Feb 14, 2024
Got into it for a while at release, then forgot it existed, then heard a lot of stuff about how the game balance was totally messed up and that the game became pay to win. Then radio silence from 2018 onward. Is the game good now?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Got into it for a while at release, then forgot it existed, then heard a lot of stuff about how the game balance was totally messed up and that the game became pay to win. Then radio silence from 2018 onward. Is the game good now?
It's good, but yeh I say that as someone who's played for years and has built up a decent collection. I only buy the battlepass for ranked play each month, but that ends up giving a tonne of gold.

Still, you can F2P and do well as long as you're smart about your dust/gold/etc..., loads of people do it and stay competitive hitting Legend.

OP
OP
Mobius and Pet Octopus
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm not thinking about buying anything, more in terms of 'playing in an environment that is restricted to that time of the game's history', if that's at all possible. Like levelling in an old expansion in WoW, effectively. Happy to do so against AI if it's the case that there aren't human players doing that, of course!

You shouldn't have to buy anything, just use in game gold. But I guess you could play wild for that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Can't find any info on these 10 golden standard packs.. anyone have any idea if it's only for returning players or something?

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Can't find any info on these 10 golden standard packs.. anyone have any idea if it's only for returning players or something?

How-to-unlock-the-10-Year-Anniversary-card-back-in-Hearthstone-968x544.jpg

Not my image, I don't have that much gold saved up, but I think OP is mistaking this 10th anniversary card back earned for playing 10 games for 10 golden packs. Or at least, I don't have this 10 golden packs quest either.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Not my image, I don't have that much gold saved up, but I think OP is mistaking this 10th anniversary card back earned for playing 10 games for 10 golden packs. Or at least, I don't have this 10 golden packs quest either.
Okay, cheers! I was hoping it was that and I didn't miss out lol. I've got that card back too, the image of the card could easily be mistaken for 10 packs yeh.

OP
OP
Mobius and Pet Octopus
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I thought it was 10 packs but it's just a thing that looks like it lol, hence I said it appears to give 10 packs. Oops.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
I used to love this game when it was first released but bounced off it when the power creep became too much and you had to spend a lot on new card packs to get the power cards. I used to love playing control decks, my favorite was coming up against a murlock spammer and clearing their board when they had no cards left in hand