• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Over 183,000 consoles were sold in the UK during the four weeks ending July 3rd, according to the latest GfK data.

That is a 6% increase month-on-month.
PS5 was the best-selling console, although stock levels were ever-so-slightly lower compared with the previous four-week period. Xbox Series S/X was the second-best selling console, followed by Nintendo Switch, and both machines sold better in June compared with May.
For the first six months of the year, UK game consoles have exceeded 1.1 million sales (upweighted), which is 25% up compared with the same period the year before. PS5 is the best-selling device, followed by Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series S/X close behind.
Digital games accounted for 1.62 million of the games sold last month, which is down 31.4% year-on-year. Physical retail made up 876,000, which is down 26.4%. Nintendo was the most successful publisher of physical retail games in June, while Ubisoft was the biggest digital publisher.
Sony had the biggest new game of the month in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PlayStation 5, followed by Nintendo with Mario Golf: Super Rush on Switch. But June really belonged to FIFA 21, which was the top selling game of the period.

In total, 731,879 accessories were sold in July, according to Gfk. That is 19% up over the month before, but down 19.6% over the same period in 2020. The accessories market enjoyed a late boost last year due to the COVID-19 lockdowns.

The DualSense White remains the No.1 best-selling accessory. The official PS5 controller has been joined this month by two new colour variants: The Midnight Black version debuts at No.2, while the Cosmic Red edition comes in at No.4.

TOP 20 software:

Captura-de-tela-2021-07-20-114505.png

Last edited:

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Is it still difficult to buy a next gen console or is supply slowly catching up to the demand? Will be interesting to see the numbers once supply constraints are not an issue anymore

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how close the sales gap between the consoles actually are.
Is it still difficult to buy a next gen console or is supply slowly catching up to the demand? Will be interesting to see the numbers once supply constraints are not an issue anymore
Pretty sure the XSX and PS5 are still hard to find. The SS a little less so.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
So strange to see that Sony shipped less PS5s in June compared to May, with Rift Apart launch (and even the first official bundle) I was expecting the opposite

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a historical reason why the UK is such a weak market for Nintendo? I know they're doing well, but it seems like it's not hard for them to fall behind the competition

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't expecting Xbox to outsell the Switch. Great numbers all around.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 was the best-selling console, although stock levels were ever-so-slightly lower compared with the previous four-week period. Xbox Series S/X was the second-best selling console, followed by Nintendo Switch, and both machines sold better in June compared with May.
For the first six months of the year, UK game consoles have exceeded 1.1 million sales (upweighted), which is 25% up compared with the same period the year before. PS5 is the best-selling device, followed by Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series S/X close behind.

This is so wild to me. Stock issues cant be anywhere near normal for Sony and MS...and yet...

So strange to see that Sony shipped less PS5s in June compared to May, with Rift Apart launch (and even the first official bundle) I was expecting the opposite

Wasn't expecting Xbox to outsell the Switch. Great numbers all around.
Exactly.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I don't think they're stocking up for major software releases, instead they're shipping consoles as early as possible.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Would have loved to see Ratchet at the top spot - but with the EC going on this wasnt probably not gonna happen.
Is there a historical reason why the UK is such a weak market for Nintendo? I know they're doing well, but it seems like it's not hard for them to fall behind the competition
Its a system in its 5th year keeping up hw sales wise with very high in demand next-gen consoles, without having a price drop and a new model to be rumored/or now announced for the end of the year. Let alone their presence in the software charts.

If you think Nintendo isnt doing well right now in the UK, i dont knot know what to tell you.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great to see Xbox continuing to make progress.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I have to wonder how PS5 would sell if there was no stock issues.
They are #1 for the year and month and yet everyone complains they can't get one, lmao

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Its a system in its 5th year keeping up hw sales wise with very high in demand next-gen consoles, without having a price drop and a new model to be rumored/or now announced for the end of the year. Let alone their presence in the software charts.
It's the same situation in NA and Japan, and Nintendo is killing it there. I'm not saying they're doing poorly in the UK, just that it's a relatively weak market for them .

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

It's not a weak market for nintendo. Whenever Nintendo do well globally, they do well here. NES, SNES, Wii, Switch.
Their highs are slightly lower than elsewhere and their lows are more pronounced, but we generally follow the trends.

As to why they're not as good as other territories, It may be because the UK doesn't have the same kind of relationship with the NES that the US and Japan do. It did well but was never a clear market leader here, all the old computers like the speccy, c64 and then amiga were still doing well, and the master system did well and had a longer tail then the nes (as nintendo dropped support for the nes far harder in the UK when the SNES came out compared to the Master System & Mega Drive). It's not the "console of your youth" as much as it was in other territories.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I've read reports that said that the supplies constraints can go as far the end of 2022. Don't really have a link on that, if someone does I would appreciate it, but yes, it is not something that's going to get solved pretty quickly.

dryz

Oct 30, 2017

Impossible to buy PS5 in Czechia. Series S is stocked everywhere, Series X you can pre-order and have it home in a month. If you pre-order PS5 now, the estimated delivery is sometimes in the first half of 2022.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018

PS5 today had some stock in the UK. I tried to get inside a store (i think it was www.very.co.uk?) and i couldn't. Once i did like 10 minutes later...it was sold out.

PS5 has been #1 but they sell out without being available to a public that's not always looking for one. That's how bad things are.

I honestly don't think we'll ever see a PS5 on a shelf until like early 2023 at this point.

