• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
It's a surprisingly good game. Feels like too many reviewers who hate that style of humor chose to review it anyways - makes too many of the reviews useless.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That's nice. It's quite a fun game which I'm enjoying.
I don't think it will stay up long because it's a single player game but very encouraging to see a new IP do well like this.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Turns out Era's tastes and the general public's taste aren't always in alignment.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The stats person inside me would love to see age statistics for this game. I feel like it is attracting more mid 20s than would be the norm

I dont hate the game, I dont love it either, but I understand why it would be loved by some.

I NEED STATS

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's a way better shooter then I was expecting.

It's not DOOM eternal or anything but there's a lot of room for player expression. Feels very Halo at times.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Game has Joel Haver in it (atleast I am pretty sure thats them) so it deserves all the sucess automatically.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
It's a surprisingly good game. Feels like too many reviewers who hate that style of humor chose to review it anyways - makes too many of the reviews useless.

I mean, those reviews are no less valid. As someone who is not all the way in on Roiland style humor (aside from him just being kind of a dirtbag), it would be nice to know if the actual game parts are redeemable enough to counteract the humor.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
The way NPC dialogue reacts to the player is very impressive but I just can't handle that type of humour, absolutely unbearable

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
useless in what way?
Kinda like somebody who hates soccer reviewing Fifa. Like who is the review for? Customers who don't like this style of humor aren't going to be interested in it - and those that do will be fine. If a reviewer is on the fence or whatever, sure. But any reviewer who actively dislikes this style of humor isn't really adding anything to somebody's buying decision imo.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Great game that deserves it. More creative games like this please. I don't need military shooter #1,384. I want to explore alien worlds and see things I haven't seen before. Talking gun? I can't think of a game that did it this well.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Godspeed to whoever can enjoy this because whew it's not for me. Good for a new ip to do well though

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Damn. I mean, this was probably my most anticipated game for the end of the year, but did not expect this indie to do these kind of numbers.

Although I maybe should have have seen some of this coming - my nephew who mostly plays the big AAA games was excited for this one and I had no clue how he'd even heard about it. Doesn't even own an Xbox or PC, lol.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
I've been surprised at how much I've been enjoying it. I don't care for Rick and Morty much at all but some of the things this game is doing have been pretty funny and/or interesting.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gotta give it to the game for allowing content such as rapid-fire jokes that's easy to share on social media.
Kinda like somebody who hates soccer reviewing Fifa. Like who is the review for? Customers who don't like this style of humor aren't going to be interested in it - and those that do will be fine. If a reviewer is on the fence or whatever, sure. But any reviewer who actively dislikes this style of humor isn't really adding anything to somebody's buying decision imo.
Don't see a use to someone's buying decision if the reviewers already like the style or genre of game, it's just then an echo chamber.

And no, if you read the reviews, it wasn't criticised for the type of humor (plenty of the critics liked other Roiland works like Rick and Morty or Solar Opposites or previous Squanch Games), but for its pacing, the narrative, along with enemy variety, bosses, and structure.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand the appeal of Justin Roiland's style of humor. I just don't get it.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Word of mouth has been quite positive. Seen it a lot via Twitter and especially Tiktok. Also Game Pass itself is a marketing tool no?

Yeah but there are normally still more than just that?

All I saw was it mentioned during a conference in the last 6-12 months?

It's still nice to see.
It's be nice if some marketing budgets weren't as large as games and successful.

OCL

Banned
Jun 17, 2022
You can thanks twitter and tiktok for that, because tbh the game is really not that good

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I will never understand the appeal of Justin Roiland's style of humor. I just don't get it.
I hate Rick & Morty and can't stand more than a few seconds of it but I loved Trover and High On Life is really great so far too. I think the style works best when the player has some degree of control and can sort of poke around the world and see the character's reactions, that's the best stuff in these games by a mile.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
While the humor is helping it's popularity, there is a very solid game here, i'm having a lot of fun gameplaywise, also the graphics are pretty, the art direction is very nice.

I'm not even the biggest fan of this type of humer btw.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of the reviews are useless, if the humor doesn't hit than the game loses alot of charm and I can see why the humor isn't for everyone. It's very hit and miss imo.