• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Coming down to Houston for a few days later this week from Chicago. Looking for any advice on your fair city. Things to do? Best places to eat? Areas to avoid? Going to see the Astros on Friday, so any tips on that would be welcome as well. Thanks!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I am not from there but I plan on going some time next year so I'll be watching this thread!

The Space Center looks cool, probably worth the half-day trip.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Avoid The Pit Room. One of the worst BBQ joints I've been to. It's highly rated for some reason though.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Ninfa's on Navigation is kind of out of the way in East Houston but it's the absolute best fajitas I've ever had. El Tiempo is more common and my number 2 and they're somewhat tangentially related to the same family/business. Try not to get dragged to an even pricier Pappasito's over those two. I'm also a big fan of Goode Company Seafood.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've been in Houston most of my life. But seeing stuff like Pit Room is bad, and El Tiempo is good in here has me thinking my opinions don't align with others.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Texas might be having some power issues this week.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I think you guys are just horribly wrong about El Tiempo haha

www.yelp.com

El Tiempo Cantina - Navigation - Houston, TX

Delivery & Pickup Options - 359 reviews of El Tiempo Cantina - Navigation "It pains me to not give an El Tiempo 5 stars, but the Navigation location is still working out the kinks. The food and friendly waitstaff definitely outweighed the fact that our food came out a little slow and a little...

www.yelp.com

Lupe Tortilla - Houston, TX

528 reviews of Lupe Tortilla "Good Mexican food. My fajitas were a little overmarinated with their special lime marinade, but I don't think this is normal. Oversized fresh tortillas for the fajitas. Chips were good. You get a pitcher of water for refills. Presentation is nice and portions were...

At least the one on Navigation that I always ate at. I don't know what this "pasta in the rice" bit is about either because I certainly didn't get that.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I think you guys are just horribly wrong about El Tiempo haha

www.yelp.com

El Tiempo Cantina - Navigation - Houston, TX

Delivery & Pickup Options - 359 reviews of El Tiempo Cantina - Navigation "It pains me to not give an El Tiempo 5 stars, but the Navigation location is still working out the kinks. The food and friendly waitstaff definitely outweighed the fact that our food came out a little slow and a little...

www.yelp.com

Lupe Tortilla - Houston, TX

528 reviews of Lupe Tortilla "Good Mexican food. My fajitas were a little overmarinated with their special lime marinade, but I don't think this is normal. Oversized fresh tortillas for the fajitas. Chips were good. You get a pitcher of water for refills. Presentation is nice and portions were...

At least the one on Navigation that I always ate at. I don't know what this "pasta in the rice" bit is about either because I certainly didn't get that.
Never been to the one on Navigation. Only the one on Montrose and Washington. Both which have always been meh. But Houston is massive, with many locations of each, so who knows.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Dak and Bop, twice fried chicken.

Also are you a white Sox fans? Cause we have a policy at Minute Maid of no white Sox fans.

YoungOne

Nov 3, 2020
Check out Turkey Hut, Breakfast Club, and Taste Bar if the lines aren't long. Houston has an amazing food scene.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Never been to the one on Navigation. Only the one on Montrose and Washington. Both which have always been meh. But Houston is massive, with many locations of each, so who knows.

You know that's totally reasonable especially considering that El Tiempo on Navigation is right next to Ninfa's and basically exists as a giant middle finger supposedly stemming from the falling out that family had. Wouldn't shock me if that location was held to a higher standard.

edit: But if you're from out of town and on Navigation, you should really just be eating at Ninfa's anyway.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I've been in Houston most of my life. But seeing stuff like Pit Room is bad, and El Tiempo is good in here has me thinking my opinions don't align with others.

I lived in Houston for most of my life too - I tried out the pit room last year for the first time - I enjoyed it for the most part lol

@OT - the highways are a mess , traffic is the worst here

The Hibachi Japanese/Chinese restaraunt in Katy was nice when I last visited precovid....not sure how they are now especially since I heard they have new owners

Can't really recommend much restaurants since I don't eat out much

But I recommend going to the museum district and visit the Cockrell butterfly center.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Give Lucille's a shot. They aren't as killer as Breakfast Klub, but the cocktails are on point. Also cosign anything off Navigation. You won't be disappointed.
I'd also suggest making your way out to Alief for some killer pho.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminds me that Houston really does feel like the best food town I've ever been to. You could spend a lifetime finding new restaurants. Unfortunately that means that just about every fun thing I did involved heavy drinking or eating (often both). Most weekends were a question of "which bar in Midtown are we going to tonight?"

