• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Haven Studios (Jade Raymond's new venture) has welcomed a few new starters to their team.

Former General Manager of Google's Stadia Games Sebastien Puel started this month and is one of the co-founders.

Corey May is the studio's World/IP Director. Previously: Google Stadia Games' Head of Creative Services & Publishing.

Jonathan Dankoff is Haven Studios' Insights Director. And yes, he worked previously as well at Google Stadia (Staff UX Researcher).

Both Erwann Le Rouzic and Francis Denoncourt joined the studio as Concept Artist. Both worked previously at...Google Stadia.

Pierre-Marc Bérubé joined as Software Engineer. Previously: Graphics Programmer at Google Stadia.

Some big names that just left google to join haven studio. Thanks for Cyberia for pointing these out in Sony FP thread.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
That's not surprising. Good to see that they felt that partnership was worth continuing and that they still want to make games. That's good news :D. The question is whether they make something that is trying to push the limits of tech and make use of things like streaming (probably not?) or something in a different direction altogether.

I mean.. what does an Insights Director do.. exactly..?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, so was it really like "Oh look, Microsoft bought Zenimax, so let's cancel/phase out Stadia"?

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Wow, so was it really like "Oh look, Microsoft bought Zenimax, so let's cancel/phase out Stadia"?
I think it was happening regardless, but couple the pandemic with lower than expected results for Stadia, Walmart and Tencent waiting in the wings, Luna launching and Xbox doubling their first party and I think Google realized the costs of trying to disrupt a market like gaming, especially when one of its incumbents has significant reason to want to expand its cloud gaming capabilities.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

I think it was more around finally understanding how tough the battle would be, and how uncertain the outcome would be.

I'd say the crazy demand for the next gen consoles also played a part. Hard to keep happily chugging along on a cloud-only solution when the market's going crazy for conventional consoles.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
So I guess Stadia will eventually shutter their store and instead try to offer their tech and servers to other players in the industry. But I'm having a hard time imagining who will be interested. MS obviously not. Sony recently made a deal with MS for use of their Azure stack for its cloud gaming services, so they might be off the table as well. Amazon has their own tech and servers. Most other publishers like EA or Activision aren't big enough to compete with MS, I feel. That leaves Nvidia. Nvidia does have their own tech, but they might be interested in Google's server network. Even so, I kinda feel that Google is unlikely to get great terms from Nvidia.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of talent signing up to Haven, bet both the studio and Sony are pleased at this development. It'll be interesting to see how their first game develops, now that they are with a publisher who has considerable experience with successful games.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
It's smart of them to partner with Sony who has a proven track record with gaming and understands what it takes to be successful. Hopefully this leads to success for Haven. They can use a win after Stadia.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Oh wow. I'm surprised that there wasn't a no-poach clause with Raymond's exit.
I bet because they closed it more sudden and did not let them even come out with a first project that all went out the window.
Maybe she got an offer like hey here is 6 months worth of pay or leave now have do whatever you want.
And since Jade can work anywhere in the industry I get she was like get out of here and start my own thing.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that tells us a lot about how Google see Stadia as an ongoing concern.
It doesn't look like they're going to be needing a "head of creative services and publishing" anyways. So, why bother?

The industry really has to get around to standardising job titles...
That's a hard thing to do in a non-regulated industry and you could probably only achieve that in one region/country. That doesn't include the fact that some studios, in the same state and company, just don't have same titles; Naughty Dog doesn't have producers (the team leads fill this position) while Santa Monica basically has a small army of producers and assistant producers.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
its hard to penetrate streaming market with out having a really good library of games. I only see MS and maybe Sony succeeding in figuring it out eventually.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I think that tells us a lot about how Google see Stadia as an ongoing concern.

Yeah. This tells me that Google doesn't mind talent leaving Stadia. They've made peace with changing direction drastically.

I bet because they closed it more sudden and did not let them even come out with a first project that all went out the window.
Maybe she got an offer like hey here is 6 months worth of pay or leave now have do whatever you want.
And since Jade can work anywhere in the industry I get she was like get out of here and start my own thing.

Yeah. But typically your contract has exit clauses and typically poaching until a period of time after your exit is a no-no, otherwise exiting leaders might poach an entire team that they are comfortable working with.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Only a matter of time before Stadia leaves itself behind to form a new studio working on non-Stadia projects.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Resetera>Internet>resetera
Cyberia on Resetera broke the news, linking the professional profiles of both former Stadia employees showing the change in direction. Other names that have made the jump over to Haven under Raymond's leadership include former staff UX researcher Jonathan Dankoff as Haven's insights director, Erwann Le Rouzic, Francis Denoncourt, and Pierre-Marc Bérubé.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Yeah. But typically your contract has exit clauses and typically poaching until a period of time after your exit is a no-no, otherwise exiting leaders might poach an entire team that they are comfortable working with.
Very true that typically it does.

But in this case it seems that they do not care at all and they are all just allowed to join Jade studio like that.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
True, but sometimes (at least in my case) it has to do with geography. If these folks are in San Francisco or LA, but Haven is in Montreal the non-compete agreement clause is unenforceable given the distance involved. In the event they were leaving one LA studio for another down the road, yeah that could fall into some legal problems. Who knows.