• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Goblin

• I am a Goblin

Votes: 255 61.6%
  • I used to be a Goblin

Votes: 42 10.1%
  • Never-Goblin

Votes: 117 28.3%

• Total voters

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Slobbing out and giving up: why are so many people going ‘goblin mode’? | Life and style | The Guardian

The term embraces the comforts of depravity and a direct departure from the ‘cottagecore’ influence of early pandemic days

At some point in the stretch of days between the start of the pandemic's third year and the feared launch of world war three, a new phrase entered the zeitgeist, a mysterious harbinger of an age to come: people were going "goblin mode".

The term embraces the comforts of depravity: spending the day in bed watching 90 Day Fiancé on mute while scrolling endlessly through social media, pouring the end of a bag of chips in your mouth; downing Eggo toaster oven waffles with hot sauce over the sink because you can't be bothered to put them on a plate. Leaving the house in your pajamas and socks only to get a single Diet Coke from the bodega.

Apparently there was also Cottagecore Mode:

The trend represents a direct departure from the hyper-curated "cottagecore" influence of early pandemic days, a standout trend of 2020 that included pastel colors, bucolic scenery and the showcasing of wholesome homemaking skills such as baking and embroidery. Cottagecore thrived under the wistful ethos of making the best of what many people assumed would be only a few boring weeks at home in 2020.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Not as much as this guy

I don't know why but I just enjoy doing this. Maybe it's my way of dealing with stress or something but I just do it about once every week. Generally I'll carry around a sack and creep around in a sort of crouch-walking position making goblin noises, then I'll walk around my house and pick up various different "trinkets" and put them in my bag while saying stuff like "I'll be having that" and laughing maniacally in my goblin voice ("trinkets" can include anything from shit I find on the ground to cutlery or other utensils). The other day I was talking with my neighbours and they mentioned hearing weird noises like what I wrote about and I was just internally screaming the entire conversation. I'm 99% sure they don't know it's me but god that 1% chance is seriously weighing on my mind.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
69c3q3.jpg

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm definitely getting there. Sounds way more comfortable to me than the lifestyle my work has been forcing upon me.

I've been working mandatory overtime for 2.5 years. Our staffing has been critically low. I'm also a trainer at my job. The grander pass/fail rate for trainees in this career field is legitimately about 50%. We still have turn over, too, so staffing isn' getting better, and it doesn't help that at my particular workplace, the recruitment process takes 6 months. Training takes 6 months. With turnover still happening, it's like I manage to get through one trainee successfully and the last one that successfully passed quits. My manager still tries to defer other duties onto me all the time, too. I maybe get a month break from each trainee that comes through.

The skillset from this field doesn't really transition well to anything better. It transitions to other similar jobs that are arguably much worse and pay worse and that's about it.

Like, full disclosure, I'm a 911 dispatcher -- I could become a telemarketer or some shit with this skillset but that sounds absolutely miserable.

Mostly, I've been thinking about quitting, pulling my retirement out to stay afloat for a while (because I have barely been able to save -- but that's more than just my actual pay, that's a few other life situations stacked on top of one another, including some that are my own fault) and genuinely just going homeless for a while.

Suicide has also been creeping back into my mind, but at this time it's been kind of a distant thought. That said, it scares the fuck out of me that it's starting to become a thought and I'm going to start looking for help with that on my next days off.

Nov 4, 2017
Oh I went cottage core for sure. Improved my baking, did some renovations, got a Wolfie, had another baby, turned a dank old patio into an outdoor cinema, got a new flock of chickens, learned new recipes. I didn't have time or a tolerant enough wife to goblinize.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like I'm halfway into it.
Pandemic time definitely boosted this sort of behavior

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
reminds of the meme 2 types of people during the pandemic-
"I ran 10 miles before breakfast"
Or
"I'm trying to figure out how to stuff ice cream in pancakes"

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have a wife and kids, so maintaining a certain level of personal hygiene and general decorum is expected of everyone in the house. No one wants to live with goblins. If I was single? Yes, I would have goblined out a bit, I'm sure.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I have some goblin-like tendencies at home but it just depends on mood. Sometimes I'm a little bit more of a lazy slob, and sometimes I'm obsessively productive keeping the house in a livable state.

Basically, I'm a neat freak at heart but I live with two other people (who are anything BUT neat freaks) as well as pets and I gave up trying to be perfect about everything. Sometimes I'm just messy.

I say this as someone who never got cabin fever because I've stayed working a blue collar job throughout the pandemic.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
This has been a thing long before the pandemic. It's called "depression".

And yes, I was doing it before it was cool.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds to me like people were already goblining but now they just have an excuse for it.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What's it got to do with goblins? What's mischievous or evil about this mode? Maybe because goblins live underground or in a cave, so just staying inside and in bed is linked to that? lol

"Goblin mode is like when you wake up at 2am and shuffle into the kitchen wearing nothing but a long T-shirt to make a weird snack, like melted cheese on saltines," he said. "It's about a complete lack of aesthetic. Because why would a goblin care what they look like? Why would a goblin care about presentation?"​
it is associated with women wearing no makeup and mismatched sweat suits, speaking confessional-style into the camera.​
1_Harden_side_eye.jpg

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My wife likes things clean so no goblin mode for me

Back when I was single it could get that way in term of just having a giant pile of clean laundry on my bed and never folding it or putting it away. Just sleeping next to it.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like depression to me. Not saying I haven't done it, but I'm sure as hell not embracing it as the norm or a healthy lifestyle.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
This is me every Sunday. Just the though of going back to work the next day makes me just want to do nothing much less prep for anything.