The natural science museum in Houston frankly doesn't really compare to the Field Museum in Chicago and the Houston Zoo is actually pretty disappointing (at least compared to the St Louis Zoo where I've been several times). I did have fun at "Lucky Strike" in downtown Houston. Kind of a weird feeling being at a bowling alley that's on the third floor. A lot of people love Top Golf - like absolutely obsessed with it but that's a franchise in every major city.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Dak and bop is good as hell, for sure. So is Hoodadak. That covers Korean fried chicken.
Gen is good KBBQ, they do a one price all you can eat style.
Roegles BBQ is good, but a bit pricey. The brisket house is a good hole in the wall that is crazy cheap and good in the galleria area. The pit room can suck my nuts.
Killian's STQ is good steak but a bit pricey. For a great but kinda expensive steakhouse meal, Pappas Steakhouse or Brenner's are both good. Chama Gaucha is a good Brazilian steakhouse, but isn't all you can eat like Fogo de Chao or Texas de Brazil.
Kuu is good sushi, not overly expensive and relatively easy to get a table. Uchi is great, but very hard to get a table if you don't like waiting. Most of their real estate is for walk-ins. Roka akor is great too.
Main chick, Miko's, and Urban Bird are pretty good Nashville inspired hot chicken joints.
Hugo's is very good Mexican (not Tex Mex) food.
Lupe Tortilla is a safe, consistently good (if slightly overpriced) Tex Mex restaurant. avoid Ninfa's IMO. El tiempo is... Fine.
Jinya is good ramen. Ramen bar ichi rules as well, as does Tiger Den.
I swear by sharetea for boba milk tea. There's tons of options depending on where you are.

What kind of cuisine do you like? What's your budget? I can help better with a bit more info. Source: I'm an obese man in houston

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Taste of Texas is the only steak house you should really look at.

Also bbq is always expensive, even at average places. a pound of turkey is like 16 or 17 bucks at most places. I can buy a whole damn turkey brine and smoke it myself for less than that.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
You'll get a lot of responses that don't always align, Houston is big and diverse food city. One of the best cities for medium priced and cheap eats. I'll echo recs for Dak & Bop and skip El Tiempo and just go to Lupe Tortilla. More fun, more consistent, you'll have a good time. Ninfas on Navigation is fine, good even, but it's over recommended.

Roostar is my favorite bahn mi though you aren't lacking for good options. More recently before I left the city I took to Lua Viet for the chicken curry.

Himalaya was on TV but lives up to the hype so whatever try it out. Mala Sichuan is another favorite.

Put me in the pro Pit Room camp unless something about it changed (outside of being stupidly busy).

My favorite breakfast was by far Guadalupana, I don't mind sending folks their way now that I no longer live in the neighborhood and don't care if it gets busier.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If you are into breweries, Saint Arnold Brewing Company is a fun time. Good food, wide beer selection, and it's a Houston institution
Brothers Taco House is my favorite breakfast tacos ever. Very good, very authentic.
I really enjoy Houston's Museum of Fine Arts if you are into that sort of thing.
Ninfa's on Navigation is kind of out of the way in East Houston but it's the absolute best fajitas I've ever had. El Tiempo is more common and my number 2 and they're somewhat tangentially related to the same family/business. Try not to get dragged to an even pricier Pappasito's over those two. I'm also a big fan of Goode Company Seafood.
I will second Ninfa's on Navigation, and if you go to Goode Company, be sure to try the pecan pie.
Get some Viet food and crawfish in Bellaire.
There are so many excellent Vietnamese places in Houston, it's hard to recommend just one, but I used to live by Thien An Sandwiches in midtown and I was a huge fan of their banh xeo. So good

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Avoid - East side of highway 288.

Places to eat (Way too many to list)
- Sushi Miyagi
- Wing 87
- Tamashi Ramen
- El Tiempo
- Asia Market Thai Laos food
- Ray's BBQ
- Star Pizza
- Pho 21

Places to visit
- Cidercade Houston
- The Game Preserve NASA
- Bucee's

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017

Also bbq is always expensive, even at average places. a pound of turkey is like 16 or 17 bucks at most places. I can buy a whole damn turkey brine and smoke it myself for less than that.
Pappa's Steakhouse is pretty good. ToT is not a bad starting place though.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

I'd normally agree with you about Taste of Texas, but I went there 4 days ago and they've jacked their prices up by over 40% since last year. The porterhouse is like $100 now instead of 60, can't recommend it at that price. For how expensive Taste of Texas is right now, you can actually save money by going to Pappas or Brenner's. Taste of Texas used to be an easy #1 recommendation, but now that it's so fucking expensive I think that it's outclassed per dollar by Pappas for sure. Also, no need to wait for an hour and a half for a table at Pappas, easy to get a reservation. Taste of Texas doesn't even have their kitschy popcorn and nacho stand while you wait, just overpriced drinks and limited seating, all for a limited and price inflated menu once you do finally get a table. All in all, I was incredibly disappointed by what used to be my go-to steak restaurant in Houston. I won't go back until they get their prices sorted. It was like $290 for four of us, and two of us split a steak. I'm sure that the pandemic fucked em but I didn't really appreciate getting fucked right back, my god

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'd normally agree with you about Taste of Texas, but I went there 4 days ago and they've jacked their prices up by over 40% since last year. The porterhouse is like $100 now instead of 60, can't recommend it at that price. For how expensive Taste of Texas is right now, you can actually save money by going to Pappas or Brenner's. Taste of Texas used to be an easy #1 recommendation, but now that it's so fucking expensive I think that it's outclassed per dollar by Pappas for sure. Also, no need to wait for an hour and a half for a table at Pappas, easy to get a reservation. Taste of Texas doesn't even have their kitschy popcorn and nacho stand while you wait, just overpriced drinks and limited seating, all for a limited and price inflated menu once you do finally get a table. All in all, I was incredibly disappointed by what used to be my go-to steak restaurant in Houston. I won't go back until they get their prices sorted. It was like $290 for four of us, and two of us split a steak. I'm sure that the pandemic fucked em but I didn't really appreciate getting fucked right back, my god
Pappas is very good, but i feel like you can get something like Pappas in Chicago just fine.

for me Taste of Texas is more of the quintessential experience that you dont get at other steak houses, and the salad bar is ridiculous. BUT i was not aware they raised their prices that much, thats disappointing.

