• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I was at the grocery store yesterday checking out at a regular line (not do it yourself) and 2 kids (maybe 12 or 13 years old) got in line behind me and just had a gift card in hand, nothing else. They kept getting real close behind me, to the point that I told them to back off. They just stood there and didn't say anything. What I didn't notice was that they put the gift card right next to my items. When I walked away, the cashier said I forgot something, and gave me a bag. I didn't think anything of it at the time, because I was angry at the kids invading my personal space.

When I got to the parking lot, I looked in the bag and saw the gift card. I tried to return it by going back in the store, at which point one of the kids walked up to me and tried to say that their gift card got mixed up with my items. I told the kid off that I paid for it, now I'm returning it, go get another one, finally getting rid of them.

The store clerk said all gift card sales are final, so I called the customer service line, they told me to call Amazon. Amazon said they couldn't refund it, so I had no choice but to redeem the $50 gift card, which thankfully was active, but still, the whole thing really pissed me off.

I realize now that they were trying to get me to pay for the card, leave it there, and then they would take it. Thankfully the cashier at least gave me the card, but it would have been better if she noticed the kids putting the gift card there and separated it.

Has anyone here ever encountered anything like this? From now on, I'm using the do it yourself line. Damn kids.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
You dont check what is going through the register and dont check again after paying?

I always do that - never experienced anything like that but if I did , would raise hell.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
nope. never seen anything. but with how i shop i know the prices of things so if my price is off i'll scan the list of items i scan to see if anything got overcharged or suspicious.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Least it's an Amazon card. You'll inevitably find something to use it on.

Certainly a scam, and they were pretty daring to do it even after you noticed them being too close.

How did you not notice the extra $50 when the total came up though?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seems weird. How didn't you know you paid for it? How did they know you'd come back, what? Doesn't really seem like a scam maybe and probably just kids fucking with you if anything

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I was working at a Wal-Mart in 2017 and had an older gentleman approach the electronics register with 6 $100 iTunes gift cards.

As I was logging into the register, he told me that Apple instructed him to buy these because his iPhone was hacked and his imei number was changed, and that Apple needed the gift cards in order to change it back.

Both me and the Straight Talk rep had our eyes light up and we informed him that it was a scam and that his imei wasn't changed.

Thankfully, he believed us and didn't buy the cards.

OP
OP
Zoidberg Jesus
Oct 28, 2017
I should have noticed the high amount, but I was buying groceries for 3 people after a week, so I'm used to the total being above $150-$200 at times. That, combined with me being annoyed at the kids distracted me enough, I guess. I'll just be more careful in the future.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
"that'll be $58.50"
"ok sounds good" zoidberg jesus swipes card, takes single grocery bag home.

edit: dammit it was a larger bill, in OP he just mentioned bag so thought it would be a few items.

May 14, 2021
The scam I know about is people recording codes from gift cards and then waiting for someone to buy and have them activated by the cashier and then they use the codes before the consumer can.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I realize now that they were trying to get me to pay for the card, leave it there, and then they would take it. Thankfully the cashier at least gave me the card, but it would have been better if she noticed the kids putting the gift card there and separated it.

Cashier did nothing wrong, you knew the kids were being annoying and suspicious and you didn't even notice it, why would the cashier? It is really on you to make sure other customers aren't mixing their shit in with yours.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I get the not checking, I barely do, but I'd at least have a rough idea of how much I'm spending. Don't think someone could sneak in ÂŁ50 extra. So I think maybe just try and keep note of your spend. That's a big chunk to have added on and not notice.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if this were a scam it would have a pretty bad success rate, i would think. so many things would have to align for it to work.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems less like a scam, per se, and more like a dumbass idea from a couple of dumbass kids who wanted a gift card. Can't imagine it working that often.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I probably wouldn't have noticed the $50 at the end, but I hope that I'd notice it when it was being scanned.

However, in my experience, every time I buy a gift card, the cashier carefully tells me where my activation code is on the receipt, so I would be aware if someone tried to sneak a gift card into my groceries.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine kids like this will always try this on someone with lots of groceries. When your bill is in the $150-$250 range regularly, I could see how it could be missed.
Sneaky fucks.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's all shame the OP for not noticing the extra $50 at first. Shame! 🙄
Let's shame the worker for not noticing the kids putting it on the belt.

I imagine kids like this will always try this on someone with lots of groceries. When your bill is in the $150-$250 range regularly, I could see how it could be missed.
Sneaky fucks.
They also get super close to look like they are with the buyer.

Nov 27, 2017
California
You rich OP
I legit hawkeye the total on the screen when I'm shopping in case I get charged extra or if my discount goes through

The scam I saw was mentioned by it being scratched off then when they finished the person immediately puts the code in to get the gift card

jleo

Aug 12, 2021
Seems strange. Were they trying to get you to pay for the giftcard so they could then take it themselves?

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
This is the first I've heard of it. Judging by the execution it seems more like two kids came up with a spur of the moment idea than some kind of well-coordinated scam.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I do not pay attention to prices and totals at all when I buy stuff, id probably be in the same boat until I got home and noticed I have something i didnt buy. I only really notice prices when I am specifically buying something thats on sale.

Seems like a terrible plan though if they were trying to scam.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
This is on you. People generally know the price range of their goods before buying. I'm shocked this got past you. 50 dollars extra on a bill would raise my alarm.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
It's possible to peel those gray stickers off that cover the code, and reapply them. Maybe they were planning on redeeming the code before you did or realized what had happened.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Let's all shame the OP for not noticing the extra $50 at first. Shame! 🙄
Reminds me of all the people who defended the poster whose car was stolen because they went into the store while leaving the car running with keys in the ignition.

I must live in a different world because that wouldn't happen to me.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
one scam i keep running into is where the cards are already scratched off, once rung up you just paid for somebody else's shit

luckily the cashier catches it every time

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I don't think I'd notice an extra $50 when stocking up on groceries for my family, so whatever on that front, but I would definitely notice a gift card sitting at the very end of all my items. Especially after the kids were acting suspicious to begin with. I mean, if you were alone, what else would you have to do besides stare at your items go through the scanner?

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I was at the grocery store yesterday checking out at a regular line (not do it yourself) and 2 kids (maybe 12 or 13 years old) got in line behind me and just had a gift card in hand, nothing else. They kept getting real close behind me, to the point that I told them to back off. They just stood there and didn't say anything. What I didn't notice was that they put the gift card right next to my items. When I walked away, the cashier said I forgot something, and gave me a bag. I didn't think anything of it at the time, because I was angry at the kids invading my personal space.

When I got to the parking lot, I looked in the bag and saw the gift card. I tried to return it by going back in the store, at which point one of the kids walked up to me and tried to say that their gift card got mixed up with my items. I told the kid off that I paid for it, now I'm returning it, go get another one, finally getting rid of them.

The store clerk said all gift card sales are final, so I called the customer service line, they told me to call Amazon. Amazon said they couldn't refund it, so I had no choice but to redeem the $50 gift card, which thankfully was active, but still, the whole thing really pissed me off.

Has anyone here ever encountered anything like this? From now on, I'm using the do it yourself line. Damn kids.
….how did you miss $50 additional charge on your purchase?!