• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
https://deadline.com/2021/09/hbo-max-europe-launch-date-territories-1234828438/

WarnerMedia will launch HBO Max on October 26 in six European territories, including Spain and the Nordics.

Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Spain and Andorra will be the first markets to get the service, the company said. HBO Max will be available to new customers as well as existing customers of HBO España, HBO Nordic and HBO Go. (HBO Go has disappeared in the U.S. but continues to operate in certain parts of the world.) Billing will be directly or via eligible partners. Pricing, product and programming details will be revealed at a virtual launch event in October.

WarnerMedia said 14 additional territories will go online in 2022. Included in that wave will be Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia and Slovenia. More territories are expected to be added to the list.

As the global rollout continues, the UK, Germany and Italy remain off limits for now due to a long-term distribution deal HBO struck with Sky. That deal runs through 2025, though executives have indicated they are interested in trying to negotiate an earlier exit.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Yes please.
HBO Nordic (the current solution) is an awful & shallow application with terrible bitrate and image quality. Also there's no PS5 app for HBO Nordic (only PS4). I assume there is a PS5 app for HBO Max.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if that agreement with Sky in the UK will prevent HBO Max coming to the market in Ireland.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, HBO Nordic fucking sucks. Hope this is a bit better, might even resub for a while if it is. I want to rewatch The Leftovers.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
The UK situation is frustrating. There are some HBO exclusives that come over to Sky, but others are locked away. It'd be a no-brainer for me to subscribe if it were available.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Yes please.
HBO Nordic (the current solution) is an awful & shallow application with terrible bitrate and image quality. Also there's no PS5 app for HBO Nordic (only PS4). I assume there is a PS5 app for HBO Max.
could be a simple name change at worst though, so here's hoping it's actually an upgrade.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Am i right in thinking a lot of HBO content is shown on Sky Atlantic in the UK or are we missing out a lot?

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
Yeah everyone in the nordics knows that HBO Nordic is an abomination. So this is good news as I've read that the video quality should be very much improved. I'm curious about how much content we'll get, though.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Weird. It was announced to come to The Netherlands at the end of 2021 (which I thought was strange since their deal with Ziggo lapses on Jan 1st 2022 iirc), but NL isn't included in either of the listed batches. Not the 2021 one nor the 2022 one.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sky Atlantic is about the only thing Sky have going for them outside of Sports, HBO must have been paid quite a lot to extend that deal, seems they aren't keen now but I think Sky will be desperate to hold onto it so I seriously doubt they'll renegotiate an earlier exit. Silly HBO.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Anything will be better than the HBO Nordics app we use in Spain, but I've heard nothing but horror stories of HBO Max, so weeeeeell seeee

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Sky Atlantic is about the only thing Sky have going for them outside of Sports, HBO must have been paid quite a lot to extend that deal, seems they aren't keen now but I think Sky will be desperate to hold onto it so I seriously doubt they'll renegotiate an earlier exit. Silly HBO.
The Sky original shows all seem pretty naff and visually are extremely similar looking. It's very strange but I can see a clip of a show and instantly tell whether it's a Sky Original show.

That being said, Save Me and Save Me Too are phenomenal.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Sky original shows all seem pretty naff and visually are extremely similar looking. It's very strange but I can see a clip of a show and instantly tell whether it's a Sky Original show.

That being said, Save Me and Save Me Too are phenomenal.

Yeah, haven't really watched them except Chernobyl which was co-produced with HBO. That was great though.

The TV Production deal was $250 million.

The time they extended the HBO license deal to 2020 was £275 million. Can't find any info on the latest agreement to 2025 but I would guess it's higher than 275 million.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
It's because of SKY, they always had the HBO/WB stuff exclusively for them
Sky absolutely suck as well. If you don't have them as your tv provider, you can watch HBO stuff if you subscribe to NowTV, which Sky also own, who will charge you extra for 1080p over 720p. In 2021. With no 4K at all.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sky absolutely suck as well. If you don't have them as your tv provider, you can watch HBO stuff if you subscribe to NowTV, which Sky also own, who will charge you extra for 1080p over 720p. In 2021. With no 4K at all.

They all suck with regards to HD, why you have to pay extra for basic HD is robbery, let alone UHD.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

What's silly about HBO/Warner cashing the enormous cheque Sky wrote them versus taking a risk on a VOD service that may or may not succeed?

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Great! Does anyone know if The Many Saints of Newark's going to be there day one?

kristmen

Sep 22, 2020
Anyone with HBO Max, how is the streaming/image quality compared to say Amazon Prime Video?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's silly about HBO/Warner cashing the enormous cheque Sky wrote them versus taking a risk on a VOD service that may or may not succeed?

True but in hindsight maybe not since they want to get out of the deal now but different management, different time, too early before HBO Max started but they old deal did run until 2020 so they could have seen it out before extending for 5 years but like you say, huge chunk of money versus a maybe with a HBO Max. I didn't realise the timelines were that close.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Pretty sure other countries have local TV services they could sell their stuff to piecemeal too if they felt like it. Not sure what is different about the UK.

Most of the other countries involved already have an HBO service. HBO have always sold their content to the UK because Sky is willing to pay big bucks for it.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Got the email from HBO earlier today. Finally! And big fuck (send)off to HBO Nordic…

Hopefully the pricing will be good. I have no idea what to expect content wise though.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. What's HBO Max? What does this mean beyond a name change?

According to some HBO person it will mean better technology, more content and "an attractive price."
Who knows what that means.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

AT&T was in huge debt after acquiring Time Warner so I suppose licensing their content to Sky helped offset the costs of trying to be a new market player in European territories where Sky has a market share.

It was still an incredibly stupid idea of AT&T to license their HBO and Max Original content to Sky.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Ok. What's HBO Max? What does this mean beyond a name change?

According to some HBO person it will mean better technology, more content and "an attractive price."
Who knows what that means.
A ton more content, it also should mean that WB movies releasing in 2021 are going to be there on the same day as in theaters and in 2022 45 days after releasing on theaters.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
checking the website there's a major lack of information about devices it'll support, the resolution and if they'll have HDR, and nothing really concrete about content, and no pricing.
Basically says "if you have hbo nordic, that'll transfer to hbo max on the 26:th" which makes me almost think, it'll be a simple rebrand and nothing else...
A ton more content, it also should mean that WB movies releasing in 2021 are going to be there on the same day as in theaters and in 2022 45 days after releasing on theaters.
This would be great, but I highly doubt they'll do this for Sweden/Nordics, or most of Europe.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
can't believe my family in the balkans will probably have hbo max before me due to us in germany being stuck with sky. fucking hell man

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
HBO Nordic has always been a special kind of terrible, abysmal streaming quality compared to competing services at the same price point, no 4K/HDR and poor bitrate, and their app has always been lacking.

Hopefully the switch to Now makes it worth keeping.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
And France is not even listed in the 2022 schedule...Sigh..
Well they are working with OCS for most of their original stuff. As long as there's a contract and/or both sides are happy Max ain't going to land in France for better or worse.
And when I say worse I'm talking about AV quality unfortunately.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
HBO Nordic has always been a special kind of terrible, abysmal streaming quality compared to competing services at the same price point, no 4K/HDR and poor bitrate, and their app has always been lacking.

Hopefully the switch to Now makes it worth keeping.
I hope they keep the same bitrate from the US. Nordics go at like 3Mb/s while HBO Max reaches around 7 with peaks of 13 for the same 1080p content.