• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I enjoy the character because she is fun.

Though to be fair I don't read very much DC comics. The only full series of DC comics that I have read is the Injustice series and she was easily one of my favorite characters in that. The scene where she tries to give Black Canary a muzzle for her baby had me crying.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
User Banned (2 Weeks): Sexism, exclusionary rhetoric
SC1370-2.jpg

I don't know why she is popular. Hmm, I just can't figure it out.
This is gonna take some serious masturbation, I MEAN THOUGHT, THOUGHT.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
DC has been pushing her hard since the new 52 Suicide Squad run in 2011.

Before that she was popular because she was goofy and slightly sympathetic villain character, which has continued since she's gone the anti-hero route.

Personally, not a fan of modern Harley though.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sexy, funny (she has built in opportunity for comedy), instantly iconic based on elements that are familiar (the harlequin look, the over the top accent) but combined in a unique way. Also, because of her origins as a Joker henchman, she'll automatically always have elements of a "redemption" theme in her story to varying degrees - even when redemption isn't the main crux of her story, it's always an undercurrent, and nearly anyone can identify with that.

She has appeal to a wide swath of people. I kinda prefer the slightly-naive-but-sincere firecracker antihero Harley Quinn over the modern molotov lollipop version, but either way I think all of the above applies.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
The Joker is popular.

Harley Quinn is basically the Joker with breasts.

Hence she's popular.

I'm sure it's true for some... but it's not the only reason why the character is popular nowadays. A lot of women and queer people began liking the character with the Birds of Prey movie and the Harley Quinn animated series. This is exactly what happened with me.

SC1370-2.jpg

I don't know why she is popular. Hmm, I just can't figure it out.
This is gonna take some serious masturbation, I MEAN THOUGHT, THOUGHT.

Ugh, can we not?

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the Animated Series is the only piece of Batman media I've ever really cared about, and she was one of the best things about it

Modern Harley seems significantly less fun

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I think it started as a horny nerds + manic pixie chaos girl kind of thing, and that's still a part of it.

However she has been fleshed out a lot in recent years and depending who's writing her has become somewhat of a feminist icon. I'm only on season 2 of the Harley Quinn animated show but it's great, and the Margot Robbie portrayal definitely rocketed her into the mainstream.

wow_bob_wow

Oct 28, 2017
The creators of Batman TAS tapped into some kind of shared consciousness horny. I read Mad Love for the first time last year and it was disappointing at how the horniness of Bruce Timm and Paul Dini got in the way of the story telling (though it is well illustrated). Instead of being a successful and astute psychology major, in Mad Love Harleen Quinzel sleeps her way to the top of her class. And then half the comic she's wearing this night gown and trying to seduce the Joker.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f356b526e527443464a6a795f63413d3d2d3437323330363931312e313465363362643339313562646264383138343831393533303234382e6a7067

I do think later iterations of her character are compelling. For instance, the Arkham videogame series (despite the doubling down of horny on the costuming).

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
Paul Dini came back with two new shots at the character with Arkham Asylum and Gotham City Sirens in like 2010. And although comic books really aren't popular it got the character reintroduced into main DC and also the mainstream at the same time.

I was obsessed with the character as a teenager in the early/mid 00s, so I remember that prior to that, she had a really unsuccessful solo comic (that played with the idea of her being so detached from reality that she viewed the world as a cartoon, an interesting take) and like, barely any appearances in batman storylines like Hush. Even merch or statues were really hard to come by, I remember the local comic store knew me as the 'harley quinn kid' cause I always bought statues whenever they'd come out, which wasn't often.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
tragic backstory, potential for redemption, could interact with a lot of characters in fun ways. when written well she's a goddamn riot

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Perfect mixture of being liked by young girls, having the nostalgia factor for 30/40-something dudes and being one half of both a very problematic as hell ship and a really popular WlW ship.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Harley has grown even more in the time period you are talking about but it needs to be acknowledged that Harley was immediately popular with the animated series and her popularity never stopped growing since then.

It's now less about why she became even more popular at this specific point in time and more about why does she have so much appeal as she gets introduced to more people through different forms of media.

First off she's fun. The way she interacts with other characters is entertaining.

Secondly she's hot. No matter the incarnation she looks good.

She's cool. She's the sort of counter culture character that has people admire her instead of being resistant to her.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
If you think Suicide Squad is the reason Harley is popular you're out of your mind.
You would have to be delusional to think otherwise. Harley Quinn was at best a cool character comic book nerds knew about, now she is one of the most mainstream comic book characters in existence.

Her recent surge in popularity is solely due to Suicide Squad.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
You would have to be delusional to think otherwise. Harley Quinn was at best a cool character comic book nerds knew about, now she is one of the most mainstream comic book characters in existence.

Her recent surge in popularity is solely due to Suicide Squad.
A good way to see it, google trend for Harley Quinn
avW3BoW.png

Decent uptick around the first trailer, huge one at the release of the movie. That's not to say that other product don't have an impact ( we can clearly see upticks around therelease of each season of the animated series ) but it's hard to deny that Suicide Squad is what made her popular/mainstream.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Annoyingly random like a female joker? Yep the youngins love her. She's the Deadpool/Joker of conventions where they get to run around acting like an idiot and being an ass and "it's in character". Edgy bad ass anti hero? Sure.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Everyone wants her as their abused girlfriend fantasy, who keeps returning to them and keeps loving them no matter how evil they are or the kind of abuse you give to her. Because girls always love the capable, smart BAD BOY.

i'm only half joking

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Like someone else said it was gradual, but if you're using 2016 as your point of reference then it was Suicide Squad. She was pretty popular before that, though.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Well, many responses in this thread definitely helped me understand why Birds of Prey wasn't popular with some demographics... This movie wasn't about Harley Quinn being hot so men could ogle at her so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I like her as a villain, I don't like that they turned her into a anti hero though.

She has done so much fucked up shit and killed so many people.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I became really aware of the character with Birds of Prey. I love this movie! Then I watched the Harley Quinn animated series and now I'm a fan. Which is really something for me because I usually don't like comic book stuff very much.
It's such a fun movie. Like just fun. Also really like it and had a great time with it and Margot Robbie just nails everything Quinn. Born to play that role.

Banshee

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
I always liked her design a lot - the original harlequin costume at least - and once I found out she was queer, I loved her. <3

Her style in Birds of Prey, oh lord, just the best.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
big titty goth gf

She has a story and stuff too i guess but i'm pretty sure like 85% of the general popularity stems from the eyeliner and bazongas.