We went to Killens steak house the other day, first meal out since the pandemic started, and cause its much much closer to where we live, and it was good. Feel like outside of chain places like Outback and Saltgrass your going to be dropping 100 bucks per person at any steak house, easily, though.

I would recommend Bellaire Broiler burger for total hole in the wall, no frills burger and shakes, but they closed permanently last year too. :(

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Pappas is very good, but i feel like you can get something like Pappas in Chicago just fine.

for me Taste of Texas is more of the quintessential experience that you dont get at other steak houses, and the salad bar is ridiculous. BUT i was not aware they raised their prices that much, thats disappointing.

We went to Killens steak house the other day, first meal out since the pandemic started, and cause its much much closer to where we live, and it was good. Feel like outside of chain places like Outback and Saltgrass your going to be dropping 100 bucks per person at any steak house, easily, though.

I would recommend Bellaire Broiler burger for total hole in the wall, no frills burger and shakes, but they closed permanently last year too. :(
Oh, I agree about atmosphere and experience. And the salad bar and bread cabinet is still fucking ace at Taste of Texas. The value proposition is just a bit weak at the moment, but from a "this is Texas as hell" perspective, you're right. Taste of Texas is certainly going to be unique. Also, the Snickers Pie is ace.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Kenny & Ziggy's jewish deli is really good and has big sandwiches!

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
If you're into ramen hit up Tiger Den. Some of the best food I've ever eaten.

Also Buc-ee's is like, mandatory to visit if you're in Texas. They have some good stuff there too.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
But do they still have that massive block of cheese? I haven't been there in many years but I remember that huge cheese by the salad bar.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breakfast Klub is my favorite brunch spot. Don't let the line out the door intimidate you, it usually moves really quickly.

OP
OP
Birbo

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Avoid The Pit Room. One of the worst BBQ joints I've been to. It's highly rated for some reason though.

LOL My one buddy who travels and considers himself a big foodie recommended this place. Funny to see the differing opinions on it. Might have to go there to make up my own mind and keep him quiet.

Ninfa's was on my list. Love Mexican food! I enjoy authentic, but gourmet tacos are really my thing.

This is a good twitter page to follow for those going to Houston or live here. https://twitter.com/YPHoustonTX has places I didn't know Houston had.
Here is another page to follow Houston https://twitter.com/houstonfoodiess .

These are awesome! Thanks a bunch!

Dak and Bop, twice fried chicken.

Also are you a white Sox fans? Cause we have a policy at Minute Maid of no white Sox fans.

Dak and Bop sounds intriguing. Yes, a Sox fan and thinking you might not be joking about that. Minute Maid Park wouldn't let me get tickets online because I was out of state and then kept me on hold nearly an hour on the phone before I gave up.

Anything I need to know about the park (or fans)? The night we're going there's a pre-game happy hour. I'm assuming just drink specials?

If you are into breweries, Saint Arnold Brewing Company is a fun time. Good food, wide beer selection, and it's a Houston institution
Brothers Taco House is my favorite breakfast tacos ever. Very good, very authentic.
I really enjoy Houston's Museum of Fine Arts if you are into that sort of thing.

I will second Ninfa's on Navigation, and if you go to Goode Company, be sure to try the pecan pie.

There are so many excellent Vietnamese places in Houston, it's hard to recommend just one, but I used to live by Thien An Sandwiches in midtown and I was a huge fan of their banh xeo. So good

YES hoping to hit up a few breweries. Thanks for these. Know we talking about hitting up a museum and/or zoo as well.

I'll need some Mexican food while I'm there and the wife and I dig gourmet tacos, so I was looking at Fusion Taco Canteen & Cocktails. We also both enjoy drinks, with whiskey being her favorite, so Bosscat Kitchen & Libations was on the list as well. Any input on these places?

Thanks to all for your replies. Really appreciate it.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
YES hoping to hit up a few breweries. Thanks for these. Know we talking about hitting up a museum and/or zoo as well.

I absolutely loved Karbach but that's an unpopular opinion apparently since they went "corporate" and sold out to Budweiser. Great little restaurant there too next to the brewery.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo Bayou Brewing make some of my fave beers in the entire world. Give a flight a shot!

I'm super jealous of your trip. I haven't been home in over a year. Eat all the things, drink tons of beer and try to stay cool!

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Schedule a visit to the Buffalo Bayou Cistern. It's free on Thursdays, as is our entire museum district.