They won't be solving this issue any time soon. Fall 2021 will be a bloobath, forget it. Next year we're getting God of War, Gran Turismo, Forspoken, Final Fantasy XVI, possibly stuff from Naughty Dog and god know what else. Meanwhile Sony will be struggling to keep up with demand. Fall 2022 will happen by the time they MIGHT start to have more units...but by then, Xmas is close and everything will be sold once again.

So my bet? Early 2023 for things to be better.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo always does really well here and frequently outsold the PS4 and Xbox One. The Switch is just well over four years old now, so sales are understandably slowing down as people are getting more interested in next gen gaming and everyone that wants a Switch probably already has one or is waiting for the successor.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure the XSX and PS5 are still hard to find. The SS a little less so.

XSX and particularly PS5 are very hard to get hold of at retail (I've been trying to get my son a ps5 digital, very rough, not paying scalpers and haven't got the time to camp out twitter feeds and drop eveything to reload web pages and fight online payment systems lol). I can't see it getting any easier as we get closer to xmas now and I've promised him he'll have it xmas day at the latest - d'oh! Maybe the scalpers will be seeing my cash at some point /o\

But the Series S is not a little less hard to get, it's freely available as it has been for months. You can buy one today anywhere... Game, Amazon, xbox.com, Very, AO, Smyths, shopto, wherever, they are always in stock at almost every outlet you can think of. I had a ps5 digital in my basket for launch but decided against it and got him a Series S so we'd have more to go at, but regret that decision when I could easily have just bought both or got the xbox later at pretty much any point... but hindsight and all that...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's the same situation in NA and Japan, and Nintendo is killing it there. I'm not saying they're doing poorly in the UK, just that it's a relatively weak market for them .
US is Nintendos biggest market and Japan their home market where PS/Xbox are barely a factor. So if that's the standard you are using UK will always look weak.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017

I think its related to the FIFA series starting out on Genesis console and since then, EA using its FIFA dominance to give Playstation the crown during thr PS2-PS4 era to MS trying to make major inroads here. I recall hearing from friends that Nintendo wasn't really big historically in the UK as a console maker. UK and Europe in general was always, Sega and Playstation land.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I think its related to the FIFA series starting out on Genesis console and since then, EA using its FIFA dominance to give Playstation the crown during thr PS2-PS4 era to MS trying to make major inroads here. I recall hearing from friends that Nintendo wasn't really big historically in the UK as a console maker. UK and Europe in general was always, Sega and Playstation land.
FIFA makes a lot of sense. On top of that series being popular; Nintendo doesn't have an alternative to offer either.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I remember seeing the numbers for the NES and SNES a while back and if I remember correctly, those consoles weren't the monsters they were in some other territories. Some countries have a deep connection with Nintendo due to their early consoles and I don't think this is a thing in the U.K.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
This is not scientific at all but I found it fun.
if you go on Cex website and try to buy a XSX or a PS5 and enter your postcode, it shows you how many each store has in stock. This highly scientifc method shows there are more second-hand XSX consoles around and they go for less

ConsoleStock in all CEX storesPrice
PS5 boxed17£695
PS5 unboxed18£665
PS5 (Discounted due to low quality)13£655
PS5 DE BoxedOut of stock£360
PS5 DE unboxedOut of stock£350
XSX Boxed34£590
XSX Unboxed23£570
XSX (Discounted due to low quality)12£555
XSS Boxed3£250
XSS UnboxedOut of stock£240
XSS (Discounted due to low quality)Out of stock£230

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
US is Nintendos biggest market and Japan their home market where PS/Xbox are barely a factor. So if that's the standard you are using UK will always look weak.
Proportionately the UK has usually been Nintendo's weakest major market. Not just versus US and Japan, but really even markets like France and Germany. That's not to imply Switch is weak there, it's not (and DS and Wii certainly weren't either) but in terms of marketshare Nintendo does tend to lag in the UK for whatever reason.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
This is not scientific at all but I found it fun.
if you go on Cex website and try to buy a XSX or a PS5 and enter your postcode, it shows you how many each store has in stock. This highly scientifc method shows there are more second-hand XSX consoles around and they go for less

ConsoleStock in all CEX storesPrice
PS5 boxed17£695
PS5 unboxed18£665
PS5 (Discounted due to low quality)13£655
PS5 DE BoxedOut of stock£360
PS5 DE unboxedOut of stock£350
XSX Boxed34£590
XSX Unboxed23£570
XSX (Discounted due to low quality)12£555
XSS Boxed3£250
XSS UnboxedOut of stock£240
XSS (Discounted due to low quality)Out of stock£230

When the PS5 came out last year Cex wanted me to sell mine for 700€ so that they could sell it then for 800€. That's how things were here in Portugal.
These numbers aren't surprising. it's what i expected tbh.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Nintendo always does really well here and frequently outsold the PS4 and Xbox One. The Switch is just well over four years old now, so sales are understandably slowing down as people are getting more interested in next gen gaming and everyone that wants a Switch probably already has one or is waiting for the successor.
except… this is looking to be switch's best or second best year. sales are not slowing down, in fact the opposite is the case in most places. uk is probably one of only a couple countries worldwide where switch isn't at least in second right now.

as someone said earlier switch just reached i think it's 35th month in a row at #1 in NPD, is clearly the market leader in france/japan/sk/taiwan, and is putting up a strong fight with ps5 in other european countries like spain.
well what standard do you want us to use when comparing uk to other big markets? no one is saying switch isn't doing amazingly well for uk standards, the point here is that uk even now is one of the weakest regions in terms of market share for nintendo.