the fastest-selling PlayStation as it hits 10m sales milestone

PlayStation 5 is Sony's fastest-selling games console after surpassing 10 million sales worldwide.The new console reach…

PlayStation 5 is Sony's fastest-selling games console after surpassing 10 million sales worldwide.

The new console reached the figure on July 18th, just under a month faster than the PlayStation 4 managed.

Other sales figures released by Sony includes that Spider-Man: Miles Morales has sold over 6.5 million copies since its launch last year. PS5 exclusives Returnal, released in April, has exceeded 560,000 copies, andRatchet & Clank: Rift Apart, which was released last month, is already on over 1.1 million units worldwide.

Meanwhile, Sony San Diego-developed MLB: The Show 21, which was released on non-PlayStation platforms, has surpassed two million sales worldwide. The game actually has more than four million players, and was included in the Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
PlayStation 5 is Sony's fastest-selling games console after surpassing 10 million sales worldwide.

The new console reached the figure on July 18th, just under a month faster than the PlayStation 4 managed.

Other sales figures released by Sony includes that Spider-Man: Miles Morales has sold over 6.5 million copies since its launch last year. PS5 exclusives Returnal, released in April, has exceeded 560,000 copies, andRatchet & Clank: Rift Apart, which was released last month, is already on over 1.1 million units worldwide.
Meanwhile, Sony San Diego-developed MLB: The Show 21, which was released on non-PlayStation platforms, has surpassed two million sales worldwide. The game actually has more than four million players, and was included in the Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

PlayStation 5's sales performance has been dependent on the company's ability to supply the demand, with the console sold out globally. CEO Jim Ryan said in a statement that improving inventory levels remains a top priority.
Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz, Ryan adds that PS5 has seen 'double digit growth' in terms of engagement -- whether that's monthly users or gameplay time -- compared with the launch window of PS4.

"Engagement on the platform is the highest that we've ever seen whichever way you look at it," he says.

"Whether it's the number of people measured by a metric such as MAU [Monthly Active Users], or whether it's the time that these people spend playing games. Both of these metrics are showing very significant double-digit growth compared to the launch window of PS4, the previous high-water mark.

"We were confident that this would be the case, we believed profoundly in the feature set of our new platform, and we worked really hard internally and with our partners to make sure that the game line-up was really strong, and we have continued to pepper the community with excellent PlayStation Studios' games like MLB: The Show, Returnal, and Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. But fair to say that the engagement has surprised us, in a very pleasant way.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
PS5 reached 10M sold-through as of July 18th
PS4 reached 10M sold-through as of Aug 10th with 10.4M sold-in as of June 30, 2014

Miles was at 4.1M sold through as of Dec 31, 2020

Recap (all numbers below, as of July 18th)
  • Miles at 6.5M
  • Returnal at 560K
  • Ratchet at 1.1M
  • MLB 21 at 2M (4M players)

Last edited:

Greent4

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I'm curious about the MLB the show sales split between Xbox and Sony. Otherwise great to see the big three(and pc) thriving!

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 PS5 is a beast.

Congrats to Sony. Amazing first year for a console.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't get much better than that....congrats to Sony on a very successful console launch period.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
PlayStation continuing it's incredible momentum from last generation. It's expected but still impressive to see, and that's whilst the console remains in insane demand here in the UK. You still cannot just go online or in store and buy one.

Add in the fact that we're still in a pandemic and gaming has become even more important for a lot of people and it's a recipe for huge success.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm curious about the MLB the show sales split between Xbox and Sony. Otherwise great to see the big three(and pc) thriving!
Seems the majority of Xbox users played it on GamePass:
Meanwhile, Sony San Diego-developed MLB: The Show 21, which was released on non-PlayStation platforms, has surpassed two million sales worldwide. The game actually has more than four million players, and was included in the Xbox Game Pass subscription service

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think this line implies a lot

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That number for Returnal seems not good on the face but I guess it's solid enough when you consider how many consoles are out there

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation continuing it's incredible momentum from last generation. It's expected but still impressive to see, and that's whilst the console remains in insane demand here in the UK. You still cannot just go online or in store and buy one.

Add in the fact that we're still in a pandemic and gaming has become even more important for a lot of people and it's a recipe for huge success.

Here in Portugal buying in-store isn't possible because Sony mandates that all consoles be sold online. I'm guessing to prevent gatherings/covid because of the console that could result in bad publicity.

In the following weeks, console stock is expected to increase to never seen levels, here in Portugal.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I surmise Returnal was reasonably budgeted if they're willing to divulge a sub-million number for it. The lack of a number for Demon's Souls is a bit surprising.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
That is really impressive. I'm most impressed with Miles tbh. Showing the importance of good launch titles.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet didn't quite blow up as I'd expect it, unlike Spiderman. That game really seems to be the de facto ps5 game to pick up but I hoped for Ratchet to take the lead. Maybe with more discounts.
Returnal is performing as expected from the kind of game it is. Spiderman is doing extremely well and I wish we got an update on Demon's Souls so I'm assuming it's still below the million.

Hard to really get a read on these numbers while the userbase is this low anyway.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Fastest transition to a new gen in terms of install base wasn't just talk huh. Stellar first party line-up of exclusives massively helped.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
It selling better than the PS4 despite being supply constrained and still selling out within 10 minutes is absolutely insane to me

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Hopefully word of mouth makes Returnal go up, I've at least convinced 3 friends to get it and they love it haha.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not in 10 million crowed, my PS5 arrives next week after 9 months of trying. Can't wait and also well deserved on the sales, best line up of games in the first year since PS2.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Wonder how well Demon's Souls remake performed... Overall considering the circumstances (pandemic, shortage etc) these numbers are very good.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Good for them, their games continue to be great and the PS4 is a great console to ride the wave of.

That line about mlb players and gamepass is kinda crazy too, it's feasible there's more players on Xbox then on PS5.