• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This seems to become a (maybe concerning) thing recently.
Due to over 6000 Games releasing on Steam last year and the oversaturation of Indie titles on that platform, developers find the most success on other platforms like the Switch or HD Twins lately.
Just pure quantity of titles available on one platform is not always the best.

Owner data according to Steamspy:
DVNf4Z2XkAA7Trd.jpg:large

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
The Steam storefront (and community) have needed a severe curation overhaul for years.
Indies will still release there, but it might become more of a secondary thing in the bear future compared to consoles.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had to look up what this game was, sadly. There are just so many games coming out it is a hard thing to have a breakaway hit.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm curious if Steam reviews could also play a part in it? I rarely care what reviews/star ratings are on other store fronts but I often skim reviews on Steam and sometimes will delay purchasing something if in my skimming it sounds like there's too many problems to appeal to me. With that said this game is "Mixed" on Steam and I have it marked as "not interested."

Definitely not saying Steam doesn't have an issue with the amount of crap that floods the market but I just imagine there's other factors, too.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You will have to provide more recent example before calling it a thing. Switch indie titles outperforming Steam counterparts (or other systems) is a special case - doubt these games would sell much better there even if Switch wasnt a thing. An even then its not like those Indie games sell much more on other PC storefront compared to Steam.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Never heard of it until this thread. You could say that Steam has become a problem, but maybe some devs should do better at promoting their product.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
It has bad reviews on Steam, so I imagine that would hurt curiosity driven sales a lot.

It also has a Metacritic of 38, and that's going to embed for a lot of Steam users.

OP
OP

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

slasherjpc

Oct 25, 2017
Well the game is also extremly janky and not that great honestly so that doesn't help it either.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
First time I'm hearing about the game. Not surprised it didn't perform well on Steam considering its poor ratings there. It's hard to sell well when there are a lot of negative reviews.

I mean 73% isn't a super low score, but for a platform known for its heavily inflated user ratings it's really bad, so I wouldn't have expected good sales unless it's a well established AAA franchise or Twitch phenomenon. With that in mind 500k is actually an incredibly high number for such a game, so I'd be grateful for every little bit on every platform.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The game had a Kickstarter campaign and is sold directly from the publisher athttp://www.helloneighborgame.com/

Sure that would explain overall low sales, but not exactly the platform skew

Yes it would, if people have better games to buy, people will buy these. Okami HD released on the same day and sold over 100k copies on Steam (Out of 400k in totals for 3 platforms which are PS4/XB1/PC)

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I hear it's alpha release is WAYYYY better then the finished product. Does anyone know what the fuck happened in development?

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I've seen reviews for this game and it looks terrible, the "puzzles" aren't based on logic and are very cryptic. 500K sales seems like a lot for a game that has a Metacritic score of 38%.

OP
OP

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it would, if people have better games to buy, people will buy these. Okami HD released on the same day and sold over 100k copies on Steam (Out of 400k in totals for 3 platforms which are PS4/XB1/PC)
So you want to tell me there are no better games to play on Xbox One or the whole PC market outside of Steam?
What about all those Indie games performing the best on Switch. Also no other good games to play on that platform?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Btw on the same period, you also have They are billions which release. Nearly 500k copies sold.

So you want to tell me there are not better games to play on Xbox One or the whole PC market outside of Steam?
What about all those Indie games performing the best on Switch. Also no other good games to play on that platform?

Well, it's pretty worrying if, indeed, you want to make the case for a game that scored so poorly. Yeah, people tend to avoid games that gets terrible reviews from Steam users. I guess you can't see on the publisher site (which btw was the only way to buy the game during beta/alpha and kickstarter) when the game is just bad.

As for indie games performing the best on Switch, it all depends on the title itself and the context. Yes, some by nature will perform better. But let's be honest, the offer has yet to be up to par.

Oct 29, 2017
500k is a travesty for a game with a 38 MC when that took Hellblade three months to sell, lol. Don't know it's particularly indicative of a problem. The game is perhaps advertised too well.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I remember reviews destroyed this game. I don't know how much of an impact that has but in my mind steam users normally do care a lot about stuff like that.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
It's an indie game with mixed reviews that I had not heard of before.

60k owners is actually more than I would expect given that situation.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It reviewed so badly that the devs are featuring a 3/10 review score on the game's store page..

Edit: nvm its enhanced steam showing the reviews up

Deleted member 35446

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2017
"Too many games" is a non-issue.

If you cut down on the number of games, this one would be one of the ones that don't make it anyways.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Bad reviews
Meme streamers
Game is terrible in general
Much better games at the same time

Pick your poison

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you want to tell me there are no better games to play on Xbox One or the whole PC market outside of Steam?

Compared to the other platforms? Yeah, the library on switch is a tiny fraction compared to the others. If you played most of the nintendo releases by now then what else is there? Indie releases.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
It has bad reviews on Steam, so I imagine that would hurt curiosity driven sales a lot.

It also has a Metacritic of 38, and that's going to embed for a lot of Steam users.

Yup, just went to the store page in vanilla Steam in an incognito browser window and the metacritic of 38, as well as "mixed" reviews is right there on the storage page. That's something you definitely don't get in the MS store, retail, or the dev's site.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Awful game sells the least on Steam? Clearly the store is working as intended then, keeping people away from the trash.

Or Steam users have more discerning taste.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly i'm shocked it's at 500k considering it was panned. Is there something fishy going on? Anyhow, it's not clear if total PC sales are still the majority. If you are Steam naysayer then you'd use this to slam Steam on it's lack of curation etc. Others will commend how outside-of-Steam PC sales accounted for a big portion as a plus for 'competition' , no Steam monopoly etc.

kliklik

Oct 26, 2017
I watched this a while back on Outside Xbox. They rarely say negative things about games while playing them but they did with this one. It could be that the Steam community is a bit more savvy than buyers at retail or on Xbox (e.g. more inclined to view the overall review score on the Steam page, watch Lets Plays, read impressions vs. going off marketing images)

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
The game is terrible. So the game does not deserve any more sales than it is getting, so it's not a big issue.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Tried it a while ago and it was allrdy so buggy in the half hour i played it that i promptly refunded it, i like the concept but that was just a bit too much i agree with all the negative reviews the game was just crap when i played it, if the game is as buggy on consoles and the users there accept this i don't know what to say.

OP
OP

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Compared to the other platforms? Yeah, the library on switch is a tiny fraction compared to the others. If you played most of the nintendo releases by now then what else is there? Indie releases.
That's what I'm talking about (even in the OP). The quantity of games on a platform.
The person i was replying to talked about quality. And that it sold worse on Steam, because the game is bad.

Last edited:

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely couldn't be the Early Access reviews warning people it was trash before they bought it.