• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
In a few short years, I've gone from "Google's built my trust and Android keeps getting better. Let's switch and buy the next Pixel!" to "I really need to minimize that Google footprint as much as possible."

What's good, free-fairly priced, and not ad-heavy?

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think ProtonMail is supposed to get an app/UI update soon. The clunky design was my only complaint about it.

hey.com email is really nice, but isn't free ($99/yr).

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think ProtonMail is supposed to get an UI/app update soon. The clunky design was my only complaint about it.

The owners of Hey, 37signals, are peak douchebags too. Worth considering if people are looking for an alternative to Gmail for ethical reasons. DDH and Jason Fried showed their ass by issuing a horrifically stupid and out of touch statement around civil rights "political" discussions a couple months back.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Theres a ton of them. Even Yahoo mail is still going. Hotmail/Outlook.

Most of them are large billion dollar corps. But theres some quality smaller ones but you will pay for them. If you really want your privacy, paying for service is the easiest way.

OP
OP
Grifter

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I use both and like them both. Don't use gmail.
I've been using iCloud for a bit now and it's fine.
Anything you miss about GMail?

I think ProtonMail is supposed to get an UI/app update soon. The clunky design was my only complaint about it.

Dang that's a nice domain, but seems steep. I guess another bonus of iCloud is using "me.com."

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
I have my own domain name, its just $9/year, so I can e-mail forward to any service I want in few minutes.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I have my own hosted email but am going to switch back to either outlook (via office365) or iCloud (when iCloud+ rolls out) and just keep my custom domain name. The personal hosted option is nice but isn't worth the price if you only use it for email.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anything you miss about GMail?

Dang that's a nice domain, but seems steep. I guess another bonus of iCloud is using "me.com."
Proton gives you @pm.me. There's two more that you get as well and can use any of them.

The new UI looks exactly like Gmail which is a huge improvement over the old one. I plan on moving everything over soon. It's also nice being able to get extra emails tied to the same inbox so you can create one off or temporary addresses.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably Outlook just for ease of use and feature set, aliases are also useful for junk and stuff without putting out your main address.

Don't get the big deal with Proton, it's only really useful for privacy if both ends are private and general emails not between two proton emails ain't that.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I have a gmail account but I never use it. I've used the same .mac/mobileme/icloud email daily for 18 years now.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
OP
OP
Grifter

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Theres a ton of them. Even Yahoo mail is still going. Hotmail/Outlook.

Most of them are large billion dollar corps. But theres some quality smaller ones but you will pay for them. If you really want your privacy, paying for service is the easiest way.
Sure, just weighing options and whether I can go Apple first considering their privacy push not knowing I won't be served ads.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iCloud is very bare bones UI/features wise, but it works great as a basic e-mail service.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh - basically gmail is the only google product I really use, but I've had it since 2004 and it would be so disruptive to change it over. I should stop being lazy and just do it.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know you still can't use Protonmail for custom domains, so while I have an account with them, I can't use it for any real business. The app is also not great from a UX perspective. Feels really klunky. But it's more secure than the competition; journalists use it quite often.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I like Protonmail a lot. I also just switched to their calendar too. The android calendar app can't open .ics files though (yet?), which is major pain, but it's otherwise good. The pm.me addresses solved having to spell out protonmail.com for people so that's nice.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pay like $30/year to Hover for a unique email that has my last name as the domain. Definitely makes an impression on resumes etc.

Whatever I can do to minimize the amount of data Google has on me. They already get enough from YouTube. Don't need their algorithm reading my personal emails too.

OP
OP
Grifter

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
As far as I know you still can't use Protonmail for custom domains, so while I have an account with them, I can't use it for any real business. The app is also not great from a UX perspective. Feels really klunky. But it's more secure than the competition; journalists use it quite often.
You sure? It's a bullet on their pricing page.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I went through this journey recently. I tried a bunch of different providers. I recommend checking out privacytools.io for a good run down of some privacy-oriented providers. Email is a naturally insecure / not-private communication medium, so there's no silver bullet, but there are a lot of better-than-Google choices.

If you want something that's free, ProtonMail is one of your only not-adware choices.

If you're willing to pay a bit, you have a bunch of options:
  • Fastmail isn't explicitly privacy oriented (they're based in Australia where encryption is banned IIRC), but they promise not to scan your mails or serve ads and they have a great reputation for usability and reliability.
  • ProtonMail's paid options offer great features, and it's all encrypted at rest so your emails are about as protected as emails reasonably can be. The big downside is that ProtonMail doesn't play nice with standards like CalDAV, CardDAV, etc, so you HAVE to use their apps. I get why they did this -- those standards aren't encrypted -- but that means you're stuck with a so-so mobile email app, a beta calendar app, and no great contacts solution. I hope that over time Proton can replicate the Google ecosystem, but it isn't there yet.
  • Mailbox.org has a suite that roughly matches Google -- Mail, Docs, Sheets, Drive, Tasks, etc. Of course, none of these options are as fast, feature-rich, or intuitive as Google's options, but they do all work, and they interface easily with IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV/etc. Mailbox isn't as private as Proton by default, but it can be configured to be roughly as private, and even at default it's far better than Google. Mailbox.org is also pretty cheap.
  • Honorable mentions to some other services I tried that weren't as compelling as FastMail, Proton, or Mailbox, but are still good: Tutanota, Posteo, and Mailfence.
IMO you should decide how private you want to be / how much functionality you're willing to give up for privacy, try the providers I listed, and then go from there.

OH and definitely buy a custom domain. Then you can easily move providers around in the background without having to distribute a new email address each time.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I use Protonmail, and it's pretty good. I use a paid plan, and with that you can also use a desktop mail program like Thunderbird, while still having E2E encryption.
I am keeping eyes on their calendar, and hope they can extend their Bridge app to also allow CalDAV like features integrating it with Thunderbird. Until then I continue to use Google Calendar for that.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
My entire municipality uses g suite 😂

So Im gonna keep using it. Google Classroom is a great tool for schools for example and I hope they develop ut even further.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried leaving gmail... every other of the "privacy" related options are just not good enough, and the tradeoffs aren't worth it to me. If workspace would allow you to use your email as a sign in for Nest, then you can go to workspace to remove them from scanning and keep the same feature / functionality (plus you get push notifications on apple mail with workspace accounts).

mailbox.org and protonmail were both I tried, and both just were too much of a hassle to stay with, along with the fact that trying to tell someone your email is something other than the well known ones is an exercise in futility.

I'll give iCloud+ a try with my custom domain, that's what I'm waiting for

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I use runbox.com. Paid, but been using it for over a decade happily. Web UI had been kinda behind the times for ages but a lot better nowadays.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I recently switched to Tutanota. They're alright so far, but I've not used then much.

The important thing to note, though, is that if you want true email independence, you should also buy your own domain name. That way, you can forever be [email protected] regardless of what happens to whatever email provider you choose.

This is very important, because one day a service might ban you or go under, and you'll lose your email... which means you may not be able to log into other web sites (e.g. if they email you to verify your login). This is especially important to note with larger companies like for example Google, who can ban you because of YouTube activity and cause you to lose access to your email.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
iCloud is no frills. But it's all I need for personal email. It's what I've been using primarily for years now.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the easiest way if one wanted to transfer from gmail to iCloud for email? Ideally that's what I'd like to do, but the process has put me off.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Not judging your decision to switch, OP, but I am curious what made you decide to stop using Gmail. I personally like having Google's algorithms scan my emails. I like that if I book a plane ticket, an algorithm adds my flight details to my Google Calendar. On the day of my trip, an algorithm sends a notification to my phone telling me when I need to leave for the airport if I want to be there two hours before my flight. A week before my trip, Google Maps will ask me if I want to download a local copy of the map of the area I'm going to be traveling to. I find all of this to be really helpful. If there were Google employees or contractors just sitting there, reading my emails, and doing these things for me, I wouldn't tolerate it, but it's just a computer. If Google wants to put a couple ads in my inbox or search results about plane tickets or whatever, I am happy with that tradeoff.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Like the OP I've been considering moving on from google, I'm so fucking tired of having so many apps doing the same thing and the constant UI changes. This doesn't even begin to mention privacy concerns…

OP
OP
Grifter

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I went through this journey recently. I tried a bunch of different providers. I recommend checking out privacytools.io for a good run down of some privacy-oriented providers. Email is a naturally insecure / not-private communication medium, so there's no silver bullet, but there are a lot of better-than-Google choices.

If you want something that's free, ProtonMail is one of your only not-adware choices.

If you're willing to pay a bit, you have a bunch of options:
  • Fastmail isn't explicitly privacy oriented (they're based in Australia where encryption is banned IIRC), but they promise not to scan your mails or serve ads and they have a great reputation for usability and reliability.
  • ProtonMail's paid options offer great features, and it's all encrypted at rest so your emails are about as protected as emails reasonably can be. The big downside is that ProtonMail doesn't play nice with standards like CalDAV, CardDAV, etc, so you HAVE to use their apps. I get why they did this -- those standards aren't encrypted -- but that means you're stuck with a so-so mobile email app, a beta calendar app, and no great contacts solution. I hope that over time Proton can replicate the Google ecosystem, but it isn't there yet.
  • Mailbox.org has a suite that roughly matches Google -- Mail, Docs, Sheets, Drive, Tasks, etc. Of course, none of these options are as fast, feature-rich, or intuitive as Google's options, but they do all work, and they interface easily with IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV/etc. Mailbox isn't as private as Proton by default, but it can be configured to be roughly as private, and even at default it's far better than Google. Mailbox.org is also pretty cheap.
  • Honorable mentions to some other services I tried that weren't as compelling as FastMail, Proton, or Mailbox, but are still good: Tutanota, Posteo, and Mailfence.
IMO you should decide how private you want to be / how much functionality you're willing to give up for privacy, try the providers I listed, and then go from there.

OH and definitely buy a custom domain. Then you can easily move providers around in the background without having to distribute a new email address each time.
Cheers on the notes.

I hadn't even heard of half of these providers, and never considered that specific benefit to a vanity domain. Kinda pictured that leading to a painful process akin to porting my cell number.